Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/31 17:17:39 (permalink)

Just a reminder

GAME   LANDS  Habitat &  DEER MANAGEMENT   TOUR

Saturday – June 4th, 2011 – 1:00 PM
Elk County State Game Lands # 44

This will be a tour of habitat work and various projects that profile deer management issues in the state and the local areas
and also
small game habitat improvements on the new parcels of SGL# 044.

The tour is free and open to the public .

Wear clothing and boots suitable for short walks in the woods and fields. Jackets or rain gear may be needed dependent upon the weather conditions.

High clearance vehicles are preferred, though four-wheel drive is not needed, as you use your vehicle to travel to various locations on the game lands.

The tour starts at 1:00 PM at the Old CCC Camps in Carmen, site of the present day Game Commission Food & Cover Crew Headquarters, located on Game Commission Road.

Take Route 949 South out of Ridgway for approx. 8 miles – just prior to the twin bridges that cross over the railroad tracks and Toby Creek turn left onto Game Commission Road. This is approx. 1 mile north of Portland Mills  on Rt. 949.

It is coming up this weekend. Is anyone from this site coming?
 R.S. Bodenhorn

23 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/05/31 17:30:38 (permalink)
    Hope you get a good turnout as usual.  The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend.  One of these days I am going to have to make the trip up north to check this out.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

My rifle is a black rifle
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/05/31 17:31:54 (permalink)
    Not sure yet. Are there any other tours other than on game lands #44 as mentioned schudeled for this year?
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/05/31 17:54:45 (permalink)
    Hope you get a good turnout as usual.

I have little doubt that the usual handful will be in attendance.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/05/31 18:23:41 (permalink)
    Should have done a tour down here. Rode by gamelands 223 the other day. No fields cut for 'hog hunters. Not one path cut to any of the several ponds for fishermen, that will eventually be cut at some point.. Yet there was ONE thing cut and maintained... a nice wide spotless trail cut to the birdwatching pavillion eyesore.

I generally dont have a problem with work done by the habitat crews etc. I just thought it was kinda funny how closely the situation mirrored upper pgcs real priorities.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/05/31 18:26:28
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/05/31 19:53:38 (permalink)
    You know you could always volunteer your time to make things better instead of whining on the internet about it
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/05/31 20:54:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Not sure yet. Are there any other tours other than on game lands #44 as mentioned schudeled for this year?

I’m not sure if there are any tours for your area since I don’t know where you are located. I know there is a good tour near Raystown on June 11th if that is closer for you.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/05/31 21:07:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wayne c

Should have done a tour down here. Rode by gamelands 223 the other day. No fields cut for 'hog hunters. Not one path cut to any of the several ponds for fishermen, that will eventually be cut at some point.. Yet there was ONE thing cut and maintained... a nice wide spotless trail cut to the birdwatching pavillion eyesore.

I generally dont have a problem with work done by the habitat crews etc. I just thought it was kinda funny how closely the situation mirrored upper pgcs real priorities.

Since the Game Commission manages for the benefit of wildlife instead of JUST hunter desires the food plots don’t generally get mowed, by policy, until after July 15 and the majority of the wildlife nesting season has ended.

There are some exceptions for small plots in wooded habitat and where just one small strip from a larger area is to be mowed to benefit rabbits, or where it is maintained in walkways or lawn around visitor centers and buildings.

One of the primary reasons for declining pheasant populations is early mowing that destroys not only the nest but also kills the hens. Guys mowing now, mostly farmers, are also killing a pretty high number of fawn deer. Over the next couple weeks a lot of young turkey, fawns, rabbits and groundhogs will be killed with mowing machines. Some of the most modern farm equipment is also some of the most deadly on young wildlife and occasionally even on adult hens.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/05/31 22:01:22 (permalink)

I'm not sticking up for whoever is supposed to cut whatever this year there but I can tell you a major farm operation in my area is behind more than I've ever seen.   The grass mixed with alfalfa is well over 2 feet high and it rarely gets above 1 foot.  Many places where corn is typically planted, the grass isn't even cut yet to begin planting.  They typically spread cow poop in all areas but two fields and this year, the spreading was minimal to non-existent.

Could it be the rain has slowed my area's farmer's progress ?   Does rain speed up the growing, be it grass, plants, or whatever ?  Or perhaps, it is it just one of those darned conspiracies.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/05/31 23:50:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SilverKype

I'm not sticking up for whoever is supposed to cut whatever this year there but I can tell you a major farm operation in my area is behind more than I've ever seen.   The grass mixed with alfalfa is well over 2 feet high and it rarely gets above 1 foot.  Many places where corn is typically planted, the grass isn't even cut yet to begin planting.  They typically spread cow poop in all areas but two fields and this year, the spreading was minimal to non-existent.

Could it be the rain has slowed my area's farmer's progress ?   Does rain speed up the growing, be it grass, plants, or whatever ?  Or perhaps, it is it just one of those darned conspiracies.

Jon,
    Common sense has no place in the hunting forums, stop trying to use it here. It's definitley a conspiracy, just like everything the PGC does. Duh.

The Game Commission is obviously being controlled by the Audubon Society. Why else would they have a trail cut to bird watching pavillion? There's obviously no other explanation.

On another note, I saw a mountain lion today. I think the PGC stocked it to eliminate the deer herd. I bet it had a tag in it's ear that said PGC/Audubon on it.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/06/01 00:22:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RSB

ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Not sure yet. Are there any other tours other than on game lands #44 as mentioned scheduled for this year?

I’m not sure if there are any tours for your area since I don’t know where you are located. I know there is a good tour near Raystown on June 11th if that is closer for you.

R.S. Bodenhorn

I would be interested in seeing tours in State Game Lands from the NY border (NW) south to WV border (SE). I do not know of any. Are any scheduled for that area in western PA say over to Mckean and south, east of Pittsburgh to the WV border ?
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/06/01 08:55:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Jon,
    Common sense has no place in the hunting forums, stop trying to use it here. It's definitley a conspiracy, just like everything the PGC does. Duh.

The Game Commission is obviously being controlled by the Audubon Society. Why else would they have a trail cut to bird watching pavillion? There's obviously no other explanation.

On another note, I saw a mountain lion today. I think the PGC stocked it to eliminate the deer herd. I bet it had a tag in it's ear that said PGC/Audubon on it.

My neighbor planted rye in an area.  He was getting junk grass in his Timothy last fall, so he killed the field, disced it under a couple of times and planted the rye followed by grade A Timothy.  The idea was to have the rye emerge first this spring, cut it in the milk stage and letit cover the sprouting Timothy as both a cover from birds and rotting matter for fertilizer.  With the amount of rain this spring, the rye is now higher than my head and walking through it is like walking through a rice paddy, water squishes at every step.  There is no way he is going to get that cut before July at the earliest.

His other fields, which are typically very nice clover, have been over run with other grass species, that are perhaps more water tolerant, and those have gone to seed this week.

So, the answer is everything is behind or can't be cut due to the softness of the ground, at least in our area.  The number of small bunnies is just crazy.

And that was no mountain lion you saw, it was the Nittany Lion heading to the "Going Out of Business" sale at Tressel's Tattoo and Pawn Shop.  Gheez, no wonder you think suckers are brown trout.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/06/01 13:28:47 (permalink)
    You know you could always volunteer your time to make things better instead of whining on the internet about it

We dont have enough and large enough gamelands in this area to make the effort worthwhile. Besides as i said, i dont really have a big problem with the habitat crews work anyway.

"One of the primary reasons for declining pheasant populations is early mowing that destroys not only the nest but also kills the hens. Guys mowing now, mostly farmers, are also killing a pretty high number of fawn deer. Over the next couple weeks a lot of young turkey, fawns, rabbits and groundhogs will be killed with mowing machines. Some of the most modern farm equipment is also some of the most deadly on young wildlife and occasionally even on adult hens."

Good points rsb. As were the one by Silver about the rain. Yeah we've been pounded until fairly recent. Thing is, i didnt Just say about the fields i said the other paths going to the ponds etc. where many fish. BUT it wasnt too wet to cut the path to the birdwatching pavillion....oh no sirree! The number one first cutting job of the summer completed. lol

No conspiracy theory. I just found it funny. I think it only by chance that the impression of it all mirrored so closely upper staff at pgc. I also stated my disclaimer that i had no problem with the work done by habitat crews. (or work done by wcos, etc. for that matter)
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/06/01 15:49:29 (permalink)
    Question : Are the work crews actual employees of the PGC or are they contracted by the PGC ?
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/06/06 17:03:28 (permalink)
    Still waiting RSB for an answer to my question posted on 6/1 and also can you give us a number on the amount of people that attended the tour that were not in connection with the PGC ? Hope you had a big turnout as it could only promote the sport I guess.
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/06/06 19:34:51 (permalink)
    First the answer to your question. The Food and Cover Crews are Game Commission employees. There are some land management and habitat work that are sub-contract jobs when it is something where the Game Commission doesn’t have the equipment, manpower or other resources to get the job done as well or in as timely a manner as a contractor could. There are also contract cases where some plantings are done as part of a cost sharing grant, such as large warn season grass applications where the Game Commission doesn’t have the spraying and planting permits or equipment required.

Sometimes habitat partners simply pick up the cost, equipment and labor ball when the Game Commission resources simply aren’t there to get all of the habitat work done when it should be. A good example of that is with all of the wet weather this spring the Elk County Food and Cover Crew fell behind in preparing the ground for planting so the local Pheasants Forever Chapter stepped up with a tractor, fertilizer, grain drill and a couple volunteers to get about 25 acres planted in row crops over the past week and into this week. Pheasants Forever might also put a tractor and volunteer in operation when it comes time to get all the cool season grass mowing done on that tract this summer since the local Food and Cover Crew is going to be down yet another member this summer with one of the crew retiring.

As for the recent tour it was pretty much a bust. For the first time we didn’t get a reasonable turn out and only had one man show up. That might have been at least partly due to a series of severe thunder storms rolling through the area during the early afternoon when the tour was scheduled to get started, and it sure did pour rain for the start of the tour schedule. It might be that we have just got the message to all that have any interest in learning about the habitat relationships or it could be that it just wasn’t a good day for people to work it into their schedules. I also suspect the price of gas has a bearing on it since one man told me he wanted to come but couldn’t find the gas money following several trips to the mountains during gobbler season. In any event, what ever the reason for the pure turn out we did an abbreviated tour, answered questions and simply made a short tour of it for the one guy that did show up.
     R.S. Bodenhorn
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/06/06 21:03:53 (permalink)
    I think maybe having it the week-end after Memorial Day may have been the trouble.. considering the price of gas...

The store was busy as heck Memorial Day week-end and I don't think anyone came up to their camps this past week-end because of it... we were DEAD !!!
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/06/06 21:04:21
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/06/07 00:04:38 (permalink)

First the answer to your question. The Food and Cover Crews are Game Commission employees. There are some land management and habitat work that are sub-contract jobs when it is something where the Game Commission doesn’t have the equipment, manpower or other resources to get the job done as well or in as timely a manner as a contractor could. There are also contract cases where some plantings are done as part of a cost sharing grant, such as large warn season grass applications where the Game Commission doesn’t have the spraying and planting permits or equipment required.

Sometimes habitat partners simply pick up the cost, equipment and labor ball when the Game Commission resources simply aren’t there to get all of the habitat work done when it should be. A good example of that is with all of the wet weather this spring the Elk County Food and Cover Crew fell behind in preparing the ground for planting so the local Pheasants Forever Chapter stepped up with a tractor, fertilizer, grain drill and a couple volunteers to get about 25 acres planted in row crops over the past week and into this week. Pheasants Forever might also put a tractor and volunteer in operation when it comes time to get all the cool season grass mowing done on that tract this summer since the local Food and Cover Crew is going to be down yet another member this summer with one of the crew retiring.

As for the recent tour it was pretty much a bust. For the first time we didn’t get a reasonable turn out and only had one man show up. That might have been at least partly due to a series of severe thunder storms rolling through the area during the early afternoon when the tour was scheduled to get started, and it sure did pour rain for the start of the tour schedule. It might be that we have just got the message to all that have any interest in learning about the habitat relationships or it could be that it just wasn’t a good day for people to work it into their schedules. I also suspect the price of gas has a bearing on it since one man told me he wanted to come but couldn’t find the gas money following several trips to the mountains during gobbler season. In any event, what ever the reason for the pure turn out we did an abbreviated tour, answered questions and simply made a short tour of it for the one guy that did show up.
     R.S. Bodenhorn

Thanks for answering my question. Always eager to learn.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/06/07 00:14:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

I think maybe having it the week-end after Memorial Day may have been the trouble.. considering the price of gas...

The store was busy as heck Memorial Day week-end and I don't think anyone came up to their camps this past week-end because of it... we were DEAD !!!

I traveled through Warren,Crawford,Forest,and Venango Counties and saw many guys at camp. Not as many as a holiday weekend but a fair amount. We left money behind in all 4 counties between the outdoors shops to groceries stores. Also saw that the PGC has finally broke ground on the new regional office in Franklin.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/06/08 11:13:03 (permalink)

R.S. Bodenhorn

Sorry that the tour didn't work out.  You probably put a lot of time and preparation into it and it sucks that the weather didn't cooperate.  It would have been nice to have a huge turnout.  Hopefully the next time.

My wife and I did a tour of Middle Creek a few years ago and it was educational and fun.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1271
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/06/09 20:16:55 (permalink)
    While I have no doubt that the tour would be quite interesting and informative, I'd be willing to bet that it didn't explain why reducing the herd by 50% in 2G didn't result in a significant improvement in regeneration. I would also be willing to bet that the tour did not explain why the regeneration rates in the AWRs were lower than the regeneration rates for 2G in the PGC 2011 Antlerless Allocation Worksheets.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/06/09 21:48:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: deerfly

While I have no doubt that the tour would be quite interesting and informative, I'd be willing to bet that it didn't explain why reducing the herd by 50% in 2G didn't result in a significant improvement in regeneration. I would also be willing to bet that the tour did not explain why the regeneration rates in the AWRs were lower than the regeneration rates for 2G in the PGC 2011 Antlerless Allocation Worksheets.

Deerfly,
    Don't start. 

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/06/10 00:35:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ironhed

ORIGINAL: deerfly

Deerfly,
    Don't start. 

Ironhed

Kinda makes sence to me. Is this something that is explained on one of these tours? I never been on a guided gamelands tour just on my own and we'll leave it at that. Most guided tours I have been on they were trying to sell me something.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just a reminder 2011/06/10 18:09:47 (permalink)
    Most guided tours I have been on they were trying to sell me something.

And these are no different.
    Jump to: