Rods and reels

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 9
Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/26 13:21:31 (permalink)
Yeah, my 8wt 9' has a fighting butt. I can do single spey casts with it. Steelhead taper line. Like fitchy said- longer casts than you need (70 feeT plus).
If I were you I'd try a fast action 8 wt with a fighting butt. Perfect tool for up there.
The other question noone has brought up (and this isn't a negative question)- How are your casting skills?

Lyrical
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/26 14:23:55 (permalink)
Moderate- moderator
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/26 18:11:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fichy

I love my 11' 7 wt. It 's a single hander with a fighting butt, but has no long foregrip or butt extension.  It will single hand spey 70-80 feet without even thinking about it with a steelhead taper. . But most of the time , I use it  to nymph with and throw mends and control the line.  It protects 6 lb. tippet, but will put the wood to fish when in crowds and I'm using 3x . I've fished 2 handers and liked them for big rivers, but like smaller , lighter rods better. I'd like to find one similar in an 8 or 9 for sharks, but I think I'll have to stick with a 9'. Do people chuck and duck for salmon, or is it a waste of time, since they are higher in the water column most of the time?  I won't use it, unless it's near or below zero and I'm having a really bad day.    It is ridiculously effective. So is Euopean nymphing which is very similar.

Charlie

hey charlie, the meds wore off so i can give it a shot at a reply now..
chez nymphing is very effective but as you know we are limited to using only 1 fly on the sr..
you are also correct that chuck & duck is highly effective in the times you describe. a trout is not going to move very far when water temps are in the mid>low 30's. Got nothing against it at all except in the fly zones. Usually at those times I just switch to a spin rod and basically bottom bounce anyway,even with a fly..
but thats not what you asked..

C&D is a total waste of time for salmon.. you may have seen pic's of the flies I use for them, BIG & UGLY .. purpose here is a reaction strike from aggressive fish or trying to make them so... out in the lake they are killing machines and that instinct is never totally removed even after they stop feeding and move into the river..

just sitting around laid up is already driving me crazy.. sept cant come soon enough now..

dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/26 19:00:31 (permalink)
Im about to hit my local large mouth lake with my son. I'llchime in in a couple hours
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/26 19:03:32 (permalink)
Dont push it Tuna- -the older ya get the longer it takes-gotta be patient.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/26 19:36:54 (permalink)
don’t know how long I can be patient.. already trying to figure a way to gut and sheetrock with 1 arm... got an addition that needs to be an apartment by the end of aug and have a business trip in Vegas in 2 weeks.. I’m screwed..

db, have a blast and catch some lunkers !
waDerboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1910
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/26 19:56:39 (permalink)
Dude the boredom is a killer.
Never been much of a watcher and now suddenly there is no other option.

Don't put your healing back by overdoing it too soon.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/26 20:02:12 (permalink)
Started to sheet rock my upstairs walls and ceiling with bout 20 metal staples in my side and stomach bout 30 years ago---WRONGGGGGG
  DONT PUSH IT or you will be looking forward to fishing in 2014.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/26 20:21:53 (permalink)
Tuna, you should take it easy man. Its not worth a permanent conditon as a result.

For c and d; i effectively catch salmon with it in fast runs as they sometimes hug the bottom in this water. But I still keep a fly fishing touch to the cast and the presentation....
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/26 20:44:01 (permalink)
Just to stir the pot a bit- have any of you Pulaski area residents heard bout 'earlies' yet. August is right round the corner.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/26 21:00:37 (permalink)
Tuna, when you say big flies, how big in inches? (I know- that's what she said)

Called my surgeon today. Must be on vacation. Can't get in for a follow up till Aug. 10th. I hope to schedule the deal just after our outing if I can hold out. Hurting pretty bad here too.

Got it retired. Do what you gotta do. Get somewhere you can try some stuff out.
post edited by salmotrutta - 2011/07/26 21:06:24

Lyrical
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/26 21:41:38 (permalink)
Thanks, HT. I'm thinking along the right lines, anyway. I've got some nasty looking buggers  and bunny flies for bass, sound like shark bait.  Take it easy!  It's almost time, don't push it.

Charlie
post edited by fichy - 2011/07/26 21:43:17
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/26 22:03:17 (permalink)
on average just under 3".. the bunnies are about 3 1/4"
if i use marabou on the tails of comets I tend to keep them on the long side of 3, if just krystal flash then just under 3..
and the bead chain eyes are usually my only weight.. these are not c&d flies by any means and basically all I use for salmon.. think I have caught 1 or 2 in my days

post edited by hot tuna - 2011/07/28 08:01:13
metalslayer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/26 23:38:54 (permalink)
Tuna(and all), I once was crossing to the island at the Joss----I spotted a salmon holding in a shallow pocket--had a mono set up w/ a single Jensen egg---circled below the fish and took off ALL weight(casting was a real female dog)--1st cast(I couldn't see the egg) the fish rolls (like u see trout takin nymphs off the bottom while standing on a bridge)---2nd cast same thing---3rd cast I set the hook and bam---fish hooked DEEP in the mouth---it was sucking it in and spitting it out every pass----usually go big/ugly---but it ain't the only way to skin a salmon.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/27 07:50:53 (permalink)
your right slayer, there are many ways to skin a salmon.. once more trout start showing I"ll throw an egg pattern and have caught a fair share of sharks on them too.. I just target the salmon with the big uglies early on..
another method for sharks is when they are starting to spawn to throw a crayfish pattern at them.. they don't like things messin with their redds.. so skin away any way you like nothing is in stone ..

trying to sleep last night was a ,as you said..b!tch.. time for relief meds..
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/27 07:58:31 (permalink)
Thanks, HT. I will get them  covered at the vice. Already have some that will fill the bill, I see.  I'm splitting for the  eastside of the Sierras to catch little  yellow salmonids that wouldn't even hardly count for bait.There about the size of the pectoral fins on Tuna's shark pic.   Hope you guys are healing well and getting ready. If I have any good shots, I'll post some pics when I get back.

Charlie
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/27 09:03:25 (permalink)
I commonly tie a snell knot on turned eye egg hook. I then wad a bunch of glo bug yarn and pull the knot tight with the yarn between the hook and the knot. Being that I fold the yarn and leave a tail; when wet; itpulsates in the water and tapers back and mostly covers the hook completely. They work great and trout will slam them as well. It beats tying a ton of flies as you make it on the spot. Just a few different colors in your pouch does the trick;although, it seems as if anything bright does the trick. I'll try to dig up some gear if I can to show you guys through a picture what im talking about, but I think most of my stuff is up at my place.

Btw...nice flies tuna. I'll have to fi.d some time to tie up a few of all of those so I can try to catch them like you do in your preffered spots on the 18th (as you suggested)
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/27 10:45:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

For c and d; i effectively catch salmon with it in fast runs as they sometimes hug the bottom in this water. But I still keep a fly fishing touch to the cast and the presentation....

do you dress as a mime when you do dat?

keep tossin them slow pitches DB, I like swingin for the fences...
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/27 11:01:31 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: hot tuna

if i use marabou on the tails of comets I tend to keep them on the long side of 3, if just krystal flash then just under 3..
and the bead chain eyes are usually my only weight.. these are not c&d flies by any means and basically all I use for salmon.. think I have caught 1 or 2 in my days

What hook are you using there? I tie up a  bunch of bunny leaches in olive and black for steel out here in erie.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/27 11:02:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

do you dress as a mime when you do dat?

keep tossin them slow pitches DB, I like swingin for the fences...

No I actually dress as a cave man

Btw; do you have any leftover boxes of count drakeyoulla oops I mean count choculla cereal...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/27 11:07:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: cbeagler

What hook are you using there? I tie up a  bunch of bunny leaches in olive and black for steel out here in erie.

Hey cb; mustad makes a great salmon hook that works great for traditional wets, leaches, and larger nymphs. They are black and have a turned eye as well. Sorry; no model #
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/27 11:11:46 (permalink)
I don't eat cereal or drink milk..

perhaps I should....

they may provide me the energy & cat-like reflexes to " keep a fly fishing touch to the cast and the presentation....of a C&D SLAM....

bbbwwwaahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

once again DB, just bustin on ya, nuttin personal - da summerz heatz muzta gotz 2 me,

but you really toss out some gems from time to time - it keeps this place worth checking out...

later dOOd..
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/27 11:20:30 (permalink)

Nice fly HT.

Do you think it makes a difference whether or not you use chain-link -vs- round bead or cone bead?

or is just part of your "advanced artistic rendering abilities" intended to add variety to your fly arsenal?

I never bothered painting or sticking eyes on flies either - especially when using them in moving waters, I don't think the fish have enough time to get that good a look at their quarry and if the silloutte is close enough - game on. (just my opinion)..
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/27 11:25:35 (permalink)
db i know exactly what your talking about.. it's called a yarn fly.. works better if you snell the hook about a foot up on the line with your bank sinker tied to the bottom.. just kiddin...

cbeagler;
for salmon the hooks are mustad 36890 size#4 salmon fly hook.
for steelhead i use a mustad 3906b again size#4
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/27 11:31:48 (permalink)

db i know exactly what your talking about.. it's called a yarn fly.. works better if you snell the hook about a foot up on the line with your bank sinker tied to the bottom.. just kiddin...

cbeagler;

Hey tuna, I know guys who rig like that in oswego and nail the crap out of em...

I figrued that was a mustad hook
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/27 11:34:29 (permalink)
drake;
the bead chain sits perfect on those hooks and balances the fly well.. it's used for weight purpose more then anything.. i usually do a 50/50 mix as some times esp. in low water it's too much weight.. my goal is to swing the fly with a side profile, level or above the fish not below.
i dont want my flies touching the bottom.. I want the fish to see it coming..
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/27 11:46:54 (permalink)

cbeagler;

Hey tuna, I know guys who rig like that in oswego and nail the crap out of em...

you mean snag the crap outta them.. lol
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/27 12:04:52 (permalink)

cbeagler;

you mean snag the crap outta them.. lol

Funny stuff; yes there are plenty of snaggers over there, but im referring to the brown trout guys who rig like that who just let a similar rig sit on the bottom in the deep back eddy's.... theyjust sit and watch until their rod starts pulling. No snagging involved at all here.... not my cup of tea though...
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/27 12:10:25 (permalink)
Years ago when I still ventured to the DSR 3 of us were fishing the tail end of the Joss hole during a good run of Salmon.We were using Jensen eggs (chartruse) on a size 10 egg hook with our fly rods,very little weight for a nice smooth drift.We were into fish all day,many times triples,dawn to dusk.There were many others fishing with surf rods,heavy line and weight,no natural drift.They were not catching near what we were but just kept doing what they were doing.So Slayer you are correct,you don't need flys down there :)
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: Rods and reels 2011/07/27 12:45:14 (permalink)
pa your quite right and by no means am I a snoooob.. or saying this is how it must be done..
I fish all aspects.. just found for salmon the fishing is always in close. casting a spinning rod and retrieving is a lot more "work" involved.
being able to lift the line out of the water, make a back cast and put it on target is just so easy and effective >to me< that’s why I do it. the bonus is creating a fly that the fish will take readily and just personal satisfaction.. as said nothing is ever set in stone as far as I’m concerned.. what works well for some may not for others.. I just try to offer the advice that has been proven well over the years for my clients & myself and point out ways to avoid mistakes..
I also take the advice of others so maybe I can learn new and effective ways too.. If I ever stop learning, that only means that I’m dead..

p.s.
know you were not pointing fingers just giving my background..
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 9
Jump to: