Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/31 15:41:18 (permalink)

Hunting 7 days

Hunting 7 days will only give to the sport of hunting in Pa. I can't see any issues that would take anything from Pa hunter's hunting 7 days.If a land owner wants to post his place so be it. Just go somewhere else. Adding some extra days could only promote the sport for our younger hunters and adults also. While many are selfish and don't NEED that extra day they will continue to condemn it. I can hunt any time of the day I choose and as of now 6 days a week, some species 7 days a week. Hunting the 7th day really doesn't matter one or the other to me but I'm in favor of the 7th day simply for other to have the opportunity to hunt. It will give many opportunity to get out and enjoy the sport of hunting as so many others participating in sports 7 days a week.I will continue to encourage our lawmakers and game agencies to support huntings 7 days a week.

70 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/05/31 16:15:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures
    I will continue to encourage our lawmakers and game agencies to support huntings 7 days a week.

As will I.  I am content if at least our game agency hold the keys. 

As with most changes, the boogeyman is always a player.  There will be some negative reactions but the benefits of game agencies regulating hunting seven days of the week far outwiegh any negatives, IMO. 

post edited by dpms - 2011/05/31 16:18:26

My rifle is a black rifle
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/05/31 17:43:16 (permalink)
    It would be nice to have sunday hunting with no worries.
    It would also be nice to have an agency in place that we could trust and werent a bunch of environmentalist nuts that cared about "hunting" as more than simply a way to achieve their obtuse agendas.

Sorry, as nice as it would be to be able to responsibly have sunday hunting, I dont support giving the IR-responsible gameless commission even more means to slaughter our deer herd. Theyve already proven that they cannot be trusted with 6 of the 7 days of the week as is and have managed to royally scroo things up. They are looking for any and every way to kill more deer and this would be welcomed with open arms by the econuts.

I believe Sunday hunting should have been legalized years ago, and most definately would have supported it in "better" less politically deviant times. And i am "for it" generally speaking. But this certainly isnt good timing or "normal" circumstances these days imho. Too much change the last decade as it is, and alot of it hasnt been for the better.

Id bet that it will be legalized in the not too distant future. Just hope it isnt before we've solved some of our much larger problems or those problems worsening them will be all but a done deal.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/05/31 17:50:54
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/01 00:31:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wayne c

It would be nice to have Sunday hunting with no worries.
    It would also be nice to have an agency in place that we could trust and weren't a bunch of environmentalist nuts that cared about "hunting" as more than simply a way to achieve their obtuse agendas.

Sorry, as nice as it would be to be able to responsibly have Sunday hunting, I don't support giving the IR-responsible gameless commission even more means to slaughter our deer herd. Theyve already proven that they cannot be trusted with 6 of the 7 days of the week as is and have managed to royally scroo things up. They are looking for any and every way to kill more deer and this would be welcomed with open arms by the econuts.

I believe Sunday hunting should have been legalized years ago, and most definately would have supported it in "better" less politically deviant times. And i am "for it" generally speaking. But this certainly isnt good timing or "normal" circumstances these days imho. Too much change the last decade as it is, and alot of it hasnt been for the better.

Id bet that it will be legalized in the not too distant future. Just hope it isnt before we've solved some of our much larger problems or those problems worsening them will be all but a done deal.

I see your point. Perhaps hunting Sunday only on private land with written permission might be best until (if) the herd numbers come back up to support seven days of hunting. The private property owner could then decide on how many if any will hunt Sunday, also he has control over the deer population on his property. Public property would be off limits.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/01 08:02:24 (permalink)
    Since Sunday hunting always turns into a deer topic (which btw will be probably the LAST huntable species approved once SH is implemented), WV has some Sunday hunting for private lands only.

The rifle only hunters are gonna love it when deer finally do get added to SH.. cause it may end up archery only at first.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/01 08:08:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wayne c

They are looking for any and every way to kill more deer and this would be welcomed with open arms by the econuts.

I tried to find a smiley face icon thingy for this comment but couldn't. It's worth a quote however.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/01 08:43:38 (permalink)
    Putting the deer thing aside for a moment (if that is possible), I am for Sunday hunting when it comes to upland game, for both personal and practical reasons.

With regard to the personal reasons, it would double the length of my season from what it is currently.  Ever since I have had decent bird dogs (going on 15 seasons now), I can count on one hand the number of days that our party didn't limit out on pheasants.  Typically the days that we didn't all harvest our two birds were very late season days, far removed from the stocking dates, kind of like catching hold over trout in October from marginal streams.  However, during the bulk of the season, from opening day until the onset of deer season, the longest we have hunted until all hunters in the party (five guys) limited out was two hours -- and that was only because we were shooting more photos than birds and were only harvesting roosters, even though hens were legal, just to prolong the hunt.  When hunting by myself, I have had hunts as short as 15 minutes.  Those hunts don't add up to enough time afield (with the prospect of bagging birds, not just going for a walk with a gun) to warrent the time, effort, and cost of training, feeding, and breeding top-flight dogs.  That is why I belong to a few clubs -- to get some more mileage from the mutts.

Even if we were not as successful, hard charging birddogs in heavy cover are only good for a maximum of four hours, so hunting time is limited anyway.  By having Sundays available, the season gets longer, whether birds were bagged or not.

From a practical standpoint, I have read several references (sorry no links, I read them for my informational purposes, not to prepare a legal brief) that stated that released birds, like the PGC stocking program, loses approximately 30% of the birds the first night to preditors.  Less are lost each preceeding night, but there are loses nonetheless.  Since this is purely a put-and-take scenario, it makes sense to me to be able to more effectiely utilize those stocked birds by hunting them every day they are in the field, so as to not waste the money spent on them to feed the foxes, owls, hawks, etc.

And since birds are currently stocked on Game Lands only (with few exceptions), the whole "the land will be posted" argument is moot.

Okay, end of rant.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled deer portion of the debate.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    pappyolboy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/01 12:21:15 (permalink)
    Very well said. Thats the filling of a lot of us.
    Also the main reason I stopped bird hunting 50 years
    ago and gave up the dogs.I couldn't walk it now, but I sure could then. I don't know where you would
    get the push from. But you will need it to get what you want. Good Luck!

OLD MAN
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/01 12:23:49 (permalink)
    This is a little off topic again, but...

The above post makes a great case as to why there should be a pheasant stamp.  The guys who are into the pheasant stockings around here are worse than any trout stocking truck follower I have ever met.  So basically, a select few get the opportunity to hunt a limited amount of birds that cost a small fortune to raise.

The heck with those retarded chickens    
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/01 12:51:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

The above post makes a great case as to why there should be a pheasant stamp.  The guys who are into the pheasant stockings around here are worse than any trout stocking truck follower I have ever met.  So basically, a select few get the opportunity to hunt a limited amount of birds that cost a small fortune to raise.

I agree that a stamp should be in order -- as long as the funds are kept separate and go to stocking birds, not into the general fund where they can be used for other purposes.

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/01 12:56:10 (permalink)
    " Sunday only on private land with written permission might be best until (if) the herd numbers come back up to support seven days of hunting."

Wouldnt work here. Most land is largely PRIVATE in this and many other units, though the majority are huntable and are hunted, in most cases heavily. The huge majority of landowners from my experience in this unit couldnt care less about the deer herd one way or the other. You have a few active farmers who would like you to shoot them all. You have some who own land for purpose of hunting and would like as many as they can carry within reason, and the huge majority dont "manage" their deer in any way. What manages them is how many tags and how many days the guys who have permission to hunt there have to kill deer. No different then public land. I dont think we will agree as its clear you want the added opportunity, and i can respect that. But its not a view i will share as long as the "plan" is going according to plan.

As for the pheasant, i support a stamp for the same reasons i support a trout stamp. Its put and take. You want them bought, you pay for them. I have no problem with those who enjoy that kind of hunting and wouldnt want to see stockings end because its clear that some really enjoy it, and dont mean it in any way to be "smart" or anything by saying i support a stamp. I just think it would be the right thing to do imho.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/06/01 12:58:44
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/01 13:17:16 (permalink)
    I tried to find a smiley face icon thingy for this comment but couldn't. It's worth a quote however

Glad you agree. Kinda hard not to though when we have changes every other year designed to do just that.

We have longer season, more seasons, dmap, sra's, concurrent buck/doe, around and even over some years a million tags, crossbows legalized, deer contraception that now has foot in the door....heck we even have in some of our units, AR being lowered which will only serve to lower the herd a bit more yet. Nickel and diming the herd.

On the table we have proposals for antlerless mentored youth tag transfers which pgc is pushing strongly for permitting toddlers and anyone else under 12 years old to harvest does, we have Sunday hunting proposed...

And all the while historic levels of hunter disgust with the agency and their management, and documented inappropriate econut involvement.

These reasons alone are why i dont support further sunday hunting. I gladly hunt Sundays in other states when i hunt out of state, and have and will continue to hunt coyote etc. on Sundays. And yes, it IS about the deer because the two topics are entertwined and inseparable. If the huge majority of us were RABBIT hunters and their was a ridiculous rabbit reduction program in place for the name of the almighty trillium spearheaded by audubon nuts and dcnr etc., and our ranks were so distraught over it that the agency were sued, audited, prevented fee increases, hunters numbers dwindling and had lowest approval in the nation....

Then i guess it would have to then be about the rabbits. Until then.....it is what it is.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/01 15:24:17 (permalink)
    If the amish will not hunt on Sunday I'm all for Sunday deer hunting.
    A day without having to fight the Blue Army for the few remaining deer would be greatly enjoyed..
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2011/06/01 15:53:46

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/01 15:44:52 (permalink)
    Now with the new hunting hours recently adopted to law the straw hats can pull the trigger while dark but that never stopped them before I guess. I hear lots of complaints that nothing is done. Perhaps hunting Sunday would be our day of rest as you mentioned.
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/01 18:31:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DarDys

I agree that a stamp should be in order -- as long as the funds are kept separate and go to stocking birds, not into the general fund where they can be used for other purposes.

But ya didn't mind shooting all of those pheasants on the backs of all of us non pheasant hunters for all these years. ;)

I think they should enact a pheasant stamp and use only the funds derived from it to stock pheasants.  A $50 stamp should cover about 2 birds bagged per hunter.

PA pheasants=PGC welfare.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/01 18:53:19 (permalink)
        Have a home in Ct which has NO Sunday Hunting and a vacation home in upstate  NY which DOES have Sunday Hunting.
         Nobody cares about it in upstate NY - its just the way it has always been.
    If we tried it in CT I fear it would probably fail cause we have grown to a state with too many Urbies and non  hunters.
        Agree completly with Dar's thoughts on the issue and also agree with Wayne on the Pvt land thing. Could be a great foot in door start.
         Get it while you can guys cause as time goes on it may well become impossible. Dont even fight bout restrictions cause once your foot is in the door you are on good grounds for later compromises.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/06/01 18:56:07
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/02 07:00:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: worm_waster

But ya didn't mind shooting all of those pheasants on the backs of all of us non pheasant hunters for all these years. ;)

I think they should enact a pheasant stamp and use only the funds derived from it to stock pheasants.  A $50 stamp should cover about 2 birds bagged per hunter.

PA pheasants=PGC welfare.w_w.

Very true.

Do you fish for steelhead or stocked trout that were paid for on the backs of the registration fees for pleasure boaters?  Or those that puchase a fishing license, but don't fish for those species?

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/02 07:19:13 (permalink)
    I'm confused. Doesn't the monies collected from the additional trout/salmon stamp go into the stocking of those species ?
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/06/02 07:20:08
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/02 08:11:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

I'm confused. Doesn't the monies collected from the additional trout/salmon stamp go into the stocking of those species ?

It does.  I guess I should clarify.  As Worm_Waster posted about the pheasant stamp paying for about two pheasants (if priced at $50) or, in other words, one daily limit, the amount paid for a trout stamp also pays for about one daily limit.  The Erie stamp money goes for other expenditures that stocking, so the cost of that stamp may not even cover a daily limit.  Put another way, yes, the trout and Erie stamps contribute to the cost of stockng trout, but in no way cover the cost, therefore those that do not fish for trout and those that do not fish at all, end up paying part, if not most, of the cost of those stocking programs.

In all actuality, whether the PGC adds a pheasant stamp, keeps things the same, or stops stocking pheasants altogether, makes no real difference to me.  If they add a stamp, I buy it and keep hunting them as usual.  If they keep it the same, same old, same old.  If they stop stocking birds altogether, that's fine too.  Since all I hunt in PA are pheasants, deer, and geese ( the one day every 3-5 years that someone draws a blind), it would be no skin off my back to not pay for the travel, the migratory stamps (state and federal), the hotel stay, the meals, the ammo I have no other use for, etc., for a one shot goose hunt every 3- 5 years; I could switch my pheasant hunting entirely to preserves for a little additional cost in order to recoup my investment in my dogs; and with deer hunting in my area being a shadow of what it once was, I doubt that I would miss it very much at all, by no longer purchasing a PA hunting license.

The point of my posts, in a thread discussing hunting 7 days per week, was that I would like to see it for pheasants (something I can do now at my club) for the personal and practical reasons listed above.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/02 09:03:33 (permalink)
    Now I understand . Gota ya. When hunting Sundays becomes legal all species should be included small game as well. I agree that too many hunters focus only on deer.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/02 11:29:24 (permalink)
    As with the Sunday hunting debate, a pheasant stamp would have to be created via legislation.  While I would support a pheasant stamp, the PGC's needs the general assembly's help.  The PGC could ask for a stamp but I believe the legislature would be unwilling to pass it as they seem unwilling to increase license fees. 

Right now the PGC is spending alot of money on a put and take proposition.  Plus, there are investing alot of resources into the wild pheasant recovery program with mixed results so far. 
    post edited by dpms - 2011/06/02 12:01:26

My rifle is a black rifle
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/02 11:40:05 (permalink)

Do you fish for steelhead or stocked trout that were paid for on the backs of the registration fees for pleasure boaters?  Or those that puchase a fishing license, but don't fish for those species?

Much of the funding for the trout program comes via trout stamps.  Not to mention there just a few more opportunities to catch stocked trout than there are to hunt PGC stocked pheasants. 

While steelhead stocking isn't funded through the Erie Stamp, stream access and other improvements are.

Your argument would have some merit if you used the stocking of muskies, eyes, stripers, catfish, ect as your example, since the programs are funded by general license sales.  Even so, these programs are slightly more cost effective and accessible to the public than the pheasant stockings.

If I recally correctly, I had read somewhere that at the time of harvest, a PGC stocked bird costs the state somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 per bird.  What a waste. 
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/02 12:02:58 (permalink)
    If I recally correctly, I had read somewhere that at the time of harvest, a PGC stocked bird costs the state somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 per bird. What a waste.

Per the PGC, the cost to raise a pheasant to release is $27.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/02 12:15:19 (permalink)
    The figure I was referring to was a true cost, which among other things included transportation and the actual 'stocking'.  Thanks for the correction though   

Either way it is still a lot of money to pay to feed the foxes.   

post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2011/06/02 12:16:09
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/02 13:42:07 (permalink)

Much of the funding for the trout program comes via trout stamps.  Not to mention there just a few more opportunities to catch stocked trout than there are to hunt PGC stocked pheasants. 

While steelhead stocking isn't funded through the Erie Stamp, stream access and other improvements are.

Your argument would have some merit if you used the stocking of muskies, eyes, stripers, catfish, ect as your example, since the programs are funded by general license sales.  Even so, these programs are slightly more cost effective and accessible to the public than the pheasant stockings.

If I recally correctly, I had read somewhere that at the time of harvest, a PGC stocked bird costs the state somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 per bird.  What a waste. 

You are correct.  But I wasn't presenting an argument.  Worm_Waster ended his post with ;) and I ended mine with .  Not everything needs to be an agrument, you know.

But if you want to take it to the debate stage, use the steelhead example.  Pheasants are stocked all over the state of PA, on pubic ground, so they are within a reasonable drive of all hunters wishing to access them, while steelhead are only stocked in the Erie area, which is not easily accessable within a reasonable drive by most of the state and they exist, to at least some degree, on private ground that can be totally inaccessable to the majority of those that paid for them.
    post edited by DarDys - 2011/06/02 13:50:26

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/02 13:45:25 (permalink)

The figure I was referring to was a true cost, which among other things included transportation and the actual 'stocking'.  Thanks for the correction though   

Either way it is still a lot of money to pay to feed the foxes.   

That would be the true cost, including the legacy costs associated with retirees, etc.  You can buy a pheasant anywhere in the state in September for about $8-$10.

I agree, that is a lot to feed the foxes.  So you must be in favor of hunting them on Sunday then in order to have less go for fox food and more go into smoked pheasant salad.

And its really not all that more than the money the PFBC spends on stocking those slimy muskies that end up in the weeds to feed the coons.
    post edited by DarDys - 2011/06/02 13:49:46

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/02 14:05:01 (permalink)
    You can make an argument for or against most anything, I don't visit the bird watching stations on the game lands, I don't visit the web cam the PGC spent money to set up on the blue bird nesting box, I don't care about the wood rat they are spending money on to research, I could care less about the wildflowers they are researching and wonder why they spent money on a non-game bird breeding atlas.

However, I do enjoy to knock off the occasional pheasant (or at least attempt to) but not to the degree I would spend $50 for a stamp. Raising phesants is just one item of all the different things they do for different folks and as long as the opportunity is there for everyone to take part I fail to see why one group should pay more to do their thing than another.

Do you think the rabbit hunter will pay $50 for a pheasant stamp? Do you think the rabbit hunter will hold fire when his beagle puts up a rooster.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/02 14:53:30 (permalink)
    No and no.

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/02 14:56:06 (permalink)
    Kind of agree with s-10. What rabbits are out there are self sustaining.Ditto for squirrels and and turkeys.
    Deer raise themselves. Only thing that needs replenished are ringnecks.Throw them out there like chickens and let the chips fall where they may.Always some reason why we have a diminished amount of game. Fewer but larger bucks. Fewer but wilder ringnecks....WF..What we probably need is fewer but wilder WCO's
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting 7 days 2011/06/03 10:49:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: World Famous

Kind of agree with s-10. What rabbits are out there are self sustaining.Ditto for squirrels and and turkeys.
    Deer raise themselves. Only thing that needs replenished are ringnecks.Throw them out there like chickens and let the chips fall where they may.Always some reason why we have a diminished amount of game. Fewer but larger bucks. Fewer but wilder ringnecks....WF..What we probably need is fewer but wilder WCO's

Agreed as well.  As I stated before, stocking or not stocking makes no difference to me, but if you are going to stock them, why not let the hunters harvest them instead of predators.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: