Crossbow gobbler #2

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/26 21:12:54 (permalink)

Crossbow gobbler #2

Finally tagged out with three days to go in our season here in Pa.  I have been watching a longbeard and 4 jakes for a couple weeks now as they have been pretty consistant with their afternoon routine.  Two days ago I set up my blind and hunted the afternoon for these birds and did not have any action.  I was able to sneak back in there tonight for a few hours after work.  Around 5:00 a hen and a jake came in to some light purring and feeding clucks and offered me a 8 yard yard.  The safety on the Ten Point Stealth was clicked off and the jake was in the crosshairs when I re-set the safety and watched them feed out of sight.  This jake was very small with maybe a 2 inch beard.  It just didn't feel right at the time so a pass he got.

About a hour later I had a hen answer me from the wood line and soon I could make out the shapes of three birds headed my way.  A hen followed by another two jakes.  Both of these guys were bigger and when they saw my decoy they couldn't get there fast enough.  Off went the safety again on the Ten Point and I watched both birds at 15 yards.  When the bigger cleared, I aimed just above his beard and sent a Gold Tip on its way.  The Lumenoc disappeared through the hole the ABC Turkey Tearror broadhead cleared through his breast and he dropped on the spot.  Pennsylvania crossbow gobbler number two hit the dirt and my 2011 season came to a close.

Though my second bird was a jake, I am proud of the fact that I elected to carry my crossbow every day with me this season and tag two birds.  The shotgun got some serious consideration several times but I kept the promise to myself. I was fortunate to affix my first tag to a beautiful longbeard during the first week of the season but the reality of hunting gobblers with archery equipment made for long days in the field carrying blinds, missing opportunities and some self doubting.  I sat in front of the camera and behind it this year filming with some good friends and we got it done. 

Here are some pictures of this season.

This is this evenings gobbler taken fifteen yards from the blind.  A jake with a 4 1/2 inch beard taken in 2B.

This is my first week gobbler taken at twenty five yards.  #21, 9 1/4 inch beard, 1 1/8 and 1/4 inch spurs taken in 1A.

Here is a picture of American Broadhead Company's Turkey Tearror broadhead.  I shot two birds with it this spring and both never took a step.  Anyone looking for a quality broadhead for turkey hunting should consider these heads.

And the Ten Point Stealth XLT.  A fast, compact bow perfect for the turkey woods.

My rifle is a black rifle

3 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Crossbow gobbler #2 2011/05/27 04:20:37 (permalink)
    Congrats, that's doing it the hard way when compared to my Ithaca Mag 10.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Crossbow gobbler #2 2011/05/27 16:03:00 (permalink)
    Good Job, Congrats !
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Crossbow gobbler #2 2011/05/27 21:20:16 (permalink)
    Good job -arrow hunting cross or recurv or compound are all great and rewarding  ways to hunt 
    Jump to: