Traditional

Author
Pork
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1419
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/29 15:16:39 (permalink)

Traditional

Hey guys, just thought I'd bring a little life to this forum....
So, who shoots traditional? Hunt or just target?

Reason I ask is, dad just gave me his old Bear Kodiak Mag. (52", 50#) & I'm just getting into it, seems like a blast. Found a really good forum for trad. info, but PA's one of the only states without its own subforum, just wondered if there's any local guys here that might offer some advice.

I'll probably just be target shooting for a good long while. Need the practice, that's for sure.
Anyone have any tips for a newbie shooting for fun?

Thanks in advance.
post edited by Pork - 2011/03/29 15:17:26

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>

8 Replies Related Threads

bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Traditional 2011/03/29 19:05:54 (permalink)
    I shoot and hunt with a Black Widow MA ll And a Black Widow PCH, the MA is 57 lbs and the PCH is 68 lbs, the best advice I could give is to buy some books or tapes on instinctive shooting and shoot all you can, and then shoot some more, practice makes you proficient or at least capable, you never stop learning with a stickbow
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Traditional 2011/03/30 07:26:56 (permalink)
    Good advise and make sure you shoot good shafts. Good luck and have fun !
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Traditional 2011/03/30 09:08:30 (permalink)
    It is fun! I shoot a 45# Bear Kodiak Hunter. Last year was the first time out in the woods with it. Missed a spooky doe at 12 yrds, hit a limb, all on video to boot. My heart was pounding harder than I can remember killing a deer with my compound. It brings a great challenge. All I can say is shoot everyday this summer. Start at 5 yrds, than 10 and so on.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: Traditional 2011/03/30 11:11:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Pork

Hey guys, just thought I'd bring a little life to this forum....
    So, who shoots traditional? Hunt or just target?

Reason I ask is, dad just gave me his old Bear Kodiak Mag. (52", 50#) & I'm just getting into it, seems like a blast. Found a really good forum for trad. info, but PA's one of the only states without its own subforum, just wondered if there's any local guys here that might offer some advice.

I'll probably just be target shooting for a good long while. Need the practice, that's for sure.
    Anyone have any tips for a newbie shooting for fun?

Thanks in advance.

Go to Bowsite.com and navigate to the PA sub-forum.   Lots of traditional shooters on there and many make ALL their own equipment (bows, strings, arrows, flint heads).

Leatherwall is another good traditional site.
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Traditional 2011/03/30 11:21:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the ideas guys. Tradgang was the forum I've been researching on, but appreciate the info on those other sites. Figured frequent practice would be the common theme. I'm on it.

I guess if you wanted to be technical about it, I'm not jumping into strictly traditional...more of a trad/modern hybrid. I'm using aluminum arrows, field tips & bear razorheads, not sticks & stones....I figure that would add a level of challenge that I'm not up for. Need to develop my technique first.

Thanks again & if anyone wants to fling some arrows sometime let me know.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Traditional 2011/03/30 12:39:07 (permalink)
    I started archery hunting with a 54lb recurve because I got it for practically nothing at a yard sale, I spent about three years with it and never drew blood, I let one arrow go at a doe but shot jusssssst over. Always hunted from the ground, because I just didnt have a treestand. When my dad bought me a used hoyt compound I had had better luck, when I bought a climber I was even luckier. Now I hunt with a new speedy, flat shooting, fancy rig, but last year I got another recurve, 45lb, and started practicing with it. Maybe I will start hunting with a recurve or longbow again, but for now I just dont have the time to put in.

I shot some 3d courses and targets but my clean kill shots are only about 2/3 arrows so for now I'll stick to foam and stumps but it is a lot more satisfying to shoot!

Meadville Field Archers is pretty accomodating for traditional shooters, and watch Arrow Affliction and Easton Bowhunting TV for some nasty traditional shooting action.
    JLBSR
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Traditional 2011/03/30 16:30:18 (permalink)
    Shot straight bow and recurves for many years instictive.   My advice is start at 15yd become proficient and move back 3 feet at a time.  You will become what is called part of the arrows flight and become quite confident.  Remember always your arrow is much slower than with the compound and the deer are more proned to dip the arrow so you aim with that in mind.  No long crazy Hiawatha shots you may hit the deer but will lack penetration.   Shoot, Shoot, then shoot some more.

JB
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Traditional 2011/03/30 23:47:26 (permalink)
    I also stated out with a recurve. Shot the cedar shafts with traditional right helical fletch and the Bear heads as well.I think no other type of shooting teaches more and disciplines the shooter. As the years went by I eased into the compound world instinctive at first but now full blow with all the toys. I still own a custom made recure that I still consider one of my favorites. Glad to hear you have interest in shooting traditionally.
    Jump to: