Salmon River, Ye-Haa! - Steelies!!!

Author
YankeeAngler
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 184
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/12 18:19:19 (permalink)

Salmon River, Ye-Haa! - Steelies!!!

With these higher flows, cool water temps. and the upcoming rain tonight. (Besides the fact that Im on this river almost daily all season long:)
-
Looks like this season well last into mid-May.
-
Pleanty of Steelhead around, If you know:
1. Habitat
2. Rigging
3. Most importantly - Presentation, presentation, etc...
-
Leaving one or more of the above out, can leave you either lucky and or skunked :)
-
Having a complete understanding of all of the above should mean, fish on and on!
-
Today we had at least 8 fish on.
I witnessed off the boat at least 5 shore anglers tied up with Steelhead as I drifted past. Guess how many more were played w/ that I didnt see?
Most boats had 2-5 fish on and and some landed.
Great day to be out fishing in 50 degree temp's. With fish around the seasoned angler.
-
Go Get'm,
Randy
www.yankeeangler.com

7 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Salmon River, Ye-Haa! - Steelies!!! 2011/04/12 18:22:57 (permalink)
    OK   OK   Ya got me.
    Randy right- it really IS  a great  time to go for Steel and a River Guide is a great investment-especially if you can only get up a time of two a year and want a quality trip.

post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/12 18:25:15
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: Salmon River, Ye-Haa! - Steelies!!! 2011/04/12 19:49:06 (permalink)
    THERE IS NO FISH IN THE SALMON RIVER FOLKS. I hear the hudson river has lots of fish so people should go there, all of them. There are magic steelhead in the hudson river and they glow.
    GO get em.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Salmon River, Ye-Haa! - Steelies!!! 2011/04/12 20:42:24 (permalink)
    Hey randy thanks for the update as always. Nothing wrong with innocent chop busting though:) I don't think late april and may is much of a secret; but rather more of a frustration for alot of folksdue to the 3 important factors you mentioned and then the icing on the cake is weather and flow conditions. A spring steelhead season is far from predictable. Add these 4 factors up and I think that's what mostly keeps peoplefrom consistently targetting it. Can't tell you how many guys I've known whove booked trips in april and get blown out. Or try a trip in may and have low warm water with weak and tired/ beat up steelies with a storm of bugs in their face...lol....Think of the current conditio.s of 2000 cfs right now. Most average anglers would consider this too high and hav e trouble fishing it. Most guys say 1000 is the limit. But we all know 2000 -4000 is very common in spring months. Again thanks for the updates as usual and I do recomend to most anglers to hire a local guide for everyones best interests sakes. Btw, did your taxes go up as much as mine did this year? Lol....
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Salmon River, Ye-Haa! - Steelies!!! 2011/04/13 00:55:21 (permalink)
    Do those glowing fish come from the North Pacific?
    and yes to Dime - my local property taxes by the  SR  are a changing too -not to worry though, they are still a bargain.
        How can ya beat May, Turkey in the AM and Steel in the PM--almost like Fall with Deer and Salmon, and Browns and Steel and an occasional Atlantic-  Like Tony Tiger says GGGRRRRREEEEEAAAAT.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/13 01:04:03
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: Salmon River, Ye-Haa! - Steelies!!! 2011/04/13 19:04:04 (permalink)

I prefer 750-900 but I find 2000-3000cfs to be fine. There are many great high water holes. I have hooked many fish in high water, landing them can be a major challenge though.
    fishon
    post edited by jonnyfishon - 2011/04/13 21:26:46
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Salmon River, Ye-Haa! - Steelies!!! 2011/04/13 19:17:31 (permalink)
    Dime and Retired,
    Thanks soooo much, as well as the rest of you for posting here and visiting.
    There are soooo many service men and women presently who are supporting and or fighting over sea's that visit my site as well as this one.
    That they find much comfort in our post's, as well as allowing them to forget about the conditions that they are in presently and remembering about there home, loved ones and this great fishery!
    -
    Best Fish's,
    Randy

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Salmon River, Ye-Haa! - Steelies!!! 2011/04/13 20:24:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jonnyfishon

York Fishing Boards] >> FishSalmonRiver.com Discussion Board >> Salmon River, Ye-Haa! - Steelies!!! Page: [1]

I prefer 750-900 but I find 2000-3000cfs to be fine. There are many great high water holes. I have hooked many fish in high water, landing them can be a major challenge though.
    fishon

agree 100% johnny...

Your welcome randy...
    Jump to: