Taxidermy question

Author
SmMouthSeeker
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 541
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/20 19:59:52 (permalink)

Taxidermy question

This is a question for the Taxidermists or anyone who has had a mount of any kind done. How can I, a person of very little knowledge of Taxidermy, tell if a Taxidermist did a good job? Tell me what to look for. I'm talking every kind of animal rather it's a shouldered deer mount, bird, or fish. Thank you.

15 Replies Related Threads

bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1194
    RE: Taxidermy question 2011/03/20 21:03:21 (permalink)
    id say ;ook for someone recomennend by a sports groud or store of some type...someone thats had work done by them

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

dustydoo
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Taxidermy question 2011/03/20 21:35:43 (permalink)
    Talk to friends,look at older mounts,to see how the've aged. Look at sport stores and restaraunts,some tmes they have a plaque or someone knows who did the mount.If its fish make sure taxidermist does his own fish, some won't volunteer that they send them away.
    ray126
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 238
    RE: Taxidermy question 2011/03/20 23:04:33 (permalink)
    Usually you get what you pay for.Know what the critter looks like not what you think it looks like and ask around.A professional  taxidermist is willing to show past mounts with pride.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Taxidermy question 2011/03/21 12:51:18 (permalink)
          Went through this on the Salmon River post a few months back- First, I am NOT affiliated with the place I'm gonna talk about and Second, was VERY surprised on the River Post how many guys have high regard for the guy I'm gonna mention and use him even though he is far from some of them.
       Northeast Taxidermy in Middletown  Ct.    is the BEST ever on fish and Deer. They have a huge showroom and feature African game as well. I have had Fish, Deer, Yote , Turkey  and Bear done by them and they are perfect in every way.
         Have had a friend or two go over there with me only to bring in their old mounts from other places and have them redone after seeing Northeasts work.
       Fella named Joe owns and operates Northeast and he has several full time employees who have been with him for years. They do excellent work-lets face it anybody spending the bucks to go to Africa and bring stuff back for mounting isnt going to some quack for their work and Joe does a LOT of African game as well as a few hundred deer a year and many fish, Turkey and other American game.
    A good number of the older well established shops along the Salmon River in upstate NY send all their fish to Joe and have done so for many years.
    This is no part time -I'v got a business in the garage or out back of my other business or seasonal place its the real deal.
      There are far too many "taxidermists" who havent got a clue bout the little things that make a mount "right" remember one guy who did all his pheasants with their legs straight back like a duck---dope.
         Dont know if Joe has a website but he will be listed as Northeast Taxidermy in the Middletown Ct. listings.
    Good luck and remember if you gotta ask  if your mount is OK or not it probably isnt.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/03/22 23:46:02
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: Taxidermy question 2011/03/21 14:05:41 (permalink)
    some things to look for on deer are cracks around the eyes on older mounts, feel the ears (if they aren't hard the whole way to the tip, it's done wrong), as far as other mounts... i always paid attention to the eyes and areas around the eyes for cracks.  A friend of ours a few years back was trying to become a taxidermist and explained a lot of things that need to be overcome when you mount an animal... the cracks where the clay/putty areas usually are is a big deal.  my father has 6 or 7 shoulder mounts of bucks that he's shot in archery season and cracks around the nose/eyes/ and ears is a big deal, some of the paint even chipped off the nose area on his mounts

We have 5 turkeys mounted... of the ones done by one taxidermist who didn't send the head out for freeze drying, both have cracked completely (probably about 12-15 years old).  The other 3 have had the heads freeze dried and are still perfect (even after 14 years)

Fish... got a brown trout and a 13" native that were mounted regularly vs a small mouth and palamino which were freeze dried and had the fins fixed... the latter look the best and we've even considered throwing the brown and native away.

There is a lot to look for with any animal, far too much to list I guess... best thing is to go look at the showrooms and watch how they do their work with someone who knows and can explain to you what's going on in person.

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Taxidermy question 2011/03/21 14:17:22 (permalink)
    Just checked on my Putor- Northeast Taxidermy does have a website- just print in in the header and enter- they were the first one listed ( middeltown ct.)
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/03/21 14:19:18
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Taxidermy question 2011/03/21 20:39:02 (permalink)
    When many look at a mount they look at it as a whole. Pay close attention to detail as was mentioned. Rather it be game or fish the mount is only as good as the taxidermists talent to recreate. I like fish that are recreated rather than skin mounts. I just think they look more real. The trophy was also released for one to also enjoy the thrill.
    ORIGINAL: SmMouthSeeker

This is a question for the Taxidermists or anyone who has had a mount of any kind done. How can I, a person of very little knowledge of Taxidermy, tell if a Taxidermist did a good job? Tell me what to look for. I'm talking every kind of animal rather it's a shouldered deer mount, bird, or fish. Thank you.

SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Taxidermy question 2011/03/22 20:58:42 (permalink)
    Thank you to all of you who replied to my question. It's all good advice and I hope others who read them have learned something from them as well. The reason I've asked this question is because I'm considering doing it. I've looked at what seems to be a million mounts of every type. Some impressed me, others not so much.  I've seen those cracks around the eyes and nose before. The stiff ears I've never thought of. That's the type of advice I was looking for. Thank you again. 
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Taxidermy question 2011/03/22 23:33:41 (permalink)
    There's a thread on huntingpa about people showing their bad mounts.   I was crackin' up at some of those pieces.  A cross-eyed coyote comes to mind for some reason.    There were some funny ones.  It's the what NOT to do as a taxidermist.  As with anything, the details is what separates the decent from the great.

Taxidermy is not an easy profession to survive in.  I know a few guys that survive well but are sometimes on the brink of finding other sources of income.   One guy is known world-wide and doesn't even take whitetails much anymore.. exotics only.  Most are part-timers or survive on $20,000-$25,000 profit annually. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Taxidermy question 2011/03/23 02:34:19 (permalink)

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Taxidermy question 2011/03/23 02:37:10 (permalink)
    Choose your taxidermist carefully We've all heard the horror stories about how a friend shot this beautiful, enormous whitetail. He takes it to a guy down the street that assures him that "he can handle the job" of turning this thing into a life-like wall-hanging trophy. The hunter finally gets his deer mount back and swears it is not the deer he shot! To make matters worse, the deer begins to "shrink" once hung in the den and within months the wife is threatening divorce if the "eye-sore" is not retired to the attic! Choosing a taxidermist is sometimes like playing the lottery; there is always a chance you could choose the right one. The PTA suggests a few things to help sportsmen decide if the taxidermist chosen is the right one for them.
    1. Is (s)he licensed by the state?
      In Pennsylvania, a taxidermist must be licensed by the PA Department of Agriculture. In the case of waterfowl or migratory birds, a taxidermist must also hold a federal taxidermy license.
    2. Reputation.
      Simply put, "Have you heard anything bad about the person?" If so, check it out thoroughly. A taxidermist can never please everyone, but it's not out of line to ask for a client list and simply call a few of these and ask them if they were satisfied with the taxidermy work.
    3. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
      Will you guarantee your work? Do you use professionally tanned skins?; Or use dry preservatives? May I see a few finished mounts? How much expertise do you have? Do you have insurance in case something happens to my valuable trophy? Above all, go and look at the individual's work, don't just shop for a cheap price and quick turn-around over the phone. Make an appointment with the taxidermist and ask your questions directly.
    4. Price.
      Price of the finished mount is always a tough call and sometimes hunters get hung up on the price alone. Consider price carefully and always remember the saying "you get what you pay for" wasn't dreamed up yesterday. If one taxidermist is mounting deer heads for $150 less than most others, be suspicious of the quality going into the work. Buy the best quality you can afford. After all, you may have waited a lifetime for this special trophy. Picking your taxidermist carefully will assure your trophy really will last a lifetime.

SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Taxidermy question 2011/03/24 21:29:31 (permalink)
    Thank you Silverkype and pghmarty.  Pghmarty, I checked out the site you gave me and I learned a few things. Silverkype, I'll look in to yours as well. 
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Taxidermy question 2011/04/01 10:09:05 (permalink)
    There was a taxidermy show on TV last night where they showed 3 places from various parts of the country doing mounts- They featured Northeast as one of them.
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Taxidermy question 2011/04/03 19:03:30 (permalink)
    I watched it too.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Taxidermy question 2011/04/03 21:21:48 (permalink)
    I know those guys and as with most TV there seemed to be a certain amount of "for TV' put on from what I could see.  Seems to be similar with all those Reality shows. Its actually a lot more professional over there, without all that arguing.
    Jump to: