LockedHouse G&F Sunday hunting meeting

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
  • Reward points: 0
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/24 13:33:30 (permalink)
I am 100 percent in support of Sunday hunting, for every species and season, with the exception of rifle season for deer.  I honestly think that they need the break in many areas of high pressure, and driving.

Religion should have NOTHING to do with it.

People can also post there property "No Sunday Hunting."  I already hunt property in Ohio that is this way.  I have absolutely no problem with stay off their property on Sundays.  People who are going to disrepect a landowner, are going to do it no matter what day it is.

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/24 15:25:24 (permalink)
Every business profits from Sunday being a day open for business. Outfitters are being discriminated against for not being able to do business on Sunday. As more organize and push for Sunday hunting,things surly will change. I encourage all to write their state reps in support of Sunday hunting, organize and make your voice heard. The sooner the better. Hey Doc, looks like over 4,000 people disagree with you......http://www.petitiononline.com/hntpa/petition.html
post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/05/24 15:59:21
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/24 16:00:54 (permalink)
http://www.petitiononline.com/hntpa/petition.html

http://www.petitiononline.com/hntpa/petition.html

Here is the link
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/24 17:15:58 (permalink)

Hey Doc, looks like over 4,000 people disagree with you...

So out of 12.6 million people in Pennsylvania, 4,000 go on a hunting site and say yes to Sunday hunting ... that's not a surpise to me... BUT ---

notice they are NOT accepting no votes.. it's not a yes or no poll...

just no votes are counted... so you have NOTHING to compare the yes votes to...

who know maybe 4,000 or more would have voted no to Sunday Hunting if they had the chance..

not a very good poll to prove a point with IMHO...
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/24 17:34:40 (permalink)
All this poll show is that more and more are getting on board. It won't be long !
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/24 23:01:29 (permalink)
All this poll show is that more and more are getting on board.

how do you know that...

this poll shows NOTHING but that 4,000 people on a hunting site said yes to Sunday hunting..

The same poll last year may have had 5,000 saying yes.... it shows NOTHING ...

there's nothing to compare it to.. dumbest poll I even seen... in fact it isn't even a poll.. there are no choices...

Just to show how this petition shows little about the feelings because of so few votes, here's the same groups petition to the PGC asking for reduced doe tags and a shorter season... this one only has 3,000 votes.. while so many want us to believe a majority feels the doe harvest are to big... 3,000 votes.. heck we sold about 10,000 doe tags just in 2F ....

http://www.petitiononline.com/nodoe/petition.html

these represent NOTHNIG in my opinion... not enough votes to make a statement on what the majority of hunters of Pennsylvanians think about either subject...

If I want I guess I could say that these petitions show that only 3,000 think we should harvest less deer but over 4,000 think we need more days to kill more deer.. so the majorty must feel the herd is in GOOD shape and we can afford another non-work day for most to kill more deer...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/24 23:20:43
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/24 23:58:07 (permalink)
Yes it's only one petition and to you it might mean nothing but the push for Sunday hunting in Pa is stronger than ever. More and more people are putting pressure on the politicians to make it law. Sportsman need to keep organizing and pushing for Sunday hunting and keep the momentum going. It's no different than fishing on Sundays.Make your voice heard and contact your state reps.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/24 23:59:21 (permalink)
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/25 07:24:54 (permalink)
There are many petitions circulating the state trying to get support for Sunday hunting besides just that one. A local sport shop owner in this area also has a well publicsed one that I understand has a lot of signatures.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/25 07:38:28 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

these represent NOTHNIG in my opinion... not enough votes to make a statement on what the majority of hunters of Pennsylvanians think about either subject...

I agree.  The issue is so clouded and to many folks and complex that any results for or against are questionable at best.

The issue needs to be addressed from a multi faceted angle so everyone has a clear understand of the process and what any outcomes may entail. 

post edited by dpms - 2011/05/25 07:43:29

My rifle is a black rifle
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/25 09:04:32 (permalink)
talk about clouded...

I just went back to the petition OA posted and was reading comments voters made.. I found many very interesting.. like this one ...

We can't forget that we (hunters) are not the only people that like to enjoy the outdoors. It is not worth ruining the remainder of our reputation for an additional day of hunting! We get six days now, why not leave one for those who want to walk through the woods without a worry…

Then there is one by an ELEVEN YEAR OLD supporting the idea,

a few more nos..

then the one by a guy who is pointing out the "morons" who signed the petition ASKING FOR SUNDAY hunting and are counted as such but posted they do not want it.. and that comment gets counted as another supportive vote. .. so the 4,000 is not really accurate either

and the icing on the cake I found many examples of the same person voting more than once...

4154. Andrew Hill Huntin on Sundays would be awesome. more time for us working guys when we gotta work saturdays.

4153. Andrew Hill Huntin on Sundays would be awesome. more time for us working guys when we gotta work saturdays.
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/25 09:22:05
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/25 09:13:26 (permalink)
I am not supporting Sunday Hunting.. period .... BUT I do agree with OA on this point..

putting pressure on the politicians to make it law

Let the politiicans make the call not the PGC !!!!!!

I have no problem with the legislature making the call.. never said I did, in fact IMHO that's who should do it ... I do not want the PGC making the call.. If the legislature changes the law. so be it ... I'll live with it .. then the PGC can decide what and when to hunt on Sundays... they can then regulate what Sundays and what species... which is what they do now for seasons and species...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/25 09:14:32
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/25 09:22:55 (permalink)

Let the politiicans make the call not the PGC !!!!!!

I have no problem with the legislature making the call.. never said I did, in fact IMHO that's who should do it ... I do not want the PGC making the call.. If the legislature changes the law. so be it ... I'll live with it .. then the PGC can decide what and when to hunt on Sundays... they can then regulate what Sundays and what species... which is what they do now for seasons and species...

That is precisely what the recent movement is.  Nothing happens without the general assembly transferring regulatory control.  The PGC can't make the call on anything as it stands now.  As long as folks understand that a transfer is not a mandate for Sunday hunting, both sides should be OKAY? with the idea. 

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/25 11:38:59 (permalink)
We all saw this before with stores, bars and many other businesses wanting to be open on Sundays. The push for Sunday hunting is bigger than ever and the amount of money lost due to not hunting Sunday is mind boggling. In these hard times and lack of Jr.s participating in hunting now is Sunday hunting is getting more attention than ever before. More and more people are getting on the Hunt Sunday bandwagon. To all that organize and voice your support continue and full speed ahead !!
bassboatbill
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1194
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/25 11:47:34 (permalink)
But why give the PGC control 6 out of 7 days...makes no sense

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/25 21:43:47 (permalink)

But why give the PGC control 6 out of 7 days...makes no sense

Because that's the way the law is written currently...

Nothing happens without the general assembly transferring regulatory control.

BULL.... the legislature can drop the ban on Sunday Hunting any time they want to, just like they did with most of the original Sunday Blue Laws....let the legislature change the law allowing Sunday hunting first

then "transfer" any further decisions to the PGC .. DO NOT transfer the power to change the Sunday Hunting law to the PGC.. change the law then there can be a transfer to allow the PGC to make further decision...

My problem is that my local politicians are against Sunday Hunting plain and simple...and will not change the law and take responsibility for doing it.. they know better.. sure they want the PGC to take the fall by asking for the power to make the decision....... big mistake...

It's like the old game of "hot potatoe" who ever gets caught holding the potatoe (allowing Sunday Hunting) is going to get BURNED !!!!
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/25 21:45:51 (permalink)
Okay let me ask this of you guys ...

How can the PGC allow what hunting they do now (coyotes)if they do not have the power to do so now ?????

If they can say coyotes are okay why can't they say so are whitetails ??????

what's the "loop-hole" they are using now ????
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/25 21:46:32
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/25 22:34:55 (permalink)

It's like the old game of "hot potatoe" who ever gets caught holding the potatoe (allowing Sunday Hunting) is going to get BURNED !!!!

Who got burned in the 43 other states that have Sunday hunting ?

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/25 23:01:48 (permalink)
Only the folks in the last 7 bassackwards states that do not allow it.

Hey, Doc how come you were all against the legiscritters deciding the crossbow issue if they "know what they are doing" (your words not mine) ?

I wouldn't trust a politician to give me the time of day without looking at my watch..

Something smells of a little hypocrisy here.

If all you care about is the PGC getting another Black eye then that is very very short sighted..

I think there eyes are all ready as black as they can get.

http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/media/docs/SundayHunting.pdf

http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=4508

http://www.nraila.org/images/sundayhunting.jpg

Or mabee you just fall in line with these folks.

http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=673

Got your PETA membership yet ? Mabee you could all hangout and discuss it over some tofu.
post edited by bingsbaits - 2011/05/25 23:22:57

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/26 07:25:02 (permalink)
"Got your PETA membership yet ? Mabee you could all hangout and discuss it over some tofu."

That they bought at Doc's store. 

On a Sunday.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/26 07:32:29 (permalink)

Nothing happens without the general assembly transferring regulatory control.

BULL.... the legislature can drop the ban on Sunday Hunting any time they want to, just like they did with most of the original Sunday Blue Laws....let the legislature change the law allowing Sunday hunting first

then "transfer" any further decisions to the PGC .. DO NOT transfer the power to change the Sunday Hunting law to the PGC.. change the law then there can be a transfer to allow the PGC to make further decision...

Doc,

The legislature totally controls Sunday hunting now. The PGC can not add Sundays to any season.

Here is the scary part.  The legislature could drop the ban on Sunday hunting which would make Sundays immediately legal for all species during all existing seasons. Is that what you want and suggested? Not a good idea if one is concerned for the resource.  Or they pass legislation  transferring regulatory control to the PGC to add or not add Sundays to a specific season based on biologists recommendations, public comment and two votes in BOC meetings.
post edited by dpms - 2011/05/26 08:00:21

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/26 07:37:36 (permalink)

Okay let me ask this of you guys ...

How can the PGC allow what hunting they do now (coyotes)if they do not have the power to do so now ?????

If they can say coyotes are okay why can't they say so are whitetails ??????

what's the "loop-hole" they are using now ????

Doc,

The PGC did not say coyotes or crows were legal game on Sundays.  This took legislation and passage through the general assembly to make it happen.  The PGC cannot add any Sundays because of the current laws that exist here. 

As I said, this issue is very complex.

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/26 07:42:20 (permalink)

Here lies the problem.  At least this was a prolem in the past.  The PGC punted to the legislature saying they need legislation to even look at Sunday hunting.  The legislature said we need the PGC to ask for it.  Neither did anything and here we still sit.  One of the few states left where our game agency cannot set hunting seasons and manage game 7 days of the week.

Thankfully, this is changing.
post edited by dpms - 2011/05/26 07:44:17

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/26 07:50:49 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

If all you care about is the PGC getting another Black eye then that is very very short sighted..

Very true Bings.  The anti's want and are pushing for political control of our natural resources across this country.  Supporting politicians regulating hunting is exactly what they want to see. 

Pa. is rather fortunate because hunting support is strong.  That support is slipping with time though and we need to be proactive and not reactive if the sport is to survive as we know it.  Not just here in Pa., but everywhere. 
post edited by dpms - 2011/05/26 07:54:03

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/26 08:31:26 (permalink)
DPMS, if I may ask, what is your profession?
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/26 10:13:38 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

DPMS, if I may ask, what is your profession?

Sure you can ask.  PT( pain and torture). LOL.  Physical therapy is my profession. 

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/26 10:30:16 (permalink)
Gene..

you are so right about it being COMPLEX !!!

IMHO it's a thin line and one has to be very careful in what they want the PGC to allow and not allow "on their own"..

there are "state and federal laws" that "trump" any rules, laws that the PGC may want to make based on "regulating hunting and wildlife"...

just like when they wanted and pushed for and got the not carrying a handgun while archery hunting.. that BREAKS my state right to carry a handgun 24/7 with the proper permit. The PGC should not be able to make or enforce that law and it got changed..

If I worked night shift and wanted to spotlight deer on the way to work I could not carry my handgun in the vehicle with my permit to carry... that's not right either.. my permit from the state said I could...

I also would not want the PGC to decide we need to kill more deer and they realize many are on private property.. so they "regulate" and decide one does not need to have permission to hunt on some one's private property for deer...

How about the fact they DO NOT need a search warrant to look into your trunk if they suspect you were/are hunting.. even the state police can't do that... just how much power to make or change laws do you want them to have and use, using "regulating game, wildlife and hunting" as the basis to make or change laws on their own ????...

Here's a pet peeve... What gives the PGC and thus a WCO the right to know who is staying in my camp in rifle season... (a roster with names and addresses)It's the same as my home.. IT's mine and who I invite in is MY BUSINESS....??????? What does that law have to do with "regulating" wildlife ??????

thanks for answering the who decided coyotes were legal on Sunday question... I thought that's the way it was but was not sure....

The legislature could drop the ban on Sunday hunting which would make Sundays immediately legal for all species during all existing seasons.Is that what you want and suggested?

IF I was in favor of Sunday hunting yes that is what I would want the legislature to do.. Make it lawful to hunt on Sunday based on the PGC's rules..

If you believe all the talk about hunters wanting more opportunity to hunt.. Sundays would allow that, then how could you then pick and choose who gets to hunt... rabbit= yes.. turkey=no... duck =no, deer =no, squirrels= yes, grouse= no,etc etc

Allow Sunday hunting making hunting legal 7 days a week.. then let the PGC decide season..

i.e.= if more days for harvesting deer would hurt the resource then cut the season length accordingly... like -
start on Monday and end two week later on a Friday.. cut the last traditional Sat to make up for the one Sunday...

they could adjust the close or opening of a season to allow for the Sunday hunts that a law change would add.... and all those wanting that non-work day to hunt would be happy....

I just want us to be VERY CAREFUL in what "powers" we give the PGC to make and change existing laws using "regulating" as the basis... plus I just do not want hunting on Sundays

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/26 11:23:14 (permalink)

just like when they wanted and pushed for and got the not carrying a handgun while archery hunting.. that BREAKS my state right to carry a handgun 24/7 with the proper permit. The PGC should not be able to make or enforce that law and it got changed..

If I worked night shift and wanted to spotlight deer on the way to work I could not carry my handgun in the vehicle with my permit to carry... that's not right either.. my permit from the state said I could...

Allow Sunday hunting making hunting legal 7 days a week.. then let the PGC decide season..

Maybe I am interpreting your statement wrong but you do know that if you have a license to carry that you can still carry while archery hunting and spotlighting now?

You last comment in the quote, that is precisely what I am proposing?  If legislation passes for a regulatory transfer, the PGC would still have to decide when and where.  Seems to be what you want? They keys are in the hands of the legislature.  It is their call.
post edited by dpms - 2011/05/26 12:00:37

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/26 15:14:59 (permalink)
No I know they changed those law, I was happy to see it changed... In my opinion the PGC should never have been allowed to ask for those laws in the first place...I was using them as examples of the PGC over-stepping their authorities IMO... Its' a law that Sunday hunting is prohibited... let the law be changed to Sunday hunting is allowed.. then let the PGC handle it as for what and when and in the seasons it applies... I want the legislature changing the law not the PGC asking for the power to decide if we can hunt on Sunday .......

This current push (from what I am told ) is to get the PGC to "ASK" for the Sunday hunting to be changed and give them the authority to do that.. that's just WRONG.. they should not have the power to change state laws just because they or hunters want the law changed...
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: House G&F Sunday hunting meeting 2011/05/26 15:36:29 (permalink)
" Its' a law that Sunday hunting is prohibited... let the law be changed to Sunday hunting is allowed.. then let the PGC handle it as for what and when and in the seasons it applies... I want the legislature changing the law not the PGC asking for the power to decide if we can hunt on Sunday ."

Doc, Any legislation that would give the PGC reulatory authority in regatrds to sunday hunting, would DO exactly what you're suggesting. They CAN'T hand over that authority unless the legislative prohibition is removed.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to: