Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2011/06/13 20:39:28 (permalink)

Ok New Topic > SR

Well this is just for debate and opinion.. I fish many Very Popular rivers,streams,lakes & ponds in my travels..
Please lets just keep it light and civil... Ok Ready ? Here goes..

Salmon River : World Class Fishery Or Toilet Bowl ?
My opinion it "can & should" be a world class fishery (to me) ...
Being I just returned from a world class fishery that gets almost as many people as the sr. You never see any of the trash or disrespect of a fishery as you do on the sr..
Not everyone but believe me over the 30 some years in oswego county, the few (good) are out numbered by the many... WHY ??? And IMO it has nothing to do with what kind of equipment one holds or wears..

So ...

37 Replies Related Threads

metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/13 22:21:14 (permalink)
    The SR??? = BOTH----u just returned from a WC fishery where the fish in the pics fit in ur hand. The ONLY way the SR can b real world class is to give the DEC the support(ie local judges,ect) it needs to clean it up.This will b fought tooth and nail by the local Bizz(most anyway)----still it aint half bad.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    sudsy1000
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/13 23:03:12 (permalink)
    My Iphone takes better video than most dedicated video cameras. The Flip video is also very small and fits in the hand.  Line the banks with plain clothes DEC officers armed with cameras.
    Snagging = $1000.00 fine
    Poaching = $1000.00
    Littering= $2000.00 fine
    Drunkeness, fighting, other disorderly conduct = $2000.00 fine

Guide licenses should be $1000.00 per year

Dedicated salmon river stamp (like Erie Trout stamp) = $25.00 extra over NYS license.

That will help to clean-up the river
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/13 23:06:38 (permalink)
    There was a member here some time ago, when talking about the erie steelhead fishery and its issues, said if you build it, they will come.  How true.

The SR has something most streams don't; quality and quantity which makes it WC and a toilet.   Which one weighs more heavily for an individual is perhaps all in expectations and perception.  

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/14 04:41:02 (permalink)
    The DEC (via its overzealous Steelhead stocking program and thirst for more $$)has turned the SR into an Erie Cookie-Cutter fishery.. I VOTE TOILET BOWL.

Like the Pineville Bridge, the SR's best days are history.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/14 13:21:31 (permalink)
    Tuna--glad you started this thread (troublemaker)
        First - you CANNOT legislate common sense or civility-so we are stuck with the slobs. Yes more can be arrested but it will not stop the problem ( 28 yrs of LE tells me that )
        Second-this fishery was NEVER designed -from what I have seen with well over 30 years on the SR - to be a little used pristine place of peace and contentment. If thats what your after go someplace where ya gotta pack or canoe into. You may well be catching stocked fish there too.
      Third - this fishery is -as I see it- a means of creating a condition along the entire Great Lake system of put and take fishing of a high enough quality so as to create a much needed fiscal boon to local economies. In this regard it has been a great sucuss story on all of the Lakes. Remember BEFORE the put and take there was little anyone fished for anymore in the entire system.
       Fourth- if anybody comes up here thinking they are gonna be alone on the water during the PEAK season they are in for a big surprise when THEY show up and slash and burn the whole place for a few weeks. We all gotta deal with the reality of the condition and make the most of it- a tough job sometimes.
        Fifth- This place is GREAT- my uncle has fished Alaska many times and said the conditions are quite similar in the easy to reach areas. Again its different way off the beaten path but even in Alaska its put and take as most of the Guide leases have private hatcherys even on those far away rivers ya fly into. The most important observation he makes is that the quality of fish here is equal, at the least, to Alaska.
        Sixth -  With the QUALITY of fish here being outstanding and becoming year round we now enjoy opportunities to fish alone on the river well beyond Shark season.. This is much to the credit of those folks at the Hatchery who are working like crazy to supply new and increased availability of a great variety of wonderful fishes.
         Seventh-and last-One can grow weary of those who bemoan the 'out of staters' who more or less get in the way of nice fishing conditions. Also those who fight and argue over thier personal preferences of  fishing style demeaning all others as some kinda 'dont belong' people. Also the continued acces isues along the river by folks who have grown 'tired' of fishermen even though they have likely provided a portion of the fiscal enjoyment those same people now enjoy, leading to VERY congested fishing in many areas. This infighting can be dangerous and lead to further "issues' not in our ultimate favor. WHO do they think is paying the bills?
        Yea guys it aint grandpas Native stream out by the pasture but its the best thing we got as close as it is for most of us. This is an everymans Alaska and it is hard if not impossible to beat in the lower 48. Ya just gotta know what your in for at certain times of the year and bear it.
        Nooooo- I did not drink the Kool Aid that certainly being offered - these are observations from somebody who loves to fish and has done so in many places and just knows a good thing when he sees it. Enough to have bought a place up there and spend a great deal of time there too. Like the place , the fishing and the folks.
        My personal wish as a way to improve conditions without throwing any stones is to STOP selling this as a place to fill your trunk with big fish. Sell it as a quality system where -if lucky and/or skilled enough- you may catch the fish of a lifetime. Unfortunately its those making the most direct cash on the system who perpetuate this fill the trunk philosophy which I believe leads to many of the "issues' we face.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/06/14 15:33:17
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/14 13:29:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

my uncle has fished Alaska many times and said the conditions are quite similar

especially since the onslaught of the bead-craze....
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/14 19:17:44 (permalink)
    It is a sad sad commentary that a newcomer like myself has to reserve the largest pocket in my vest to carrying out other people's trash.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/14 21:06:04 (permalink)
    Agree Pete- always say a hundred Hunters can go to a place and ya dont even know they were there- Put in a dozen or two fishermen and-trash city--slobs.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/14 23:44:58 (permalink)
    Enforce $1000 snagging fines and make a effort to educate people to the fact that Salmon will HIT a properly presented fly/lure/bait would go a long way to make the SR and all tribs world class.
    Littering is a problem that is every where,look at the junk along our highways.A deposit on all cans,bottles (glass or plastic) would help,but you still have all those coffee cups that slobs drop when they are empty.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/15 07:00:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: draketrutta

The DEC (via its overzealous Steelhead stocking program and thirst for more $$)has turned the SR into an Erie Cookie-Cutter fishery.. I VOTE TOILET BOWL.

Fairly certain the stocking levels have remained pretty much the same due to capacity at the Hatchery. Seems that more are surviving(for whatever reason) though.Late 80's, early 90's there was BOTH #'s AND size.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/15 09:46:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: metalslayer

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

Fairly certain the stocking levels have remained pretty much the same due to capacity at the Hatchery. Seems that more are surviving(for whatever reason) though.Late 80's, early 90's there was BOTH #'s AND size.

All I know is that a SR fisherperson has a better chance of winning the Powerball -vs-
    catching a coveted 20lber.

A few short years ago, you stood a half-arsed chance.

Now it's 6-10lb cookies for the most part.

Yeah - you are probably right about the stocking,

the nitwits that lobbied for a 1 fish limit in the tribs

(thinking they are saving a pristine example of Nature in Virgin Mother Earth Country
    -vs- a NYS Pellet-head Stocked in a Man-Made Cash Register Suburban Tailwater)

are more to blame....

p.s. - scratch the pellet-head reference...
    make that bead-head...

so easy a caveman can do it
    post edited by draketrutta - 2011/06/15 09:48:23
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/15 11:16:18 (permalink)
    I agree with DT on that last statement.

Ya got easy access right off the highway, shops, fast food, parking everywhere & big stockies. Recipe for disaster.

Lyrical
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/15 13:48:15 (permalink)
         I remember back when there were lots of Steel AND some were quite big. Then they seemed to crash and then start to come back only to seem to crash again. ( that over a period of several decades). They are certainly on the rebound now. Those comeback eras always held more small fish obviously as the stock was on the rebound.
       Makes me wonder if there is some kind of climate or water level 'tipping point' where as they reach a certain number the Natural spawn really kicks in and the return numbers increase dramatically a year or two later, as the 'natural' kind of makes up for normal predation and loss of stocked numbers.
      It would probably take another year or two after that for Steel of considerable size to reappear in any regular numbers.
      If thats correct ( anyones guess) those 6 to 8 pounders will be returning much larger and there will be new 6 to 8ts. Ontario is pretty big and there seems to be no reason whatsoever that would make the fish stop growing out there unless the bait resources prohibit normal feeding as I recall happened a number of years ago after the big drought.
       Back then some marinas couldnt even get boats out to the lake and a lot of baitfish spawn areas were high and dry.That led to some lean fish years.
    If this is correct I would hope to be around long enough to experience the Atlantic numbers when they reach that "point' they are already increasing slowly.  
       BTW- just looked over the Whitakers photos and some of those Steel from 2011 were pretty respectable. Maybee not 20 yet, but pretty respectable.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/06/15 16:09:03
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/15 15:22:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pafisher

Enforce $1000 snagging fines and make a effort to educate people to the fact that Salmon will HIT a properly presented fly/lure/bait would go a long way to make the SR and all tribs world class.
    Littering is a problem that is every where,look at the junk along our highways.A deposit on all cans,bottles (glass or plastic) would help,but you still have all those coffee cups that slobs drop when they are empty.

With the littering, make the perps do community service along with paying fines. They can wear neon orange striped jump suits that say litterbug on the back. Make them go around to public access points and police the areas. Humiliate them a bit... Post their pictures of them cleaning up in their HOMETOWN newspaper.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/15 16:33:29 (permalink)
    I just joined, have lurked for awhile. I fished  mid-Nov. to April 1 and had a blast this year using deadstick nymphing. I've fished for decades  in many blue ribbon places and have caught wild steel. I had some mid-week days where the only thing that seemed to be missing were the bears. Even when there were people around, I made friends, had my lunch bought for me a couple of times, netted some big fish for guys NOT flyfishing, laughed til I nearly fell in  and my wife filled a backpack with garbage almost everytime we went without a fresh snow.  I guess because I have expensive equipment and flyfish I'm already considered an a-hole, but like I said we had a blast. I had some great conversations with people using every technique on the river. I fished salmon 25 years ago and decided it was a toilet. I guess maybe age does bring some wisdom, even to jerks with fly rods.    World Class for me.

Charlie

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/15 18:16:47 (permalink)
    Welcome Charlie-
      I have cheap equipment and have also been called one of those holes- starting to believe it myself.
      Nice to have ya here.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/15 19:32:20 (permalink)
    hey thanks to all for making this topic informational.. Like I said it don’t matter what one wears or uses that makes a person a better sportsman.. To me it's (yes I’ll use that word) Ethics !! Some have them some never will..
    What puts it in the Toilet for me is that you can lead a Horse to Water but You cant make him drink..
    so much good education has been put forth , be it good folks on the river sharing their knowledge, the dec , the tons seminars at the hatchery and yes even the internet.. But still The Garbage piles up, the illegal activity continues and the disrespect to other anglers..

Now Money was brought up.. Makes no difference and really I think it makes it worse.. Just think about someone who because they had to pay higher fees for licenses, guides included, or pay to fish an area.. Many times that is where they feel they are owed something in return , by any means.. It happens... Even in the DSR , even with the people working there turning a blind eye.. Been there for a long time so don't say it don't..

The Point made I like and lobbied for is higher fines .. Sudsy : you are a bit steep but pretty much in the ballpark..

Slayer:
    Yes they have increased the steelhead numbers stocked over the years..

Pa:
    like said above education has been done almost to exhaustion.. Dec even had a video one could obtain for free..

RT:
    You definitely have the right attitude..

Sorry folks I'd like to contribute more but I'm deep into sheetrock and joint compound and the wife says dinner is done..

I'll Be Back !!
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/15 21:24:02 (permalink)
    Well; I've been holding off on posting because I've wanted to post pictures of my recent trip to the region and also now this semi-political topic our friend tuna has brought up; I have resulted to digging through pictures that date back to over 20 years ago. Unfortunately time is hard to come by ands scanning old photos to post on the forum seems to not fall in my schedule. I think one can learn much about politics, and economics from the history of the salmon river. Just think; at one time it was one of the most abundant stocks of wild atlantic salmon that fell victim to logging and development/ industrial.... I will refrain from trying to prove my thoughts or theories on the salmon river; but will atleast include that I think it is a magnificent place yo enjoy WORLD CLASS FISHING. I will eventually find the time to pick some old pictures to throw up on the board. Maybe everyone who makes a mark on this board should take a moment to flip through some of those old memory books and post up some memorable shots of magnificent fish they've caught from the eastern lake ontario region. I bet there's some good ones out there. Remember a picture is worth a thousand words; also, always remeber; not only in angling; but also in life in general; positivity is contagious. If everybody just complains about something; it will never get better...
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/15 21:31:49 (permalink)
    First I would like to welcome Charlie to the forum.
    Tuna,I have never seen anything from the DEC about ethical Salmon fishing.They have all the rules,weight 4' from hook,etc. but nothing about how to or they will hit if you FISH for them.Most people are there and gone and don't hear or see any notices on education.
    First a $1000 fine enforced and made known that it will be enforced will get the attention of many.The DEC should have literature that is handed out when a license is purchased,there are many that will at least look at it and consider changing their ways.
    I have had first hand experience in bringing some people over from the dark side.I have approached and been approached by people that wanted to know what they are doing wrong and showed them some ideas that soon had them feeling the take and setting the hook.The smiles and thanks were very rewarding.I find that many want to catch these great game fish ethically,they just don't know the proper way to present their offering.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/15 22:58:31 (permalink)
    Ditto dime--on the Great fishery-
      One thing that always worked when I did L/E undercover drug stuff for 15 years of my career. Undercover being the key word---
      When ya dont know if the guy next to you is fishing or watching YOU it changes your entire way of thinking.
      Do it - advertise it- and pinch some-and tell folks ya did so in big letters- dont need to pinch as many as ya think to have an impact- never won the drug wars and wont win the trash wars either but just nipping it to "socially acceptable levels" would be a major improvement over what we have now.
    America long ago adopted the Pool method of L/E- he was a guy from England who believed L/E was to do the 'socially accepted level' thing as opposed to complete control -That was the guy from Germanys thing.
      Hey - have a novel thought POST it in big letters on a big sign at ALL parking areas - but this time put in a few trash barrels and empty them now and then.
        All sides gotta be involved here the trashers and the anti trashers- L/E and municipal trash guys. Doesnt take rocket science to figure out all ya gotta do is follow somebody carrying in a styrafoam cup  or cooler fulla beer to likely get a littering pinch. Or even just drive into a lot and sit in the u/c vehicle and watch a while.
        Not talking bout flipping a cigarette butt or going to the bathroom outdoors -talking bout intentional littering and disrespect with all those very noticable paper goods and cans. Not that those others are insignificant but make it so that nobody can object to  very direct  l/e actions and get respect of all for cleaning the place up in a realistic non nitpicking manner.
    Example -ya get more respect pinching somebody on the Highway for 76 than ya would for 66. Clearcut, obvious and reasonable.
    I'd much rather be stuck next to a guy lifting a bit than somebody throwing his containers all over the place. At least the lifters  gonna go away but plastic is forever.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/06/15 23:22:58
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/16 05:21:39 (permalink)
    RT - as far as littering goes - flippin a cig butt is unacceptable behavior. I'm a smoker, not much effort involved to flip off the ash and put the butts in a pocket.

Garbage cans in parking lots...yeah,yeah I know all the excuses from the past - peoples toss fish carcusses in them, yada,yada.
    People don't use them. (They will never use them if they are not there!!)

I think it is shameful that Pulaski/Altmar/DEC contingent cannot stage trash cans in every parking lot and have them emptied on a regular basis - whether it be a municipal service, a retired guy with a pickup truck, or god forbid - DEC themselves.
    (The excuse of no-fundage is unacceptable - we are talking peanuts).

As far as your socially-acceptable level -vs- Komplete Kontrol by Big Brother/LE - the way I see it - I think I better brush up on my German language skills (as soon as I re-locate my stash buried in PVC pipes)..

later

ps - welcome aboard Charlie!!
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/16 07:56:55 (permalink)
    Having had many conversations with people on this, I know many river regulars would be willing to pay an added license fee of 10-20 $ to aid in enforcement and clean-up. Reading this thread gives me hope that something will happen. I spent alot of years fishing a trophy brown tailwater in  Tenn. called the South Holston. Lots of trash and poaching, meth heads doing break -ins etc...   Finally, the internet and the opening of a very visible flyshop  brought some crowds to the river and people spoke up and things CHANGED.  Enforcement was the key. With the budget crisis, things may get worse not better.  I started fishing this year right after LOTAC had a river clean-up that I didn't find out about until later. My first impression, after having stayed away for a couple of decades, got me to come back AND SPEND MONEY on a regular basis. My wife and I regularly pick trash up. The SR reminds me of some of the Atlantic Salmon  rivers in Nova Scotia and the Gaspe. It's no wonder it had such great runs long ago.  It has the gradient, the mix of runs and pools, and a rich bio-mass. It really deserves to be treated as a treasure, not a toilet. I'm not a snob, either. I bang nails for a living. The SR gives alot of guys like me who can't afford to pay guides and lodges and lotterys and huge license fees shots at amazing fish. I'm freakin' extremely grateful!  Thanks for the welcome. I'm learning alot.

Charlie
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/16 10:30:14 (permalink)
       Unfortunately here in the US we always want to make all pay for the bad actions of the few.  Actually all that does is make the slobs feel more justified cause they have now PAID to litter. Make THEM pay the bills.
      L/E in this condition is not a great expensive proposition depending on how its done. YES we all would like to see big fines cause we would like great impact and immediate recognition of the issue however a local constable can issue tickets for local ordinance if nothing else.
      Here in Ct a local ordinance may only be for a minimal amount of dollars on the ticket however failure to pay leads to a criminal arrest warrant. Imagine a guy with a $25 to $50 ticket coming up the next year and having to be arrested and suffer loss of liscense as well as the "old fine'.
      Ya gotta remember the Local ordinance is a different animal than the State arrest. The State thing gives nothing back to the town and can be very large- but it goes to the state. If the Towns get immediate dollars here -even though smaller numbers- they are far more likely to get involved quicker.             Betcha they already have the ordinances made up and enforceable and simply arent doing big enforcement.
    The local constable can be anybody qualified in the area ( jobs) and he is unlikely to have to go to other calls and responses while assigned to litterbug duty.
    In a condition like we have now on S/R the town output for the constable would be quickly reimbursed with the rapid mail ins of many such fines. Lets face it the majority of 'the issue' is during shark season. Id bet a dedicated guy could easily make 8 to 10 tickets a day then- remember hes gotta catch them write them up and probably keep and tag some evidence along with some kind of quick report, then move on to the next-can take more time than you initially think.
       I like the idea of a mandatory notice of the action being handed out at each lisense station as well and would like to have ALL the local shops and eateries and hotels also have to post it right by the door
       Education comes  right to the forefront here.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/06/16 10:36:09
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/16 13:51:57 (permalink)
    Here's my question... if budget is an issue... why did the state purchase the portly angler and bring more dec trucks and personnel in to the picture. There's no reason why things shouldn't be able to be policed more along the river. Especially if there is a tributaries stamp implementedfor a fee. Hey charlie; id say most around here don't frown upon gear or methods. For the rest of the river; i'll take the fifth. I do my own thing and find my own way. I try not to get bothered and also help others when they seem deserving along the river...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/16 14:14:51 (permalink)
      Still dont like the extra fee thing in an effort to get somebody to enforce existing laws. Just does NOT set right with me.
       Not being cheap here -spend a ton up there not to mention a 6oo mile round trip every other week.
      Cant figure extra for tribs either- Imajine that catching on all over the whole state. For deer too, hey how bout a deer and turkey fee for each SF. That still does not entice an effort to get the job done that we are talking bout here -just fattens accounts.
       Nope -experience over a whole life of l/e and politics says the squeaky wheel gets the grease- Letters to the State and calls to reps gets them to direct l/e efforts to where the complaints are. that goes for the barrels and collections at lots too. Constant complaints equal positive action.
       The laws-personel and equipment are already in place its just the direction of the effort that needs tweaking.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/16 15:53:02 (permalink)
    Ok I have a very few mins. before I dive back into the joint compound..

After snagging was banned in 1995 the DEC put out an informational video that was free.. Very few ppl took advantage of that so it was discontinued about 5 years later.. As well as the many seminars held at the hatchery and DSR each year the DEC participates.. Do you ?
    The rules and what is considered snagging, lifting and snatching are very clear in the regulations.. Not many ppl even read the regs.. So I don’t know how much more they (DEC) can do to educate ppl..

Trash:
    Berkeley used to sponsor trash barrels for used line and were set up at almost all parking locations.. Yup your right ppl would throe fish in them... DISRESPECT !!!

Undercover:
    They are out there but very few.. and quite honestly not trying to bash the DEC , get paid if they write a ticket or not.. You make that call which is easier..

WORLD CLASS :
    as said it could be.. but it's NOT...

Involvement:
    I have been involved in LOSA, and attended many seminars, State of the Lake meetings, Conservation meetings in Albany, sent many letters.. I do NOT agree with LOTAC...
    What have others done.. I seen very few ppl at most..

Pictures:
    as you all know I have put up many,many,many from the Ontario tribs and have no problem putting up hundreds more.. .. Many have put up few.. But that’s just me because I fish A LOT get a lots of requests for them and I like seeing pictures .. No biggie..

Have fun , I’m heading back to the rock for now...

P.S.
    have no idea how this is borderline political but what ever..
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/17 10:52:41 (permalink)
    Hey Tuna--

Get right down to it its ALL political ( I'm a politician) Direction of fund expenditures goes to whatever or wherever is deemed to be both necessary and needed - in the best public interest. Funding equals manpower and manpower is given its marching orders even without 'extra money' -a simple redirection of effort.
    Seatbelt enforcement on the Throughway is an example-I have had numerous Troopers in unmarked pull up next to me and look over a bit- looking at my belt-they advertise it and enforce it regularly. That never used to happen. Just what we are after.
    It is commonplace for public groups to lobby politely and be quite surprised at the positive response their issue gets. Politics however has to be aware of the issue itself and the desire of many for that redirection. Remember whatever they do now beyond their manpower basics also has a following.
      Selective enforcement efforts are most always in direct response to a public outcry on any particular violation.
       BTW-nasty letters and calls get you nowhere-just ruffle feathers. Also the dollar amount of a fine along with the potential jail time is determined by the 'kind of crime it is - In Ct its misdomeaner or Felony. Those big thousand or two ideas may have merit but will probably not fit the classification of that act and just make a difficult thing more involved. Keep it simple and things will get done.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/06/17 12:54:36
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/17 13:51:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Hey Tuna--

Get right down to it its ALL political ( I'm a politician) Direction of fund expenditures goes to whatever or wherever is deemed to be both necessary and needed - in the best public interest. Funding equals manpower and manpower is given its marching orders even without 'extra money' -a simple redirection of effort.
    Seatbelt enforcement on the Throughway is an example-I have had numerous Troopers in unmarked pull up next to me and look over a bit- looking at my belt-they advertise it and enforce it regularly. That never used to happen. Just what we are after.
    It is commonplace for public groups to lobby politely and be quite surprised at the positive response their issue gets. Politics however has to be aware of the issue itself and the desire of many for that redirection. Remember whatever they do now beyond their manpower basics also has a following.
    Selective enforcement efforts are most always in direct response to a public outcry on any particular violation.
      BTW-nasty letters and calls get you nowhere-just ruffle feathers. Also the dollar amount of a fine along with the potential jail time is determined by the 'kind of crime it is - In Ct its misdomeaner or Felony. Those big thousand or two ideas may have merit but will probably not fit the classification of that act and just make a difficult thing more involved. Keep it simple and things will get done.

RT:
    I rarely offer sympathy to the NYDEC. But I think they are behind the 8ball due to the fact that their revenues are sucked up into the black hole also known as Albany's General Fund - and are forced to get by from whatever crumbs are tossed their way.

Meanwhile, the politicos spend the money like drunken sailors on other nonsensical big-brother BS - like seat belt laws for adults. (me thinks them CT troopers should be doing better things like catching real crooks - or at least sit in a Dunkin Donuts parking lot - instead of burning gas in the AC's cruisers lookin for seat belt violators.

p.s. - you forgot to mention that the average Politician will jump on any special-interest bandwagon - as long as it helps them get re-elected.

p.s.s. - gotta admit, some of that campaign stumpin talk you typed sounded pretty good - and I bet you typed it without the aid of a teleprompter.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ok New Topic > SR 2011/06/17 14:14:17 (permalink)
    DRAKE DRAKE DRAKE
    No teleprompter- I have a guy who tells me everything to say or do.
    The Throughway I spoke of is in NY. Even had a Trooper hiding behind the Toll guy looking for belts once. His car was parked overy by the building out of sight.
    Thats 'selective enforcement".
    Even with all the money woes there will always be a way to do Selective stuff for exactly the reason you stated, constituant happiness at the voting booth has merit. It should too - who are politicos there to serve in the first place. Just gotta make the condition rise to the top in a nice way.
        Year and a half to go on this term - last -gotta make more fishin time.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/06/17 18:34:53
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: