Prehistoric Creatures

Author
deetz4352
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3549
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/28 12:46:51 (permalink)

Prehistoric Creatures

Im on a vacation week and finally the weather broke for me to get out and do some fishin. Spent the better part of the morning looking for fish . I hit a known spot and had a blast rippin lips and poking holes in a bunch of bass.

I had an unexpected catch for the day ... One Gar Pike

The fish hit with intensity and did a death spin to completely destroy the spoon it hit. After a thrash and a few spins the fish totally wrapped up in my line and The Gar was dragged in to be photographed and released.
That put a smile on my face and my day was complete. Guessing it was around 30" long. Longest one Ive brought to hand. 

Here is a shot of the release, please keep in mind the water was murky and Im still learning how to use and post this stuff up. Enjoy if it works

http://s415.photobucket.com/albums/pp238/deetz1/Mobile%20Uploads/?action=view&current=100_0091.mp4

A couple of the nice bass that were caught

The Deetz

The Deetz
Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it

19 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/04/28 12:58:31 (permalink)
    Nice!! Glad to see the weather cut you a break! The gar is cool... caught one fishing the bay a couple years ago for smallmouth... Prehistoric is a good description
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/04/28 14:56:17 (permalink)
    Fire your camera guy...he sux

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    6point7
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/04/28 15:13:08 (permalink)
    Shoulda ate it dude.
    chrishinesg
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 432
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/04/28 16:28:12 (permalink)
    thats one wicked lookin fish there deetz

It's not how deep you fish...It's how you wiggle your worm.
    flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/04/28 18:05:00 (permalink)
    Awesome fish

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish."
    ~ John H. Bradley
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/04/28 18:12:12 (permalink)
    I have hooked and lost many gar. I was fishing in Ochechobee one time and a buddy of mine hooked a gar that sided next to the boat like a musky. It was at least 60 inches long. About midday of that trip I had had enough of three - four pound largemouth and told the captain I wanted to fish for gar only... He got on the radio and told everyone within earshot that he had some %$@#*!% idiot in his boat that actually wanted to catch gar... I think they are really interesting fish and the next time I'm in Dallas on business I am going after some alligators...

Awesome catch....

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/04/28 19:02:00 (permalink)
    Deetz Buddy! Congrats my friend. Glad your having a good week. The pics here and the others - ( I took the time to look through them - saw some familiar times there) made my day after a long one with all the storms that came through. Very crazy weather. Thanks buddy and enjoy whats left. You deserve it.

Spoke too soon... just got called - back in again I guess. Like I said my friend - enjoy it. Wish i was there with ya. 3 more months till I head north. Can't come soon 'nuff
    post edited by steely34 - 2011/04/28 19:05:44

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2153
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/04/28 22:34:29 (permalink)
    Nice Fish!
    PHOTOJIM
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/04/28 22:47:25 (permalink)
    Fishing on Elk one time a whole school  (  tribe,   group or what ever you want to call them   ) were swimming all around us.  most were 2 to 3 feet and so neat to watch..  Congrats on have a great day.  I wish I was out it has been about 3 months
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/04/28 23:21:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: topdog99

I have never touched a gar without shedding atleast a little blood.

Thats weird....I've handled a hundred gar without incident.....just like any other toothy fish.

everyone who fishes for big toothy fish should have a "plan" for release....it's as/if not more important than your hookset....you should rethink your "plan"...jmo
    post edited by Mr.Slickfish - 2011/04/28 23:48:12

I choose Little Cleos

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/04/28 23:26:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy

a buddy of mine hooked a gar that sided next to the boat like a musky. It was at least 60 inches long

Awesome catch....

I've seen em in PI bay 6 and maybe 7ft long..."people" and "biologists" say they dont get that big here.....they do....I've seen schools of hundreds

I choose Little Cleos

heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/04/29 12:14:30 (permalink)
    so thats why my mail was late

nice gar dude

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    albud1962
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/04/29 23:21:47 (permalink)
    This is one prehistoric creature....

REMEMBER KEEP ALL THAT YOU CATCH AND CATCH ALL THAT YOU CAN KEEP OTHERWISE THEM FISH BECOME hOOK sHY!

fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/04/30 22:02:39 (permalink)
    I understand the bloodshed part, my first gar I caught on a Sebile white joined jerkbait and got it up. Its scales gave my arm a pretty good gash luckily I was already due for a tetanus shot. But I agree what I need fish and if you find them in the shallows of hot days during the summer pitch them a popper and see them explode on it. But make sure you have SHARP hooks because they are hard to hook on the bite
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/05/01 16:39:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: heyiknowyou

so thats why my mail was late

nice gar dude

Thanks man !!!

Yer mayo waz latE cuz eye-uz on Vaca duud. just sayin'

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/05/01 22:30:11 (permalink)
    They aren't too scary. You see lotsa pics of guys holding their mouths shut with their fist. I will say though, a gar is the only fish I've ever had snap at me. I had one laying on the ground and when I went to pick it up it flopped it's head towards me and snapped. Just grab em up though. Being slender makes them easier to handle, but there are some big ones out there.

I'd rather be fishin...
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/05/02 07:45:42 (permalink)
    Very hard to set a hook on them because of the bony jaws and if you use small hooks and minnows they often swallow it and get hooked too deep. Have heard and read about people fishing for them with some type of fly(no hook) made of a matrial that actually gets caught and tangled on there toothy bony jaw making it relatively easy to "hook" and then land them. I would think the problem after that would be trying to get them loose and release them. I've fished the Santee-Cooper area several times and caught a few four to five footers there fishing for catfish. They do thrash around a lot.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/05/03 11:03:27 (permalink)
    Gar Pike, just called a Gar, but a nice one at that.
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Prehistoric Creatures 2011/05/03 11:20:08 (permalink)
    Very hard to set a hook on them because of the bony jaws and if you use small hooks and minnows they often swallow it and get hooked too deep. Have heard and read about people fishing for them with some type of fly(no hook) made of a matrial that actually gets caught and tangled on there toothy bony jaw making it relatively easy to "hook" and then land them. I would think the problem after that would be trying to get them loose and release them. I've fished the Santee-Cooper area several times and caught a few four to five footers there fishing for catfish. They do thrash around a lot.

Get an old pair of nylons from your wife (or if you're into that kind of thing, the ones you keep in your sock drawer for when the wife is out of town) and cut a small strip (1 inch by 8 inches,) double it over and put it on your hook before you hook the minnow on. The gar's teeth will get caught in the nylon, even if the hook doesn't set in the jaw...

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    Jump to: