North Central PA fishing

Author
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/18 00:11:27 (permalink)

North Central PA fishing

Well, it looks like a move may be in my future. I have been called by a church in Athens, PA to consider coming as their new pastor. Only about 4 hours away, so I will still make plenty of time for getting back here to fish. And also up to Pulaski, Oswego, Catherine Creek, etc. And I will be an hour or so from PA Grand Canyon.

But, does anyone know of fishing around Sayre, Towanda, Athens?

24 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/18 07:31:44 (permalink)
    Pray in the Bay....the fish here need you too.

Good luck duud!

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/18 13:27:20 (permalink)
    i know nothing about north central pa fishing, but God bless you in your new calling!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/18 13:43:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: cbeagler

Well, it looks like a move may be in my future. I have been called by a church in Athens, PA to consider coming as their new pastor. Only about 4 hours away, so I will still make plenty of time for getting back here to fish. And also up to Pulaski, Oswego, Catherine Creek, etc. And I will be an hour or so from PA Grand Canyon.

But, does anyone know of fishing around Sayre, Towanda, Athens?

Yes. It's been a few years, but the Chemung River, near the NY state line, used to fish really, really well for walleyes. I'd imagine smallmouth too.

Good luck.

edit: when I say a few years, I mean 8-10 not 30. haha.

post edited by D-nymph - 2011/03/18 13:44:35
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6389
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/18 14:06:11 (permalink)
    There are numerous small feeder streams in the area that hold nice populations of trout, and the larger rivers have good smallmouth and cat populations.  You'll just have to go out and look for the best spots for you.  Also my congratulations on your new parsonage.

Alittle over an hour south of you there is a stream called Sugar Run just outside of Mehoopany, PA that runs thru State Game Lands that used to have some very nice fish in it!
    post edited by indsguiz - 2011/03/18 14:12:25

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/18 14:47:20 (permalink)
    I grew up in the Valley and can promise you that your fishing opportunities will not be limited.  You have the Susquehanna and Chemung Rivers in your back yard.  They are just about as fertile for warmwater fisheries as you will find anywhere in the country.  Trout fishing is very solid with several streams within an hour of your location both in NY and PA.  Less than an hour north is the Finger Lakes which are unbelievable fisheries all year around for cold and warmwater species.  If you like to hunt, deer and turkeys are more than plentiful and upland game prevails with grouse and rabbits.  On a side note be real cautious of you speed on 86 between Chemung and your exit at Rt. 220.  Also, watch 220 as the South Waverly and Sayre PD's thrive on tickets...  keep in touch as you finalize plans and I can give you tips for the area.  One final thing, there is a bait shop in Waverly (Wright's- run by Gina and Steve).  They are good people and will get you going in the right direction.  Good Luck and I am jealous.  Thought I was finished... You mentioned Catherine's.  Plain and simple it is a zoo on the opener and is overrated in the spring.  December... that's a different story (rainbows primarily and some are very large), but there are other streams that offer fall runs of Landlocked Atlantics and Giant Browns that I would prefer personally. 
    post edited by griffon - 2011/03/18 15:13:40
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/18 15:22:25 (permalink)
    If your willing to take a small drive over to Potter county, check out Kettle creek in the Ole Bull state park area, it will be well worth your drive.  It's one of my favorite trout streams in the state, and I believe they stock it about 5 times a year.

You have all kinds of stocked and native trout streams not to far south of those three towns.   The Grand Canyon area probably has the most native bookie streams of anywhere in the state.  There all over the place, just look at the PFBC stream map.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/18 15:57:11 (permalink)
    I,m sure God will take care of your fishing needs Pastor , He knows the desires of our hearts, and some of His main men were fishermen. Yeah there was a tax collector in the mix too but we wont go there.. You,ll probably have some knowledgeable fisher persons in the congregation. Take care and may the Lord richly bless your ministry . 
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/18 23:15:17 (permalink)
    Wow, thanks guys.

Slick, I will still make it back to pray in the bay. Keeping the house here.

Alex, thank you. Keep us in prayer--the church still has to vote and i still have to say yes. But it is leaning that way.

Indy: I will definitely check out sugar run, and it has been a while since I fished the rivers.

Don: Thank you for reminding me of the walleye.I have to dig out my jointed rapalas and get the motor ready on the jon boat.

Steel: kettle creek is great! Been through there quite a bit. When I pastored in Wellsboro (Draper), Stony Fork creek ran right past the parsonage where i lived.  Tiadoughton was my back yard, Loved the dun hatches. Looking forward to getting back there. Last time I was through Ole Bull it was 1AM and I was praying that I would not hit an elk.

Mike: a BIG thank you and i will look up the bait shop that you mentioned. I will watch my speed--not a problem last time because I was behind a well rigger truck. All...the...way..from...Muncy.

Roger: Thanks! remember the tax collector got right with God and followed Him. Thank you for the encouragement and the blessing.

nysteelieguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/19 06:13:56 (permalink)
    Check out Pine Creek Outfitters website. Rent a bike--they will drive you to the trail-pedal into the Canyon and enjoy!
    streamerfisher1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/19 12:07:15 (permalink)
    I know nothing about the fishing out in that part of the state but im sure the good lord will show you where to cast your lines. Good luck with your new ministry and may god bless you and your new family.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/19 18:06:18 (permalink)
    C. Being a pastor in the Valley makes you part of a very small world. You are about to become friends and colleagues with many people that I consider to be my closest all time friends. At some time (if this indeed comes through), lets have a talk. If nothing else we can exchange phone numbers. I will be up over Memorial day (fishing trip with my dad and my son). I will also be there over the 4th of July and for my 25 class reunion in September. If nothing else, perhaps we can share breakfast at the Town Diner or the old Keystone Inn (you will quickly learn of them: small towns...). Best of Luck and God Bless. Oh back to fishing, Kettle is fine but it is a haul. The W.B.Delaware is Blue Ribbon and only an hour... There is also a stream that will be 20 minutes from you that is full of giant native and stocked browns that will push the 10 pound barrier.
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/21 00:44:46 (permalink)
    Thanks all. I just got back from round 1. I have a question nd answer time with the church this coming saturday, then i preach on Sunday, and the church votes that night. If all goes positive, it will probably be June or July before I move. Danny has to graduate yet.
    imrinc
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/22 07:32:18 (permalink)
    I see you are keeping your house here - I was going to say, you are welcome here anytime you want to go for steelhead.

Of course, there might be some arm twisting when I want a change of scenery to fish in your new neck of the woods!

North Platte Bum
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/22 14:59:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: cbeagler

Don: Thank you for reminding me of the walleye.I have to dig out my jointed rapalas and get the motor ready on the jon boat.

Chemung, at least where I fished it, literally, right near the NY state line, is too small for a boat. Canoe, yea. Great summer wet wading water.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/23 08:14:35 (permalink)
    Beagler, you will find your jonboat to be a perfect setup in the Chemung and Suesq.  Every angler up there practically utilizes them.  You may need to get out and walk it through some areas on both areas, but that is short and the boat will take itself through the riffles without anglers inside it.  There are now state ramps every 5-10 miles on the entire Chemung River. 
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/23 13:33:11 (permalink)
    Either license for the river? NY or PA?
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/24 00:36:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: imrinc

I see you are keeping your house here - I was going to say, you are welcome here anytime you want to go for steelhead.

Of course, there might be some arm twisting when I want a change of scenery to fish in your new neck of the woods!

Thanks John. I am looking forward to getting to know the area again. I was ordained just up the road from there, went to Bible College in Binghamton, had friends in Elmira, Watkins Glen, and Horseheads. I pastored a church in Wellsboro and used to make hospital calls in Sayre.

So, I will scout it out.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/24 05:47:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: griffon

C. Being a pastor in the Valley makes you part of a very small world. You are about to become friends and colleagues with many people that I consider to be my closest all time friends. At some time (if this indeed comes through), lets have a talk. If nothing else we can exchange phone numbers. I will be up over Memorial day (fishing trip with my dad and my son). I will also be there over the 4th of July and for my 25 class reunion in September. If nothing else, perhaps we can share breakfast at the Town Diner or the old Keystone Inn (you will quickly learn of them: small towns...). Best of Luck and God Bless. Oh back to fishing, Kettle is fine but it is a haul. The W.B.Delaware is Blue Ribbon and only an hour... There is also a stream that will be 20 minutes from you that is full of giant native and stocked browns that will push the 10 pound barrier.

the East branch and sections of the main stem were always a preference of mine rather than the west branch. A pontoon isn't completely necessary, but you definitely benefit from one.... good luck
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/24 06:42:54 (permalink)
    That's cool ! Was raised in Horseheads, saw some races at Watkins and had a couple glider rides off Harris Hill. Man, that was YEARS ago !! Loved the area, best wishes in your endeavors.

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/24 07:44:35 (permalink)
    Great stuff.  Cbeagler, you will need a license from each state.  Gizmos, that is cool my wife is from Horseheads.  You two may have crossed paths at one time or another.  If you played sports for Horseheads in the mid 80's then you and I probably crossed paths as well.  Dime, that entire system is awesome.   
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/03/24 08:25:12 (permalink)
    Been almost 40 years. What an old age reality check just typing that !

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/04/15 10:55:36 (permalink)
    Well, it is official. I will be going to Athens/Sayre area in mid June. Lot of changes this year. Moving, taking on a new ministry, son leaving for college in the fall. Soooo. I will be able to fish both Erie and Pulaski--I try my best to complain about the fishing conditions here to keep them there.

So what will that make me? I think I will still be a local--I have so much Erie sand embedded in my feet that that they never really even touch "foreign" soil.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/04/15 12:38:09 (permalink)
    Once you leave Erie, you will spend the rest of your life TRYING to get back!! I know, I left in 1993 and have been dreaming about moving back for the last 18 years. No freshwater fishing in the world even comes close. Think about it. Walleye average 8 lbs,Steelys average 6-8 lbs(also tons of them EVERY year), Smallys average 5 lbs, Huge perch.....etc.  Man do I hate living in Central Pa. On a bright note I will be retiring on a full pension in 7 years and 8 months at the ripe old age of 47.   DON"T LEAVE ERIE.
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    RE: North Central PA fishing 2011/04/15 16:52:00 (permalink)
    This is the second time I've been back. Went in the Navy, parents moved to DC. Got out of the Navy and only lasted in DC about a month and moved back to erie. Left in 95 to go in to the ministry, came back in 2009. Now leaving again. Will most likely retire here. 
    Jump to: