Carp Baits

Author
smalliemaster
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 26
  • Reward points: 0
2011/07/16 23:29:52 (permalink)

Carp Baits

I am looking to take my kids carp fishing down the river. I have mainly fished corn for carp. I would like to make doughball(family activity). Hoping to learn a couple recipes to try. Thanks

6 Replies Related Threads

kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: Carp Baits 2011/07/17 11:15:39 (permalink)
    look around on google, found one that works pretty well, maybe make a few and see what one works better

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
    russelln114
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Carp Baits 2011/07/17 20:45:38 (permalink)
    Doughballs were the best carp bait growing up. My dad use to make a recipe he got from field and stream. He died when i was only 8 years old though and i was never able to duplicate the recipe. About 6 months ago  I was surfing the web and i tried to search for the article. To my amazement I found my dads recipe on google books. It was In the July issue of field and stream 1972. I was able to grab the page using pixlr grabber in Firefox.  It's called L.C page's jello bait. I will attach the page. I hope it goes through. Everyone in the family was very happy. If you follow this recipe you can roll them up into balls then refridgerate them.
    post edited by russelln114 - 2011/07/17 20:48:10

Attached Image(s)

KingKool
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 234
    RE: Carp Baits 2011/07/18 21:34:42 (permalink)
    Sweet rides on the next page...............

4 out of 3 people don't understand fractions.
    flatheadfishin
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: Carp Baits 2011/07/24 21:52:43 (permalink)
    I'll give up the one I came up with.  Been years since I made it and I never really tracked amounts of ingredients so I'll have to guess a little (you might have to adjust the wet and dry ingredients to get the right consistency).  1 cup of cornmeal, 3/4 cup flour, 2 egg yolks, 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract.  Mix the dry ingredients then add the wet.  Mix well.  The batter should be relatively wet at this point so if it is dry add more wet ingredients.  If it is too wet add more flour.  Once you have ot to where it is relatively thick (sticks well to a spoon) but still moist, spread some cornstarch out and start kneading the dough in the cornstarch until it is mostly dry (still a little tacky) on the outside but will roll up into a a firm ball.  That's about it.  Really simple.  I tried to duplicate a good commercial dough I used to get years ago that I don't see anymore (by the way, there are some pretty poor commercial doughbaits out there).  We always did very well on this dough.  I also made a variant by adding some (2 teaspoons maybe) of the paste chicken bullion (the kind in the plastic jars with a lot of salt).  We tried to determine if the chicken worked better but they seemed pretty even.  One would work better one day and then the other would do better.  With this basic recipe you could probably make unlimited variants.  Add anise extract, substitute jello mix for the sugar, etc.  I never tried to make "boilies" out of it but I imagine it would work for that too.  Hope this helps.  Good luck. 
    Nailbender
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Carp Baits 2011/07/26 11:16:46 (permalink)
    Here is a recipe that has won several bicycles at the yearly carp contest held at lake emily in mckeesport
    1 jar Wheat Germ
    Milk
    vanilla extract (pure works the best)
    Put wheat jerm in a bowl cover with milk make it loose
    put in vanilla extract more is not better so hold it to a 2 table spoons to 1/2 jar of wheat germ you can use any flavoring you like so its fun to make several flavors and experiment my daughter once cought a 36" carp on peppermint flavor broke her pole during the contest.

Put in a microwave for 3 min and stir
    put in microw for 2 min and stir
    continue untill it thickens and will hold into a ball/ roll into a ball and let cool then refridgerate or use /it will last for two days
    before microwaves this would be made in a pan over high heat and stir like crazy my mother wasnt pleased to find burnt wheat germ on her pots
    Corn meal can also be made this way and you can add stawberry jello or penunt butter to this they both work well
    smalliemaster
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Carp Baits 2011/07/29 21:09:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info guys. I made a cornmeal, flour, sugar and strawberry jello doughball. We did not catch any fish but they had fun.
    Jump to: