Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2011/07/29 16:23:20 (permalink)

Backing

HaH.. new topic to veer off on..
I think 100 yards of 30 lb backing is more then acceptable for salmon/steelhead/trout.
think about it, lets say you have a 90' fly line (30 yards) or even a longer 120 ' for some of those fancy lines.. Add to that 100 yards backing and throw your leader & tippet in there of 9' and by my umeducated calculations that comes out to 136 yards (I hope) of line..
When the heck have you had a salmon even close to that distance away from you ? I NEVER have.. I have had them TRY but at that point if I cant chase/follow them I just hold the line and break them off..

So db, you said 100 yard min..
what is your comfort zone on backing ?

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

38 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 16:44:42 (permalink)
    Am too freakin old to run down a slippery river trying to catch up to whats probably a foul hooked fishie- bustoff.
     That said a good hooked big ole male Ho can give ya a real run -like to carry as much as I can.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/07/29 16:49:51
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 17:34:27 (permalink)
    I've honestly had fish get close to 100 yards on me pretty quickly in the salmon... I've had a bone fish get close to 200 yards on me in a matter of 20 seconds.... everyones experience is different. My father had an atlantic in the restigouche nearly spool his reel with 200 yards of backing. They had to chase it in the canoe. Sorry straying off topic...
    for the salmon river I've had strong kings that i hooked around the stairs area of dsr, then run me almost to the island above, then turn around and land them just below the island above the flats. Ive also had steelhead do similar but all downstream rather than up. I cant tell you how many steelies i hooked a little below the town pool tail and end up landing them just above tall bridge. Others have gotten below tall bridge and its impossible to chase them below tall bridge. Head of the josh down halfway to spring hole has occurred. How about the head of the snagging pool to the island below on a dime bright steely?... sorry to rant but you asked
    for snapping them off; I prefer to chase em while I still can. I thoroughly enjoy it. Am I saying more than 100 is necessary? NO...do iprefer 100 +?????? YES...

Ps... is anyone elses mouth starting to water yet???? Ugggh, I wanna go fishing now.....
    post edited by dimebrite - 2011/07/29 17:35:05
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 18:04:16 (permalink)
    I was swinging a brown conehead wolly bugger in that fast water at the end of the trail from the parking lot on the UFZ and was doing great.Then I got a grab and head shake and a BIG flash of green as the King headed down stream to the lake.I was into my backing in a few seconds,I started running as fast as I could over the rocks trying to get the line on the reel so I could break it off,could n't run fast enough.When I got down to where that fast water empties into the long run I saw ,to my dismay,that my backing was rubbing on a large boulder on the OTHER side of river,no one fishing on that side to help.I was trying to get the line free when,you guessed it,it snapped.I just lost a $65 dollar fly line that I purchased the week before!I did n't have a replacement so I had to walk out,get the gear stowed in car,and shop for another.The moral of the story is......sometimes it does n't matter how much backing you have :)
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 18:11:40 (permalink)
    Found a nice yellow fly line all strung out in the water up in the Bovines this year Hmmmmm.  Kept it too.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 18:59:26 (permalink)
    90% of the time when a fish is fair caught you can have control of that fish and direct them where you want them. not saying they wont run but if you hold your rod to the side and put the wood to them you WILL most times turn them and gain control. Far to many people use the keep the rod high method and just hold on.
    As strong as these fish are , if caught you should be able to turn them.
    And again in all the Salmon I have caught I have ,NEVER ,EVER had them get more then 70 yards (or so) away from me, yea I may have to chase/follow them if I want to land that fish..
    For that other 9%, well sometimes you just gotta give up and let the fish win..
    1% ? a foul hooked fish is easy to tell and should be broken off.

I also see way to many people with a fish 100 yards (or more) down stream thinking they can drag them back.. If thats the case one should have been able to control that fish well before that happens instead of standing there with a smile on their face while everyone else has their finger up their azz waiting to fish.

Now mind you this don't include those folks trying to set the next world record using 6# test for salmon

So I am Very comfortable with 100 yards of backing and giving that rod/reel to clients..
    just think (look) how far 130 yards REALLY is..

waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 19:11:43 (permalink)
    Had it happen in the old days of 150cfs in the morning and 1800 in the afternoon,but that was 30 years aqo.
    My personal favoritevreel is a Hardy St Adian. It holds a lot of line and to make it pick line up at some sort of rate I had to fill it with 200-250 yards of backing. At the rate that line is coming off at and the fact that the reel was designed long before palming became the standard method of adding breaks,you would put a finger inside pushing directly on the line until you smelled smoke coming from your finger at which point instinct makes you pull you finger away and touch the line as it comes out of the reel instead.
    (First of all thank you for reading the single most drug fueled run on sentence in the history of the Googlewebs) Now its off to trying to break my record.
    The ensuing line cuts that prove you still have bones in your fingers taught me that a bare minimum off backing attached to back to back running lines connecting to the DT flyline was the way for me to go. Also I learned to point the rod and snap anything I haven't off that wasn't a verified 20+ steelhead.

it's not lying if you believe it.
    George Costanza
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 19:20:40 (permalink)
    wow that was a wild read waDer .. I thought I was the king of run on sentences

I guess point being It's really not necessary for all that backin, but unless in waders case not hurting

Now sir I think I will join you in that fueled craze as my shoulder is f'n killin me..
    lets steer this sucker into the ditch

metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 19:24:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hot tuna

90% of the time when a fish is fair caught you can have control of that fish and direct them where you want them. not saying they wont run but if you hold your rod to the side and put the wood to them you WILL most times turn them and gain control. Far to many people use the keep the rod high method and just hold on.

we have a winner

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 19:40:22 (permalink)

As strong as these fish are , if caught you should be able to turn them.
    And again in all the Salmon I have caught I have ,NEVER ,EVER had them get more then 70 yards (or so) away from me, yea I may have to chase/follow them if I want to land that fish..
    For that other 9%, well sometimes you just gotta give up and let the fish win..
    1% ? a foul hooked fish is easy to tell and should be broken off.

I also see way to many people with a fish 100 yards (or more) down stream thinking they can drag them back.. If thats the case one should have been able to control that fish well before that happens instead of standing there with a smile on their face while everyone else has their finger up their azz waiting to fish.

Now mind you this don't include those folks trying to set the next world record using 6# test for salmon

So I am Very comfortable with 100 yards of backing and giving that rod/reel to clients..
    just think (look) how far 130 yards REALLY is..

you are comkpletely right with everything you say in most case scenarios, and your info is a great resource for all anglers to use as a refference... but,as you said, 90% of the time. i'm going to take the time to highlight the other 10% of the time which is what keeps me coming back for more... some spots have many rocks and brakes in current with all different channels for the fish to switch and run between; these areas prevent an angler from putting any type of side pressure on the fish period... as for turning them on the inital run... not so easy all the time... for instance, a 25 plus king bright silver hooked in and around white riffles, good luck stopping him; 15-20 lb. coho, forget about it... and side pressure is out of the question when they are running through white water with the rocks and all... foul hooked fish; are obvious usually within 60 seconds of hook up, and thats when i snap them off quickly unless its one of those fluke hook ups when the fish is retrievable within a minute to remove the hook... very rare occurence though... for the fools who let the fish keep swimming and fouling everyones line up; you are completely right... in instances where i have fish out more than 30 yards or anywheres near another angler; need not worry because you will hear ME before the fish gets in your way and i will be passing you shortly (possibly high stepping over the rocks for the guys holding the rod tip up high, they're doing the right thing if it's pocket water or fast runs the fish is running through IMO... one more commetnt for steelhead remeber though, i am a stomper when it comes to chasing a fish... let me throw some steelhead action in the mix as well; 6 pound tippet against a 10 plus steelhead hooked in the corner bend down below town pool; there is a slim chance you are turning that fish before he hits the rapids to take you down to the tall bridge pool, especially in higher water levels (1000 or so)...

again though, it's only backing and 100 yards vs. 150 or 200 yards is really not so important in my eyes...unless i hook that 30 lb. bright silver steelhead in wide open water when no other anglers are around; 150 yards could possibly help me in that instance till then, i'll keep dreaming about tight lines ...

btw, how's the clavicle treating you??? surgery??? i wish they had operated on mine. most people i knew to brake their clavicle had it reset and pins put in to it; im talking even guys who just had a clean brake that wasn't dislocated. mine was crushed in 3 different spots and heeled that way... good luck either way and try not to get hooked on those p-killaz...
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 19:45:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: metalslayer

we have a winner

Thanks slayer, fished that river a few times before

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 19:56:14 (permalink)
    don’t know how to do multiple quotes so another reply:

db, I'm not a pill guy, don’t even like aspirin or what ever its called and rarely take it. So if I'm taking something it hurts like a mo fo.. Wont know the end result of what’s going to happen with shoulder till Monday.. Its shattered not just broke.. Don’t like knifes cutting me either so took option B first. Monday might be Option A.

In your stories about rapids and not being able to follow/chase.. If it didn’t go up stream first, then 9%.. Fish won that battle from me.. I'm not going to try and drag em' back up through that or fall on my azz chasing after.. There will always be another time (I hope).. But that’s just how I fish..

Yes man I’m READY (almost) to fish !!! Heck, I can cast now with my right arm !!

P.S.
    sorry for all the edits but I'm gonna have to totally disagree with you on the rapids and controlling the fish, when first hooked or running through them..
    It's OK though dont sweat it, I just disagree..
    post edited by hot tuna - 2011/07/29 20:05:39

waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 20:33:42 (permalink)
    First let me mention that back in the low-high water days there was about a 45 minute period that the fish seemed to feel the change in water pressure before it would float the styro cup or whatever you put just above the waterline to let you know when it was time to get your****back to the right side (the one you needed to be on to get back to your truck).
    There was always a vicious bite cycle during that time. The nember of kings I have hooked just as the water arrived in full is beyond count.

Now picture a 35# king striking at the top of the old bus hole(they don't come any fresher,brighter or stronger than when they are that close to the lake), shaking his head at the surface and turning downriver just as the water went from 150 to 1800cfs.
    With their brute strengh and that influx of water surge they are in the old lower clay before you can turn and step on dry ground to even think about following or not.
    By the way in my experience a very small percentage of kings that are fairly hooked either jump or fight upstream. They come to the surface and thrash but rarely actually jump and 90% of the kings I hook are downstream from my postition and almost always turn downriver against the direction of the pull of my rod.

it's not lying if you believe it.
    George Costanza
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 22:17:07 (permalink)
    Recall those days too- would be out someplace ankle deep standing on a a rock and if ya werent paying attention all the sudden ya realized you were still up on that rock and the water was up ta yer knees----OOOOPS

Dont carry a wading stick now but got so I ALWAYS had one back then.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/07/29 22:18:42
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 22:19:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: waDerboy

First let me mention that back in the low-high water days there was about a 45 minute period that the fish seemed to feel the change in water pressure before it would float the styro cup or whatever you put just above the waterline to let you know when it was time to get your****back to the right side (the one you needed to be on to get back to your truck).
    There was always a vicious bite cycle during that time. The nember of kings I have hooked just as the water arrived in full is beyond count.

Now picture a 35# king striking at the top of the old bus hole(they don't come any fresher,brighter or stronger than when they are that close to the lake), shaking his head at the surface and turning downriver just as the water went from 150 to 1800cfs.
    With their brute strengh and that influx of water surge they are in the old lower clay before you can turn and step on dry ground to even think about following or not.
    By the way in my experience a very small percentage of kings that are fairly hooked either jump or fight upstream. They come to the surface and thrash but rarely actually jump and 90% of the kings I hook are downstream from my postition and almost always turn downriver against the direction of the pull of my rod.

great points wader; and yes, it is a very small percentage of fair hooked fish that head upstream, but there are the days where they are running hard and determined to keep on running; again though, those days fall in to that 10% catergory as mentioned...

tuna its alright man, the key to life is learning how to disagree but still get along; cant tell you how many salmon/ steel i hooked that i had no chance of stoppping when hooked; period, thats it though man... life goes on...everyones experience is different i tell ya

ps... if 1 person thinks they have fishing completely figured out; they are completely wrong in my book... in my experience, there really isn't a true text book way...
    post edited by dimebrite - 2011/07/29 22:22:45
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 22:32:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: waDerboy

Ding Ding Ding--ANOTHER WINNER-----almost ALL fish hooked INSIDE the gumline will behave this way---BTW I'm not a bassmaster hooksetter as the occasional foul will occur---loose alot of fish on the rise and headshake---but I'm cool w/ that

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 22:36:08 (permalink)
    - That water used ta DROP just as fast as it rose some days. Recall some real bloodbaths when it would drop a few hundred in a coupla hours. In a decent run the place looked like the Hatchery stream in some places.
        Lifters and Snagers  wold drop to their knees and praise the Heavens- know I did.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 22:39:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

again though, those days fall in to that 10% catergory as mentioned...

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 22:43:35 (permalink)
    If someone is going to honestly say that 10% of the FAIR HOOKED fish they've fought on the river dont run upstream first; then they mustn't of hooked too many fish in their time
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 22:50:53 (permalink)

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 23:04:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: metalslayer

i'm sorry you feel that way should you have maybe used this one instead lmao

metal come on man; you're full of smart azz and stone busting remarks; you shouldnt get so frustrated...just playing back at ya... i bet we'd fish well together man... give me a hollar if youre ever down as i think you and i stand alone with the dsr season passes....
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Backing 2011/07/29 23:50:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Found a nice yellow fly line all strung out in the water up in the Bovines this year Hmmmmm.  Kept it too.

Doubt it was mine as this happened three years ago,mine was yellow though.
    When that happened I tried side pressure but as dime pointed out that was difficult with rocky rapids.That fish hit that fly,shook its head,turned and tore downstream.It was in my backing in a blink of the eye.I hooked several before that one and though I did n't land many I was able to control them enough to keep out of the backing,not that one.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/30 01:16:59 (permalink)
    Guess since most are hooked when the line is below ya thats why they feel the pull and go down . Sometimes though if ya are in just the right place it seems that all most of the fish will run up. Most fish I ever caught in a strong current tried to go down but fishing  the tail of a pool a ways above the run out will sometimes have fish running up.
      Perhaps trying to get into the deep water in front of them.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/30 08:16:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Guess since most are hooked when the line is below ya thats why they feel the pull and go down . Sometimes though if ya are in just the right place it seems that all most of the fish will run up. Most fish I ever caught in a strong current tried to go down but fishing  the tail of a pool a ways above the run out will sometimes have fish running up.
    Perhaps trying to get into the deep water in front of them.

Correct rt; I find they will go up in situations like this. Even in tail outs of a run or pocet.Also, if given the chance to get some side pressure on them when initially hooked with your rod bend towards the down stream bank, this will make them run up rather than down in many instances but i'll stand by the notion that they will do what they want to when they want to if they want to.

Ps... if they are running up through some turbulent water, I suggest keeping your rod tip up and letting him do what he wants. You've got the current on your side at this point. But any chance you get to arc your rod sideways to your downstream bank will steer him right to your feet as he tires.... always use your best judgement though
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/30 09:34:20 (permalink)
    I'd estamate that less than 1% of fairly (hook point inside the mouth)hooked kings jump and that less than 5% of fairly hooked kings run upstream for more than 20 yards upon being first hooked before turning and running downriver. 95% just shake there head while coming to the surface (moving at most 5yards upriver in an attempt to escape the pull of the line moving below them under the waters pressure?)before turning downriver and heading for the safety of the lake.

95% of kings I have either hooked or seen hooked upstrem from the anglers position were hooked in the outside of the mouth (lined), cheek (lined), pectoral fin (probably accidently foul hooked)or somewhere father back (probably intentionaly lifted).

In all of these intances fish may well fight upriver.In the first couple scenerios people may truly believe the fish is fairly hooked.

But then I didn't start fishing the river till 68-69 for the original coho runs and then again starting in 80 when the first real runs of steel started in ernest again and haven't landed more than 3-4 thousand kings I have little to base my opinion(and that is all it is "MY" opinion) on.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/30 09:55:59 (permalink)
    guys, come on now, we're beating a dead horse now; keep in mind i'm just stating my opinion from my 22 years of experience

lastly, i will add this : wader you mentioned they may run 5 yards upstream intially; with that being said, if you arc your rod to the downstream bank upon hook up; won't this force the fish to run away from the pressure; not always, but yes, somtimes... and since everyone is so keen on mentioning FOUL HOOKED FISH; i'm gonna throw you for a loop on that one now... ive seen plenty of foul hooked fish run straight down stream upon being hooked and not stop for anything...are we going to argue about foul hooked fish swimming down stream now???? come on guys, yes, there are the text book conditions and behaviors, but in reality, nothing in life goes by the books all the time...especially in fishing

carry on
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Backing 2011/07/30 10:35:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dimebrite

you are comkpletely right with everything you say in most case scenarios, and your info is a great resource for all anglers to use as a refference... but,as you said, 90% of the time. i'm going to take the time to highlight the other 10% of the time which is what keeps me coming back for more... some spots have many rocks and brakes in current with all different channels for the fish to switch and run between; these areas prevent an angler from putting any type of side pressure on the fish period... as for turning them on the inital run... not so easy all the time... for instance, a 25 plus king bright silver hooked in and around white riffles, good luck stopping him; 15-20 lb. coho, forget about it... and side pressure is out of the question when they are running through white water with the rocks and all... foul hooked fish; are obvious usually within 60 seconds of hook up, and thats when i snap them off quickly unless its one of those fluke hook ups when the fish is retrievable within a minute to remove the hook... very rare occurence though... for the fools who let the fish keep swimming and fouling everyones line up; you are completely right... in instances where i have fish out more than 30 yards or anywheres near another angler; need not worry because you will hear ME before the fish gets in your way and i will be passing you shortly (possibly high stepping over the rocks for the guys holding the rod tip up high, they're doing the right thing if it's pocket water or fast runs the fish is running through IMO... one more commetnt for steelhead remeber though, i am a stomper when it comes to chasing a fish... let me throw some steelhead action in the mix as well; 6 pound tippet against a 10 plus steelhead hooked in the corner bend down below town pool; there is a slim chance you are turning that fish before he hits the rapids to take you down to the tall bridge pool, especially in higher water levels (1000 or so)...

(First of all thank you for reading the single most drug fueled run on sentence in the history of the Googlewebs)

Wader - your sentence was not even in the same league as the run-on pile of dribble DB poured out.

please excuse me while I whack my head against the wall - attempt to uncross my eyes.

Pafisher - I've lost a fly line in the UFZ too - I blame my crappy knot joining the flyline to backing.

DB:
    Metalslayer, as always, is dead-on accurate with his assessments...

peace

post edited by draketrutta - 2011/07/30 10:37:42
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/30 10:43:29 (permalink)
    drake atleast i put punctuation marks in beteween statements...lol

i am a little upset though, you once told me my posts were well polished, and another time you told me i weave a pretty good tale; what gives man??? i'm so upset now
    post edited by dimebrite - 2011/07/30 10:45:44
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/30 10:49:14 (permalink)
    One more thing before I go..
    waDerboy, got this KICK AZZ soundboard last night

Allman Brothers Band, Beacon Theater, New York, NY 2011-07-27
    Tune Into Hep C, Benefit Concert
    great show Enjoy
    Disc 1 : 1st Set :
    01-Don't Want You No More
    02-Not My Cross To Bear
    03-I Walk On Guilded Splinter
    04-One Way Out
    05-Into The Mystic
    06-Statesboro Blues
    07-Blind Willie McTell
    08-Black Hearted Woman
    09-A Change Is Gonna Come W/ Natalie Cole, Vocals-Danny Louis, Keyboards-Ron Halloway, Sax
    10-The Weight W/ Natalie Cole, Vocals-Danny Louis, Keyboards-Ron Halloway, Sax

Disc 2 : 1st Set Con't :
    01-Elizabeth Reed W/ Bill Evens, Sax
    2nd Set :
    02-Teach Your Children W/ David Crosby, Graham Nash & Derek On Slide Only
    03-Guinnevere W/ Crosby & Nash Only
    04-Find The Cost Of Freedom W/ Crosby, Nash & Warren
    05-Cowboy Movie W/ Crosby, Nash, Phil Lesh-Bass, & Danny Louis-Keyboards
    06-Almost Cut My Hair W/ Crosby, Nash, Phil Lesh-Bass, & Danny Louis-Keyboards

Disc 3 : 2nd Set Con't :
    01-Shakedown Street W/ Phil Lesh & Danny Louis
    02-Sugaree W/ Phil Lesh & Danny Louis
    03-Franklins Tower W/ Phil Lesh, Danny Louis & Oteil On Vocals Only
    04-Whippin' Post W/ Natalie Cole, Vocals
    Encores :
    05-Midnight Rider w/Crosby, Nash, Natalie Cole, Danny Louis & Devon Allman
    06-May The Circle Be Unbroken w/Crosby, Nash, Natalie Cole, Danny Louis, Devon Allman & Billy Gibbons

Notes : James van de Bogert Filled In On Drums For Jamioe On Half The Songs

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Backing 2011/07/30 10:59:41 (permalink)
    hope you got a look at the pic's.. took em' down because they are copyrite protected.. But the music is as should be free to spread the LOVE :)
    post edited by hot tuna - 2011/07/30 11:20:02

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: