Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/08 13:03:14 (permalink)

Felt soles

Hi guys,
    Hate to bring up a sore subject or one that could cost us all a few bucks but here goes.
      Have heard from time to time about States forbidding the use of felt soles on waders due to the ability of felt to trap bad little things and the fear that those things could be passed from waterway to waterway. A friend just told me that he believes Vermont to be making such a law- don't know how true it is but it brings the subject to the forefront .
      We all have a story and mine is that my waders NEVER leave my place in Richland and are only used in the SR and its tribs. My Ct stuff stays in CT. To replace the several pairs of boot foot and boots for my stocking foot waders would be around a thousand bucks. I keep stuff there for family and friends as well as a few alternatives for myself.
    Have heard one can grind off the felt but upon inspecting my stuff it would seem an unlikely alternative, especially on my studded felt soles. Now I know we all have to do our part for the environment but after reading things about commercial fishing and such in the Great Lakes and the invasive species involved therein it seems like we fishermen are low hanging fruit for those who feel they must do 'something'.
    I fear we are pretty much alone in this possible debate cause all our friends in the various industries and businesses surrounding our sport will certainly smell $$$$ in these hard financial times and their support would be questionable or minimal or quite possibly "tongue in cheek" at best.
      Mucho business  for all the supply places would more likely garner their support as they can easily say its for the 'greater good'.
     Guess its one of those things where talking about birds spreading those little nasties and boats and other means of passing them around will be meaningless cause they will say 'we all have to do our part' and be somewhat correct.
  I noticed a show recently about Snakehead fish in The US and they spoke about a Snakehead fish farm that flooded over and how the invasives were washed out and then spread. NO MENTION of any action against the sloppy business guy and so it goes with other contributing people and businesses--little to no enforcement. That wont be the way with us 'low hangers'- we would get fined and face loss of liscence, I'm sure.-
   Hate to bring up negative stuff here but have to fact the facts of life as they seem to be coming our way sooner or later on this one.
    If anyone has any real alternatives for how to alter our felt bottoms please forward it to this post cause it may be that most all of us can benefit. Would also be real interested in any info on this subject especially legislation  NY may be looking at.
  Thanks guys

post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/08 13:06:54

19 Replies Related Threads

bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/08 14:05:27 (permalink)
    i don't know about the legislation, but i have dedicated boots for the NY tribs and other ones i use in the erie tribs, and another set i use around here...yea its more money but i don't run the risk of introducing species where they don't belong that way
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/08 21:27:46 (permalink)
    Buy rubber soles with carbide spikes,I just did at LLbean for $117,then you don't have that concern.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/08 21:46:48 (permalink)
      Thats what I'v been doing too Bear- but that wont wash if the law changes-
      Am already looking around, Have to get at least one pair of boots for myself and another for company. Then gotta get 2 pairs of boot foots  for grandkids and another for my wife --Saw those Beaners Pal. but no boot foot with studs.
      I figure around $250 to 300 for me and company and at least that much again for the rest of the family--starting to get very mad here- then gotta have a fireside ceremony for some real nice stuff some of which is like new ( and some is). Guess Ill wait till I gotta do it by law.
       How much was it they fined all those shops who sell exotics and the folks who released them and the ships that dropped their infested water and that snakehead business and those other guys who -etc etc etc ?
       If we fishermen get the same treatment all those guys did I wont buy a darned thing- just keep on fishing-like I said----mad.
       Remember the stuff they are so very right to be concerned about from other places is the Exotics we river fishermen had nothing to do with in the first place.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/09 11:24:28
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/09 04:29:49 (permalink)
    I have several pair of like new felt soled wading shoes.

I WILL GRIND off the felt and use a pair of Korker Sandals with spikes over them..

I'll be darned if I go out and buy new shoes to comply with this BS reg banning felts..

They better ban the shoe laces, the threads in the shoes, the seams in the waders, ducks,geese and other critters than can spread the didymo around.

IT IS A $ MAKING SCHEME IMO..

I'm not buying a ticket for this train !!!!

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/09 04:34:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bigbear2010

but i don't run the risk of introducing species where they don't belong that way

If you reach into the water (for any reason) and get your shirt sleeve wet - you better wash that shirt in clorox to kill all them "critters" you transport between the cloth fibers...

The regs are FEEL-GOOD BS....

I don't do BS...

You milege may vary...
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/09 04:36:12 (permalink)
    p.s. - the straps on my Korker Sandals (not made of felt) will probably hold millions of them microscopic critters..

They better ban Korkers too and make me wade barefoot !!

BS

BS

BS

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/09 11:21:39 (permalink)
    I imagine with certain makes of boots you might need to laminate a piece of rubber to the sole based on the thickness after grinding the felt...
    post edited by dimebrite - 2011/04/09 11:22:47
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/09 21:31:05 (permalink)
    I was think about this also. What about the rubber type dips. Dip the felt part in to cover all the felt and add studs. Just a thought, might not really work.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/09 22:31:35 (permalink)
    Sounds like too much work to try and save a Benjamin to me ;)

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/09 22:39:59 (permalink)
         Would hope that if this ever becomes a reality- as it may well be in some other places first- that some enterprising business will  come up with a way to redo  stuff.
      The only issue then may be what is considered legal and what isn't.
        If any of my  stuff needs replacing even before such a law is seriously considered-it will be carbide studded rubber bottom boots- just in case.
       Would also suspect that the business world will be ahead of the curve and we may see more 'felt free' stuff  on the shelves in the near future. If I ran a SR shop I would be featuring it- specially if nearby Vt passes the law as my friend believes they are about to do.
         Agree with DRAKE however it may  be that if we wanna fish we will have to change over at some future point.
         One may be wary of 'sales' on felt bottoms in the next season or two. The good deal you get may not be that great in the long run.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/09 22:46:41
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/11 06:05:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: metalslayer

Sounds like too much work to try and save a Benjamin to me ;)

I'm saving my Benjamin to buy stilts to elevate my house when Al Gore's Global Warming flood waters come.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/13 22:12:17 (permalink)
    Benjamin is a grand old sole.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/16 14:49:15 (permalink)
        Vermont made felt soles ILLEGAL as of this year-2011. Done deal they are now illegal guys so dont use them there.
        Trout Unlimited has a website wherein they are pushing for a ban all over on Felt bottoms. They have great influence and are often seen as representing sportsmen.
       Checked a number of shops and store websites and find no mention of this and see that they are all selling Felt Bottoms even though there seems to be at least one major retailer who is said  to have joined forces in stopping the soles in VT. Figured that would happen-$$$$$$
        Cant wait for Trout Unlimited to ban all other stuff in waterways too- Boats, floats, birds like Ducks and Geese etc, shoe laces, fishing rods with cork grips, swim suits, all clothing of any kind, diving gear,  and suggest open season all year for any furbearers who walk in water too. The list can go on and on.
      Hate to say it about TU as I always thought they were an ok outfit but they seem to have gone  to the over reacting 'Greenie' type of attitude.
       When ya get right down to it 'invasives' are anything thats there now that wasnt there before- You know like most of the species of great fish we enjoy in the SR. Or Pheasants that came from China as well as at least one species of Trout found throughout the country, guess TU is 'against that too -if not they are rather disengenuis.  This list could go on and on too.
        Makes me wanna puke.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/16 15:53:24
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/17 12:13:07 (permalink)
    RT:

you were too gentle on TU

TU has turned into nothing more than a bunch of High-Paid Suits in DC catering to rich landowners in places like Montana.

I wouldn't be surprised if they fish the Dream Waters owned by Donny Beaver - far away from us "unwashed masses".

Kudos to the local chapters that actually do stream restoration work, but my understandin is many(most) of them are upset with the direction that the National Boys are taking them.

As far as the Suits - I wouldn't pee on them if they caught fire - never mind donate $ to "Their Cause"...

post edited by draketrutta - 2011/04/17 12:14:28
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/17 14:39:23 (permalink)
    Retired is spot on! Maybe TU should worry about "invasive" species like the starling. Not native,they eat primarily insects. If they spent their time going after them they would have no time for anything else.Ban future sales of products deemed detramental and leave others alone like they did with lead. I can still use lead ,just can't buy in in NY.I really don't think that anyone on this site would do anything to hurt this incredable fishery. You have all done nothing but help me.Rock Snot is horrible, I don't think anybody here would be stupid and and not take appriate actions. The "funny talkers" up and down the river would be more suspect. Just my opion, don't have the time on the river you guys have had just know that I have to try to get up next Saturday.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/17 18:43:57 (permalink)
        There is a Sunday Outdoor writer in our local paper who did a story today on Rock Snot and the fact that its been found in a major trout river here in Ct.The headwaters of that river are far North of Ct in another state but Felts here are mentioned in the article.
       They are talking about a National law to eliminate felt now.
      I wonder if there is any bird poop or stuff under duck feathers mentioned anywhere in the entire debate over felt. You know it just takes one little bit of snot or anything else introduced into a place and then it simply multiplies. To take ONE way of transferring this stuff and then costing the 'little guy' lots of money is dopy.
        The bottom line is in fact the bottom line $$$$$$ -we got enough to make big profits for a lot of people and cause we love our sport we will spend it- wether we can really afford it or not- If they were really serious about "invasives" each and every 'pet store' with all the tropical fish , snakes and spiders would have been the first to go- but ooops- they pay taxes and make $$$$$ so letem be and pick on the fishermen.
      Was having a nice day till now too-  Freakin Greenies.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/17 18:51:30
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/17 19:15:54 (permalink)
    .Ban future sales of products deemed detramental and leave others alone like they did with lead. I can still use lead ,just can't buy in in NY.

+1

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/17 20:15:56 (permalink)
    Hey, got an idea that will test my theory on the $$$$$ involved in this issue.
    Ok- so- all the fishermen and ladies get rid of their felts (by law) cause of all the little thingies that get spread around. We pay an aggregate of many millions of $ in doing so Nationwide.  Business it GOOD. Greenies are HAPPY.
    NOW_ something else gets into a waterway---hmm -not felt we got rid of that-- gee what happened?
    When they find out how and WHO make them pay as much as we all did--all put together. Bet if its a business like the shipping industry  (again) they wont pay more than a fraction...if anything at all.
    We low hanging fruit  always get picked. BUT if this happens ( and it will) we will absolutely have the 'number' of all involved. I personally will  boycott them all. Dont care how many fishing stores they own or how much in quality fishing  goods they produce.
      By picking out this issue TU has shown it no longer represents ME in any way whatsoever.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/17 20:28:39
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Felt soles 2011/04/17 21:02:38 (permalink)
    Thanks for the support  guys its a real corker and probably an unpopular view to be 'against' something thats supposed to be good for the rivers. 
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/18 01:46:23
    Jump to: