Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/21 08:54:20 (permalink)

TALK ABOUT HRs!!!

just got my license for NY State and was clicking around their site. Seems rifles will be allowed in 41 of the 62 counties this year according to the one map I was looking at. And if I'm reading the regs right, semi-auto rifles would be legal if they hold less than 6 shots. Talk about reducing a deer herd! Love my Browning A-Bolt slug gun I bought when they first came out years ago. Will be stickin with this. Dead on at 200 yds. and it just loves Winchester Partition Gold slugs.

43 Replies Related Threads

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/21 15:13:33 (permalink)
    I know the NY governor recently signed a bill allowing rifles to be used in several more counties in NY. I don't believe that those counties added permit the use of semi auto rifles. Shotguns yes, but not rifles.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/21 17:17:03 (permalink)
    I kinda read it the same way as you. I'll contact a few friends in NY and ask about the regs and see if we can get a definite answer. Anyone else have any input on this topic.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/21 17:25:05 (permalink)
    This from the New York DEC webpage ==

It is unlawful to hunt big game with:

•An autoloading firearm with a capacity of more than 6 shells (one which requires that the trigger be pulled separately for each shot), except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length of less than 8 inches.

•A firearm using rimfire ammunition.

•A shotgun of less than 20 gauge or any shotgun loaded with shells other than those carrying a single projectile.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/21 18:37:43 (permalink)
    the reg is a bit confusing. it reads "an autoloading firearm". does this mean rifle or just a shotgun? it does mention "shells", which equates more to shotgun ammo. they really opened up a huge portion of the entire state to rifle. if you look at the map, all but 21 of the counties are orange (rifles allowed, along with shotguns, muzzleloaders etc.). gotta be reading this reg wrong. can't imagine semi-auto HP rifles being allowed. fill us in if you find out anything Outdoor.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/21 19:19:28 (permalink)
    I'll do my best. A few of my NY friends have replied that it's the way they read it. Although Allegheny State Park is shaded as being legal for rifles I don't believe it is. Please allowe me some time and I'll get back to this on this topic. I agree it sounds a little strange going from shotgun only to an AR with a 6 round mag. Stay tuned...
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/21 22:06:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pikepredator2

the reg is a bit confusing. it reads "an autoloading firearm". does this mean rifle or just a shotgun? it does mention "shells", which equates more to shotgun ammo. they really opened up a huge portion of the entire state to rifle. if you look at the map, all but 21 of the counties are orange (rifles allowed, along with shotguns, muzzleloaders etc.). gotta be reading this reg wrong. can't imagine semi-auto HP rifles being allowed. fill us in if you find out anything Outdoor.

Rifles and shotguns are both firearms.  Semi aout rifles are legal with a max capacity of 6 shells.  What's confusing?  What's wrong with autos?  They're legal in most states.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/21 23:07:40 (permalink)
       Been a single shot hunter for a very long time - use a Ruger #1-- Personal preference- cept in shotgun places where I use an old 870 pump with a plug in it so no more that 3 can be loaded- Mostly just put in 2. Am looking at a single shot 12 ga with a scope mount.
      HATE hearing BANG BANG BANG - yep slobs are everywhere- If a guy can aim  carefully and obtain a decent sight picture as fast as the auto shooting I hear he gotta be Superman. Honestly guys- even with pump guns we all hear it all too often- how can anyone aim and shoot in the woods or even on a range that quick?

Semis for Deer  Hunting- Just plain Bovine Field Splatter.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/22 00:55:35 (permalink)
    I can't really see it either. Ive hunted other states that semi rifles were used and didn't care much for it. Kinda scary and you want to take cover at times. I started out with a single shot, both shotgun and rifle. My primary weapon now is a bow and then usually a flintlock. I have used a handgun for deer a few times when I struck out with a bow. Used a rifle to kill both bucks and does and it doesn't do much for me. To each their own but not for me.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/22 08:26:45 (permalink)
    I used to hunt NY a lot and the shooting the first day was unreal. Some of those guys could unload a five shot shotgun fast enough it sounded like a full auto. Not sure they could hit much though.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/22 10:18:31 (permalink)
    Hey Tull-
       Know ya werent taking a postion there just pointing out the way the laws read but maybe its just my way of looking at it compared to another guys.  I just cant see where a guy will make a decent Kill shot on #6 when he couldn't do it on #1 or even #2.
      Not many Deer hang around even for #2 if you miss. Bang bang bang bang bang dont make it any more likely- in fact if those guys do connect its probably a very poor hit and that aint the way it goes in my book. Might even be that any 'hunter' doin that may not even have the ability or inclination to follow all those shots up properly.
      Just one guys point of view.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/22 15:19:14 (permalink)
    I agree with all that but....
    As a freedom loving American I think I should be able to use any action I like.  I use a Savage 99 for deer, stuff in 6 all the time.  I don't remember ever needing #3.  I don't understand how people correlate shooting faster because their action is faster.  I'm about to buy an AR, it sure would be nice to be allowed to use it coyote hunting. 

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/22 15:39:43 (permalink)
    Tull your right in a way a hunter should have choice. In NY a shotgun only reg was law for one reason, Safety. After many years of trying to get this reg omitted it finally happened giving NYers the opportunity of shooting long distance. When you throw in the fact that some will choose to shoot rapidly, safety is at a higher risk as the brain doesn't have time to adjust to the situation as in a manual shooting iron. Not all semi users are unsafe but I believe that many are in comparison to a manual operated rifle. I would also like to use my Bushmaster .223 when Pa hunting for yotes but it is what it is and safety always takes priority over choice.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/22 15:44:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: retired guy

Hey Tull-
      Know ya werent taking a postion there just pointing out the way the laws read but maybe its just my way of looking at it compared to another guys.  I just cant see where a guy will make a decent Kill shot on #6 when he couldn't do it on #1 or even #2.
    Not many Deer hang around even for #2 if you miss. Bang bang bang bang bang dont make it any more likely- in fact if those guys do connect its probably a very poor hit and that aint the way it goes in my book. Might even be that any 'hunter' doin that may not even have the ability or inclination to follow all those shots up properly.
    Just one guys point of view.

I believe I mentioned this in the Semi-auto thread, but the reason I see for one is for reduced recoil thereby allowing more diminutive shooters the ability to utilize larger calibers.  As an example, a friend of mine's son turns 12 this year (or did).  He weighs in at about 85 pounds and is not the most manly of boys (no contact sports, manual labor chores, etc.).  While a .243 would probably be his recoil limit, if a semi were permitted, he could step up to a .270 or 30-06, using normal ammuntion, and probably have about the same felt recoil.  I am not saying a .243 is not a good choice, my wife hunts with one and I have taken many deer with that caliber, but should he want to hunt something a little heftier than a PA deer, he could use the larger caliber rifle without the need to purchase another one.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/22 16:01:30 (permalink)
    In that case I can see the advantage of a semi. Unfortunately laws on gun types are for the majority and youths are not the majority especially now days.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/22 17:15:36 (permalink)
    Dar-
    Agree on the 'kick factor' with the single or bolt guns and its affect on some folks.. its probably a tough thing to legislate a law that would allow a small person or youth  to do one thing and an average adult another.
         Betcha that kid is out with an adult who would have a fit if he started banging away with a whole clip  at a deer. Perhaps the issue isnt the kind of gun being carried but the capacity of the clip when Deer hunting. 2 or 3 is plenty.
          As much as I dislike the 30/30 for deer thats where I intend to start my oldest grandson. Close up and personal or not at all- Got his whole life in front of him after the first learning coupla years. He will grow.
    That said my 06 Ruger #1 is a very smothe shooter and would be even lighter with a lighter cartridge.
    Would agree  with the semi for stuff like Yotes and was only directing my issue to Deer Hunting.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/08/22 17:18:10
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/22 17:52:51 (permalink)
    I have never been a "gun person", hardly know one caliber from another... and probably could not name 6 manufacturers...

I only own a 30/30 Marlin.. WWII 30/40 Krag(I never shot it).. 1 22 Glenfield bolt action rifle.. 1 22 Remington semi-auto rifle (brand new in the box)...410, 20 and 12 gauge shotgun, 2 handguns,and my Red Ryder BB gun

I love my 30/30 lever action and was just curious why retired guy wrote this...

mind ya === I'm not trying to start a debate but just wondering why ??

As much as I dislike the 30/30 for deer
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/08/22 17:54:38
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/22 21:38:01 (permalink)
    Hi Doc-
      You might want to go back to the thread a coupla months ago where that kid was asking about what cal. and style of rifle to purchase for Deer hunting.
    I might agree that many of us started with the 30/30 for a first gun and that it was the most popular Cal. for many years way back when. Like in the 30s right through the 60s - just a decades worth of guessing there.
    Fact of the matter is that is just does not hold up against the modern cartridges and calibers. It got better when they added the 170 grain to the initial 150 but it was still a short distance gun that was minimal for deer at any distance. Think most of us have one in the cabinet though.
    Frankly it probably does OK out of a stand at a few yards but not at any distance consistently- just not enough speed or energy.
       Yea I know guys will tell stories bout their long shots - had one or two myself that were OK with it but not a preferred cal. by any stretch. Did a dopy kid shot up in Sugar Grove in Warren  County Pa once with it and dropped a fine 9 point through the neck at about 150 yards- PURE LUCK = back then I thought it was skill.
      Simply does not hold up to the more or less equally priced .270 or .06 or some others by any stretch. Check the ballistics and you may be shocked. There was a nice chart one of the guys posted on that other Thread for the kid.

Doc - just checked and it was in the Big Game Thread- by a kid called Leolizard --Titled -'Good Starter Rifle'- got real deep by a lot of dedicated rifle guys on  deer guns.  Hate to say it but that MAY have been the one where you mentioned shootin a pumpkin. lol.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/08/22 21:56:34
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/22 21:55:55 (permalink)
    Thanks I'll check it out,

but from what you posted I can see why I like mine..

95% of my shots are less than 60 yards in cover and have had very little tracking.. so I guess that is why I don't know any better about possibly better rifles or longer shots .. Thanks...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/22 22:03:26 (permalink)
    Doc-
        If I was always in that kind of situation I may have never bought another gun. Actually in  a place like that I prefer a 12 Ga.. NOTHING drops a deer up close like a 12 Ga IMHO.
      Have been looking real hard at some of those new 12 Ga singles that have a scope capability - just cant see those open sights properly anymore.
      Would use it here in Deer Country ( Ct.) where its shotgun only on the State lands.
       Those new shotguns are nothing like throwing those old pumpkin balls outa a smooth barrel- they can shoot and they can reach out a bit too. Dont break the bank either.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/22 22:16:18 (permalink)
    LOL... yeah I harvested a couple whitetails with a 12 gauge while in the Air Foirce stationed in Delaware... and two in Allegheny County here in Pa.. just never tried one around here though ...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/08/22 22:17:17
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/22 22:17:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

I would also like to use my Bushmaster .223 when Pa hunting for yotes but it is what it is and safety always takes priority over choice.

No, percieved safety always takes priority over common sense.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/22 22:30:32 (permalink)
    Actually wouldn't the semi-auto aquire the sight picture a little faster than say a pump, lever action, or bolt.

Just the movement of racking in another shell would take you off your sight picture and you'd have to reaquire.

With the reduced recoil the gun would also travel less. I know when I touch off my little Rem. Mohawk 308 w/180gr round noses, you want to make the first shot count cause it kicks and bucks like a mule.

As for my area here I kind of dislike the idea, turning all these young amish boys loose with semi autos might get a little sketchy..
    Mabee only in the big woods.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/22 22:41:00 (permalink)
    .25/06
    .30/06
    7mm-08
    30/30

That's all you really need in PA.

Even then a .30-06 180 grain is too much power. I shoot 150 grain out of my 30/06 and the deer dont move
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/23 00:02:11 (permalink)
    Fact of the matter is that is just does not hold up against the modern cartridges and calibers. It got better when they added the 170 grain to the initial 150 but it was still a short distance gun that was minimal for deer at any distance. Think most of us have one in the cabinet though.
    Frankly it probably does OK out of a stand at a few yards but not at any distance consistently- just not enough speed or energy

Sorry RG I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.The development on new cartridges have made the 30-30 quite a shooter now days pushing a 160 grain bullet at 1970 feet per second. When zeroed at 100 yards the 160 only drops 3.5 inches at 200 Not bad for a short action 30 caliber.

I think that there are two key features that hurt the lever 30-30. One is the tubular magazine in which the cartridges are piggy backed. Depending on what type and how the hand loader experiments a chain reaction of discharging the entire magazine is a possibility. The new more officiant higher pressure cartridges use specially designed bullets to keep this from occurring.

The second feature I don't care for is the hammer. Depending on what model the hammer is half cocked to be considered in the safe mode. If the chamber is loaded and the hammer is up against the cartridge and the gun accidentally hit the ground hammer first, it will discharge (again depending on model). Also you have to cycle the action through to unload making the possibility of a unwanted discharge likely if you happen to bump the trigger while cycling.

OK so thats my view on the 30-30 lever. If you would be interested in seeing some modern cartridge test data I could probably dig some up for you.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/23 00:03:55 (permalink)
    .25/06
    .30/06
    7mm-08
    30/30

That's all you really need in PA.

Or a sharp stick
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/23 00:35:22 (permalink)
    OA-
    Thanks- haven't used it for Deer in so long I haven't heard bout any ammo improvements like that New? 160.
    Thats a good thing cause so many have been retired for newer calibers- Do you know if the older lever guns can handle the new cartridge safely?
    Got mine as a birthday Gift from dad when I turned 18 while in the  Service. That was bout 46 yrs ago -WOW. Would love to feel comphy enough to take one  more Deer with it.
    You been around long enough and I have read enough of your stuff to trust our opinion on the 160- no need to prove it with more stats to me. My gun has a half **** and I never carried more than a couple in the tube anyhow.
      Wouldnt trust my eyes at distance with the open sight  so it would be a well inside 100 shot.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/08/23 00:45:30
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/23 00:45:19 (permalink)
    Those Winchester model 94 (or equivalent) are kinda cool if you ask me. I have one I picked up long ago for investment. Like I mentioned a bow is my primary weapon but I still enjoy shooting the 94 at paper. I'll see what I can dig up for you. You like I would like to be able to relive those days as a kid. What brand and model do you have?
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/23 00:53:32 (permalink)
    Yea like to ' go back' sometimes
    He gave me a Winchester' Buffalo Bill' rifle with the long octagan barrel. There was a shorter barrel model made as well.
    Used to be pretty accurate out there a bit. Like I said to Doc, once took a Warren County 9 at around 150 yds with the 150 shell. LUCK and Young guy idiocy.
    Lucky thing,  hit it where I aimed- neck shot, probably could have never made that shot agin and in older hindsight should never have made the first one.
    Took others with it, but that was the 'memory' deer.
    Yea- had a chance or two at the nice old ones and never picked them up DARN- never had the bucks back then to play.
      Did more hunting for quite a while there with the bow than the gun but have pretty much gone back to the gun for a few  years now- the PVT property thing here has gone down a bit for me and the places I have are hunted a bit and get some pressure so the bow just got harder and harder. Besides the Salmon run during bow season.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/08/23 00:59:27
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TALK ABOUT HRs!!! 2011/08/23 00:55:45 (permalink)
    OK RG take a look at this article by Chuck Hawks. It's packed with lots of good info on the development of the newer cartridges for the 30-30. Once you let me know what gun you have I'll try and see what I can find as to older guns and higher pressure ammo.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leverevolution.htm
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: