Rods and reels

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 8 of 9
Author
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/08 12:53:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Tuna- the reel is very nice- only issue was a bit of dirt in it that quickly washed out. Had set it down on the ground and something got in the reel. Guess that open stuff must be prone to that. Do have to watch the line retrieve with it though with that wide face it is also prone to getting too much line filling  one side when not watching.
Overall great rig - would suggest it. Was throwing bout 11' of #5 Drennan with a smaller wooly bugger most of the time.

Hey rt; it would pay to taper your leader a bit. Maybe 20-12-5..... it will aid the rolling over your fly which will aid your overall cast.
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/08 13:12:25 (permalink)
Gotta try that - have NEVER done it before and gotta learn the knots. Definately had problems with the leader not rolling many times- Think thats why I was snapping the cast a bit trying to make it happen.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/08 13:29:09 (permalink)
Simple blood knot rt. Then for your tippet I reccomend a SMALL barrel swivel when fishing for trout. You can use a bigger one for kings... with the gradual taper you'll notice the difference. Now if you're swinging bigger flies in green water; you'll have no problem doing a straight 12 # tippet in length of 8 foot or (but it still wouldn't hurt to do a small length of 15 # for the butt) Its the lighter tippets that require a gradual taper for turning the fly over and prevention of fouling your line up.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/08 14:49:33 (permalink)
Yeah- I never fish with just a straight shot of line. Blood knot, just 3 turns on the heavier line is enough till you get down to around .013 then 5 turns.

Lyrical
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/08 15:14:22 (permalink)
You have (should) to have a taper leader/tippet to turn over your fly. Im not a fan of using a swivel at all unless your adding a tag with split shot but that is a beast in its own right.... I just add any shot right to my tippet.
To make things really simple just buy a pre-tied tapered leader.. Once it starts getting chewed down then just add more tippet to it.. Pretty simple..

Here is a great page to learn knots from a pro..
an Alternative to a blood and my be easier for you is a surgeons knot..

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

post edited by hot tuna - 2011/08/08 15:16:06

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/09 10:29:27 (permalink)
If you don't want to buy tapered leaders...

try this..

TWIST ONE UP

works great...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/09 11:06:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

TWIST ONE UP

Sounds like a good plan
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/09 11:25:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

Sounds like a good plan

I'm saving that one for the upcoming

"How to Think Like a Fish"

thread...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/09 11:35:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

Sounds like a good plan

I'm saving that one for the upcoming

"How to Think Like a Fish"

thread...

Maybe we're better off discussing this matter in person
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/09 12:11:44 (permalink)

those homemade leaders really do work RT.

I was bored one day and tried it. I used 10lb test mono.
You have to give the line a good stretch, and don't pull across carpeting when twisting or the two strands can get fugged up...

I usually hang them off the porch with each strand separated by a couple of railings..

Onstream - they turn over wonderfully..

I'm a fan of loop-to-loops,(perfection loop - simple) quicker than quicker and no bloody blood knots...
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/09 12:13:32 (permalink)

Maybe we're better off discussing this matter in person

If so, I would bring the variety that makes people speechless.
waDerboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1910
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/09 13:48:30 (permalink)
I go with sergeons loops down to the section above the finale tippet
Since the last two get replaced often the are tied loop to loop.
wednick
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/09 15:35:28 (permalink)
hey seems though you guys got off the topic... ill pull you back in with a hook in the jersey mouth.

anybody have a albright reel or heard/used one, theyre on sale like a cheap worn out ****. if theyre decent im gonna pick one up with a spare spool tomorrow.

Thanks guys.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/09 15:40:31 (permalink)
they make good line holders, I know one guy that had bad things to say about the drag..

2nd hand info,,
post edited by draketrutta - 2011/08/09 15:42:05
wednick
Novice Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/09 15:44:18 (permalink)
ive read reviews online that say theyre pretty good. but also you never know whos writing the review. money talks you know.

"I wonder what fish smelled like before women started swimming?"
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/09 16:23:50 (permalink)
for stream trout just to hold line maybe.. but for big fish I would not recommend it at all.
this is GPR 7/8 an listed somewhere around $300.00 but as you said bought cheap as dirt.. That’s exactly how they are made.. Seems like pot metal or cheap cast metal.. Everything about them is made cheap.. Don’t make the same mistake.. You'll just be wasting money.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/09 16:36:00 (permalink)
They should be thrown in jail for advertising the reel with an msrp of $329.00 and selling it for $59.00.. It aint worth fifty cent !!!!

dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/09 17:15:05 (permalink)
Never fishe them but by tunas pics it definitely looks like garbage to me
wednick
Novice Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/10 21:07:04 (permalink)
thanks for the info guys. im gonna keep my money and put it towards fly tying materials and a 12 pack required to tie flies for me. i guess ill have to go with the okuma helios, ive used my buddies when i snapped my last rod and didnt have my backup with me. i know it works and i love the drag system.

now off to my 12 pack of coors original and creating flies. yes i said create, im all about something catching the eye of a king and ****ing it off.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/10 21:16:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wednick

thanks for the info guys. im gonna keep my money and put it towards fly tying materials and a 12 pack required to tie flies for me. i guess ill have to go with the okuma helios, ive used my buddies when i snapped my last rod and didnt have my backup with me. i know it works and i love the drag system.

now off to my 12 pack of coors original and creating flies. yes i said create, im all about something catching the eye of a king and ****ing it off.

wise choice.. except you could even get a better deal on tall boy busch and buy some hooks with that material.. lol

wednick
Novice Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/10 21:26:25 (permalink)
Ive got the hooks for sure and material, friends of mine who come up from joyzee and conn. brought me tons of material for giving them basically free guide service their first 2 years fishing up here until they got the hang of fishing around here.

Now you did catch Coors ORIGINAL, you know in the khaki can, coors light- its like sex in a canoe, F@&(ing next to water lol. im not opposed to busch tall boys, i wont buy it, but i wont go against the man law and refuse it if someone offered it. Hell i grew up drinking PBR and Beast in high school.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/10 21:35:24 (permalink)

Ive got the hooks for sure and material, friends of mine who come up from joyzee and conn. brought me tons of material for giving them basically free guide service their first 2 years fishing up here until they got the hang of fishing around here.

Now you did catch Coors ORIGINAL, you know in the khaki can, coors light- its like sex in a canoe, F@&(ing next to water lol. im not opposed to busch tall boys, i wont buy it, but i wont go against the man law and refuse it if someone offered it. Hell i grew up drinking PBR and Beast in high school.

Hey now Busch has those camo cans in the fall..

I grew up on Schaefer's , Utica Club and Black Label.. If you can drink that **** you can drink anything... LOL..

Speaking of materials..
I have a TON of New in the package synthetics that I never use.. flashabou and stuff like that in all kinds of colors.. I'll bring them and if anyone want they are welcome to it..

retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/10 21:37:57 (permalink)
That Orvis Battenkill is all over E-bay for the same money brand new.different weights too.
wednick
Novice Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/10 21:49:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hot tuna

Hey now Busch has those camo cans in the fall..

I grew up on Schaefer's , Utica Club and Black Label.. If you can drink that **** you can drink anything... LOL..

Speaking of materials..
I have a TON of New in the package synthetics that I never use.. flashabou and stuff like that in all kinds of colors.. I'll bring them and if anyone want they are welcome to it..

hey now, they got utica club at tops and black label up in croghan. i shoot trap in the northern league and we have to get 3 30 racks of black label for some teams when they travel to our club.

next time youre up head to croghan and get some bologna and black label, just dont plan on going in the water first thing the next morning unless you make a good run to the outhouse.

wednick
Novice Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/10 21:57:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

That Orvis Battenkill is all over E-bay for the same money brand new.different weights too.

quit making this hard for me!!!lol

so i take it i should consider this reel too.

tell me what you guys think. thanks

dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/10 22:03:19 (permalink)
Busch tall boys atlittle lukeys are pretty darn cheap. Even the rite aidzells em cheap... I think under 4 bucks...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/10 22:06:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hot tuna
Speaking of materials..

Psssstttt; it is that time of year that time of year... shhhh....
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/10 22:08:06 (permalink)
Sorry bout that -the Battenkills are on auction and MAY go for that money but the Clearwater is already to go for that amount.
 Dont know that much bout them for drag and such but  --hey---orvis--- cant be too bad. Just gotta watch the numbers from what I see cause they are like most all reels and come in sizes for line wts.
  Would imagine the post will score some advice pretty soon. No rush this stuff is on E all the time.
  Pretty sure Im gonna get one for my 5wt.
wednick
Novice Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/10 22:15:20 (permalink)
i guess ill have to go to whitakers and get my hands on one. ive narrowed it down to the helios or battenkills. looking around ive seen alot of good reviews on both. ive had good luck with okuma spin reels, but youre right you cant go wrong with orvis either, im just worried about looking like a yuppy in my simms boots and waders with my orvis reel hahaha. im just kidding.

what can i say? i wont buy cheap beer anymore, wont have cheap women, cheap vehicles, or cheap cigars hahahaha. might as well spend good money on something made with good quality. thanks guys. now off to kill my 12 pack of Coors ORIGINAL.

salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: Rods and reels 2011/08/10 23:06:43 (permalink)
nail kmots. do it right you ny amatures. download the 50 leaders formula off da web get some spools and make yer own. way cheaper and more satisfying in tge end.

Lyrical
Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 8 of 9
Jump to: