greetings from the south!

Author
plugchugger
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/07 13:04:01 (permalink)

greetings from the south!

Hey yall! Nice place you have here.  Im from Georgia now but I used to live neer Buffalo.(GO BILLS!)

I used to fish the Salmon River but it has been like 15 years since my last trip.

Can we still use J-plugs? That is my favorite tecnique because of all the action. My cuz. from the catskill area said that noone does that any more. Everybody is useing worms and the old stand by browtrout eggs. They work pretty good too. We used to catch a big female brown and just take her eggs. That way we didnt kill the fish, but we had enough bait for the day. Win-Win!  I'll be up there as soon as the Salmon start running, but untill then I'll be checking in here to see what you all are doing and how the fishing is/is'nt.

Ps Can I buy BT eggs up there? if so how much are they? I need to start stocking up now because we sure do go through them quick.

Thanks For any info.

16 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: greetings from the south! 2007/04/07 15:13:21 (permalink)
    Here's a link to the DEC
     http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/fishregs/index.html
    Shops do not sell Trout Eggs.
    Milking a fish for eggs is considered unethical by most. Is a very hot topic.
    Lots of guys use BT eggs, Especially Float Fishers (bobber guys).
    Some want to ban the use of eggs all together because of the fish being milked for eggs and left to rot on the bank. People are fired up about it to say the least.
    I hope others will chime in and give you a better explanation.
    Redearch the old board. you will find plenty there on a title search. If you wait it will be around again closer to Salmon Season. That's when the fur starts to fly. LOL

post edited by salmotrutta - 2007/04/07 15:26:06

Lyrical
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: greetings from the south! 2007/04/07 16:16:05 (permalink)
    While I do kill a few fish each year Kings and Browns for eggs.I do not and have never milked them for eggs and leave them lay.I take every fish I keep for eggs with me as I know more than one person that wants to eat them nasty tasting fish.Most all the fish we catch have came from smolts that were stocked by the state making it a put and take fishery.There for there should no ever be a problem with a angler taking a fish for the sake of the eggs as long as the angler does not milk the fish and waste it. Since the ban of in state eggs for sale came in Pennsylvania I have personaly seen way more fish cut open for there eggs and left lay then before the regs became effective. This is a sport for everyone not just the elitist fly guys so quit trying to make it that way.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: greetings from the south! 2007/04/07 16:48:41 (permalink)
    You tell em SAC !  How you been Tom ?  And is your better half doin better?   Dave
    plugchugger
    New Angler
    RE: greetings from the south! 2007/04/07 17:14:37 (permalink)
    So then its ok to milk a trout? Im a little confused...All I know is when I catch a brown with eggs, I'm takeing them.... as long as the state says I can. If im reading the regs correctly its perfectly legal. If I catch more than one trout with eggs, and I have the somewhere to put them I'll take the second trouts eggs also. Why not?
    There are a lot of people smarter than the average bear that make up the regs. Who are we to say whats right?

I dont know Its been years since Ive been up there but thats the way I feel. When I go fishing I go for numbers and numbers only. Whats so wrong with that?  The salmon are gonna die anyway.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: greetings from the south! 2007/04/07 18:05:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: egg sac
     This is a sport for everyone not just the elitist fly guys so quit trying to make it that way.

I made no mention of being for, or against it. Only explaining it is a hot issue right now. I posted a link to the regs. The rules are in there.
    The Dec states milking Trout for eggs is unethical, as do alot of anglers.
    I know guys who get the eggs and give the fish away. I belive the rule is you must dispose of a carcus properly. Leaving it lay would be a violation. Taking it home and throwing it in the trash would not.

As far as milking and releasing there are many who will not tollerate it if they see it- no matter what the DEC says. Hot Issue.

My feelings don't matter. Just trying to let you know what's happening up there in a civil way.

Lyrical
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: greetings from the south! 2007/04/07 18:17:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: egg sac

This is a sport for everyone not just the elitist fly guys so quit trying to make it that way.

I am a fly fisherman and I'll be willing to bet everyone on this board has more $ than me....so don't refer to the type of fishing I do as "elitist". Thats just crap.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    plugchugger
    New Angler
    RE: greetings from the south! 2007/04/07 19:13:33 (permalink)
    I have never met a fly boy that I could tolerate. All preppy and fagged out in their "river runs through it" hats. Looking like they just stepped out of an Orvis catalog. "im better than you" just oozeing out of their every action.

I think that they are just disgruntal because they cant catch any fish.

Ps. Thanks for PM about the BTeggs lnfo  Thats a good price.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: greetings from the south! 2007/04/07 19:36:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: plugchugger

I have never met a fly boy that I could tolerate. All preppy and fagged out in their "river runs through it" hats. Looking like they just stepped out of an Orvis catalog. "im better than you" just oozeing out of their every action.

Let me be very clear. I WILL NOT TOLLERATE this on my board from ANYONE!
    Noone has provoked you personally. You asked for information, and it was respectfully given. No one including myself has critisized the way you choose to fish, so don't throw stones at guys who use differant tactics.
    This isn't a forum to critisize differant methods of fishing, and it will NOT become as such.
    Just so everone is clear, we can resume the thread.

Glad you found some BT eggs. They work the best I hear.

Lyrical
    Beedhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: greetings from the south! 2007/04/07 19:56:21 (permalink)

Then you are part of the problem on what goes on at the SR...Its all about #'s right ?? Not matter how you get them. And for stripping eggs which is an inexcusable action for any angler just for eggs. Do us all a favor and just harvest the fish and use it they way it should be used not just stripped and tossed back into the stream.

Just my 2 pennies
    post edited by Beedhed - 2007/04/07 19:57:58
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: greetings from the south! 2007/04/07 20:05:25 (permalink)
     http://oldtoolsforsale.com/smiley13/x8.gif
    By the way- this is for the haters out there. LMFAO@U!
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2007/04/07 20:06:56

Lyrical
    plugchugger
    New Angler
    RE: greetings from the south! 2007/04/07 20:29:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Beedhed

...Its all about #'s right ?? Not matter how you get them. And for stripping eggs which is an awsome idea. For any angler just for eggs. Do us all a favor and just strip the fish and  sell the eggs on e-bay.

Just my 2 pennies

Hey beedhed, Thats a great Idea!  I just found a link to a site that sells eggs for bait. From someone here! Wow this place is usefull.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: greetings from the south! 2007/04/07 20:39:44 (permalink)
    Plugchugger-
    WTF???
    Are you on some type of medication, or just in need of some?
    You are not off to a good start here.
    Beedhead said nothing like that. What planet are you on?
    I feel for ya man.

Lyrical
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: greetings from the south! 2007/04/07 22:02:41 (permalink)
    Ok since I took a bit of heat and was misunderstud let me explain my feelings on this subject..I myself flyfish but not exclusivly I do not have ill feeling to the average flyguy..What I do have ill feelings about is people that think only there way to do things is correct..At one time most fly guys when they seen a bait guy fishing acted like a vegitarian watching someone eat meat..Granted this has changed alot over the years. I will say if I see guys milking a fish for eggs and discarding it I get majorly ****ed about it..The fish needs a bit more respect then that..I do harvest fish for the sole purpose of eggs but do take them with me and do make sure they are ate by someone. As long as one is not wasting the fish and is obeying all laws there should never be any debaits over how any guy fishes..

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: greetings from the south! 2007/04/07 22:19:56 (permalink)
    Right on. I remember those days. Thet were usually smoking a cigar and the whole bit. I just like fly fishing more than the other stuff. The reward being catching fish on flies I've made. To each his/her own.
    As you said- as long as you're legal we're all anglers.
    Peace out.
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2007/04/07 22:29:22

Lyrical
    racinray
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: greetings from the south! 2007/04/08 12:33:07 (permalink)
    Salmo,first of many just gotta weed thru them.Ray

la Fish Hog
    Beedhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: greetings from the south! 2007/04/08 13:09:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beedhed

...Its all about #'s right ?? Not matter how you get them. And for stripping eggs which is an awsome idea. For any angler just for eggs. Do us all a favor and just strip the fish and  sell the eggs on e-bay.

Just my 2 pennies

Hey beedhed, Thats a great Idea!  I just found a link to a site that sells eggs for bait. From someone here! Wow this place is usefull.

Yeah you got me..LOL... I wonder whats the record for the fewest number of posts before getting banned from a site ???
    Jump to: