fishing line

Author
10pts
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 82
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/22 08:22:49 (permalink)

fishing line

I've tried them all....except Mccoy.... I have heard stories  but have never  tried.. the problem we have is we are Noodler's  skein,egg sac, powerbait,shinners... jaw hooks no problem... but when they guy swallow it... then that's were the abrasion factor comes in..  when they start to roll and thrash and rack the 4 or 6 lb lines across there teeth.. and  POP..  nit that it really matters  since I dont keep them anyway  but for bragging rights with your fish Pal's be nice to land a few more..  I lose twice as many as I land this year.. Fluro leader did hold up the best..  but I hate tying  blood knots during the actions..    Q?  what is a good strong  invisable fishing line for Steelhead  fishing?  

10 Replies Related Threads

beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: fishing line 2007/11/22 09:02:13 (permalink)
    Stick with fluorocarbon.  Use a barrel swivel if you hate tying fancy knots.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    stlrhead
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: fishing line 2007/11/22 09:17:57 (permalink)
    Try the McCoy ,all I use for tippet ,no probs for me even in low clear.

Mark
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: fishing line 2007/11/22 09:21:04 (permalink)
    I use McCoy Mean Green and it works well.  I was put onto it by a guide who pretty much exclusively uses it.  It is not very expensive so I would say give it a chance.  If you have two spools for your reel, spool one with McCoy and the other with something else and see what works for you.  Another thing you can do is buy a small spool of McCoy and spool on 50 to 100 yards and fish with it for awhile. 

pax vobiscum +
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: fishing line 2007/11/22 10:59:09 (permalink)
    I use Mean Green McCoy same as bughawk. Sure I have seen them break off because we have 2 people fishing the same type of line. But not usually does it break unless hoarsing it but dont do that and you usually shouldn't have it break. I trust this line
    post edited by steelheadman28 - 2007/11/24 15:26:27
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: fishing line 2007/11/22 11:10:07 (permalink)
    I use 8lb McCoy for slinging spoons in the lake and bay, 6lb for stream steelhead. I also use the 6lb for bass and from shore walleye, and 4lb for panfish. Never had a problem.
    steelhead4ever
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: fishing line 2007/11/22 11:34:32 (permalink)
    The best advice I have for you, no matter what line you use, under 8lb, you should be constantly checking for abraisions (sp?) or knicks, knots, etc. If it's even questionable, strip line until your confinident you have good line to fish with. You'll be amazing at how your knots hold up, and the acutal pressure the line can take.
    cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: fishing line 2007/11/22 11:53:30 (permalink)
    i use monofilament, i never cared for flouro...i dont have any trouble with regular 6lb mono...
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: fishing line 2007/11/22 13:03:55 (permalink)
    Their are some that will complain about McCoy line but personaly I have yet to have any problems with it's preformance at all. With any line you need to make sure its fresh and does not have dry rot. With McCoy mean green this means the line should be a nice shiney see through green and not have any milky look to it.When McCoy line was first introduced into the Erie area the line manufactuer had moved its plant from Washinton state to Arizona and had over produced some of its lower lb tests and some sat around to long and was dry rotten, I personaly belive this happen to more then one angler (Rotten line) and could be the reason why some do not trust the line. I have been using McCoy line for at least 6 years now and personaly have way less breaks with it then any other type mono type line in the market I have used.Some will have problems with the line as it is alot more limp then your average mono by far as its not a true mono its a copilymer line. If you close you bail with the reel handle and not your hand you will end up eventualy getting a few rats nests as like I already stated its by far a limper line. This McoCoy has landed fish as big as 25 lb on 4lb test so I know its strong and if it can handle a King Salmons teeth I would have to say its has more then enough abrastion ressitance.As some aready know I am a licenced guide on the Erie tribs and every outfit I have for my clients is rigged with McCoy line encluding all the flyrods using it as tippet and not once this fall did a client of mine have a break off with McCoy and only about twice last year from horcing the fish in 2 fast. One has to realize no line will haddle Landing fish after fish after fish and not get nicked up a bit.Word of advice always check your line from time to time and make sure you retie when its needs it. The 3 mains reasons of all line failure is #1 horsing a fish in #2 Not inspecting you line for any frays #3 the fish taking the line agaist something sharp on bottom of stream/lake. I will recomenmd McCoy line to anyone and will stand behind the lines quality as long as it keeps doing as well as it has in the past. For the price and its quality McCoy line is sure hard to beat.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    saxon1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: fishing line 2007/11/23 14:11:52 (permalink)
    GREAT stuff ! They also have a newer version of line that is clear. Give it a shot, you'll be glad you did.
    27ModelT
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: fishing line 2007/11/23 14:26:28 (permalink)
    eggsac? is that you on the cover of mccoy?
    Jump to: