Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
DownSouth1
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 102
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/26 14:24:48 (permalink)

Sunday Hunting

Where are the Unified Sportsman now? Everyone wants Sunday Hunting. Well If there is Sunday Hunting, is the Game Comm. going to reduce the length of the season by one day for every Sunday added? Remember everyone is upset with no deer, extra doe tags, D-Map tags etc. Sportsman are the only ones that can reverse this trend of no deer, by shorter season and using restraint when harvesting deer. One Buck and One doe is plenty. The foresters want 10 to 20 deer per. sq. mile. If you feel this is enough deer then do what the foresters and game comm. want and shoot every deer you see., Longer seasons and more chances to hunt wont cure the problem of no deer it will only make the matter worse. You wont see any more deer on Sunday.

I myself don't care if there is Sunday Hunting but the season should be shortened by one day for every Sunday added. The season are to long now.

81 Replies Related Threads

rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/26 15:04:37 (permalink)
    I dont want to hunt sundays.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/26 16:41:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DownSouth1

Where are the Unified Sportsman now? Everyone wants Sunday Hunting. Well If there is Sunday Hunting, is the Game Comm. going to reduce the length of the season by one day for every Sunday added? Remember everyone is upset with no deer, extra doe tags, D-Map tags etc. Sportsman are the only ones that can reverse this trend of no deer, by shorter season and using restraint when harvesting deer. One Buck and One doe is plenty. The foresters want 10 to 20 deer per. sq. mile. If you feel this is enough deer then do what the foresters and game comm. want and shoot every deer you see., Longer seasons and more chances to hunt wont cure the problem of no deer it will only make the matter worse. You wont see any more deer on Sunday.

I myself don't care if there is Sunday Hunting but the season should be shortened by one day for every Sunday added. The season are to long now.

My self and many other organized clubs agree with you. We have taken action to increase the deer herd. Property once open for public hunting is now closed due to the decline in the herd.When private land is no longer available to hunt thank the PGC for their efforts in reducing the herds. Sunday hunting will best be enjoyed taking your bow or firearm for a walk on open land.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/26 18:13:16 (permalink)
    I've been hunting Sundays for years, less competition...WF
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/26 18:29:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DownSouth1

Where are the Unified Sportsman now? Everyone wants Sunday Hunting. Well If there is Sunday Hunting, is the Game Comm. going to reduce the length of the season by one day for every Sunday added?

As is usually the case with Sunday hunting discussions, the focus tends to be on deer.  If there comes a time that the PGC can add Sundays to seasons, then the discussion can be where, when and how. 

If they added Sundays to small game, should the season be shortened? If they added a Sunday to the youth gobbler hunt or early youth firearms doe hunt, should the season be shortened?  I don't think so. There are so many options for Sundays that have nothing to do with regular firearms deer.  If they ever did consider Sundays for regular firearms deer, most likely we are looking at one Sunday added to the season.  Big deal or not?  Don't know but we have lost 200,000 deer hunters over the past 10 years. It may be a wash. 

But that is a discussion for another time.

My rifle is a black rifle
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/26 18:31:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rollcaster

I dont want to hunt sundays.

Just like some folks don't like to hunt spring gobbler on Saturdays, preferring weekdays.  Choice is great and everyone can choose to participate or not.
    post edited by dpms - 2011/04/26 18:32:55

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/26 18:36:53 (permalink)
    On a related note, the NRA convention is in Pittsburgh this weekend.  There will be a few discussions taking place that may lay the framework for movement. 

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/26 19:52:54 (permalink)
    In Pennsylvania nearly all game animals and birds have been declining over the last decade per the PGC.

The top two reasons given for quitting hunting in a PGC survey as stated by the biologist during the last BOC meeting were "lack of game" and "lack of places to hunt".

THE ANSWER

Lets add days to the seasons so the folks can further deplete the already declining resource.
    Better yet lets add Sunday hunting so we can pizz off a few farmers who haven't yet posted their property.
    Yep-- that should take care of the problem.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/26 20:05:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

Better yet lets add Sunday hunting so we can pizz off a few farmers who haven't yet posted their property.

Was talking to a patient of mine who is is PFB member and is involved in the organization.  I brought up Sunday hunting.  Interesting discussion.  He was chuckling when he mentioned the PFB wants it both ways.  Less deer but no Sunday deer hunting. 

tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/26 21:40:19 (permalink)
    Lets outlaw Sunday fishing, I know a bunch of lake owners just fed up with Sunday fishermen.  Don't even get me started on Sunday flea markets!
    frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/26 22:25:03 (permalink)
    As far as land owners and farmers getting pizzed off with Sunday hunting, all they need to do is say "I don't want you to hunt Sundays"...I have a farm that I cannot hunt Mondays or Wednesdays cause of the farmers schedule and another that I can't hunt on Tuesdays.  His property his rules!  I always ask when getting permission if there are any days that are bad for him/his family and respect his wishes...

I know not everyone has enough courtesy to ask and respect the land owners, but they are also the ones that will get kicked off and/or trespass and posted signs wouldn't matter to them anyway.

Sunday hunting would just open up an extra day for people that work Monday-Friday and give the Monday-Saturday workers ONE day to hunt.  My mom stopped hunting 10 years ago, when I was 13 because she started working at the post office Monday-Saturday.  She now has Thursdays off, but I have school, so there again we still can't hunt together, so she doesn't even get her license.  I would love to be able to hunt with my mom again, but still can't.  Sundays would give us one day a week to spend together (I don't live at home anymore).

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 02:00:28 (permalink)

Yep.
    By adding Sunday hunting, a 5000+acre of **** fine deer woods will be posted around here.  It is currently open to the public.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 02:02:50 (permalink)
    Property once open for public hunting is now closed due to the decline in the herd.

And once the herd has "rebounded" the posters will come down?  Uh huh...

Sunday hunting will best be enjoyed taking your bow or firearm for a walk on open land.

Not for you, though, right?

Ironhed

p.s.  Might have to call upon Baby Jesus on this one?
    post edited by Ironhed - 2011/04/27 02:04:44

Blacktop Charters
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 10:40:47 (permalink)
    As is usually the case with Sunday hunting discussions, the focus tends to be on deer. If there comes a time that the PGC can add Sundays to seasons, then the discussion can be where, when and how.

And exactly how have those deer discussion been going? Speaking for my unit and our 65,000 tags, im guessing not too well.

"Big deal or not? Don't know but we have lost 200,000 deer hunters over the past 10 years. It may be a wash."

Not hardly. Our herd has been managed to be declined with that declining number of hunters and hasnt exactly gone out of control since. A much smaller herd + a still absurdly ridiculous allocation + sunday hunting doesnt = a wash. We still have plenty of hunters, and states with a helluva lot less hunters and a helluva lot lower antlerless alotment than us manage to keep their herd in line.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/04/27 10:41:06
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 10:44:02 (permalink)
    Just like some folks don't like to hunt spring gobbler on Saturdays, preferring weekdays. Choice is great and everyone can choose to participate or not

And the same could be said for the situation now "as is".
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 11:07:33 (permalink)
    Wayne,

We are gonna disagree on many of the applications of this issue.  My point mainly being it is in our best interests to have game agencies regulating hunting across this country.  There are many glaring bad examples of what happens when politicians regulate hunting.  There is no place for it if you do not want well organized anti-hunting groups driving policy. 

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 11:32:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ironhed

Property once open for public hunting is now closed due to the decline in the herd.

And once the herd has "rebounded" the posters will come down?  Uh huh...

Sunday hunting will best be enjoyed taking your bow or firearm for a walk on open land.

Not for you, though, right?

Ironhed

p.s.  Might have to call upon Baby Jesus on this one?

Nope. Hunting with permission only will only be allowed on property's owned or leased by the organized clubs and private property owners. As far as the herd rebounding, it is already happening on private posted ground and more people are granted permission than years ago. The land was open to anyone years back and everyone knows you need guys in the woods to move deer during rifle.Less deer = less people. Thanks to the declining herd the property owners (the ones who pay the taxes) have decided to manage their own herds.It's becoming very popular as deer numbers are very low in some areas. As far as Sunday hunting I could care less but it would give youth's more time to hunt with family rather private or public land. Anything else I can answer for you ironhed ?
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/04/27 12:02:32
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 11:55:12 (permalink)
    There are many glaring bad examples of what happens when politicians regulate hunting. There is no place for it if you do not want well organized anti-hunting groups driving policy.

In theory you are very correct. In actual practice, In Pennsylvania, You couldn't be more incorrect. Lets review the facts pertaining to Pennsylvania.

1. THE STATE FORESTS= They are being run by the Forest Stewardship Council under the guise of Forest Certification.
    The FSC was formed in 1992 At the Rio Earth Summit by enviromental groups including Greenpeace and the Worldlife Fund and has had such notibles on it's BOD as members of the Defenders of Wildlife(the wolf people).
    Of the nine members of the Board of Governance eight are from Europe or South America.

Are we getting a better deal from these folks than we would from politicans we can actually talk to? I'am not so sure

2. THE STATE GAMELANDS and ANF= The Pennsylvania Audubon and Pennsylvania Habitat Alliance organized the Deer Management Forum Which brought together all the folks who wanted to reduce the deer herd for various reasons including the DCNR.

The stated goal of the Audubon and Habitat Alliance is Habitat Diversity such as we had before the arrival of man.
    One only has to go on the PGC website and read what research they are doing,the jobs of the biologists they are hiring, and the amount of money being spent both directly and indirectly on non-game species to see who is controling the current direction of the PGC.

EX. we had to cut ringneck production in half to pay for upgrades of the facilities but hired 14 non-game biologists and had a $39,000,000 budget surplus.-----------The PGC stated we didn't have the money to study why we are losing deer hunters at 10 tines the national average. We had the money to put out a breeding bird atlas and conduct studies on bats and rats.

Are we getting as much attention to hunters needs and retention since the Audubon Eco-System Management initiative starting in 2000 as we might from our elected officials. Again, I'am not so sure.
    post edited by S-10 - 2011/04/27 12:00:34
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 12:02:24 (permalink)

Are we getting as much attention to hunters needs and retention since the Audubon Eco-System Management initiative starting in 2000 as we might from our elected officials. Again, I'am not so sure.

Not so sure is a good way of putting it.  What is for sure is that politicians are elected by the general populous in the areas they represent.  It is also well known that hunter numbers are decreasing.  Translation is hunter's opinions carry decreasing weight over time as non-hunters make up a larger percentage of the populous. 

Pennsylvania is still a firearms and hunter friendly state, for the most part.  We kinda have it good compared to New York, Jersey, California etc...    

I will take my chances with a game agency staffed by hunters or those that fully support hunting and hunters rights as opposed to political policy that is potentially driven by forces that are not friendly.

I will never understand folks that support hunting believing that the future of our sport is in better hands if public opinion drives game management.  Here or anywhere. 
    post edited by dpms - 2011/04/27 12:13:12

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 12:11:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dpms

Not so sure is a good way of putting it.  What is for sure is that politicians are elected by the general populous in the areas they represent.  It is also well known that hunter numbers are decreasing.  Translation is hunter's opinions carry decreasing weight over time as non-hunters make up a larger percentage of the populous. 

Pennsylvania is still a firearms and hunter friendly state, for the most part.  We kinda have it good compared to New York, Jersey, California etc...    

I will take my chances with an game agency staffed by hunters or those that fully support hunting and hunters rights as opposed to political policy that is potentially driven by forces that are not friendly.

Why is NY worst off than Pa ? They have Sunday hunting.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 12:20:07 (permalink)
    will never understand folks that support hunting believing that the future of our sport is in better hands if public opinion drives game management. Here or anywhere.

Perhaps because various polls put public support for hunting at 74%-78% but the folks that are controlling the State Forests, ANF, and Game Lands priorties and direction here in Pennsylvania appear to be in the 22%-26% group.
    post edited by S-10 - 2011/04/27 12:22:40
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 12:25:19 (permalink)

Perhaps because various polls put public support for hunting at 74%-78% but the folks that are controlling the State Forests, ANF, and Game Lands priorties and direction here in Pennsylvania appear to be in the 22%-26% group.

If those numbers swap, you still would prefer politicians driving hunting policy?

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 12:29:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

In my post, I was also referring to states that are hunter and firearms friendly.  NY is not a state to model after if you like firearms rights.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 12:34:20 (permalink)
    quote:

If those numbers swap, you still would prefer politicians driving hunting policy?

IF THOSE NUMBERS SWAP IT WON'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 12:36:02 (permalink)

IF THOSE NUMBERS SWAP IT WON'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE

So if 76% of Pennsylvania residents did not support hunting, you would be okay with our politiicans regulating hunting? 

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 12:51:24 (permalink)

In my post, I was also referring to states that are hunter and firearms friendly.  NY is not a state to model after if you like firearms rights.

OK, I think. Hunting on Sunday is being hunter friendly and what firearm challenges does NY have rather than shotgun only in some areas much like Pa ? Just curious ?
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 13:05:54 (permalink)
    So if 76% of Pennsylvania residents did not support hunting, you would be okay with our politiicans regulating hunting?

Now your just trying to be cute. We both know the BOC members are picked by the politicans, the politicans control the purse strings, and the PGC is independent in name only at the present time.
    We also both know that regulatory control was not an issue in the past and wouldn't be an issue now EXCEPT for the belief by some that the time is ripe for geting Sunday hunting implemented.
    You are for Sunday hunting and have been consistent in your posts in favor of it for years.
    I am against Sunday hunting and have been consistant in my posts against it for years.

I guess the only way to settle this is recurve bows at 10 paces.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 13:25:07 (permalink)

Now your just trying to be cute.

We also both know that regulatory control was not an issue in the past and wouldn't be an issue now EXCEPT for the belief by some that the time is ripe for geting Sunday hunting implemented.

I guess the only way to settle this is recurve bows at 10 paces.

Not being cute. Just pointing out that we should not be content because we have the luxury of support for hunting in Pa.  The tide has been changing slowly over the years.

I believe the time is ripe for the PGC acquiring regulatory control.  I will be ready for the discussion of when, how and where if we ever get there. 

I have also been known to be a pretty good shot with a recurve. 
    post edited by dpms - 2011/04/27 13:26:29

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 13:56:24 (permalink)

OK, I think. Hunting on Sunday is being hunter friendly and what firearm challenges does NY have rather than shotgun only in some areas much like Pa ? Just curious ?

????????????????????????????????
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Hunting 2011/04/27 15:11:43 (permalink)
    Do a quick search of New York City gun laws.  Mayor Bloomberg would love for none of us to own guns. 

Really would rather not get into the specifics.  Just takes away from the nature of this thread.  Just an example of how political influence from non-hunters/anti-gun folks hurts our cause as hunters. 
    post edited by dpms - 2011/04/27 15:15:01

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: