Spring Steelies Found!! Fresh Chrome Adventure!

Author
paul2ski
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/26 09:37:28 (permalink)

Spring Steelies Found!! Fresh Chrome Adventure!

Now, I know most of you have given up on steelies for the season... and I completely understand. But, I am leaving the Erie area soon and have been trying to get out as much as possible.

I have been doing very well on various streams over the past few weeks. There are definitely still steelies in the streams as well as a few fresh ones coming in. But don't get me wrong, in areas that have held 1000's of fish in the past there may only be between 5-15 fish. So the average fisherman would only luck into one. The seasoned vet however can consistently catch them still. Plus at the moment there are a variety of species in the creeks, lots of suckers, some weird carp looking fish, and I have seen two small mouth bass caught already.

A little story, I was fighting a fish on a west side stream, at first thought it was a HUGE sucker because this thing wasn't fighting at all like a steely... but after about 15 minutes of the fish basically sitting in one spot I got it close to the net... saw it was a BIG steely... who apparently doesn't like nets as he woke up and took me into my backing (11lb test line, 8wt rod) almost instantly, managed to get him to the net 2 more times before the fish decided to unhook itself *tear... This fish was a BIG fresh steely, but alas it wasn't his day. Went back to this stream a few days later, was landing another fish as 3 people walked down from upstream... saw this HUGE fresh steely this guy had landed and knew instantly that was the same fish, hooked in the same location I hooked it... I wish I wld have taken a picture of it, it was the largest fish I had seen caught all season, by estimation as I had caught a 35in 15lb fish earlier this season... this fish was around 37-38in and about 17-18lbs... this thing looked like fish on steroids... a big, brawny steely! I was bummed that I hadn't landed this big guy a few days earlier, but was happy someone caught him... (although I wld have snapped a few pics and put him back in the water)

Karma... so I got out yesterday and the water was a little high from all this rain we have been getting, apparently its monsoon season in Erie... but I ended up almost limiting out with 4 steelies, the last of which was another big fresh fish... measured at 31.5in and approximately 12lbs!!

I got very lucky that some curious youngsters (high school kids) came back to investigate my catch, which helped me so I could get a picture snapped with this beautiful thing! I thanked these kids, and I thank you guys again if you read this, gave them some flies and advice to have a better chance to catch something, showed them how to set it up and gave them my spot! Hopefully they got something as at that point it had been raining all day and I was soaked so I didn't stay!

I may try and get out a few more times, but steely season is coming to an end and my year and a half off between college and work is also coming to an end. It has been a great time, met a lot of great fisherman, had a blast catching fish, as there is no other feeling like it, you could be having the worst day of your life, hook a steely and instantly forget about all your worries. Thank you guys and thank you Erie... I hope to come back to visit for future fishing adventures!
post edited by paul2ski - 2011/04/26 10:18:39

10 Replies Related Threads

beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Spring Steelies Found!! Fresh Chrome Adventure! 2011/04/26 10:45:28 (permalink)
    Great picture and thanks for sharing the story.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Spring Steelies Found!! Fresh Chrome Adventure! 2011/04/26 11:10:49 (permalink)
    30lber ? really ! thats way over the record, bet it was closer to 20, more likley a 15lber. If it really was over 20 thats very rare for LE.  
    paul2ski
    Novice Angler
    RE: Spring Steelies Found!! Fresh Chrome Adventure! 2011/04/26 11:39:00 (permalink)
    not trying to be racist but did anyone check to see if it was black? The fish's mouth that is there are still a few salmon around, could possibly have been a king salmon... about 7-8 years ago I used to fish the wall a lot, hooked a fish at walnut that jumped straight out of the water, got a good look at it... had to have been at least 25 lbs... have never seen a fish in person that big before or after... there were like 5-6 people in the general area around me, but no one else saw me fighting the fish or it jump out of the water... and as I tried to land it... it took one look at me once I got it close to the wall and took off, now I do not, will not admit this was a steelhead as I never got it in far enough to see, but I was a lil guy back then (highshcool) and that fish was over half the size of me.

Lastly, that article about the "frankenfish" may or may not have been an April fools joke, but it is a fact that a fish that would have crushed the state record was recovered dead on the side of the creek at Elk...(I believe it weighed in at about 25 lbs) there are/was pictures of it at the Elk Creek gas station / bait shop. Also, I did fight a fish at Elk this season that would have easily tipped the scales at about 18lbs... trust me I chased after that fish for over 300 yards, almost fell into a hole, but dang fish got under an overhang and dragged the line across the rocks... broke me off! That day was epic tho as I didnt land a fish under 10lbs that day.

Anyone else fight or land any big fish this season?
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Spring Steelies Found!! Fresh Chrome Adventure! 2011/04/26 16:00:20 (permalink)
    That 30# probably had 12 points also. Many that I have lost at the bank were at least that big; at least how I remember them...WF
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Spring Steelies Found!! Fresh Chrome Adventure! 2011/04/26 17:29:47 (permalink)
    Really... lol. 
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Spring Steelies Found!! Fresh Chrome Adventure! 2011/04/26 17:35:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: paul2ski

..... this thing wasn't fighting at all like a steely...

... saw it was a BIG steely...

...This fish was a BIG fresh steely...

... saw this HUGE fresh steely

... a big, brawny steely! ...

...steely season is coming to an end ...

This gave me a complex.......  I'm not gonna sleep tonight now .....Think I'll change my screen name.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Spring Steelies Found!! Fresh Chrome Adventure! 2011/04/26 20:33:59 (permalink)

not trying to be racist but did anyone check to see if it was black? The fish's mouth that is there are still a few salmon around, could possibly have been a king salmon... about 7-8 years ago I used to fish the wall a lot, hooked a fish at walnut that jumped straight out of the water, got a good look at it... had to have been at least 25 lbs... have never seen a fish in person that big before or after... there were like 5-6 people in the general area around me, but no one else saw me fighting the fish or it jump out of the water... and as I tried to land it... it took one look at me once I got it close to the wall and took off, now I do not, will not admit this was a steelhead as I never got it in far enough to see, but I was a lil guy back then (highshcool) and that fish was over half the size of me.

Lastly, that article about the "frankenfish" may or may not have been an April fools joke, but it is a fact that a fish that would have crushed the state record was recovered dead on the side of the creek at Elk...(I believe it weighed in at about 25 lbs) there are/was pictures of it at the Elk Creek gas station / bait shop. Also, I did fight a fish at Elk this season that would have easily tipped the scales at about 18lbs... trust me I chased after that fish for over 300 yards, almost fell into a hole, but dang fish got under an overhang and dragged the line across the rocks... broke me off! That day was epic tho as I didnt land a fish under 10lbs that day.

Anyone else fight or land any big fish this season?

Ski, you can say the word "Black". Until you brought it up, nobody would have even thought of it. You could leave the word "Racist" out next time. You made something where there wasn't anything. Just say'n!

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    paul2ski
    Novice Angler
    RE: Spring Steelies Found!! Fresh Chrome Adventure! 2011/04/26 21:19:35 (permalink)
    yes yes... good call... but it was suppose to be a joke... guess you didn't get it, fish humor

Now lets not turn this into a debate about racists or the word black.

Anyone else catch any big fish this season?
    post edited by paul2ski - 2011/04/26 21:48:15
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Spring Steelies Found!! Fresh Chrome Adventure! 2011/04/26 23:49:02 (permalink)

... guess you didn't get it

We all "got it"...it just aint "fish humor" as you put it..and not funny....

if we made trailer park jokes about steelmutts...u might b offended

Nice feesh tho...bust em mup

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    PatrickC
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Spring Steelies Found!! Fresh Chrome Adventure! 2011/04/27 17:42:14 (permalink)
    Hate to see you leaving Erie Paul. Hope you are able to get back to fish some. It's been a pleasure fishing with you. You're a class act on the stream!

When my fly is down...I'm having a good day!
    Jump to: