New Gear and Such...

Author
wednick
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 52
  • Reward points: 0
2011/07/09 13:26:23 (permalink)

New Gear and Such...

After i kinda introduced myself as a local on this forum in the Catch and Release forum, i thought id ask what everyone has for new gear that they like and what is good for the SR and such. Growing up i was at the mercy of being young without a decent job and girlfriends. So my gear was lackluster at best, im scared to think of the gear i destroyed in my younger years being stupid.

But now that i have a job and a good living i can get away from my ugly stick cheap waders and get some big boy fishing gear.

So i figured id start a thread of good gear to have for anyone and everyone to look at that could last fishing in the SR. Ill post my review of my new big boy simms wading boots as soon as i get the model of them.

Cheers Gentlemen.

20 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/09 14:04:34 (permalink)
    Hey man- first of all welcome.

I have all Simms waders, boots, jacket, etc....
    For rods I fish Sage. I really like XP's. I use a 9' 8wt. up there and I have a Hardy Viscount LW disc drag reel I got on sale once a while back.
    Pretty much all of my gear I bought before I had kids, though I still sneak a rod or something now and then.

Lyrical
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/09 16:25:08 (permalink)
    Welcome! I'm not only new here, but new to the steel addiction on the SR. Like Salmo, I love Sage XP's and fished the same 9'  8 wt. when I started last Nov.. I quickly switched to a Grey's 11' 7 wt. single hand that I got for a GREAT price at Melinda's in Altmar. It handles all rolls and single Speys  with ease, and has a soft enough tip to protect light tippets. I've flyfished in many places for many years. I quickly figured out the lifting and flossing crap  and how to avoid  doing it and still catch  lots of fish.  I like the long rod for the control I get highstick nymphing, and how well I can mend when swinging flies. I'll use a Sage XP 9 wt. for salmon. I use a Lamson Velocity reel. They have sealed bearings and tend not to freeze up in the winter.  I had  several  I used in the salt. I read your very good  introduction in the C and R thread, I bet you have lots of stories!  
    I totally agree with your opinion on the c and r.

Charlie

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/09 16:44:58 (permalink)
    I just purchased a Wusthof Fillet Knife,

German-made precision gives this versatile knife the dependability and ease of use you need for a wide range of cutting jobs. These knives are designed with the highest-quality steel for consistent strength and sharpness, and have a comfortable, curved handle. The flexible, forged blade holds its edge for a lifetime of reliability. Includes a leather belt sheath.

ooops, I thought you typed "Fillet & Release"..

sorry bout that....
    wednick
    Novice Angler
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/09 17:00:10 (permalink)
    Nice Drake... the funny thing is i actually have a fillet and release sticker on my cooler from Salmon River Sports Shop . But i prefer my great uncles knife hes been filleting with since jesus and him were snagging.

Ive been looking at lamson reels, just from things ive heard about on the internet from "reporters" that "might be influenced" by the manufacturers themselves. But now knowing that the bearings are sealed up helps me wrap my head around spending that much on a reel knowing it is durable.

And i found my wading boots, Simms Freestone, with rubber vibram soles that can be cusomized with metal and now aluminumunumum cleats. At first i had a hard time dropping 150 on wading boots and 85 for breathable waders but now i dont regret it especially with comfort.

But thanks for the feedback on lamson reels and sage rods, hopefully ill have some new investments to play around with come september.

Cheers Gentlemen.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/09 21:57:04 (permalink)
    WOW---
         You guys spend a lot on gear--- Looked up some of the stuff mentioned here on E-Bay and looks like your rods are worth more than any rig ( including waders and boots) than I use.
         Yes -went from the old 10 wt Ugly Stick with the Martin reel long ago- Went to a 5 wt Fenwik and somekinda hundred dollar reel with a drag and a coupla new lines and backing. Also picked a coupla 9 wt Cabelas rods and nice reels too - on a closeout sale a few  years ago.
         Point is they all catch fish Fall and Winter and all feel nice and seem to work very well. I know that many expensive rigs are worth the money as they are fine systems but have just never seemed to feel like I need them. ( Feel differently bout my deer guns though)
    My next will be a Cabelas Switch in 11' 8 wt (cost bout 250 for the rod alone and 325 for rod and reel combo on the lsi Switch)) for an all round rod-of course with new decent reel and line. Spend a  lot up there with the place and all and going up every other week year round for a coupla days and am quite pleased with equipment in this range.
       The stuff I see today in this price range is so very far superior to what was around not so very long ago it seems to fit me just fine.
       Seems like I fished half my life with the old glass Garcia rods with garden hackle.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/07/09 22:35:50
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/10 01:42:23 (permalink)
    Hey retired- everyone has a hobby they spend too much $ on, for me it's fishing (well before I had a family to support).

Hey new guy- get the star cleats & bolt em' on. I got em on my new boots and they're worth it. As good as felt so far...

Lamson on my 5wt Trout rod and it's real sweet but I wouldn't like the plastic insides for Salmons I don't think.
    Had the Hardy long before that when disc was the norm & it works. Pic. below...
    Got a grey's G-tec reel on my 6wt and for the $ it is a great reel too. Nice sealed drag. In fact I may use it this fall with my 8wt.

Lyrical
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/10 05:42:59 (permalink)
    No need to spend big $ on gear.
    Okuma makes some nice reels with sealed drags - that won't break the bank.

Aluminum cleats?? I wonder how long they will last?
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/10 11:07:40 (permalink)
    Hey Salmo-
       Love that,  the gear I had before family, stuff.  HA HA  -tell it to the newlyweds- been married over 40 years now myself- before that used a string tied to a stick.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/10 14:04:01 (permalink)
    Hehehe

Lyrical
    wednick
    Novice Angler
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/10 14:26:05 (permalink)
    Ive got the star bit cleats on my boots and they are phenomenal, sure its the first pair of stocking foot waders and boots ive ever owned and ill tell you for sure that it makes fishing more comfortable and safer come winter time.

Okuma helios i was playing with the other day and im quite impressed with the drag and overall feel of it. Im gonna do further research on the bearing system and such.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/10 16:41:43 (permalink)
    welcome aboard wednick...fishing gear can be addictive and expensive. in reality, i can catch probably just as many fish on cheap gear than i can on expensive gear... but, i do prefer my gear on the nicer side as you can see from this picture...
    post edited by dimebrite - 2011/07/10 16:42:32

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    wednick
    Novice Angler
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/10 18:10:52 (permalink)
    Hey i have no problem spending good money on gear that wont fail me. Thats why i asked you guys to give me input on gear owned by people who will give a gods honest truth. Thanks guys ive been doing research for days now on fishing gear.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/10 18:21:48 (permalink)
    do you have an estimated budget? i recomend putting most of your money in to rods and reels rather than waders...
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/11 02:31:16 (permalink)
    And good fly line, leader material and hooks always!

BTW dt- star cleats are carbide or something. Plenty gnarly enough to mark up some stones.

Lyrical
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/11 03:10:04 (permalink)
    BTW- if you're looking for a great pack this thing is the end of my journey for what I always wanted & the price wasn't bad either.
    Recycled waders....
    That be my XP/Lamson 5wt Trout setup. You know, for the itty bitty flies.

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/11 07:31:00 (permalink)
    hey nick; tfo has a decent stick for the money. i have the 11' 7 weight switch by them. i do prefer a thomas and thomas or sage though when it comes to castability and line control. IMO this is most important. for reels, i have an old school lamson that is sized for steelhead but has also stood the test of kings, so i'm sure their new stuff is good as well. i'm sure the okuma is decent as well. for myself, i prefer a house of hardy; hardy sovereign in particular... oh yeah, i grew up using scientific angler reels for years on the salmon river; i don't know how they are now, but the old ones were great for the money... good luck
    post edited by dimebrite - 2011/07/11 07:32:26
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/11 10:25:51 (permalink)
    Star cleats are carbide, but I go to Tractor Suppy and get 3/4" carbide screws that I put in the bottom of my waders.  Best to screw them in and use Super Glue to seal them into the boot soles.  I also insert Dr. Scholl's Gel inserts in my waders for added comfort and warm during the winter season.

Eagle Ed

ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

And good fly line, leader material and hooks always!

BTW dt- star cleats are carbide or something. Plenty gnarly enough to mark up some stones.

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/11 11:50:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wednick

Ive got the star bit cleats on my boots and they are phenomenal, sure its the first pair of stocking foot waders and boots ive ever owned and ill tell you for sure that it makes fishing more comfortable and safer come winter time.

Okuma helios i was playing with the other day and im quite impressed with the drag and overall feel of it. Im gonna do further research on the bearing system and such.

The Okuma helios is a great reel for the money,I have one on my Steelhead rig.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/11 11:54:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

hey nick; tfo has a decent stick for the money. i have the 11' 7 weight switch by them. i do prefer a thomas and thomas or sage though when it comes to castability and line control. IMO this is most important. for reels, i have an old school lamson that is sized for steelhead but has also stood the test of kings, so i'm sure their new stuff is good as well. i'm sure the okuma is decent as well. for myself, i prefer a house of hardy; hardy sovereign in particular... oh yeah, i grew up using scientific angler reels for years on the salmon river; i don't know how they are now, but the old ones were great for the money... good luck

dime,I still use a SA reel for Salmon,thing just keeps going and never fails me.Annnd I'm too cheap to change LOL.
    wednick
    Novice Angler
    RE: New Gear and Such... 2011/07/11 13:01:01 (permalink)
    I bought new waders last year due to my neoprenes ripping the previous february in pineville (definately not a pleasent experience to say the least) and my other breathables ripping on the seem of the boots, so i kinda splurged and got breathables with simms boots. And then as lady luck decided to snap my old cabelas fly rod and therefore i had to move to my back up ugly stick.
    Jump to: