any new regs for ny fishing

Author
ssgt12
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 155
  • Reward points: 0
2011/06/20 06:19:04 (permalink)

any new regs for ny fishing

anyone heard if they are going to rasie the price for a ny fishing lic for 2011/2012 also any new regs coming out for the salmon river or the tribs

15 Replies Related Threads

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: any new regs for ny fishing 2011/06/20 08:23:30 (permalink)
    I've heard rumors that the "Save Our Fishery" types are lobbying to reduce the brown trout daily creel limit in the tribs from 3 to 1. DEC has been taking comments regarding this issue - so it is being considered.

I guess the "enlightened ones" are not satisfied with the cookie-cutter Steelheads that have resulted from the daily creel reductions a few years ago.

- the DEC will write a reg about the use of beads above bare hooks - not sure of the specifics.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: any new regs for ny fishing 2011/06/20 09:47:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

I've heard rumors that the "Save Our Fishery" types are lobbying to reduce the brown trout daily creel limit in the tribs from 3 to 1. DEC has been taking comments regarding this issue - so it is being considered.

I guess the "enlightened ones" are not satisfied with the cookie-cutter Steelheads that have resulted from the daily creel reductions a few years ago.

- the DEC will write a reg about the use of beads above bare hooks - not sure of the specifics.

Brown trout limit doesn't bother me really...

Now; if they are reviewing a bead above a bare hook, is a tube fly going to fall under this category also? Any info available on that???
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: any new regs for ny fishing 2011/06/20 10:03:43 (permalink)
       Think if we all raised our hands and looked around we'd see that limits don't mean much here- Most of us C & R  anyhow.
       Never knew bout any 'bare hook'  thing though. -Just don't seem to set right.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: any new regs for ny fishing 2011/06/20 10:22:54 (permalink)
    It would be comical if they cracked down on pegged beads. I don't agree with the bare hook thing, then again I don't care for allot of what goes on up there I witness.
    Cookie cutters they can have. I want a real chance of a mid teen or better Steel or Brown when I do get to fish there. If I wanted cookie cutters I would fish little Erie water. And I don't.

Lyrical
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: any new regs for ny fishing 2011/06/20 10:40:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Think if we all raised our hands and looked around we'd see that limits don't mean much here- Most of us C & R  anyhow.
      Never knew bout any 'bare hook'  thing though. -Just don't seem to set right.

RT - I don't keep them either. But, as Slammo mentioned, I want a chance at a bona-fide HAWG.

IMO - the folks that do keep their limits keep the "farm pond" from turning into Dinkville.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: any new regs for ny fishing 2011/06/20 10:50:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

Now; if they are reviewing a bead above a bare hook, is a tube fly going to fall under this category also? Any info available on that???

Check out the DEC website for PROPOSED REG CHANGES.

Details are there.

Slammo - all a Bead Guy would have to do is twist a couple wraps of thread on the hook and wala - hook is no longer bare.

....unless, the DEC requires at least 1/8 oz flytying material attached to the hook - like the 1/8 oz weight restriction they "supposedly enforce" in the Fly Zone Kiddie pools.

p.s. - I'z wOnDeRZ hoWZ dEm deC dOOdZ knOWZ A FLyz oVErZ 1/8oZ?

deC: You are in violation of the LFZ Weight Restriction.

vIoLaTOr: hOwZ u kNoWz dAt?

deC: wEigHz iT oN HiZ tRiPle bEAm, dEn HANdZ dA vIoLaTOr dA tICkET..

vIoLaTor: wHeRZ U gEtZ dAt fAnCY sCaLe oCCiFEr?

deC: nEvErMInd.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: any new regs for ny fishing 2011/06/20 16:31:33 (permalink)
    yea some new regs in the works for 2012-2014
    the SR.. as said they are Comments will be accepted through June 24, 2011, so if you want your words heard then start typing..
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/74638.html

really I see no big deals.. no increase in license fees (that I seen) and the SR reg changes are fine by me.. I am natural on the Brown = 1 limit.. I can live with 1 a day limit. I do occasionally keep fish from there be it salmon, brown or steelhead.. No atlantics..
    And I keep my limit of legal harvested deer (5) if I can and populations are good. So Yes I do eat game.. More meat then fish esp. big fish..
    If you can eat the meal that you harvested then I have no problems keeping a 3 limit Brown.. Based on just my no meaning observations I don’t see a reduction need .. For reasons of people just wanting more browns , there are plenty around folks if you can catch them..
    I think the cry was stripping browns eggs.. Maybe Maybe not but I find that weak..
    But I’m not managing the system just someone giving my voice..

If you made it through all that now the bare hook bead/tube:
    tough one there ??? Never ever having used a bead as bait before I could care less what the heck you fish with.. MY DAD only used Rapalas f-9 & 11 in rainbow trout, sometimes with a side planer, a Blue Fox Pixie spoon or other assorted (with treble hooks) .. back then march 15th spoons could have trebles and floaters all the time also flies for STEELHEAD.. That’s it !! He did not like messy baits and loved casting ,retrieving and moving for aggressive fish.. He caught plenty..
    So if you have ethics and are really fishing ,,, those types of regs mean nothing,, there should be no need.. it's intent.. Now that don’t mean you cant inadvertently constantly line fish unintentionally but Ethics would take over to change your fishing style.. Take off weight, shorten leader what ever it takes to have the fish "take" the offering..

Third sr change Snagging clarification
    I don’t see how or why it need any more explanation ??

P.S.
    Salmon River - summer fly area weights
    basically asking to take all weight off line including leader from May-1 in fly zones.. Seems folks want a total fly line casting experience through out the summer.. Thats fine with me.. I'm outta there by then and can understand a trout/salmon taking a weight free fly at that time of year.. So those who want that have at it.. Why not ??
    Think that will happen in 32>45 deg water.. Tough if not impossible given the pressure at that time..
    Voice your opinion if you have one..

Salmon River - floating lures /
    Here drift boat guides want bead chains of 1 ½ inches to the hook.. See the point free swinging and if your back trollin and not casting trying to snag then why not ?? Again freakin intent..

Ok I think thats all for SR...

post edited by hot tuna - 2011/06/20 16:40:11
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: any new regs for ny fishing 2011/06/20 21:42:40 (permalink)
          Dont read the books  enough- Have thought the SR tribs had the one trout limit ( browns inc) for years. Dont catchem often  but wouldnt keepem anyhow- welll catch a lot of small ones during late Steel with garden hackle in the tribs but they go back in too.
      No problem with the bare hook under a pinned bead as long as its fishing not snagging being done- dont do that either but  fishins fishin I guess - just kinda goes against my grain though to have a bare hook. Different strokes.
        In regard to the larger Steel- was using a light lined long noodle a lot with sacks upriver late this year with some good results. Some old  Sharks were still around as were the Hos but now and then I hooked fish much larger than the 6 to 10 lb Steel that my rig couldn't  really handle and I tended to break them off on purpose.
       "Will never know if ya got the big droolie if ya breakem off will ya dummy ?" -crossed my tiny little mind on more than one occasion.  How many guys have said "oh poop" nother darned Shark--snap.
      I'm still an old learner with the Fly rod having used bait on it most of my life but have been going to the UFZ now and again for Atlantic and see no difficulty whatsoever rolling a bit upstream and tending to keep the fly down. Slack line happens but maybe I have more to learn. They are already catching them so it works. Been bottom bouncin for so long anything else seems improper.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/06/20 21:51:39
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: any new regs for ny fishing 2011/06/21 15:20:18 (permalink)
    Hey re; when you heading up again? Im up thursday night to sunday and probably 4th of july weekend as well. Id like to throw a little rope at the ufz myself....
    ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: any new regs for ny fishing 2011/06/21 16:04:12 (permalink)
    i just started using a bead this year but i put a spike or a piece of worm on it never tried it with a bare hook yes i do keep my limit of browns i eat them and so does my brother we like the smaller ones 3 to 5lb it is fun to catch the big ones but they dont taste all that good so we let them go (my biggest for the salmon river was a 20lb female caught this november lower section.)
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: any new regs for ny fishing 2011/06/21 16:27:03 (permalink)
    Dime- coming up Sat eve till Mon this weekend but bringing a grandkid- He has the weekend planned with chubs and his 22- like to hookup though one day this summer up there.  Thanks.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: any new regs for ny fishing 2011/06/21 16:50:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ssgt12

i just started using a bead this year but i put a spike or a piece of worm on it never tried it with a bare hook yes i do keep my limit of browns i eat them and so does my brother we like the smaller ones 3 to 5lb it is fun to catch the big ones but they dont taste all that good so we let them go (my biggest for the salmon river was a 20lb female caught this november lower section.)

the bead, bare hook to me as said just comes down to intent.. I don’t care if you are getting fish to bite a Cricket.. If they are taking the thing then what’s the problem..

Browns limit:
    The past 7 maybe 10 years have been the best spawning returns of lake run browns I have seen in a long time.. Yea a year or 2 small returns but over all the Salmon River brown trout fishing has been great to me.. So is a limit reduction need based on returns of lake run fish ? I cant answer that question.. I also know the lake fishing for them has been good .. with that I see lots of cookie cutters out there.. The big boys that make the lake hit the river so the giants are caught more often..

What I tend to notice with limits is the people that fish fewer tend to want higher limits.. (guides being an exception)
    Realistically the more you fish the less you tend to keep. One can only consume so much as fish spoil quickly..
    So to me it does even out. It's what matters to the people recording the returns that matters.. Just to increase the numbers based on C&R fisher folks does not make sense..

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: any new regs for ny fishing 2011/06/21 18:15:06 (permalink)
    I heard one theory about more Browns on the SR maybe being their food has moved/migrated. Either way, I'm a master of Brown Trouts small to giant ay home (giant here being 25-28") but I can't get a fingerling up there. Grrrr.

Lyrical
    jcy110
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: any new regs for ny fishing 2011/07/05 21:48:28 (permalink)
    I have been fishing the bead for 3 years now, its great to hook em on the outside of the lip and not have a chance of seeing the fish inside out when you get it to the shore/boat. I can tell you alot less fish are foul hooked using the bead setup for whatever reason. Once again they try to fix something thats not broken............ I am a C/R guy and am very satisfied with the results. There probably isnt any difference is using the bead with a wet fly or nymph....whatever.........
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: any new regs for ny fishing 2011/07/05 22:03:48 (permalink)
       Agree with Tunas observation bout the more often ya fish the more ya tend to let go. Therefore those of us fortunate enough to be UP a lot could certainly have different views than a lot of guys who paid the same for their tag and only get there one or two times a year.
        We eat fish and game very often at home in CT and like fish ta be fresh too- that's one more reason why I let them go up at the SR- its NOT just about being some kinda 'always turn em loose' purist kinda thingie.
        Back in my one or two trips a year days I kept a LOT.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/07/05 22:05:38
    Jump to: