Author
flyfisherman22
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 273
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/25 15:06:25 (permalink)

Bead fishing

Hey guys,
came across this article and thought you guys might be interested. Its about the banning of bead fishing in Oregon and Northern California.

http://bloodknot.net/2011/04/beading-off-lame****bead-fishing-getting-banned-in-oregonnor-cal/
post edited by flyfisherman22 - 2011/04/25 15:07:19

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish."
~ John H. Bradley

23 Replies Related Threads

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/25 15:11:07 (permalink)
    it's banned in montana also. i wore mine but it didn't do any good. the chicks that were fishing in the cold conditions would of taken an hour just to get to their bra
    post edited by doubletaper - 2011/04/25 15:16:17

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/25 15:12:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: doubletaper

it's banned in montana also. i wore mine but it didn't do any good. the chicks that were fishing in the cold conditions would of taken an hour just to get to there bra

Hey it was worth a try tho

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish."
    ~ John H. Bradley
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/25 16:22:28 (permalink)
    where's the dead horse?

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/25 18:50:33 (permalink)
    He was being beat to death in all of the Presque Isle thread.
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/25 21:13:50 (permalink)
    There no bobbers, indicators, beach balls or any other type of crap on your line in fly fishing.
    Line, Leader, Fly(s). A split shot if the current is ripping.

If you need more than that, then your wasting your money buying fly gear.
    Get a noodle pole, save your money, and I'd also bet, you'll catch more fish.
    flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/26 13:13:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FlashDance

There no bobbers, indicators, beach balls or any other type of crap on your line in fly fishing.

So you mean to tell me, that many of the guys on these boards arent "fly fisherman" including myself, because your belief that something that aids the fisherman on short almost silent strikes, makes him a non fly fisherman? hmm im just gonna beg to differ.

~ John H. Bradley
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/26 17:38:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: flyfisherman22

So you mean to tell me, that many of the guys on these boards arent "fly fisherman" including myself, because your belief that something that aids the fisherman on short almost silent strikes, makes him a non fly fisherman? hmm im just gonna beg to differ.

That's what he said it is float fishing with a Fly rod which is what 99% of the "Fly" fisherman in Erie do.

LakeErieMonster
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/26 17:42:56 (permalink)
    99 percent of these guys are basically bobber fishing from what I hear from the boating guys.  I hear if you don't reel in your lines, they will run your stuff right over and they think it's funny?  YOU ever hear of people doing anything like that nuke?
    LakeErieMonster
    Novice Angler
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/26 17:46:50 (permalink)
    I can attest to one thing.  In my 2(5) years of talking to guys of fly fishing, they say bigger floats, even the big thingabobber thingy, DOES suspend your offering, however, smaller thingies, do not.

I can also attest to the fact that, through word of mouth of course, that the luxury of not having to reel in to cast could be behind the reasoning these guys fish bait off fly rods.  sO, they want to look cool for one, get a nice drift, and reel less.  Why batter the guys for it?  Funny how half of you guys scream it's just fishing, yet make remarks like this.
    flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/26 19:30:13 (permalink)
    So wait, let me get this straight! If a guy that is using a fly rod and reel, using an idicator, it means they are bait fishing? i can personally say i havent thrown any type of bait from my fly rod since i was maybe 7. if people do it, who cares, what makes any technique better than any other, NOTHING. if ya have fun doing it WTH cares about what anyone else thinks IMO.

~ John H. Bradley
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/26 20:05:11 (permalink)
    Not bait fishing, but definately BOBBER fishing. I won't put guys down for BOBBER fishing with a fly rod ( done it myself ). But if you're gonna fish anything ( including flys ) under a BOBBER, you are BOBBER fishing, and could do it more effectively with a noodle rod.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/26 20:21:08 (permalink)
    This is what I've asked before. If you have a fly rod and put a single egg on it, are you a still a fly fisherman? If you have a noodle rod and put a fly on it, are you now a fly fisherman?

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    LakeErieMonster
    Novice Angler
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/27 12:50:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Not bait fishing, but definately BOBBER fishing. I won't put guys down for BOBBER fishing with a fly rod ( done it myself ). But if you're gonna fish anything ( including flys ) under a BOBBER, you are BOBBER fishing, and could do it more effectively with a noodle rod.

some would say a pin.
    LakeErieMonster
    Novice Angler
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/27 12:51:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Split Shot

If you have a noodle rod and put a fly on it, are you now a fly fisherman?

no you need sims and your last name should be that kid that builds rods.
    Lovgren69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/27 13:18:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: LakeErieMonster

99 percent of these guys are basically bobber fishing from what I hear from the boating guys.  I hear if you don't reel in your lines, they will run your stuff right over and they think it's funny?  YOU ever hear of people doing anything like that nuke?

I'm an avid boater and I think that I can speak for the majority of boaters here--so NO, we don't find it funny if and when we have to run somebody's line over while leaving the marina.

Rules dictate that boaters have the right of way, and anglers must pull their lines in when boats are entering/leaving the marina's. Most of the boaters sound their horns as a courtesy to the anglers, but inevitably some anglers negelect or refuse to do so.

If you get fishing line wrapped under your prop or outdrive, it can cause major damage to the seals and bearings in your hub. So to answer your question, no it is not funny in the least to us boaters.

MeTaLaNgLeR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/27 14:29:44 (permalink)
    tru dat
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/28 06:19:49 (permalink)

Look, I've been fly fishing since I was able to walk. No exaggeration there. Caught my first trout on Caldwell Creek when I was 6. I'm 42 now. At some point in the late 90s, one of my brothers showed me how to rig up a glo bug at Neshannock Creek. We caught a mess a fish that day. Is if fun? Sure. Does it work? Sure. Is it fly fishing? NO. Drift fishing. That's a good way to explain it.

If I take my 10' noodle pole and rig it the same exact way, not only is it easier to cast, but I get a better "drift" and catch more fish. Try it and I'll bet you'll agree.

As far as Fly Fisherman in Erie,there are very few. 7 out of 10 guys that I see on Elk and Walnut Creek shouldn't have a fly rod in there hand. Most do a better job of spooking the fish with their line than they do of even drift fishing. Most would find that if they used the same flys on a noodle rod, and kept their tip up and line off the water, then they would catch more fish and have a lot more fun.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/28 07:50:26 (permalink)
    Sounds like you may have been schooled a time or two by a fly guy with a bobber. Dont hate the player hate the game.
    post edited by rollcaster - 2011/04/28 07:51:24
    LakeErieMonster
    Novice Angler
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/28 08:12:46 (permalink)

Look, I've been fly fishing since I was able to walk. No exaggeration there. Caught my first trout on Caldwell Creek when I was 6. I'm 42 now. At some point in the late 90s, one of my brothers showed me how to rig up a glo bug at Neshannock Creek. We caught a mess a fish that day. Is if fun? Sure. Does it work? Sure. Is it fly fishing? NO. Drift fishing. That's a good way to explain it.

If I take my 10' noodle pole and rig it the same exact way, not only is it easier to cast, but I get a better "drift" and catch more fish. Try it and I'll bet you'll agree.

As far as Fly Fisherman in Erie,there are very few. 7 out of 10 guys that I see on Elk and Walnut Creek shouldn't have a fly rod in there hand. Most do a better job of spooking the fish with their line than they do of even drift fishing. Most would find that if they used the same flys on a noodle rod, and kept their tip up and line off the water, then they would catch more fish and have a lot more fun.

I agree about one thing here; a massive influx of pseudo fly fisherman in not only erie, but local streams as well.  I wasn't aware enough in the 90's when the surge hit accompanied by the movie, "A river runs..", but it seems to be becoming a trend once again.  Since I started fly fishing a few years ago, I've noticed more each year.

However flash, from me and my boy's experiences', this is purely a subjective perspective. Casting a fly rod, for me anyway, is much faster and easier than a spin rod, and if you know how to high stick, correctly, the drifts harbor equality.  If people would learn some simple single-handed spey casts and fly line/leader placement, less spooking would happen.  I don't do it to be cool, but the spey casts truly cut down on water disturbance.  It also cuts down on the number of roll casts it takes to get your offering out there.

I would also say that a centre-pin gets the deadliest drift over any other method of fishing.  The masses on here seem to think that a pinner is always outfitted with a 11+ ft. rod and always makes drifts downstream.  An experienced centre-pinner can cast a quarter up, retrieve line as the drift comes toward him to keep all line off the water with a stiff 9 ft. rod, and then a small trott to turn the fly over and downstream, presentation first for the downstream aspect of it all.  I'll also note that most experienced pinners do not even fish with bait, but rather flies, jigs, etc. They also respect zones, and I stand firm when I say that someone 2-handed swinging flies is more of an annoyance than a centre-pinner.

sorry Swinger, but, me > you w. the exception of your lingo and tying capabilities. 

there was one helluva quote in a signature a very gnarly dude once had on these boards, by Art Lee, something about the methodical quartering of wets downstream being not of nemesis, but of butler.  I understand this is Latin to some of you who think the bugs comings out of the water are all mosquitoes haha.

btw... I just bought stock in the generic manufacturer of valium by Qualitest, so please people, if your pharmacies are not carrying this, switch for me.  My boy needs more wax worms and we picked all the crawlers in the tri-county area dry this year.
    post edited by LakeErieMonster - 2011/04/28 08:19:53
    flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/28 13:11:50 (permalink)

post edited by flyfisherman22 - 2011/04/28 13:57:25

~ John H. Bradley
    LakeErieMonster
    Novice Angler
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/28 13:54:36 (permalink)
    lol
    LakeErieMonster
    Novice Angler
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/28 13:57:07 (permalink)
    "i been fishing with flies for 60 years and i'm telling you what."
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    RE: Bead fishing 2011/04/28 21:29:19 (permalink)
    Mr. Monster, other than the casting issue, I'd say we agree completely.

Rollcast, obviously you have met my brothers. They school me over and over again. But that's ok. It's fun, which is the point of doing it to begin with. Although, if one has a fly pole in hand, the other probably does as well.

Jump to: