Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
2011/06/21 00:39:50 (permalink)

2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ???????????

I picked up a new Hunting and Trapping digest and found a few thing to be confusing.

#1 on pg 17 it says under scents and lures that contain any form of natural or artificial food stuff, including but not limited to, corn apples and acorns are not legal.

Does this mean that cover scents that are made are illegal such as HS Strut acorn scent wafers or liquid?

#2 on pg 31 under bow and arrow equipment. A projectile shot from a bow with an overall length exceeding the brace height of the bow with fletching design only for guidness at the aft end and a broadhead mounted on the fore end. No electronic tracking devise should be part of or attacked to the arrow.

Does this mean that FOBs and Luminocks are illegal ?

RSB is this true?? why does it change every year. I also saw nothing that states a field tip in the quiver is legal.

It would of been nice to go to the PGC site and review the new 2011-2012 hunting and trapping digest but it does not exist.

36 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 10:40:45 (permalink)
    You're not supposed to read that...

Not sure why things have to be so complicated these days, just spell it out in simple english...
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 12:40:09 (permalink)
    OMG...

I can not even begin to believe what OA just posted.. what world does this guy live in.... ????

#1...
    why does it change every year

REALLY changes every year ???

in last years digest on page 17 it states the exact same thing about scents that it does in this years.......

in last years digest on page 31 it states the exact same thing about projectiles....

so what "yearly changes" are you referring too...

#2...
    It would of been nice to go to the PGC site and review the new 2011-2012 hunting and trapping digest but it does not exist.

The digest is on the front page on the PGC website on the right side.. has been there since you could start to buy the current license... June 1st... .. you need to visit my site where there is lots of info not just arguements..

I posted a link to it on June 6th...

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/06/21 12:58:59
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 12:54:00 (permalink)
    One last comment.. the scent rule was changed after the 2009 season

for the 2009 season scents and lures were legal, it was then change for 2010 ... and NOT changed for this year..

BUT the projectile rules were the EXACT same for the 2009 season as they are today ...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/06/21 12:58:13
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 13:53:46 (permalink)
    Once again I ask a simple question and DT has to condemn it ! Are FOBs legal ? Are Luminocks legal ? Are cover scents that smell like apples or acorns solid or liquid legal? Does the book say that it is legal to carry a field tip in your quiver? When you try to open the hunting digest on the PGC site under laws (right corner) it comes up "enterprise portal". The change every year was refered to FOBs and Luminocks. Feel free to flap your lips DT.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 15:20:05 (permalink)
    Feel free to flap your lips DT.

And Doc wonders why (as he claims) people pick on him. You get what you give.
    post edited by S-10 - 2011/06/21 15:21:03
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 16:21:25 (permalink)
    The following devices may now be used to hunt or take wildlife: Any
    manually operated firearm that uses an electronic impulse to detonate the
    primer or main powder charge of the ammunition, unless such firearms are
    a specifically prohibited device. Electronic illuminating devices that are
    affixed at the aft end of a bolt or arrow and used solely for the purpose of
    locating or tracking bolt or arrow flight after being launched from a crossbow
    or bow.

That is from the new digest so Lumenoks and similar nocks are allowed according to this.
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 16:47:17 (permalink)
    MY opinion of the excerpt saying there may be no electronic tracking device attatched to the arrow, I believe, is not referring to the visible tracking of the arrow in flight (Lumenok), but rather any type of tracking device used to locate an arrow that may be inside game or down the blood trail, like a radio tracker or GPS. I do not know of any device specifically intended for this but I suppose if you are inclined it could be fashioned from a high tech dog tracking unit. Thats how I interpret these laws anyway... so keep the Lumenok, I am a fan

Field points I want to look into some more, as long as you are not launching them at big game it should be legit to have one with you
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 17:14:02 (permalink)
    Lumenox-- Tell me more about them, can you really follow the flight of the arrow and see where it strikes? Both night and day? Do they stay lit so you can find your arrow? How often do they fail? Are they really worth the money. Any answer from anyone appreciated.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 17:56:15 (permalink)
    I never shot the luminox, but I have been shooting carbon express's equivalent for a few years.

To answer your questions based on my experiences:

Yes, it makes it very easy to track the flight of the arrow.  I have never used them in a hunting situation, but they are very useful to ensure you are getting good arrow flight.  The smallest anomaly in arrow flight becomes very visible.

Yes, they are highly visible in nearly all light conditions.  I have played with red and green, and I prefer the red.

Yes, they do stay lit until you retrieve your arrow and shut them off.

In my experience they are not the most durable thing.  I bought 3 of them about 3 years ago and one broke after a couple shots, one broke after about 100 shots, and after several hundred shots my last one still works.

For $8 a pop I think they are worth it.  I am planning to get a few more this year and try them in the woods this year.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 18:25:28 (permalink)
    Just click on the picture of the 2011-2012 digest ... gheez.. how simple can that be ????
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 18:59:37 (permalink)
    Thanks Esox
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 19:18:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

I picked up a new Hunting and Trapping digest and found a few thing to be confusing.

#1 on pg 17 it says under scents and lures that contain any form of natural or artificial food stuff, including but not limited to, corn apples and acorns are not legal.

Does this mean that cover scents that are made are illegal such as HS Strut acorn scent wafers or liquid?

#2 on pg 31 under bow and arrow equipment. A projectile shot from a bow with an overall length exceeding the brace height of the bow with fletching design only for guidness at the aft end and a broadhead mounted on the fore end. No electronic tracking devise should be part of or attacked to the arrow.

RSB is this true?? why does it change every year. I also saw nothing that states a field tip in the quiver is legal.

All food scent lures whether solid or liquid are illegal.

Lighted nocks are legal.

I don’t see a big problem with a person carrying a field point arrow to discharge a crossbow as long as they don’t use it to shoot at any big game.

The digest on the Game Commission web site worked fine for me. In fact you can read it in book version or get it in PDF, which ever a person finds easiest to use.  

R.S. Bodenhorn
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1271
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 19:53:06 (permalink)
    Does every WCO have the equipment necessary to determine if a hunter is using food scent and how does that equipment distinguish between the apple smell of of a real apple and artificial apple food scent? If I forget to take an apple out of my pocket and place my archery clothes in the bag am I in violation if they smell like apples while I am hunting? Can WCOs detect the smell of corn,acorns or chestnuts?

And, BTW OA is correct that if you try to access the digest under the "law" heading it doesn't take you to the Digest.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 20:19:33 (permalink)
    "and how does that equipment distinguish between the apple smell of of a real apple and artificial apple food scent? "

It wouldn't need to differentiate between the two.

"scents and lures that contain any form of natural or artificial food stuff"

I doubt seriously that WCOs are going to go around "sniffing" people. Rather they would simply assume most hunters will abide by the rules. While standing in the lot of a gamelands with a spray bottle in your hand, and an obvious aroma surrounding you. Might draw their attention though.

Look uner the couch. Maybe you'll find an un-picked nit amongst the dust bunnies.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 20:40:31 (permalink)
    Some wonderful law we have! Ever changing to keep you on your toes,and provide more revenue in fines.Don't spray any food type cover on you or around you, but wait,the slobs that shot BOZO the bear had twinkes and mountain dew -to of his favorites in their fanny packs but that was considerd a good clean hunt. Where allowed to feed deer corn as long as we take the cobs away before we get caught,Oh I mean 30 days before the season.
    post edited by Big Tuna - 2011/06/21 20:41:45
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 20:42:58 (permalink)
    I don’t see a big problem with a person carrying a field point arrow to discharge a crossbow as long as they don’t use it to shoot at any big game.

Nor do I and think it should be legal.

But is it legal according to the digest ? Got a couple deputy dogs around here and the letter of the law is the letter of the law...

Guess I'll have to chuck those Hunters Specialties apple scented plastic wafers...
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2011/06/21 20:45:25

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

deerfly
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 20:57:17 (permalink)
    It wouldn't need to differentiate between the two.

"scents and lures that contain any form of natural or artificial food stuff"

An apple or two carried by a hunter as a snack is neither a natural or artificial scent or lure, yet it would emit the same organic compounds as an artificial apple scent or lure. If an archer chose to carry a bottle of apple juice instead of water would he be in violation of the law? A law that the PGC can't enforce equally is little more than harassment.
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/21 21:46:32 (permalink)
    There is a lot of confusing, misleading, conflicting, debatable, unclear, and difficult to enforce laws, regulations, and details when it comes to PA game laws. I have also been given different answers by different members of law enforcement and game officers when I talk to them and ask questions.

It is pretty cut and dry any commercial scent produced to attract deer wont fly but like I have said before, its basically up to the officer investigating and his discretion as to whether your in the right or not.

There is not and never will be any official statement on where legal ends and illegal begins, there is a gray area when it comes to baiting... If I chew apple skoal and spit whats the difference between that on the ground and apple buck jam?
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/22 00:18:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RSB

Lighted nocks are legal.

The digest on the Game Commission web site worked fine for me. In fact you can read it in book version or get it in PDF, which ever a person finds easiest to use.  

R.S. Bodenhorn

What about FOBs on an arrow ?
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/22 00:26:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

But is it legal according to the digest ? Got a couple deputy dogs around here and the letter of the law is the letter of the law...

Guess I'll have to chuck those Hunters Specialties apple scented plastic wafers...

I hear ya Bings. This has been a question asked for a couple of years and still no clarification. All it takes is someone to get cited because a WCO said something was OK and the digest stated otherwise, then that hunter is done with hunting forever.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/22 00:58:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

Lumenox-- Tell me more about them, can you really follow the flight of the arrow and see where it strikes? Both night and day? Do they stay lit so you can find your arrow? How often do they fail? Are they really worth the money. Any answer from anyone appreciated.

The Burt Coyote "Lumenok" ( I know I misspelled it before) seem to perform well. The nock actually slides tight against the end of the shaft upon release and completes contact between two tiny wires. You pull the nock straight out to turn off. A twisting motion will break the contacts.They are bright and are great in low light and for those with bad eyes. They also hold up well in bolts. The Easton Tracers are junk in my opinion. The must pass by a magnet to activate a switch.The magnet is mounted on the riser to activated them. Some times they light and not. They are also dimmer than the Lumenok and flash. Fire nocks are probably the best lighted nock on the market. I would look at them before anything else.
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/06/22 01:03:42
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/22 16:24:58 (permalink)
    1 on pg 17 it says under scents and lures that contain any form of natural or artificial food stuff, including but not limited to, corn apples and acorns are not legal.

Isn't it ironic that when they repealed the the use of bait in SRAs they said baiting wasn't effective. But yet they are apparently worried about hunters getting an advantage using food scented lures.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/22 18:14:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: deerfly

1 on pg 17 it says under scents and lures that contain any form of natural or artificial food stuff, including but not limited to, corn apples and acorns are not legal.

Isn't it ironic that when they repealed the the use of bait in SRAs they said baiting wasn't effective. But yet they are apparently worried about hunters getting an advantage using food scented lures.

I think it's rediculus ! A man made scent waffer that smells like apple is considered baiting. A guess eating candy is illeagal also as it is a form of food STUFF. Who writes this crap anyway ? Food STUFF, really ?
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/22 21:16:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RSB

Lighted nocks are legal.

R.S. Bodenhorn

What about FOBs on an arrow ?

What is an FOB?  
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/22 21:20:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

I hear ya Bings. This has been a question asked for a couple of years and still no clarification. All it takes is someone to get cited because a WCO said something was OK and the digest stated otherwise, then that hunter is done with hunting forever.

Well then just follow what it said in the digest instead of asking questions if it was already made clear to you there.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/22 21:22:26 (permalink)
    "What is an FOB?"

http://www.starrflight.com/

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/22 23:46:45 (permalink)
    What is a FOB ?

Your kidding, right RSB ?

Here is what the Digest states:

A projectile shot from a bow with an overall length exceeding the brace height of the bow with fletching design only for guidness at the aft end and a broadhead mounted on the fore end. No electronic tracking devise should be part of or attacked to the arrow.

Is a FOB of fletching design ? Vanes and feathers are fletching. What the deal using FOBs ? Legal or not ?

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/23 00:13:19 (permalink)
    Fletching is the aerodynamic stabilization of arrows or darts with materials such as feathers, each piece of which is referred to as a fletch. The word is related to the French word flèche, meaning "arrow," via Old French; the ultimate root is Frankish fliukka.

As a noun, fletching refers collectively to the fins or vanes, each of which individually is known as a fletch. Traditionally, the fletching consists of three matched half-feathers attached near the back of the arrow or dart's shaft that are equally spaced around its circumference. Today, modern plastics may be used instead. Fletches are traditionally attached with silk thread but simpler methods are also used, such as gluing. The fletching is used to stabilize the arrow through air resistance in flight. Some fletches impart a spin on the projectile, but all are there to impart a drag on the tail of the projectile to ensure that it does not tumble during flight.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011-2012 PA Hunting Digest ??????????? 2011/06/23 00:26:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Fletching is the aerodynamic stabilization of arrows or darts with materials such as feathers, each piece of which is referred to as a fletch. The word is related to the French word flèche, meaning "arrow," via Old French; the ultimate root is Frankish fliukka.

As a noun, fletching refers collectively to the fins or vanes, each of which individually is known as a fletch. Traditionally, the fletching consists of three matched half-feathers attached near the back of the arrow or dart's shaft that are equally spaced around its circumference. Today, modern plastics may be used instead. Fletches are traditionally attached with silk thread but simpler methods are also used, such as gluing. The fletching is used to stabilize the arrow through air resistance in flight. Some fletches impart a spin on the projectile, but all are there to impart a drag on the tail of the projectile to ensure that it does not tumble during flight.

All vanes are plastic. Whats your point ?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: