TURKEY BLINDS

Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/20 08:27:44 (permalink)

TURKEY BLINDS

I own the predator den right now but don't seem to be able to get it dark enough inside of it.I wanted to try to kill a turkey with a bow this year so i been looking at the dark horse and the crusher blind.I went to cabela's last night to get my daughter some boots for saturday but just couldn't drop 300 or 400 on a blind.It just seem these two blinds material is heavier making them alot darker inside not sure though.If anybody got either of them please give me some in sight.

22 Replies Related Threads

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/20 14:26:00 (permalink)
    I bought several Remington blinds at Wal-Mart on clearance for $30. Exact same as the Doghouse and also made by Ameristep. No problems hunting turkeys out of them...........http://ameristep.com/blinds/doghouse.html
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/20 15:19:13 (permalink)
       Have taken a number with the bow- It is absolutely the best outdoor harvest IMHO. Be prepared to drop the bow and chase them down even with a decent hit. I use my worn 125 thunderheads- no pin changes that way from Deer season. That said 'practice' shooting targets low to the ground-its different.
        Fall Turkey are very stalkable in the woods. You will be surprised how close you can get 'stillhunting' a flock.I like to walk the ridges till coming across scratchings then try and get ahead of the flock. repeat repeat repeat till you get the shot. Makes a great day. Even if they bust they get right together again. I have busted them on purpose then called some back -they WANT to get back together and call easily.
    Spring is another matter altogether. Personally I dont like manufactured blinds although I have used them. I make blinds before the season in feeding areas and strutting areas and near known roosts. The 'blind' is generally only a one sided or L shaped affair that gives me room to maneuver around one side or the other depending on where the bird comes from- just enough cover to draw more or less behind something. A cluster of 3 or 4 small trees is a great starting spot.
      Murphys law says that inside the manufactured blind the bird will come around a blind side. I just cant sit there all day in a 'setup' waiting them out-gotta workem a bit and move around.
       The only manufactured that I do use from time to time is spring loaded and as you throw it away from you it pops up to a full blind. Its quick and rapidly rolls into a backpack affair for the ability to move about. I keep that one in the truck  and use it mostly on wet days. Not big enough to stand up and shoot though-practice practice.     Different strokes.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/20 15:35:10
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/20 16:29:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Have taken a number with the bow- It is absolutely the best outdoor harvest IMHO. Be prepared to drop the bow and chase them down even with a decent hit. I use my worn 125 thunderheads- no pin changes that way from Deer season. That said 'practice' shooting targets low to the ground-its different.
       Fall Turkey are very stalkable in the woods. You will be surprised how close you can get 'stillhunting' a flock.I like to walk the ridges till coming across scratchings then try and get ahead of the flock. repeat repeat repeat till you get the shot. Makes a great day. Even if they bust they get right together again. I have busted them on purpose then called some back -they WANT to get back together and call easily.
    Spring is another matter altogether. Personally I dont like manufactured blinds although I have used them. I make blinds before the season in feeding areas and strutting areas and near known roosts. The 'blind' is generally only a one sided or L shaped affair that gives me room to maneuver around one side or the other depending on where the bird comes from- just enough cover to draw more or less behind something. A cluster of 3 or 4 small trees is a great starting spot.
    Murphys law says that inside the manufactured blind the bird will come around a blind side. I just cant sit there all day in a 'setup' waiting them out-gotta workem a bit and move around.
      The only manufactured that I do use from time to time is spring loaded and as you throw it away from you it pops up to a full blind. Its quick and rapidly rolls into a backpack affair for the ability to move about. I keep that one in the truck  and use it mostly on wet days. Not big enough to stand up and shoot though-practice practice.     Different strokes.

Not legal in Pa to make a blind from natural materials. The "Doghouse" is a packable spring loaded blind as you described.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/20 21:06:06 (permalink)
        Hey OA can you explain that one further. I travel hunting a lot and could easily miss something like that in a law book.
      Should point out I never use nails or wire  when making a blind if thats where PA is coming from..  Real careful about stuff like 'what I leave behind" in the woods. Use  deadfall to make a cover out of natural stuff.  Like it and it works well IMHO- actually think that kind of cover  being all natural blends better and is a better hideout than the commercial stuff- something about being natural appeals to me very much even if it cost me a shot. Some of my 'birdnest' rifle blinds for deer -complete with overhead  and all covered in leaves are almost impossible to see- even close up- they blend.
       Truly believe its the hunting not the killing that makes our sport so great. Got some  original American,  think it makes me hunt  a bit differently than some , has to do with respect for whats hunted and the land it lives on.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/20 21:38:22
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/20 21:57:59 (permalink)
    This is current regs for turkey blinds in Pa...

Regulations:
    In both spring and fall seasons, it is unlawful to possess or use live turkeys
    as decoys, or to drive or use electronic callers or devices. Dogs can
    be used to hunt turkeys during the fall season but not during the spring.
    Blinds: The use of turkey blinds is legal under the following definition:
    Any artificial or manufactured turkey blind consisting of all man-made
    materials of sufficient density to block the detection of movement within
    the blind from an observer outside the blind. Artificial or manufactured
    turkey blinds consisting of all man-made materials means blinds must be
    constructed of plastic, nylon, canvas, cotton cloth, plywood or other manmade
    materials. Blinds made by piling rocks, logs, branches, etc. are
    unlawful. The blind must completely enclose the hunter on all four sides
    and from above to block the detection of movement within the blind.
    When fluorescent orange is required at a stationary calling location in
    fall seasons, at least 100 square inches must be displayed outside the
    blind and within 15 feet of the blind, visible 360 degrees.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/21 08:56:57 (permalink)
    Thanks OA--thats nuts
     You can make a plywood shanty in the woods but cant lean a few sticks against a fallen tree to break your outline. DOPY DOPY DOPY- am still learning why you guys complain.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/21 09:00:10
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/21 09:37:25 (permalink)
    The PGC has some strange regs. Those who challenge their regs are considered BASHERS ! You know what I mean ? As far as as a dead fall don't modify it or you might be sitting in front of your local magistrate from the results of your friendly WCO. Unless of course you have special privileges.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/21 12:50:56 (permalink)
    OA- Am sitting here trying to figure out some reasonable explanation of why a State would make such a regulation.  There must be a reason but honestly cannot come up with anything other than they may be afraid somebody will start cutting live trees to make  a blind. That however would have been made simple by just saying ' no cutting live trees". You know -like the boy Scout Handbook-basic stuff.
    At the risk of sounding like many on these boards ( I am rapidly beginning to understand their frustrations) I can only think that this regulation  is quite a big deal for the commercial businesses selling and making blinds.
      As a Scoutmaster for  long time one of the things we commonly taught the kids was how to make shelters from natural stuff without cutting live stuff. Kinda basic outdoor manners.
      Guess if they do that in your state they will all get pinched. Along with any kid  making a 'fort' to play in.  Over-regulation to a fault.
       Sounds kinda like a bit of Forestry protection gone wild along with people making a reg who have no idea whatsoever what they are talking about. You know---modern 'conservationists' who have never stepped off of pavement in their lives.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/21 12:56:37
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/22 00:22:04 (permalink)
    I agree with tree cutting but thing is, you CAN'T make a natural blind(dead or live trees) even on your own property. RSB is a WCO maybe he would like to comment on this ?
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/22 09:34:50 (permalink)
    Only thing I could see is if some "slob hunter" would spot movement in some thick brush (aka, natural blind material) you may get shot, where as they should be able to identify a store bought blind. I agree, that's not much of an excuse, people should not be shooting at movement but that's the only explanation I could think of...

Could be wrong, but I don't think you're allowed to hunt them from an elevated blind either. OA?
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/22 11:17:37 (permalink)
    Bulldog- thought of that one while trying to use common sense in figuring out the reg.
       The only issue I had with it is they left out bullet proof vests for all hunters as well.
      If anybody ever said they made a reg like the one Pa has  for hunter protection I think they  would be talking out of the wrong orifice.
     Get the impression you were at wits end trying to come up with a reasonable explanation too.
      Think the BSA thing about cutting live trees was probably the catalyst (at least it makes some sense) but it would appear they went overboard with it. I see a lot of Forestry influence in your deer regs ( be it appropriate or not according to that recent post from the 'expert').  That brings me back to the possible heavy influence of outside $$$$ in PA deer philosophy.
       Too bad that your boards have the appearance of involving various business interests with Hunting. Yes they can try and say its for overall Forrest interests,but PVT owners too?, that kind of mutes their possible reasoning.
       I think I'm gonna get off of this one cause I'm no longer a PA hunter and am getting too involved with somebody elses fight.--Just hate to hear dopy stuff.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/22 12:01:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bulldog1

Only thing I could see is if some "slob hunter" would spot movement in some thick brush (aka, natural blind material) you may get shot, where as they should be able to identify a store bought blind. I agree, that's not much of an excuse, people should not be shooting at movement but that's the only explanation I could think of...

Could be wrong, but I don't think you're allowed to hunt them from an elevated blind either. OA?

I see no law that permits a hunter fom using a treestand for spring gobbler. All materials are man made. Although natural blinds are permitted for hunting deer and other species whats the difference for spring turkey ? While it is unlawful to stalk a turkey in the spring what is the harm in propping up a few limbs to break your outline, even if on your "own posted" property ? If no game law states that it's illegal to use a tree stand for spring gobbler, why is the PGC not allowing you to use and leave a tree stand overnight in sate gamelands for turkey but only for deer? I know not many hunt spring turkey from a tree stand but it's safer than being on the ground ,don't you think ? The PGC also dropped the requirement for Fluorescent Orange while moving during spring gobbler due to the low number of accidents. Perhaps the low numbers were because of the FO requirement. RSB would you like to comment on this topic ?????
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/22 18:52:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

I see no law that permits a hunter fom using a treestand for spring gobbler. All materials are man made. Although natural blinds are permitted for hunting deer and other species whats the difference for spring turkey ? While it is unlawful to stalk a turkey in the spring what is the harm in propping up a few limbs to break your outline, even if on your "own posted" property ? If no game law states that it's illegal to use a tree stand for spring gobbler, why is the PGC not allowing you to use and leave a tree stand overnight in sate gamelands for turkey but only for deer? I know not many hunt spring turkey from a tree stand but it's safer than being on the ground ,don't you think ? The PGC also dropped the requirement for Fluorescent Orange while moving during spring gobbler due to the low number of accidents. Perhaps the low numbers were because of the FO requirement. RSB would you like to comment on this topic ?????

There is nothing illegal about using a tree stand for turkey.

The reason the Commission set the blind regulations that required the hunter to be totally enclosed in a manmade blind was so that all movement would be concealed.

The majority of turkey hunters are shot when another hunter sneaks up on them, sees just a small part of the victim moving, mistakenly believes they are seeing a turkey and then fires at it. There are more hunters shot in mistake when they are only partially visible then when they are not visible at all and right or wrong that was the biggest part of the reason they passed the regulation requiring hunters using blinds for turkey to be manmade in a manner that they totally enclose the hunter and conceal any movement.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2131
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/23 07:31:52 (permalink)
    Hey Retired Guy, maybe you can build a natural blind 1 foot off the ground and call it a tree stand?
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/23 11:19:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RSB

The reason the Commission set the blind regulations that required the hunter to be totally enclosed in a manmade blind was so that all movement would be concealed.

The majority of turkey hunters are shot when another hunter sneaks up on them, sees just a small part of the victim moving, mistakenly believes they are seeing a turkey and then fires at it. There are more hunters shot in mistake when they are only partially visible then when they are not visible at all and right or wrong that was the biggest part of the reason they passed the regulation requiring hunters using blinds for turkey to be manmade in a manner that they totally enclose the hunter and conceal any movement.

R.S. Bodenhorn

Why aren't tree stands permitted to be used as they are for deer on State Gamelands ( left erected over the season) then if turkey hunting from them is legal ??
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/23 16:50:43 (permalink)
    back on topic... we own two doghouse blinds both a little over $100.  never had a problem with them being dark enough on the inside with all of the windows zipped shut except for the front one.  the heavier construction would certainly benefit the darkness standpoint.  do you leave all the flaps shut when you are hunting or do you leave them open so you can see out the sides?

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/23 19:18:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: heyiknowyou

back on topic... we own two doghouse blinds both a little over $100.  never had a problem with them being dark enough on the inside with all of the windows zipped shut except for the front one.  the heavier construction would certainly benefit the darkness standpoint.  do you leave all the flaps shut when you are hunting or do you leave them open so you can see out the sides?

We use a blind while trapping turkeys for research and have discovered that as long as the turkeys can’t see you between two open windows you can get a way with a lot of movement. If you are positioned between two open windows the turkeys will generally catch your movements so we keep all back windows closed and most other windows are only open enough for clear visibility.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/23 19:31:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RSB

R.S. Bodenhorn

Why aren't tree stands permitted to be used as they are for deer on State Gamelands ( left erected over the season) then if turkey hunting from them is legal ??

You will have to ask the Commissioners that question. But, in all seriousness I have never seen anyone using a tree stand for turkey hunting unless they were really hunting archery deer and just happened to see turkeys while they were in the stand, so it the exclusion of turkey season in the tree stand regulations is kind of a mute point.

Presently you can use a tree stand for turkey hunting even though the tree stand regulation doesn’t allow the stand being left. But, if a hunter came to me and asked if I would cite him or remove his stand if he was using it and leaving it set up during the turkey season I would most likely not have an issue with it as long as he understood he couldn’t use it to stake a claim to the area and it was fair game for other hunters to get there and set up on any birds in the area before he got there.

As long as it didn’t become a problem I probably wouldn’t view it as a problem as long as the hunter was actually using it throughout the season instead of simply trying to stake a claim to an area.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/23 20:26:35 (permalink)
    That sounds fair. Sometimes I will climb into stand and call for turkeys and just sit back relax and enjoy the woods. Thanks for the reply.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/24 23:59:27 (permalink)
    Said I'd get offa this but gotta ask. 

RSB- How many hunters were getting shot? Sounds a bit like everyone having to do less than decent hunting practices cause of some idiot.
    Did an op ed for a newspaper recently where I researched national Hunter accidents over that past 10 years and they were miniscule compared to the number of hunter -days afield. More guys got hurt driving to the woods. Also as retired LE  you (rsb) and I both know that some of those 'accidental' hunter incidents  are very questionable. -they will make you walk to the hunt if they realy wanna save your butt.
       Some  rules that are made  'for our protection' are simply dopy.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/25 09:34:28
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/25 00:35:59 (permalink)
    This about this. Fluorescent Orange (while moving or stationary) was dropped due to the lack of accidents but man made materials for blinds were implemented due to accidents. ??????????????????????????????????
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY BLINDS 2011/04/25 17:52:21 (permalink)
    You guys got 'issues'. Any hunters on those boards?, or are they just trying to make 'both sides' happy.
      OK   OK    I'm done..... Got enough to worry about with high water and the end of Steel season.
    Jump to: