Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!!

Author
YankeeAngler
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 184
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/10 17:06:14 (permalink)

Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!!

This last week of Steelhead fishing has been incredible, here on the Salmon River, Pulaski, NY.
The Steelies are all in there normal places for this time of year, water flow and stage of life, etc...
Drop back's galore, etc... abound!!!
We have been playing w/ 3-12 fish per day and have been landing 2-4 fish per day!
Ye-Haaaa....!!!!
They will be releasing all of the fish at the hatchery soon.
This will add even MORE Steelhead to the river!
The hatchery has gotten more egg's then usual, which is great news!
The water level is at a comfortable fishing and wading level at 750cfs presently.
Looks like it may remain at this prime water flow level for awhile (?)
Best Fish's,
Randy Jones
www.yankeeangler.com

23 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/10 18:34:12 (permalink)
    Good to hear randy. Do you know when their opening the pen gates. I heard the 20th but I don't know if its true....
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/10 21:38:20 (permalink)
    Word has it 4/29 ;)

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/11 14:02:43 (permalink)
    Anytime between now and before the 20th., as usual.
    As usual, the fish are everywhere!
    With this water flow, we should have incredible fishing all the way into the first week of May and maybe even after.
    This is one of my favorite times, as from here out. You will have less boats and anglers fishing, leaving all of these incredible Steelhead to yourself!
    Best Fish's,
    Randy
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/11 19:04:29 (permalink)
    Would'nt you think there would be more boats and fisherman?
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/11 19:46:52 (permalink)
    IMO this thread should be deleted.. lol...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/11 21:19:22 (permalink)
    I agree- the fishing's lousy this time of year and the trip up is a complete waste of time, effort and money. Anyone fishing now in the SR or its tribs is completley out of touch and should have their head examined.
    Nothing going on but a bunch of old guys wishing and praying here -pay no attention whatsoever.
       The Steelhead are all spawned by now and have died.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/11 21:27:37
    noodle one
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/12 04:48:09 (permalink)
    My son and his family are flying in from Calif. today. Then tomorrow he and I are heading north to do some center pinning for two days on the Salmon.We are heading up the first thing Wed. morning and are going to do some bank fishing that day. Thur , the next day we have a float trip set up and I can't wait. Last year at this time we made the same trip and made a killing. All our fish are C/R and the only thing we bring back are good memories and pictures. I only get to fish with my son two times a year. One time when I fly out to Calif. in Dec. and fish for sea run steelhead with him and then when he comes home and we fish the Salmon. we also fish the West Branch Delaware River for big browns and rainbows for the rest of the week. Well i need to get ready to go and pick them up at the airport. Good Fishing and tight Lines
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/12 18:07:42 (permalink)
    The reason for less anglers and boats fishing here, is simply due to trout and saltwater anglers persuing them.
    -
    Dime and Retired are playing an old joke on the rest of you.
    -
    Want to know one of the best kept secret's on the Salmon River for Spring Steelhead?
    Late April early to mid-May? With the current high and cold water flow? How many Steelies by the thousands are above and below the Altmar bridge? Many still need to be released from the hatchery and all the ones still holding and waiting to drop back?
    -
    D and R, maybe think a lil more about the local economy, the good fishing we are having presently, etc...., etc.... not fibbing and shareing?
    -
    Best Fish's,
    Randy

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/12 21:15:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: noodle one

My son and his family are flying in from Calif. today. Then tomorrow he and I are heading north to do some center pinning for two days on the Salmon.We are heading up the first thing Wed. morning and are going to do some bank fishing that day. Thur , the next day we have a float trip set up and I can't wait. Last year at this time we made the same trip and made a killing. All our fish are C/R and the only thing we bring back are good memories and pictures. I only get to fish with my son two times a year. One time when I fly out to Calif. in Dec. and fish for sea run steelhead with him and then when he comes home and we fish the Salmon. we also fish the West Branch Delaware River for big browns and rainbows for the rest of the week. Well i need to get ready to go and pick them up at the airport. Good Fishing and tight Lines

hey noodle, may your lines be tight... btw, id love to get out to pac northwest oneday... my mouth waters for a salted....
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/12 21:19:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: YankeeAngler

The reason for less anglers and boats fishing here, is simply due to trout and saltwater anglers persuing them.
    -
    -
    Want to know one of the best kept secret's on the Salmon River for Spring Steelhead?
    Late April early to mid-May? With the current high and cold water flow? How many Steelies by the thousands are above and below the Altmar bridge? Many still need to be released from the hatchery and all the ones still holding and waiting to drop back?
    -
    D and R, maybe think a lil more about the local economy, the good fishing we are having presently, etc...., etc.... not fibbing and shareing?
    -
    Best Fish's,
    Randy

Randy, I did say lol afterwards ;) btw; retired and I both pay ny state taxes and I contribute and support the local economy all year long in many ways ...just saying... tight lines
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/12 22:31:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

IMO this thread should be deleted.. lol...

lmao i agree

I have become comfortably numb
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/13 00:11:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: YankeeAngler

-
    -
    -
    -
    Best Fish's,
    Randy

Dont worry randy, I spend about 6grand a year up there. No one should fish there from now until late may,Too much fibbing and sharing but if you do, hire randy.
    No one listens to us anyhoo. Lighten up man
    post edited by jonnyfishon - 2011/04/13 00:12:19
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/13 00:53:11 (permalink)
    After going up for about 30 years I bought a place up there in nearby Richland now Im up every couple of weeks year round. LOVE IT
    Randys right good Steel up till mid may at least...
    Just in good fun---
      ps.--they dont die.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/13 06:00:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

After going up for about 30 years I bought a place up there in nearby Richland now Im up every couple of weeks year round. LOVE IT
    Randys right good Steel up till mid may at least...
    Just in good fun---
    ps.--they dont die.

I love the summer months. Nice and quiet and the weathers beautiful. And again, althoough there is a summer fishery, its too spotty to keep anglers coming consistently. There's nothing like the lush colors of those banks with the dozens of wild flower species growing along the banks. An occasional beaver plunging in the water and a blue heron, red tailed hawk or occasional bald eagle flying overhead. Maybe a little honky tonking in the evening, campfire before bed; almost sounds like a good old bosephus song.....country boy can survive...Gotta love it...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/13 10:23:02 (permalink)
    Dime,
      I go up all summer for a couple of days every two weeks or so-just to cut the grass and do a bit of smallmouth fishing in the river with garden hackle.
      Also get up for several days at a time early and late summer with my wife for Golf. There are some nice courses around the area and its a great getaway.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/13 12:13:53 (permalink)
    Gods country to say the least
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/13 13:00:33 (permalink)
    The guys that are just "busting chops", you and this forum in general have been a tremendous asset to me. You guys are free with information that has been invaluable to me and my buddy. That desire to help turn others onto this great fishery will help the local economy more than anything else. You have "hooked" two more fishermen/Sportssmen. I spend what I can up there,buy all tackle there plus meals,fuel etc.. Might be a while before I can fish with you, Randy but it is on my "bucket" list. Hopefully I can get at least one more trip in. The tug is the drug.Good fishing to all.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/13 15:57:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite
    There's nothing like the lush colors of those banks with the dozens of wild flower species growing along the banks. An occasional beaver plunging in the water and a blue heron, red tailed hawk or occasional bald eagle flying overhead.

In memory of the late,great radio personality Paul Harvey, now it is time for
    "THE REST OF THE STORY":

You forgot the MILLIONS, perhaps BILLIONS of BITING Flies and THOUSANDS of water snakes that take over the river.. Try fishing the UFZ in the summer - ROTTZA RUCK RALPH !!!

You mentioned honky-tonking too..

An analogy for Spring Dropback fishing in the SR is picking up the old-toothless woman (as opposed to the young toothless woman - after all, we are talking Pooolaski) at the bar when the lights come on.

The dropbacks are beat up old dark horses that look and fight like beat up old dark horses - regardless of what the Chamber of Commerce says about it..

I believe Metalslayer would say it's "SO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT"..

just my 2 cents worth....
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/13 17:27:07 (permalink)
    Different Strokes for different folks drake. Ive caught many drops backs that had much more life than sluggish winter fish.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/13 18:11:28 (permalink)
    It's been awhile since I fished in late April/beginning May but those drop backs had my drag screaming !!
    Lately I've been in Ohio at that time,it's a spring run there and they are frisky.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/13 19:55:54 (permalink)
    no prob Dime -

but when I do get up there I will be fishing for poor man's lobsta - Mr Wally....

It;s time for me to switch gears to a spinning outfit, head lamp, and a beer cooler...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/13 20:20:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

no prob Dime -

but when I do get up there I will be fishing for poor man's lobsta - Mr Wally....

It;s time for me to switch gears to a spinning outfit, head lamp, and a beer cooler...

now thatdoes sound like fun.... maybe words for your next hit country song...lol
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead!! _ Salmon River - Ye-Haa!!!! 2011/04/13 20:38:07 (permalink)
    The tiny flies in May can be awful if your not prepared. Take it from a guy who is rarely prepared.  Forgot my hackle last time up.
       Finally learned to use my Turkey hunting hat with the netting both AM for birds and PM for Steel-I leave the gloves on too.
      Its worth it cause the fishing can be great, even  in late May.- depending on finding the right places later in May which is why a newcomer will get a good education using a guide.
    Jump to: