StCroix Boy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/24 11:55:21 (permalink)

Steelhead Daycare?

Hello All
fIRST OFF A DISCLAIMER..
I do Not want to offend anyone This is not a agumentitive post nor do I wish to upset any parents or kids.(I'm a dad myself)
I was wondering if anyone else has this happening around them when they fish...
Incident 1. Dad, Mom and kids come to the creek .Dad and oldest kid fish ,while younger kid plays in the water throws rocks ..mom tring to control all going on and fails miserably  -oldest kid is trowing across lines and snagging fish --DAD oblivious to all this has back turned and fishing without a care in the world.
Incident 2. Dad brings 8yr old girl to creek --muscles her into one of the best spots ..(and whos gonna complain about a little girl wanting to fish with her dad)every one moves over he then gives her a 4 ft ultralight and a micro reel- baits up a # 10 snelled hook with a gob of skein the size of a baseball ..Then proceeds to fish without looking at her again for 2 hrs (same result casting across lines and smacking PEOPLE with hooks and bobbers) She did hook up once that I saw-- fish ran about 10 ft before It snapped her Line --go figure ,the dad just looked at her disgusted mumbled something mean to her and rerigged her rod..In disbelief and disgust I left that creek
Incident 3. Dad brings kid to fish and has no net or bait only has flies and HUGE JIGS kid uses jigs and actually had  a few good hook ups (snagged more) I netted one or two for him and gave him glo bugs and egg sacs to try (no snagging)  Then  he assumed I was his guide I guess --would come to me for flys and bait and yelled at me to net his fish for him ....dad just standing there sorta laughing..
Not that my nose was outa joint over all of this ..I try to help out kids and even uneducated adults when I can but its getting rediculous out there..
WHen I decide to teach my son to steelhead fish I belive I'll leave my rod in the truck..So I can teach him the right way and to be curteous and respectful to others and the land/fishery..When I come to the creeks in fall it is to relax and have fun .I enjoy the company of the other fishermen,and even helping out a kid hook up some fish or let them fight one I hooked up ..But I am not YOUR babysitter..Take some time out of YOUR  day to help YOUR kid and teach them the correct way to fish.. 
Sorry I had to vent but has anyone else ran across this behavior and If so how is the correct way to approach it or is it best to just leave?

Fishing is the only sport where sometimes there is a sucker at each end of the rod!

12 Replies Related Threads

Inukshuk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2184
    RE: Steelhead Daycare? 2007/11/24 12:08:32 (permalink)
    Ran into a similar situation on the SR.  I could not blame the kid because he did not know any better.  The father was totally oblivious.  Unfortunately, I believe that this is the main reason some kids grow up to be ignorant, rude and disrespectful fishermen and women.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Steelhead Daycare? 2007/11/24 12:11:09 (permalink)
    stcroix, you didn't offend me, you just made me laugh out loud  first i don't think the people who do such a thing with their kids on the stream don't have the money for a computor or the knowledge of this sight. so i doubt you can offend anyone reading your exper. i've seen this happen, i learned not to help out, though how many times i wanted to. ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Steelhead Daycare? 2007/11/24 13:47:29 (permalink)
    Lets see now the parents leave their kids at the day care or w/ the baby sitter all day to both go to work to afford a lifestyle that neither can afford to start w/. So now the weekend comes and the parents have the kids full-time, but can't be bothered w/ them. The parents would rather being alone then w/ their kids so thats where this can't be bothered w/ comes from. Todays attitude is the school is going to teach the values to their kids not the parents we have other things to do.

My dad would not have a rod in hand other than to bait the hook for us. He was there to teach us and to pass on the sport to us. My dad was a patient person and put his own time on hold for us, and it shows w/ the respect and time out of my life that I give my daughter and wife. You only learn what is taught to you as you mature. Most times the apple doesn't fall that far from a tree and sometimes that apple is rotten.

steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Steelhead Daycare? 2007/11/24 14:55:59 (permalink)
    Thought. Its a one word answer on what these parents dont have. What are they thinking. Pay attentiong to what your son/daughter is doing  he/she is your son/daughter.
    post edited by steelheadman28 - 2007/11/24 14:56:14
    walcat01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Steelhead Daycare? 2007/11/24 15:14:12 (permalink)
    StCroix Boy: Amen bro.......
    cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Steelhead Daycare? 2007/11/24 16:14:48 (permalink)
    unlike most others, i picked up steelheading on my own, i went fishing for perch a lot with my grandpa and i never heard him say anything about trout or steelhead but i started going when i was 12 by myself and eventually i started doing pretty good and then one day i told my grandpa about it he said why didnt you say anything and he told me about how he used to go alot...now we have regular outtings for steelhead..

but...i do know EXACTLY what youre talking about, I see #2 AND #3 mostly and #2 makes me more mad than anything because you really sometimes see that the older person will usually bait the kid up with the worst thing so they wont catch fish at all, IMO i would rather see the kid catching the fish instead of the older person..
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Steelhead Daycare? 2007/11/24 18:56:35 (permalink)
    Yes, I've seen alot of that.  It didn't happen that much many moons ago but I see it happen all to much now.  That one of the reasons I hate fishing Elk and Walnut access areas.  I've helped to try those kids in the past when I was heavy into boyscouts but I've found that some of the parents get downright p_ssed off to see you helping their child so I don't even bother.  The best thing is to avoid those situations by fishing where kids can't.
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Steelhead Daycare? 2007/11/24 20:42:27 (permalink)
    I brought my youngest daughter to Elk earlier this year.  The spot i wanted to fish was fairly crowded.  An older gentleman thought it was great to see such a young girl interested in fishing with her dad.  He invited me into his prime spot while he took a break from shore.  She gave her best shot at attempting to watch her dad, er I mean try to fish.  Of course she got a new Barbie for her days efforts.  Always a blast bringing the kids fishing.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Steelhead Daycare? 2007/11/24 21:41:04 (permalink)
    Weeks ago I was fishing a section of creek. While walking upstream I noticed a kid with a fish on. His dad was barly in sight. So I though maybe I'll help the kid land it. But then I noticed the fish was hooked with a large spoon in its back. I smiled at the kid and kept going. When I came upon his dad I told him that I didn't what to land the fish for his kid because I would have popped the hook in the water letting the fish swim away and I didn't want to be the one to make the kid cry. The dad smiled and said something in broken english that I didn't understand. When I got to the next hole there was an angler there and he asked if I saw the guy and kid that were snagging fish with large spoons. No need to tell the rest of the story.  
    youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: Steelhead Daycare? 2007/11/25 00:57:50 (permalink)
    woo kares/    

yur luky itt wazzant rUshin bare duud
    hee wood hav kiked yur****

*commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: Steelhead Daycare? 2007/11/25 01:03:07 (permalink)
    "rUshin bare"

MFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Steelhead Daycare? 2007/11/25 11:35:48 (permalink)
    You really should provide you son/daughter what they might need. Think to yourself what do you think I should let them use. What do I think will work and what should I let them try. I do "borrow" stuff from my brothers just because  I dont have that fly yet. Or I havent started making that type of fly. But They let me use it and I catch fish then once I have the things that I need I can get away or walk up or downstream without them. And if I do walk without them and I see a pod of fish hitting a certain bait. I can take it out and cast it and maybe have a chance of cathing these fish. Once I got done getting help off of them I ventured more to myself and try to catch fish myself. Once I did start doing this it made the sport my enjoyable than it already was. I still do every once and a while still ask for help but now I can do it for myself. You just have to rely on people the first couple season maybe 1-2 depending on how much you go up. Then do it for yourself. But you dont ask anyone you see for bait or a fly. Have you sister/brother/Mother/father pick you out some bait that usually takes the cake and just keep trying. I got better becuase we go up almost every weekend which gave me more experience every time on how to catch these fish and talk with other guys and see what usually is most likely to get yourself hits. But I never asked them to give me bait or a fly only my family would I ask.
    Jump to: