BLUE CATFISH

Author
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/07 13:05:03 (permalink)

BLUE CATFISH

I probably should have put this thread in this forum, but stuck in previously in the sw fishing forum.

BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVER THREAD
post edited by wayne c - 2011/04/07 13:16:08

9 Replies Related Threads

moose22dog
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: BLUE CATFISH 2011/04/08 22:18:56 (permalink)
    they don't exsit!! it's a channel!!!!

your "game fish" is my bait.....got flathead!!
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH 2011/04/09 11:10:43 (permalink)
    I think you need to read the posts i made in the link BEFORE replying here moose. lol

1. I know the difference...and have never caught them anywhere other than paylakes & other states.but its not about that anyway.. But rest assured when you see my name posting here, its not the words of some clueless knucklehead.lol

2. Its not about them being in the rivers...its about possible future STOCKING of them, and the fact they were once native to a couple of our rivers at one time before being extirpated in the late 1800's. They were also mentioned as an extirpated species in the recently released 3 rivers management plan.

I have heard from reliable source that it is something that would possibly be considered... and at least some have voiced interest and support to pfbc on this and anyone else interested should do the same.

Those are the reasons why i made the post over there and put a link here. What others may post about blue cats I cannot control. lol.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/04/09 11:27:27
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: BLUE CATFISH 2011/04/09 22:31:15 (permalink)
    Blue Cats in the Mon would be very interesting. If a stocking program were initiated this year for about ten years they would be established and begin natural reproduction in sustainable numbers much as the other types of river cats. Great idea! Lot of forage, lot of room and plenty of mud banks for spawning.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH 2011/04/10 13:49:31 (permalink)
    Wally, id encourage you or anyone for that matter, that is interested, to let the fish commission know this. The more support shown the more likely it will be picked up and run with by them.

They are seeking input, and you can leave comments. Click the link and scroll down to leave comments.

LINK HERE
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: BLUE CATFISH 2011/04/10 16:38:13 (permalink)
    Wayne,
    Thanks for the link, just went over the study/plan... a lot of cool info and a couple of species I hadn't even known were in the river system.
    I did go to the comments area and expressed my wish to see the blue cats returned to the fishery. I have catfished many times in southern waters where they are common and they are eager biters and a blast to catch. I think they would be a welcome addition and could provide a lot of chances for kids and others who are looking for an entertaining trip to the river.
    With a bit of effort the catfish populations in the area could provide angling opportunities which could attract some of the tournaments interest and help put some money back into the local economy also. But even if it doesn't end up to that level, I would still like to see them back where they belong!
    Again, thanks for the link.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH 2011/04/10 17:52:50 (permalink)
    Thanks fisherlady, and i agree, the report was interesting, i learned a few things by reading it also.
    moose22dog
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: BLUE CATFISH 2011/04/12 11:55:20 (permalink)
    opp's didn't see the link before..lol. i would love to see blues brought back to our river's after all they are native just like flatty's. but i'm not going to hold my breath it hass nothing to do with bass or trout and those are the big money makers for the pa trout commish. and the whole state is broke they need that money!! example... look at sundays paper. you can no longer shoot for free at a game commish range. you have to have a hunting or trapper lic. or pay 30 bucks for a permit to shoot. the whole state is BROKE!!!

if they bring back blues you know haw many shad they will eat which = less for bass. or how many bass they will eat or "game" fish = less money or cost more. trust me i would love to see blues back in there own water but....

and wayne glade to hear your not what i call a "yinzer pro". you know who i'm talking about those guys you see at the river who every weekend catch a 50lber on islays chip ham or hot dog!! and when you tell them the state record is 48.6, they always say.. **** i should of keep'd it"...lmao!!!
    post edited by moose22dog - 2011/04/12 11:59:06

your "game fish" is my bait.....got flathead!!
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH 2011/04/12 20:37:32 (permalink)
    ha ha ha. Yep. i know the pro-types you speak of and understand fully why you jumped to the conclusion you did initially.lol.

As for what the fish commish might do, im optimistic. This falls right in line with several things they are "for". One, bringing back a species that was previously native. another thing and its one theyve stated recently as a change in priority would fall right in line, is their stated goal of putting more emphasis on catfish. Also, another issue this falls right in line with is something they are working on now, the promotion of the 3 rivers and improving the fishery. As far as those 3 things go, reintroduction of blues would be a win win win situation.

I have also heard, as i said, that this would be given consideration.

I also understnd the southwest regional guy, Ventorini, is a pretty good guy from all accounts. I think if its possible and there is interest voiced that it will be done. If its not, then im sure he would have a good reason for it. He has been very helpful to the musky guys by reinstating the stocking musky fingerlings on part of the Mon thanks to some of the guys around here having discussions with him and voicing interest in the musky fishery which i dont think they realized got much attention previously..

And believe me, there is PLEEEEEENTY of forage in the mon. lol. Its actually crazy how much. Billions and billions of emerald shiners come to the boat lights while nightfishing no matter where you anchor just about, and riding around you hit nice thick schools of shad on the finder.

Fish commish also just last year sampled the lock chamber down here, and they found a huge forage base.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/04/12 20:43:23
    fishnabarrel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: BLUE CATFISH 2011/05/02 15:18:52 (permalink)
    im all for blues in the three rivers, they're naturally found here its only right to reintroduce them here
    Jump to: