Turkey reproduction

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/06/06 06:53:59 (permalink)
OA-
   Last year at my place in SR country NY had a hen with 2 young ones all late Summer at my corn feeders. They were still small in the Fall so dont know it they made it through Winter.- doubt it- too little.
  She was a mature looking Hen and they were a very late hatch. She either found a Tom way late or bred and hatched a second time around after loosing the first.
   Have seen late young before but had never gave too much thought bout them having a 'second hatch' if the first failed.
  Unfortunately if the young dont reach a decent size by Winter their survival is very questionable. That kind of activity would really help their numbers in a calmer climate though.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/06/23 13:14:35 (permalink)
      Are  any of you folks lucky enough to be seeing young Turkey any place?
At my place up by SR in Ny and here in Ct it just keeps raining and raining without hardly a 3 day dry spell. 
I really fear for their numbers and the sucses of the young this year more than any other in memory.
  Been seeing adult hens all together here and there with no young.   Scarey.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/06/24 21:40:31
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 182
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/06/23 14:47:44 (permalink)
On Tuesday I saw two hens with about 16 to 20 little ones. They were about the size of a small pigeon. Was relly surprised to see that many. The weather in soutwest PA has been extremly wet this spring
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/06/24 21:37:50 (permalink)
WOW- give those hens a medal and some corn. Hope there is  a lot more of THAT happening.
  That size may indicate a second hatch but its early enough for them to grow decently before late fall.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/06/24 21:39:04
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/10 21:40:24 (permalink)
    Well  most fields have had their first cut and I hate to say am seeing way toooo many hens in Ct and in NY with no young ones.
  Hope its just my poor luck and more are out there but seeing is believing and it looks like one of 'those' Springs just happened.
bigbuck101
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/10 22:06:36 (permalink)
I took pictures this morning of my favorite gobbler One Eye as he was strutting for all he is worth. There is an old hen that visits daily and he was putting on a show for her. Yesterday she squatted down about three feet from her, then two feet, than right at his legs. All he did was move over to a dusty area, squat and "ma*************". You know what I am saying.

Even with only one eye, he should still get the hint. Will have to talk to him tomorrow morning.
bigbuck101
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/10 22:24:57 (permalink)
Pictures of One Eye this morning. His beard is looking great this summer.

retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/11 09:47:39 (permalink)
Love the 'one eye shots,' did he get that name cause of one eye or something bout that last photo?
  Turkeys is so ugly theys beautiful.
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/11 10:31:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: retired guy

Well  most fields have had their first cut and I hate to say am seeing way toooo many hens in Ct and in NY with no young ones.
Hope its just my poor luck and more are out there but seeing is believing and it looks like one of 'those' Springs just happened.

Things vary from state to state and even area to area within each state but here is what I am finding in turkey numbers for this area.

We do turkey surveys, where we keep track of all daylight miles traveled and turkeys seen (in categories of hens without poults, with poults, poults, gobblers and unknowns) every day we are out. We have been doing them my entire career and I have the records for my district from many years back. We then submit a report to the Biologists at the end of each month for June, July and August.

The number of turkeys and poults I saw in June of this year was pretty much normal as an average year. I have had a few years when I saw more and many years when I saw fewer with this year being pretty much average. I will say though that it appears many of the hatches might have been a little later than normal this year. I usually see the most total and per mile traveled in July and August.

R.S. Bodenhorn   
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/11 12:55:12 (permalink)
RSB-
  THANKS thats good news and is very appreciated.
  Coupla questions, does my theory on 'second hatches' hold water and is the area you check Northern or Southern.
  I only ask cause the Northern NY area I go to really got drowned this year and it did here in Ct too. If your Southern It would be interesting to see what your counterparts in the North are seeing.
  Not being argumentative or doubtfull in any way here- just trying to get a picture. Saw a hen today in a neighborhood with bird feeders and she had half dozen young with her. Thats about the first I'v seen in a while.
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/11 16:02:13 (permalink)

RSB-
Coupla questions, does my theory on 'second hatches' hold water and is the area you check Northern or Southern.
I only ask cause the Northern NY area I go to really got drowned this year and it did here in Ct too. If your Southern It would be interesting to see what your counterparts in the North are seeing.
Not being argumentative or doubtfull in any way here- just trying to get a picture. Saw a hen today in a neighborhood with bird feeders and she had half dozen young with her. Thats about the first I'v seen in a while.

The wet weather isn’t as critical during the nesting season as it is once the eggs have hatched.

If a hen loses a nest she will try again up to about three attempts that can extend all the way into August. But, if a hen loses her poults once they have hatched she is done for the year. So the wet weather during the nesting season isn’t as much a problem as it is to have a period of wet cold weather after the eggs have hatched and before the poults are fully feathered. When poults are small if they get wet and cold the hen has to brood them to warm them up or they will die of hypothermia and sometimes within a matter of minutes. When you get a couple weeks of harsh weather after the eggs have hatched you will generally see hens with smaller broods because she has lost some to both hypothermia and predation or other accidents like being hit on the roads. (I have seen several hit on the roads this year including a couple hens that likely had poults. I even stopped traffic, with the overhead lights, three times so far this year to allow hens and poults to cross)

I am in Elk County and cover part of both Elk and McKean Counties which are in the northern part of Pennsylvania.

Our Biologists monitor, largely through the WCO field reports, the turkey population trends for each county and WMU in the state each year then use that data when making modifications to the following year’s seasons and bag limits.

R.S. Bodenhorn
post edited by RSB - 2011/07/11 16:04:43
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/11 18:55:39 (permalink)
Thanks much RSB- didnt realize they would go till AUGUST if need be---wow.
   No wonder some look real little from time to time late summer.
BIG WAGS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 334
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/14 22:14:49 (permalink)
Hello....I know the season is long over gut I just discovered the Hunting threads......
I live in The southern tip of Allegheny County in SW pa. Our problem here is the coyotes are on the increase and very few people are wacking them. Probably in part to no rifles allowed. I have also been seeing a lot more fox. (we have less stray cats though------LOL) I was able to work gobblers every time I went afield except one time, and I got out 10 mornings. Our spring season needs to be a few weeks sooner, BUT that would compete with trout season opener. Our gobblers are hened up the first week. I was told by PSGC that they believe we run on a ten year cycle. We have large numbers, then 5 years later the numbers bottom out,before they go on the increase again.   If I look back 15 years ago I was able to wack one in the spring and one in the fall every year for 6 years straight. Then for the next 9 years it was tough to get one in to shooting range.
  This year I walked up on a big old boy, took a 25 yard shot, but he managed to duck out of the way. He went 25 lb. with a 12" beard. I was able to resurrect myself a week later. I worked a tom from first light, but he had his girls with him and eventually walked away. However, I found 2 toms, 2 hens and 12 polts in a field. I RAN up a creek bed and circled them. Two sets of yelps and 15 minutes his head popped up at 20 yards. he saw me and was angling away. Gave one more set of yelps, he made his last gobble at 25 yards and fell. Impressive beard at 12"....1" spurs...BUT only 15 lbs.  I guess he screwed his weight off....LOL
  I saw the most amazing sight last week. I heard a bird roost as I sat outside. I got the binocs and found a large tom with 3 polts under his wings. He had a 12" beard......hope to see him next year....
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/15 09:10:23 (permalink)
Greetigs Wags-
  Great stories- Hope the 10 year thing is real- that would be great.
Loooong ago recall hearing that Partridge round here were on a 17 year cycle.
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/15 19:04:23 (permalink)
I saw a hen yesterday with six poults that were only a couple days old so there are still a few hatching and likely still a few sitting on eggs.
 R.S. Bodenhorn
BIG WAGS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 334
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/15 21:02:24 (permalink)
I went fishing at High Point lake on Tuesday saw 3 hens with 12 polts. These polts were only about 10 " high.
Now back in May(23rd) here at home those polts were 12" high........goes to show that they can hatch at different times.

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/17 01:54:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RSB

RSB-

The wet weather isn’t as critical during the nesting season as it is once the eggs have hatched.

If a hen loses a nest she will try again up to about three attempts that can extend all the way into August. But, if a hen loses her poults once they have hatched she is done for the year. So the wet weather during the nesting season isn’t as much a problem as it is to have a period of wet cold weather after the eggs have hatched and before the poults are fully feathered. When poults are small if they get wet and cold the hen has to brood them to warm them up or they will die of hypothermia and sometimes within a matter of minutes. When you get a couple weeks of harsh weather after the eggs have hatched you will generally see hens with smaller broods because she has lost some to both hypothermia and predation or other accidents like being hit on the roads. (I have seen several hit on the roads this year including a couple hens that likely had poults. I even stopped traffic, with the overhead lights, three times so far this year to allow hens and poults to cross)

I am in Elk County and cover part of both Elk and McKean Counties which are in the northern part of Pennsylvania.

Our Biologists monitor, largely through the WCO field reports, the turkey population trends for each county and WMU in the state each year then use that data when making modifications to the following year’s seasons and bag limits.

R.S. Bodenhorn

Interesting info. Can a hen loose a clutch, be bread again then loose that clutch and be bread once more? Just curious. Or is it that once the hen looses the clutch she can only be bread one more time, sometimes taking up to 3 attemps? Not sure if I understood that correctly.
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/17 10:11:34 (permalink)
I have never heard of a hen nesting again if she loses her poults. If the nest is destroyed though they will lay a new clutch of eggs and start over again. There are frequently fewer eggs laid in the later clutches though. I think, if I remember correctly, they can nest at least twice and perhaps up to three times without being bred again.

It is this ability and instinct to successfully nest that breaks up the nesting season over a long period of time and keeps the species within good population levels during harsh weather springs. Nest predation actually helps the species dynamics during those harsh weather springs.
 R.S. Bodenhorn
post edited by RSB - 2011/07/17 10:13:09
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/17 13:07:56 (permalink)
WOW--excellent viewpoint bout the second nesting actually helping the population in a lousy early Spring.
   Here dopy me was thinking they were just tryin to bet by- Nature certainly is interesting.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/07/17 13:09:07
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/17 14:42:57 (permalink)
i
If the nest is destroyed though they will lay a new clutch of eggs and start over again. There are frequently fewer eggs laid in the later clutches though. I think, if I remember correctly, they can nest at least twice and perhaps up to three times without being bred again.

Didn't know that. Thought each time a clutch was layed breading had to take place prior to. Thanks for the info.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/20 08:05:35 (permalink)
Two more hens yesterday ---no young ones.
   Getting sick and tired of it- only saw young that one time several days ago all spring.
  Didnt shoot a Tom this year cause of it- stopped hunting upon seeing what was up in the woods ( few birds) and probably wont hunt them this fall around here if this keeps up- gotta letem bounce back.
   Hafta check on another part of the State where I can get a permit , hope like heck they had better conditions.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/21 16:06:21 (permalink)

Two more hens yesterday ---no young ones.
  Getting sick and tired of it- only saw young that one time several days ago all spring.
Didnt shoot a Tom this year cause of it- stopped hunting upon seeing what was up in the woods ( few birds) and probably wont hunt them this fall around here if this keeps up- gotta letem bounce back.
  Hafta check on another part of the State where I can get a permit , hope like heck they had better conditions.

I wittinessed the same as you many times and got discouraged. Come fall it was like the birds magicly appeared. LOL, Time will tell.
post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/07/21 16:07:34
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/07/21 17:44:03 (permalink)
   Agree OA- not discouraged at all. Just like to 'manage' my area a bit cause I'm bout the only Turkey guy there and I really enjoy and respect Game.
     Truely believe it aint bout how many ya kill.That said ya gotta score now and then or it aint huntin.  
    Sometimes the hens and young are out following food sources elsewhere and can be missed.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/08/09 19:53:01 (permalink)
Saw a hen with a few chicks the size of robins outside of Tidioute this morning. That's the smallest I have ever seen this late.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/08/09 20:38:40 (permalink)
WOW_ now those are late-
    Been seeing a hen or two since the last cuttings but no big hatches just 1-3 chicks and generally with a coupla hens close by.
  Actually kinda happy bout it cause some did manage to get it done this spring.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/08/16 18:38:00 (permalink)
Had five adult hens with 5 chicks the size of hen ringnecks at the bird feeder this morning.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/02 21:02:19 (permalink)
Startin ta feel good bout the fall season- Wife saw 7 out back tonight by the lake walkin the Lab. Thats the biggest bunch in a long time hereabouts.
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/02 22:43:32 (permalink)
It wasn’t one of my highest ever years for turkey sightings but it wasn’t too bad either when you look at the facts of comparison with the past.

Every year WCOs keep count of all turkey sightings in their districts through the months of June, July and August. We also record all daylight miles traveled in out districts. That information gets recorded and the number of turkeys per mile index is established.

This is the number of turkeys per mile I have seen each year (June through August) in my district over the past ten years.

Year……………..turkeys per mile

2002……………….0.010
2003……………….0.024
2004……………….0.032
2005……………….0.032
2006……………….0.074
2007……………….0.013
2008……………….0.044
2009……………….0.061
2010……………….0.078
2011……………….0.050

R.S. Bodenhorn
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/03 01:24:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RSB

It wasn’t one of my highest ever years for turkey sightings but it wasn’t too bad either when you look at the facts of comparison with the past.

Every year WCOs keep count of all turkey sightings in their districts through the months of June, July and August. We also record all daylight miles traveled in out districts. That information gets recorded and the number of turkeys per mile index is established.

This is the number of turkeys per mile I have seen each year (June through August) in my district over the past ten years.

Year……………..turkeys per mile

2002……………….0.010
2003……………….0.024
2004……………….0.032
2005……………….0.032
2006……………….0.074
2007……………….0.013
2008……………….0.044
2009……………….0.061
2010……………….0.078
2011……………….0.050

R.S. Bodenhorn

just over a 1/16 of turkey PSM ? Are these stats from the window of your vechicle ?
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/03 14:44:26 (permalink)
"just over a 1/16 of turkey PSM"

No, that would be per LINEAL mile. If he traveled 1 mile north then turned and traveled 1 mile east, then 1 mile south, then 1 mile west to his original point. He would have encompassed a sguare mile, but still not have covered one.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: