April 23 & 24

Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/24 23:39:05 (permalink)

April 23 & 24

Got there bout 3 AM on sat the 23rd. Slept in a bit and fished a feeder for several hours. Saw 2 fish spawning- left them alone- That was IT. Thirteenth of last month there were dozens pre-spawn in the same mile or two so I guess that its over for the season in that feeder stream. Fished upriver later in the day with no results. Same story on Easter Sunday the 24th, bugged out around 6 pm for CT.
   Felt like a pair of brown shoes at a formal dance. I know there are fish there but I never saw anybody else hook up and I never even got a hit. Tried everything.
  Got  home and read all the HOT reports and good luck stories. Oh well, there is always next trip for a cast and blast with Turkey and Steel.
Thoroughly enjoyed the trip cause its the fishing not the fish that counts. Decent weather- no snow- very few bugs. Met some cordial fishermen too. Felt like being on a different planet with no snow or ice.
   Looked like VERY little pressure on the river except up around Altmar where its modest.  Guess I shoulda taken my own advice and fished very low--next time -might even go to the poo pool.

BTW- went back to the 9wt rod in the heavier water- felt fine. That 1500 looked a lot deeper with runoff and was a bit murkey.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/25 00:25:14

29 Replies Related Threads

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/25 04:50:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for the straight up report RT.

It was very enlightening.

especially the bit about the Brown Shoes.

After all these years, I finally found the reason why no girls would ever dance with me...

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/25 05:48:57 (permalink)
    Well there's always next time...in most cases; no fish while fishing is better than not fishing at all :)
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/25 18:07:49 (permalink)
    We were up Saturday as well. Caught a couple in smaller diversions around islands but spooked more than we caught. Saw some that were real beat up and left them alone. Throwin crawlers and that spooked many. Looks like time to wait for next season for us.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/25 21:21:18 (permalink)
    Sounds like spring is getting the best of everyone :) bring on the negative reports...lol
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/26 08:49:19 (permalink)
    Dime - I know you are joking, but seasons end - even though some folks that make their living off the river hope to ring their cash registers once or twice more before the biting flies take over the river..

Yup - there is a "chance" to land one (of the ten or so) magificant man-made summer-run Skamania...

although, IMO - you'd have better odds buying a Powerball ticket..

Time to chill down the beers, and fire up the Wally Rigs...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/26 12:05:51 (permalink)
       Good observations Drake- you can set your Spring clock by the "oh yea and now the Summer runs are showing up in good numbers' stories.
        The Syracuse paper had a reporter out with a guy last year fishing Summer Run on the SR and he caught his first fish in FOUR years of trying. The press was with him. Got some neat photos they put in the paper  along with a very nice story about the guy and the fish--- Four Years.
        Personally- I have a very nice time with crawlers in the Summer on the lower river fishing Smallmouth from time to time.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/26 12:07:29
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/27 11:37:58 (permalink)
      Sorry bout this but Drakes correct observation fired me up---
       WOW- did I ever miss the "best action of the entire year"?
    An dopy me thought late Oct an Nov were good for Steel.
    Mayhap  it is but poor interpretation of the word Year as it pertains to the issue at hand- do we mean just 2011 or the year as viewed by the Oct to Oct lisence year? Must have forgotten my handbook for interpreting commercial reports.
    Personally have always viewed the "year" as from late August till about the time Steel go away for the Summer. Then another "Year " starts for me when the Sharks return. All open to how ya look at it- orrrr read the handbook.
    Sometimes it just gets me so "hot" I'm 'on fire' -ya know like last  week-  when 'mixed reports' were made by "the guys".
    Some are gonna write back about a bad attitude and that 90-10 thing but you know I always say I'm not the best out there and always report what I see as well as what I do.
    Gotta explain the attitude.
      Many years ago when this wallet was much thinner there was a report from a shop up there about the Skamania being so prolific that "even the kids are catching them".
    Went right up -made reservations-took time from work and family-spent some bucks that were not abundant and went right to that shop for the right tackle and stuff to get in on the ACTION.
      When I asked they looked at me like I was the one who was 'nuts'.  "Havennnt heaaaaard bout any Summer runs yeeaat".
    Paid what I had to on the room I didnt use - 600 miles and 12 hours later got back home- and SWORE NEVER to believe a commercial shops stuff again-PERIOD.
    Another time a friend and I fished the low end for 3 days and came home to read a commercial report that the recent Shark run had been "fantastic, so now its the time to come up"". We and those around us were pretty much skunked for 3 whole days and the report was for the Middle day right exactly where we had been.
    I listen to you guys cause you report what you do and see and have no $$$$$$ interest in it..
      The only exception, I believe, is that of the Boat guys on the river and a few 'regulars' who know the place intimately. Because of their unique ability to move in places we dont get to and to have a daily intimate knowledge of whats up they can  clearly  be far more productive that most of us.
    I always read those Commercial things but only take advice from the Guys reports and or the boat folks.

post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/27 13:33:48
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/27 13:26:41 (permalink)
    RT--haven't been out in a while(**** kids/work keep me too busy), but most w/ boats have been reporting hot action---I know Gottum has been doing double digits every day. As for sharks the Old regime at dougies place would talk to alot of people when they left and blend it w/ what they saw on the water---I always found it to b pretty accurate---and yes this time of the year can provide fantastic fishing--just gotta find em.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/27 13:31:01 (permalink)
    Agree Metal - but I try and put myself in the place of the NEW guy whos reading some of this stuff -having been there and seen some of the "stuff" myself.
    BTW -was editing and adding a paragraph bout the boat guys and regulars while you were writing your response. I dont include them as the 'Commercial' reports and tried to be clear about it.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/27 13:37:49
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/27 14:13:58 (permalink)
    Rumor has it the entire river is heating up with fish everywhere... but remember... you can be fishing one spot and catch nothig but 30 yards across and down from you is holding 100 fish... go get em boys because im stuck right now and can't make it...
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/27 15:16:42 (permalink)
    Yrs ago I was fishing the LB and nothing for an hr so I left to go further up river--I didn't know it at the time but a HAPPY friend of mine was killing them in the Town Pool at the same time----I later found out that they dropped in a lil while after I left---the guy(that stayed) hit like 10 in an hr.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/27 17:08:20 (permalink)
        Thats whats great about hearing from 'the guys' you get the good and the bad of whats really going on.
      I said this same stuff about those reports about a year ago and started a big fight-  really dont want that to happen again but we all have our issues with different stuff and gotta be honest about it.
      To me fishing is always great wether there are fish biting or not.
       Hey Dime- hope you can get up for some drops cause they seem to be falling back now. Might not be able myself for another week or two unless a miracle happens.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/27 17:11:45
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/27 19:17:10 (permalink)
    Hey- got a neat story -just happened  
      Dont fish here for trout the first week or two to avoid the crowds. Tried it tonight right after my last post for a quick trip to a very brush choked small stream that holds fish nicely. Started fishing there with Gramps bout 55/60 years ago.
       Parked and went down about 100 yds to an area of very thick briars & brush most dont get into. There was a guy just getting into it standing right in the water. I took a wide briar filled loop around him and fished a small hole about another 75 yds downstream.
      After a short time here he comes-fished right into the top of the small pool,  his lure was falling right beside where I stood a couple of feet back from the edge.
       Took the 'high road' and as he walked around on the other side said Hi and nice night for it to him- he responded nicely and then turned and walked directly over  to the pool I was fishing -stood right on the edge and looked in to the pool for a while.
        Then he loudly cracked brush right to the bottom tailout of the pool and started trying to fish through the brush, about 6 feet from where my bait tailed out of the back of the pool,
       Now- I can generally just move on and chalk it up to another rude guy on the stream.
       Not tonight-
      I called him on it and he went WILD. I was done anyhow- night ruined by someones bad behavior -so left him standing there Yelling and shouting and waving his arms around-- WOW.  If your gonna act like that now and then you gotta know your gonna get called on it. It was actually kinda funny.
    Was putting my stuff in the truck shortly after and here he comes charging up the road for more yelling and arm waving-- I left him there like that.
      It can get dangerous out there guys-- The last time I was in a fistfight it was with a guy who had just shot  a few people  and left one  dead-this wasnt up to that standard so chose to see the humor in it and move on.
       Been fishing that little brook longer that that little guy has been alive. Just hope he didnt put on 50 lbs or so of muscle tonight cause the next guy might not have a sense of humor.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/27 19:31:47
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/27 20:03:44 (permalink)
    Just got some pontoons and next week off. Im gonna be all over butt hole I mean black hole.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/27 21:35:11 (permalink)
    Good luck Johnny- they say waters up tomorrow but it goes up and down so much this time year wouldn't worry bout it. Might actually help- high aint my cupa tea but some say fishing's great on it.
      Someday I,m gonna hire a drift guide like Randy on the high stuff and learn the right way to fish it.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/28 19:08:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Thats whats great about hearing from 'the guys' you get the good and the bad of whats really going on.
      Hey Dime- hope you can get up for some drops cause they seem to be falling back now. Might not be able myself for another week or two unless a miracle happens.

Hey retired I hope so too... its looking pretty tight for me... plan on using my season pass 2 more times before may 9th... that'll make me happy. Its a shame that I didn't use any of my complimentary passes this steelhead season.. and good luck johnny, I have a pintoon also, they're great in nice weather; I always try to hit a few floats in summer time when they do the releases for the yakkers....
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/28 19:30:47 (permalink)
    My Wife and I did the Kayak thing on the upper river last Summer- GREAT -only thing was the water was very low and it made it a bit difficult on some of the runs. Learned a lot of river I had never seen before.
      Good fishing Dime
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/28 19:31:33
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/29 07:02:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: metalslayer

but most w/ boats have been reporting hot action---I know Gottum has been doing double digits every day.

If you have a driftboat, and are not able to do "DDD's" (Drop-Back Double Digits), you better hang up the oars and get a regular job.

Dropbacks - so easy a caveman can do it....
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/29 07:09:08 (permalink)

a HAPPY friend of mine was killing them in the Town Pool at the same time

How did you find him?
    follow the trail of empty Natty Ice cans?

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/29 07:16:57 (permalink)

Someday I,m gonna hire a drift guide like Randy on the high stuff and learn the right way to fish it.

disclaimer: This is NOT a SLAM on RJ....

RT: fishing high water on the SR is no different than fishing high water on any other stream. Read the seams and look for the slack water.

the only diff is that the SR has the custom-made diversion channels....

sort of like shooting a raccon that is a guest in a Have-a-Heart trap...

I find the hero reports written by Guides (ALL GUIDES) this time of year, to be absolutely comical..

your mileage may vary.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/29 07:26:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

but most w/ boats have been reporting hot action---I know Gottum has been doing double digits every day.

If you have a driftboat, and are not able to do "DDD's" (Drop-Back Double Digits), you better hang up the oars and get a regular job.

Dropbacks - so easy a caveman can do it....

Hey drake; you are generalizing a little bit... if they were that easy it would be shoulder to shoulder in late march through may. God bless mother nature and and her natural deterrents is all I will say...btw, you heading up at all in spring/ summer months? I've heard you talk about walleyes... where do you go oneida?
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/29 08:00:07 (permalink)
    DB - have you taken a good hard look at the upper river??

Shoulder to shoulder is an understatement...

Now it looks like a Walmart parrking lot with all the boats...

Wally's?
    for the most part - I fish Oneida and Oswego harbor - under the cover of darkness...

I will be up for a full week mid-May,,,

I'll drop you a PM if you want to give it a try...

Beers ( and a complimentary good luck stick-bait lure) are on me...
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/29 20:31:06 (permalink)

Beers ( and a complimentary good luck stick-bait lure) are on me...

Any Tues or Sat night ;)

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/04/30 01:16:05 (permalink)
    As long as im around.... monday Tuesday wednesday thursday friday saturday; im down.... I know a few nice large mouth spots too..
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/05/02 22:20:45 (permalink)
    What happenin-  river go dry or somethin?
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/03 00:10:27
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/05/03 08:01:39 (permalink)
    Nuttin against the river RT.

I just feel like sitting next to a lake, drinkiin beers under the cover of darkness, and listening to the loons
    (i.e. - Dimebrite & Metalslayer).
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/05/03 10:59:11 (permalink)
    If ya wanna try loons go to some of those hunting boards
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/05/03 13:04:08 (permalink)
    ...people say im no good and crazy as a loon 'cause I get drunk in the morning and get stoned in the afternoon...

Hey re-re; im sure its hot in some areas, unfortunately my business and life are throwing major curve balls at me; so far I've hit a few out of the park ;) looks like I can't make it anytime soon though... 70 hour work weeks and the fam... mothers day this weekend.... its not looking good...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: April 23 & 24 2011/05/03 13:33:12 (permalink)
    In this economy - WORK when ya can.
    Jump to: