Steelhead Trolling Newbie

Author
BobGriffith
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points: 0
2011/07/16 20:28:51 (permalink)

Steelhead Trolling Newbie

We finally have a boat that can handle erie and were looking to break into the trolling game fishing for steelhead this year.  Problem is, we know virtually nothing about it besides needing downriggers and trolling rods.  When should we start? We were planning to troll near the mouths where the steelhead will be gathering.  What type, color, size lures? Downrigger ball weight? Trolling speed? Anything lol  Thanks guys

1 Reply Related Threads

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Steelhead Trolling Newbie 2011/07/17 09:06:03 (permalink)
    Get out now and get comfortable with your equipment.  When fall rolls around, the boat traffic can get, for the lack of  a better term..challenging where you want to fish.  Don't be "that guy" at the mouth with one line crossing someone elses, or in someones prop!

You covered the basic equipment you'll need.  I have 10 and 12 lb. balls on the boat, and either will work fine.  We troll Little Cleos, small jointed Rapala's, and other small hard bait minnow replica's in bright colors- and black.  Caught lots of fish just below the surface too, so don't think you'll need to get the baits down.

Good luck with the boat.  That time of the year is pretty awesome on the lake.  Don't forget about the perch that time of year either.  If you think this time of the year is good, in the fall, its even better!

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    Jump to: