Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
AndyLee
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/05 08:48:04 (permalink)

Opening Day of trout rained out?

I have been fishing opening day up north for about 25 years, and never has there been an opening day where the water level was too high to fish.  Could this year be the first?  Right now the discharge on Oil Creek is already over 4000 cfs, and the forecast is calling for thunderstorms every day for the next 10 days leading up to the opener.  If that holds true, I can't see any way the creeks will be fishable come opening day.  Anyone else worried about this? 

34 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8511
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/05 09:08:10 (permalink)
    Ya...we sure got hammered yesterday.
    I,ll be below a dam but worried they might have the gates too opened to fish.
    May have to look around to find a fishable stream or fish the rainbow camp.lol

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3105
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/05 09:46:35 (permalink)
    We have 11 days, so hopefully the creeks come down. But I usually fish Justus Lake so rain doesnt really affect me.
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/05 11:57:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AndyLee

Anyone else worried about this? 

Not in the least.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/05 13:37:40 (permalink)
    My fingers are crossed that everything will be ok.  Both places that I'm considering fishing are stocking it the day before so hopefully the fish will be there.
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/05 16:34:22 (permalink)
    I'd certainly be a little concerned, we did get alot of rain, and into ground already soaked. Heck, I had puddles in my yard at 7PM last night and it rained all night. I saw Oil Creek about 30 minutes ago and it's really high. French Creek and the Allegheny were blown again. Upper 2 Mile Run was blown. The top end of Justice Lake looked like a mud bath. If we do get rain every day like is forecasted, conditions may not be too favorable.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    AndyLee
    Novice Angler
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/08 15:01:26 (permalink)
    One week away and Oil Creek is still over 4000 with rain in the forecast pretty much every day until Wednesday.  My only hope at this point is for no rain & warm temps on Wednesday-Thursday-Friday, and even then the streams will be barely fishable.   The stocking in May got canceled last year and the stream was only at 2500 at that point.  I'm thinking 2000 is a best case scenario now, which is still WAY too high to fish most of the streams in Venango/Crawford counties.  At least the beers will be biting!
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/08 17:16:09 (permalink)
    It rained all day here today (Franklin-Oil City). Oil Creek near the Allegheny is nearly as high as it was 2 weeks ago. It usually takes a day for the creeks to peak and with the rain continuing, that will be tomorrow sometime (best case situation). It's still raining as I type. Did get a look at Upper Two Mile run today and it's also way up and brown but that usually drops fairly quickly once the rain stops.

I'll keep an eye on the local streams and let you know.

troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/08 23:50:14 (permalink)
    i hope all aproved trout water are raging rivers blonw out for the first 2 weeks of season ! no fishing until the first of may !!!!!!!
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/09 06:56:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: troutslammer

i hope all aproved trout water are raging rivers blonw out for the first 2 weeks of season ! no fishing until the first of may !!!!!!!

+1

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/09 10:29:04 (permalink)

What's the reasoning behind that trout?
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/09 17:04:33 (permalink)
    by then the trout won't want anything but bugs !
    nysteelieguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/09 19:34:36 (permalink)
    I'd have to assume he means that by then , most of the amatuers will have hung up their Zebcos, ergo, leaving more trout for him.

An excellent choice, sir! I concur in spades! Let the streams run high and muddy!
    ORIGINAL: TastyTrout

What's the reasoning behind that trout?

post edited by nysteelieguy - 2011/04/09 19:36:52
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/10 09:45:24 (permalink)
    The only downside to that would be all the kids who have parents that only take them out at the beginning of the season.

I don't trout fish anymore, but when I did, I enjoyed watching the kids catching fish.
    post edited by ready2fish - 2011/04/10 09:46:32

chrishinesg
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 432
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/10 22:47:09 (permalink)
    opening day is more about hanging out than catching fish so it really dont bother me how the water is....high and muddy, people leave...low and clear, people catch their 5 and leave....as long as the clowns are gone by 10 so me and my paps, bros, nephews can have a good time

It's not how deep you fish...It's how you wiggle your worm.
    babe
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/11 05:46:31 (permalink)
    I aqgree with trout. i hope that the creeks are either blown or they are so low and crystal clear that the fish will be spooked by all the 10 pound test line that the guys are using. from the sounds of it ,trout you are a fly fisherman too. there is nothing better than taking a trout on a fly . i just seems to easy to catch those pelletheads on bait. lets all prey for the perfect water condition for the opener
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/11 15:01:45 (permalink)
    Streams are coming down. Most of the smaller ones are fishable now. They should hold unless we get a soaker.

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/11 16:00:53 (permalink)
    Trout season is like the Olympics...most people care for about two weeks
    AndyLee
    Novice Angler
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/12 19:18:42 (permalink)
    More like 2 days.  I swear 90% of trout fisherman go the opening weekend and that is it.  I'd be willing to bet about 70% of them go the first 2 hours of opening day and then hang em up once they catch their limit.  I always find it remarkable how much the streams have emptied out by lunch time on opening day, then you have a skeleton crew out of Sunday morning.  After that, the majority of fishing pressure is done for the year.  I go to some very nice and heavily fished trout streams in May after the 2nd stocking, and it's only me an a few random other people on the whole stream.   I love it!
    bigben7
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 885
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/13 02:35:53 (permalink)
    bluefox vibrax if the streams are high
    nysteelieguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/13 02:55:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ready2fish

The only downside to that would be all the kids who have parents that only take them out at the beginning of the season.

I don't trout fish anymore, but when I did, I enjoyed watching the kids catching fish.

I forgot about that. Great point!

With yesterday's rain, they should be pretty high again, but at least they should clear by Saturday. But looks like big rain for sometime Saturday.
    post edited by nysteelieguy - 2011/04/13 02:56:10
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/13 15:56:38 (permalink)
    They are high, really high! It rained here nearly all day yesterday, then alot of the night, then more light rain today.

I looked at the Allegheny, French, Upper Two Mile Run, and Oil Creek. All are blown out. Someone's row boat was even floating down the Allegheny today, it was upside down. I assume it came from a camp or house somewhere North of Oil City, maybe it was tied off or beached, and with the rising water it floated away.

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/13 16:08:57 (permalink)
    East Sandy is blown out too
    Kreamy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/13 16:53:51 (permalink)
    my bro in law wants me to come up to oil for the weekend with him and his family, but i dont want to waste a weekend up there if oil is blown, because its not like i will be able to go wherever i want or anything so ill be stuck in a cabin all weekend with a bunch of screaming kids.... so whats everyones thoughts on oil being high saturday? with or without the rain thats supposed to come through on saturday
    Eriefisherman69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/13 17:22:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kreamy

my bro in law wants me to come up to oil for the weekend with him and his family, but i dont want to waste a weekend up there if oil is blown, because its not like i will be able to go wherever i want or anything so ill be stuck in a cabin all weekend with a bunch of screaming kids.... so whats everyones thoughts on oil being high saturday? with or without the rain thats supposed to come through on saturday

Remember YOU Used to be one of those Screaming Kids Maybe you still are?

Get educated, Get smart, And help. 

Move up or Move Over

Don't wait do something now

beeverfishing
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/13 18:05:16 (permalink)

so whats everyones thoughts on oil being high saturday? with or without the rain thats supposed to come through on saturday

Chances are the creek will be high and stained.. If not mud...
    We are to have a cpl nice days, but we have received a lot of rain..With more expected for the weekend...
    Kreamy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/13 20:43:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Eriefisherman69

Remember YOU Used to be one of those Screaming Kids Maybe you still are?

Who pised in your cheerios this morning? I just asked a question****head
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/13 21:01:11 (permalink)
    Oil Creek will remain high and brown for the weekend. We got ALOT of rain and the run off hasn't even stopped yet. Over 1/2 an inch of rain is forecasted for Saturday.

Why sit in the cabin, Justus Lake is close to Oil Creek.

troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/13 21:14:57 (permalink)
    oil is at 2500 cfs right now and almost 5.5 ft. fishable is arround 3' and under . watch the usgs on friday and make a decision or call oil creek outfitters and tell him that you are planning to come up from out of town and need to know stream conditions. I would venture a guess it will be high and very off color. smaller streams in the area might be ok but oil takes a while to run off because of all the feeders
    AndyLee
    Novice Angler
    RE: Opening Day of trout rained out? 2011/04/13 21:41:57 (permalink)
    Oil is completely blown out right now, but no rain is forecast until Saturday.  My best guesstimate is that the water levels will come down to about 1500 cfs and 4.5' by Friday night, which is still un-fishable.  The heavy rain on Saturday and Sunday will ruin the creek for about another week.  It honestly might be May before Oil is at a decent water level.    Like I said, I have fished Oil Creek on opening day for about 25 years and Ive never seen it this bad a few days before the season.   I'm packing more beer than gear this year, as I don't think even the smaller creeks that feed into Oil will be worth fishing.  I usually stay at our camp until Monday or Tuesday, but I'll probably just go up for Friday night and leave Saturday night at this rate. 

Totally bummed right now!!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: