Deer Still A Problem ??

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 7 of 8
Author
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 18:45:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DarDys

ORIGINAL: RSB

ORIGINAL: World Famous

Game Comm brought them in secretly to eat more deer; not sure how much damage they do to the yote population. I'm really not qualified to answer that aspect of the decision to import them. Probably another of my mistakes...WF

Are you nuts? Where do you come up with such nonsense?

Where is there one shred of evidence of anyone EVER releasing ANY gray wolves in this state, other than perhaps some citizen that might have released a hybrid they had licensed as a dog?

R.S. Bodenhorn

"Lighten up Francis," said Sgt. Hulka.

It was obviously a joke.  I guess everyone figured that except you.

Yea right. It was only a joke after he got called on it. I highly suspect he figured he would throw it out there hoping some readers would believe it to be true.

If he meant it as a joke that is fine, I am just making sure everyone knows it is either a joke or pure nonsense.

R.S. Bodenhorn
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 18:57:32 (permalink)
It was you who said that the special regulations units were only able to harvest the ten to eighteen deer per square mile each year, and year after year, because of all the areas hunters couldn’t go.

If that were true then you should go ahead and explain just how many deer they have per square mile on those lands that are 20% developed lands with virtually no deer habitat. Where hunters are harvesting an average of fifteen deer per square mile in units that are ten to twenty percent buildings and roads either they aren’t being protected in very many places or there are an awful lot of deer in those places they can hunt.

Unit 5C only has 965.53 square miles of forested land so that is all that would be considered as deer habitat with escape cover. They have had an average deer harvest of 32.14 deer per forested square mile yet you tell us the only reason they have that many deer is because of all the protected areas where hunters can’t harvest deer. If that is true, and since hunters rarely harvest even a third of the deer population even where they have full access to the land then they must have well over a hundred deer per square mile on those lands where all those deer you are talking about go to avoid being harvested.

What I was pointing out is just have ridicules it is to believe the reason the special regulations unit have so many deer is because they are protected form harvest. If where true then they wouldn’t be harvesting an average of fifteen deer per square mile unless there were literally hundreds of deer per square mile on some of those lands. If you didn’t either have a comprehension problem or were being honest, honorable and objective you would have recognized the point as what it was. The point was and still is that the deer aren’t being protected in those special regulations units they are being hammered by hunters and their populations are still high. In fact snipers in those units are still killing a lot of deer at night because hunters can’t even get enough to control the populations. Add those that the snipers kill and you can see just how hard it is to over harvest a deer population if hunters can kill that many and snipers are killing even more yet there are still more and more deer to harvest each year.

The fact is the deer are proving that hunters can’t over harvest their numbers where there is suitable habitat to sustain high deer numbers. The deer in the big woods units are also proving that if you under harvest them the population is not going to increase and very well might decline instead.

I think if hunters really were smart they would be demanding that deer be managed using the methods that are proven to result in sustainable high populations and harvests instead of the proven failed method of harvesting fewer to get more. Harvesting fewer to get more has been proven not to work yet hunters keep demanding to continue down that proven failure road time after time.

All i can say is WOW. lol.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/03/30 18:58:28
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 19:03:41 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: deerfly

ORIGINAL: RSB

ORIGINAL: S-10

RSB
If they were protecting that many deer in the unhunted areas there would have to be hundreds if not thousands of deer per square mile on those unhunted lands for them to harvest that many deer where they are hunting them.

Ok math expert show me the math to back that statement up.

You are the one throwing out the challenge so why don’t you go ahead and prove I was wrong in what I said?

I already proved you wrong once today and don’t feel like wasting all evening repeatedly proving you don’t know what you are talking about. Most people wiling to be objective have already figured it out anyway.

R.S. Bodenhorn

You haven't proven anyone wrong regarding the harvest rate of 2.5+ buck and here is the data that proves you are flat out wrong.

% of 2.5+ % Total Harvest
2.5 buck 71%=43,114 25%
3.5 buck 21%= 10,090 7%
4.5 buck 5% = 2,402 2%
5.5+ buck 3%=1,441 1%

If the vast majority of 1.5 and 2,5 buck survived as the study showed, then the majority of bucks harvested would be 3.5 and 4.5+ buck. But the data from 2006 shows that 71% of the 2.5+ buck harvested were 2.5 yrs. and 3.5+ buck comprised only 10% of the total buck harvest.

So, you are wrong again!!!!

There you are trying to use statewide data to prove something related to a single unit again.

That is simply a flim-flam job at its finest. Only someone with no honor at all would use such a deceptive tactic.

We were talking about unit 2G where hunters only harvested 7200 bucks yet you decide to post statewide data that includes the data from units where they harvested over 10,000 bucks. Wouldn’t any honest person expect the units where they harvest many more bucks would dilute the results from the units with a lower harvest?

The second dishonest and less than honorable thing you did was cherry pick data from the 2006 buck harvest instead of using the year, 2009, which we had been discussing with the percentage of collared bucks harvested in the study units.

If you provide the percentage of bucks in each of those age brackets for the various units and the same year it would then perhaps have some relevance. Otherwise all you are doing is proving just how dishonest you are in the data you use.

R.S. Bodenhorn
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 19:12:12 (permalink)
There you are trying to use statewide data to prove something related to a single unit again.

That is simply a flim-flam job at its finest. Only someone with no honor at all would use such a deceptive tactic

You mean like when you tried use sras to show the deer herd couldnt be overharvested with unlimited tags in other areas of the state? lmao.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/03/30 19:15:43
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 19:15:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: deerfly

How has that worked out? Are the 2G hunters seeing more deer with the major reductions in antlerless allocations?

Now let's take a look at the results of your theory of deer management. The high antlerless harvests from 1988 reduced the OWDD from around 25 DPSM to 15 DPSM and the herd then remained stable until 2002 when high antlerless harvests reduced the herd to 8 DPSM.

So, after over 20 years of HR in 2G breeding rates have not increased, recruitment has not increased , the forest health in 2G is the only WMU where the forest health is rated as poor and you claim that the habitat is still controlling the herd.

Yea let’s take a look at what you just posted. Not that I agree with those estimated over winter deer densities but since they are meaningless anyway you can use them if you want.

As you pointed out back in the 80s there were more deer in unit 2G. For whatever reason the population declined over the past twenty years to where there are now fewer deer. Though I don’t agree with your estimated number we can go ahead and using your estimated population of just 8 deer per square mile.

But, ALL that matters is that very last sentence you posted……. “So, after over 20 years of HR in 2G breeding rates have not increased, recruitment has not increased , the forest health in 2G is the only WMU where the forest health is rated as poor and you claim that the habitat is still controlling the herd.”

What should those facts alone tell a person of even reasonable intelligence? If the deer numbers are still declining and the habitat is still POOR why wouldn’t a logical thinking person come to the conclusion that the POOR habitat isn’t capable of supporting more deer and the only way to have more deer is to have IMPROVED habitat?

But, thanks for proving even more information that proves the point I have trying to get across.

R.S. Bodenhorn
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 19:20:44 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: wayne c

It was you who said that the special regulations units were only able to harvest the ten to eighteen deer per square mile each year, and year after year, because of all the areas hunters couldn’t go.

If that were true then you should go ahead and explain just how many deer they have per square mile on those lands that are 20% developed lands with virtually no deer habitat. Where hunters are harvesting an average of fifteen deer per square mile in units that are ten to twenty percent buildings and roads either they aren’t being protected in very many places or there are an awful lot of deer in those places they can hunt.

Unit 5C only has 965.53 square miles of forested land so that is all that would be considered as deer habitat with escape cover. They have had an average deer harvest of 32.14 deer per forested square mile yet you tell us the only reason they have that many deer is because of all the protected areas where hunters can’t harvest deer. If that is true, and since hunters rarely harvest even a third of the deer population even where they have full access to the land then they must have well over a hundred deer per square mile on those lands where all those deer you are talking about go to avoid being harvested.

What I was pointing out is just have ridicules it is to believe the reason the special regulations unit have so many deer is because they are protected form harvest. If where true then they wouldn’t be harvesting an average of fifteen deer per square mile unless there were literally hundreds of deer per square mile on some of those lands. If you didn’t either have a comprehension problem or were being honest, honorable and objective you would have recognized the point as what it was. The point was and still is that the deer aren’t being protected in those special regulations units they are being hammered by hunters and their populations are still high. In fact snipers in those units are still killing a lot of deer at night because hunters can’t even get enough to control the populations. Add those that the snipers kill and you can see just how hard it is to over harvest a deer population if hunters can kill that many and snipers are killing even more yet there are still more and more deer to harvest each year.

The fact is the deer are proving that hunters can’t over harvest their numbers where there is suitable habitat to sustain high deer numbers. The deer in the big woods units are also proving that if you under harvest them the population is not going to increase and very well might decline instead.

I think if hunters really were smart they would be demanding that deer be managed using the methods that are proven to result in sustainable high populations and harvests instead of the proven failed method of harvesting fewer to get more. Harvesting fewer to get more has been proven not to work yet hunters keep demanding to continue down that proven failure road time after time.

All i can say is WOW. lol.

I don’t guess anyone is too surprised that you don’t get it.

R.S. Bodenhorn
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 19:22:59 (permalink)
Somebody needs a pill...WF
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 19:34:30 (permalink)

That is simply a flim-flam job at its finest. Only someone with no honor at all would use such a deceptive tactic

You mean like when you tried use sras to show the deer herd couldnt be overharvested with unlimited tags in other areas of the state? lmao.

It appears you might be as dishonest and dishonorable as he just proved to be.

Can you show anywhere that I used statewide data to represent what is happening in any single unit? I am sure you can’t because it is something I don’t do.

I will post the data from various units, and generally in harvests per square mile, so it can validly be compared from one unit to another. There is noting deceptive about that and is a very valid way to show what works well and what doesn’t.

As for your comment concerning unlimited antlerless tags and the affect they have, I have just two questions. Can you show where unlimited antlerless tags have had any damaging affect in any unit they have been used? How do you know unlimited antlerless rags wouldn’t result in more hunting opportunities, increasing deer harvests and still higher sustainable populations in other units where it has never been tried?

Unlimited antlerless allocations has resulted in both high deer harvests and populations everywhere it has been tried. It seems to me once things are proven to work to the hunter’s advantage smart hunters would want to do more of the same over larger areas to see if it might work there too.

R.S. Bodenhorn

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 19:58:14 (permalink)
It appears you might be as dishonest and dishonorable as he just proved to be.

ha ha ha. Yeah, everyone is dishonest except you. lmao.

Can you show anywhere that I used statewide data to represent what is happening in any single unit? I am sure you can’t because it is something I don’t do.

Nice twist of words sir. Youre right, you didnt do that. You did the exact opposite. Used a couple of the most extreme nonrepresentative of the state overall units you cold find with the sras to speak to the state overall. lmao. Thats even worse.

"As for your comment concerning unlimited antlerless tags and the affect they have, I have just two questions. Can you show where unlimited antlerless tags have had any damaging affect in any unit they have been used?"

I can do better than that. I could point to most nonsra units that have had herd decreased using LESS than unlimited tags. 2a is the only "NONSRA" unit i know of off the top of my head that has had basically what amounts to unlimited tags with 55,000+ for several years and the herd had declined and it did so with large allocations of 32k+ starting a few years prior. And here is the resulting buck harvests--

2000----13700
2001----11600
2002-----9900
2003-----7500
2004-----7800
2005-----8500
2006-----8100
2007-----6600
2008-----6700
2009-----6800
2010-----5800

Nope no decline there! lmao!

"How do you know unlimited antlerless rags wouldn’t result in more hunting opportunities, increasing deer harvests and still higher sustainable populations in other units where it has never been tried?"

Because the herds were reduced using far fewer than unlimited tags in most if not all "normal" nonurban units.

I dont know if its true, or how significant the changes will be, but i hear the rediculous decline in the buck harvest is why split season is being proposed for 2a, and possibly allocation reduction. Though im not expecting much, more for show than anything else im sure. When starting with around 55k tags to begin with, and not all sell anyway, and also considering many fewer tags had originally reduced the herd prior to the 55k, plus the fact the herd is now smaller it would take significant reductions in allocations to make any difference at all.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/03/30 20:16:25
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 20:05:51 (permalink)
Here is what another nonurban unit with very high allocation got as a result. A very high allocations of between 47 amd 75000 did for 2c buck harvest for the last several years: Luckily for them, i heard they got some much needed allocation reductions & went to the split season which may or may not help somewhat, though i dont recall the particulars of this past year or twos allocation there, and am too busy at the moment to look up. Dont know if their ship has been "righted" now or if it were just a token gesture.

2000---17200
2001---14000
2002---12000
2003---11200
2004----8600
2005----7400
2006----9000
2007----8400
2008----7500
2009----6500
post edited by wayne c - 2011/03/30 20:13:21
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 20:19:26 (permalink)
Now if im any good at predictions, you'll ignore the facts, and post a big chart that shows absolutely nothing hoping to confuse everyone, or at least take attention away from the agenda damaging posts. lol.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 20:39:01 (permalink)
What I was pointing out is just have ridicules it is to believe the reason the special regulations unit have so many deer is because they are protected form harvest

And yet the exact reason given for permitting baiting in those WMU's was to try to draw all those deer out from those many areas where they are protected from harvest. This is another case where I will just let you tell your leaders they don't know what they are talking about and should just listen to you.
post edited by S-10 - 2011/03/31 12:59:19
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 20:42:57 (permalink)
Unit 5C only has 965.53 square miles of forested land so that is all that would be considered as deer habitat with escape cover.

I doubt many urban hunters or the PGC's own biologists would agree with that statement. Deer are a creature of the edges, remember. Besides it's access that counts not land mass.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 21:25:49 (permalink)
Unit 5C only has 965.53 square miles of forested land so that is all that would be considered as deer habitat with escape cover

Yep. "nother load of manure is what that statement is. "forested" designation excludes plenty of great deer habitat. Any area with any cover whatsoever that doesnt contain a certain percentage of saplings is not counted as forested. That excludes many reverting fields, many blackberry, multiflora rose or other patches, lots of edge habitat, and standing corn or any fields at all for that matter that may provide food and/or cover, cattail sloughs etc.

Course we all know deer dont feed or hide in any of those places. lol.

You end up with incorrect conclusions when you base your conclusion on data you dont understand or if you do not use some basic common sense liberally in your assessment.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/03/30 21:27:14
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 22:07:23 (permalink)

I can do better than that. I could point to most nonsra units that have had herd decreased using LESS than unlimited tags. 2a is the only "NONSRA" unit i know of off the top of my head that has had basically what amounts to unlimited tags with 55,000+ for several years and the herd had declined and it did so with large allocations of 32k+ starting a few years prior. And here is the resulting buck harvests--

2000----13700
2001----11600
2002-----9900
2003-----7500
2004-----7800
2005-----8500
2006-----8100
2007-----6600
2008-----6700
2009-----6800
2010-----5800

Nope no decline there! lmao!

Here is what another nonurban unit with very high allocation got as a result. A very high allocations of between 47 amd 75000 did for 2c buck harvest for the last several years: Luckily for them, i heard they got some much needed allocation reductions & went to the split season which may or may not help somewhat, though i dont recall the particulars of this past year or twos allocation there, and am too busy at the moment to look up. Dont know if their ship has been "righted" now or if it were just a token gesture.

2000---17200
2001---14000
2002---12000
2003---11200
2004----8600
2005----7400
2006----9000
2007----8400
2008----7500
2009----6500

First of all any buck harvests you posted prior to 2002 can’t honestly be compared to the years after 2002 because antler restrictions prevent a lot of bucks from being legal for harvest.

Then the 2A buck harvest remained stable and even increased right up to the time EHD (a nature deer population reduction instead of hunter harvests) reduced the 2A deer population in 2007. The buck harvests were even on the increase again right up to this year and don’t think we know yet why they declined this year. One year of low harvest data doesn’t show a trend and it might bounce right back again next year.

You can’t blame the 2A 2007 natural deer reduction from the EHD outbreak on hunter harvests.

But all indications are that the 2A deer herd is still pretty stable since it maintained the third highest harvest in both bucks and antlerless deer last season, which was the highest in the state behind two of the special regulations units.

As for the 2C buck harvest data the same thing applies to using the before antler restriction data there too. You just can’t do that and honestly us the comparison data when representing deer populations. It is not an honest representation.

It is also interesting to note that the buck harvests declined in the unit, using your data, declined by 32,000 from one year to the next even before antler restrictions or any attempt to reduce the deer populations in the unit.

The next thing I see shows high buck harvests, even with antler restrictions, right up to the second year of the back to back harsh winters in 2004, then the buck harvests declined for a couple years. That might very well have been from a natural population decline but the fact the numbers increased again in 2006 shows that the herd was still stable or perhaps even increasing.

Then in 2007 that area was also affected by the EHD natural herd reduction and the harvest results the next few years possible reflect that once again natural herd reduction.

But, what I find the most interesting is how you neglected to include the 2010 buck harvest results. Was that because they show that the herd has bounced right back up to where it was before the EHD natural herd reduction? Were you really trying to be dishonest and less than honorable when you failed to provide the 2010 data? Well have no fear I put the 2010 2C buck harvest data in there so all can see how the herd is remaining stable and possibly even on the increase.

R.S. Bodenhorn
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 22:47:30 (permalink)
"First of all any buck harvests you posted prior to 2002 can’t honestly be compared to the years after 2002 because antler restrictions prevent a lot of bucks from being legal for harvest."

No, because they wouldve been later after the first year. Also, theyre valid if for no other reason than it speaks to hunter satisfaction. Do you think hunters were happier killing over 13,700 bucks in the unit? or 5800? And the decline continued since antler restrictions anyway. So no matter how you look at it... But im sure anyone who delves occaissionally within the realm of reality realizes our deer herd was larger here in 2000 than it was at any point since and for most years substantially so. PGC's annual reports data confirms this as well as if we needed the extra confirmation. lol.

Then the 2A buck harvest remained stable and even increased right up to the time EHD (a nature deer population reduction instead of hunter harvests) reduced the 2A deer population in 2007.

we lost 1800 in buck harvest since antler restrictions BEFORE ehd in 2007. Then we've lost more since. Also pgc said the herd had fully recovered the next season. They didnt adjust allocations either. According to your theory of you just cant kill enough deer, the herd should have doubled after the losses of ehd! But no matter how you look at it, ehd didnt give us a ridiculous modern day low harvest of 5800 bucks last year 3 years later. lol

"One year of low harvest data doesn’t show a trend and it might bounce right back again next year."

Not when it was EXTREMELY and ridiculously low. And continuing a trend. It was not one year. And there were no variables that would have a maleffect on our harvest that year. Not weather here, which was FAR better than the previous two years, and not less hunters....we've been touted as the place to be down here for years by pgc to the media. 55,000 tags year after year have had an effect. Our harvests just prior to that were in the 6700-6800 range and thats ridiculous to begin with for this region.

"But all indications are that the 2A deer herd is still pretty stable since it maintained the third highest harvest in both bucks and antlerless deer last season, which was the highest in the state behind two of the special regulations units."

Lmao. Yeah. Give all the other units in the state 55,000 doe tags and see if they dont harvest more than they did last year. lol Unfortunately as you can see by our buck harvests, and even our doe harvests which have been declining, our harvests havent been sustainable.

"As for the 2C buck harvest data the same thing applies to using the before antler restriction data there too. You just can’t do that and honestly us the comparison data when representing deer populations. It is not an honest representation. "

Its just fine. There shouldnt be much difference at all after the first year, from ar alone. A small amount. But feel free to exclude those years up to the first year of antler restrictions. As you can see in 2002 they killed 12,000 bucks in 2009 only a paltry 6500. Cut by almost half and thats not even going back to the highest buck harvests!!!

"But, what I find the most interesting is how you neglected to include the 2010 buck harvest results. Was that because they show that the herd has bounced right back up to where it was before the EHD natural herd reduction? Were you really trying to be dishonest and less than honorable when you failed to provide the 2010 data? Well have no fear I put the 2010 2C buck harvest data in there so all can see how the herd is remaining stable and possibly even on the increase."

You sure are paranoid, and it often effects your common sense. After all this time, you know the word "deceit" should never be used in the same sentence as my name. Actually i didnt include it because they were under a different season structure then they had been every year prior by going to the split season.[link]http://www.ammoland.com/2010/01/26/pennsylvania-board-to-split-rifle-deer-seasons/[/link] How did THAT effect the buck harvest by having buck only for the first week chief? I included 2a's 2010 harvest because it had NOT been one of the units that was placed under concurrent seasons so we were still comparing apples and apples.

Though it doesnt really matter that you are scrambling to grasp for anything you can. Using 2010, its still one HELLUVA decrease from 12000 or 17000 and not only that, you can clearly see the season structure change effected the buck harvest, since it was on a downward trend, and making the change last year gave them the highest buck harvest in 6 years.lol And no matter which of the years you use, it shows you are wrong, that tags do and have effected the herd size. And that probably isnt "unlimited" tags for 2c, if they could sell possibly even more and their herd would have plummeted farther yet.

But its clear you have an excuse for everything. lol

I'll let the others debate you on this thread from here on out. I dont mind debating issues when the opposition is posed in a rational manner, but I believe ive more than cleared up all your misconceptions, and i have a low tolerance level for pure bull-. G'night.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/03/30 23:02:18
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 22:59:55 (permalink)

"First of all any buck harvests you posted prior to 2002 can’t honestly be compared to the years after 2002 because antler restrictions prevent a lot of bucks from being legal for harvest."

No, because they wouldve been later after the first year. Also, theyre valid if for no other reason than it speaks to hunter satisfaction. Do you think hunters were happier killing over 13,700 bucks in the unit? or 5800? And the decline continued since antler restrictions anyway. So no matter how you look at it....

Then the 2A buck harvest remained stable and even increased right up to the time EHD (a nature deer population reduction instead of hunter harvests) reduced the 2A deer population in 2007.

we lost 1800 in buck harvest since antler restrictions BEFORE ehd in 2007. Then we've lost more since. Also pgc said the herd had fully recovered the next season. They didnt adjust allocations either. According to your theory of you just cant kill enough deer, the herd should have doubled after the losses of ehd! But no matter how you look at it, ehd didnt give us a ridiculous modern day low harvest of 5800 bucks last year 3 years later. lol

"One year of low harvest data doesn’t show a trend and it might bounce right back again next year."

Not when it was EXTREMELY and ridiculously low. And continuing a trend. It was not one year. And there were no variables that would have a maleffect on our harvest that year. Not weather here, which was FAR better than the previous two years, and not less hunters....we've been touted as the place to be down here for years by pgc to the media. 55,000 tags year after year have had an effect. Our harvests just prior to that were in the 6700-6800 range and thats ridiculous to begin with for this region.

"But all indications are that the 2A deer herd is still pretty stable since it maintained the third highest harvest in both bucks and antlerless deer last season, which was the highest in the state behind two of the special regulations units."

Lmao. Yeah. Give all the other units in the state 55,000 doe tags and see if they dont harvest more than they did last year. lol Unfortunately as you can see by our buck harvests, and even our doe harvests which have been declining, our harvests havent been sustainable.

"As for the 2C buck harvest data the same thing applies to using the before antler restriction data there too. You just can’t do that and honestly us the comparison data when representing deer populations. It is not an honest representation. "

Its just fine. There shouldnt be much difference at all after the first year, from ar alone. A small amount. But feel free to exclude those years up to the first year of antler restrictions. As you can see in 2002 they killed 12,000 bucks in 2009 only a paltry 6500. Cut by almost half and thats not even going back to the highest buck harvests!!!

"But, what I find the most interesting is how you neglected to include the 2010 buck harvest results. Was that because they show that the herd has bounced right back up to where it was before the EHD natural herd reduction? Were you really trying to be dishonest and less than honorable when you failed to provide the 2010 data? Well have no fear I put the 2010 2C buck harvest data in there so all can see how the herd is remaining stable and possibly even on the increase."

You sure are paranoid, and it often effects your common sense. After all this time, you know the word "deceit" should never be used in the same sentence as my name. Actually i didnt include it because they were under a different season structure then they had been every year prior by going to the split season.[link]http://www.ammoland.com/2010/01/26/pennsylvania-board-to-split-rifle-deer-seasons/[/link] How did THAT effect the buck harvest by having buck only for the first week chief? I included 2a's 2010 harvest because it had NOT been one of the units that was placed under concurrent seasons so we were still comparing apples and apples.

Though it doesnt really matter that you are scrambling to grasp for anything you can. Using 2010, its still one HELLUVA decrease from 12000 or 17000 and not only that, you can clearly see the season structure change effected the buck harvest, since it was on a downward trend, and making the change last year gave them the highest buck harvest in 6 years.lol And no matter which of the years you use, it shows you are wrong, that tags do and have effected the herd size. And that probably isnt "unlimited" tags for 2c, if they could sell possibly even more and their herd would have plummeted farther yet.

But its clear you have an excuse for everything. lol

I'll let the others debate you on this thread from here on out. I dont mind debating issues when the opposition is posed in a rational manner, but I believe ive more than cleared up all your misconceptions, and i have a low tolerance level for pure bull-. G'night.

I guess people will just have to look at the data, what you posted and what I posted and decide what is the most logical to them. They will also form an opinion about why you would have excluded the 2010 data for unit 2C but included it for 2A.

In my opinion omission of data that doesn’t fit your opinion is just another form of deceit though.

We both already know you will have a following in the three or four usual suspects. But, I figure the more logical and objective readers will tend to agree with what I pointed out.

R.S. Bodenhorn
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/30 23:12:50 (permalink)
They will also form an opinion about why you would have excluded the 2010 data for unit 2C but included it for 2A.

They dont have to form an "opinion" when ive already stated the "fact". And if they dont have the simple comprehension skill to figure that out then you might just be lucky enough to find one person here that agrees with the bizarre notions youve come up with the last coupla nights that allocations are meaningless. lmao.

And if we overlook the obvious and use 2010 it still makes you look like a fool because 8500 is far less than either 17200 in 2000 or the first year of ar at 12,000.

Anyway, caught your nonsense as i was getting ready to sign off after cleaning up some sloppiness in my last post. Anyway, dont go away mad. Im pretty educated on these issues and if i choose to post, you better believe, im not gonna pull stuff outta my keister, or make up vivid tales and excuses when foot gets stuck into mouth, unlike some. G'night.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/03/30 23:14:39
deerfly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1271
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/31 08:41:11 (permalink)

Wrong again!!! I said nothing about 2G in the post where I provided the percentages of the various age groups from 2006. This discussion began when I question how we could harvest more 2.5+ buck than 1.5 buck two years in a row. You claimed that the antlered buck study showed high percentages of 1.5 and 2.5+ buck were surviving hunting season nand that is why we could harvest more 2.5+ buck than 1.5 buck.

BTW, feel free to provide the data on the age of the bucks harvested by WMU, because the PGC claims they aren't collecting the data necessary to determine the effects of ARs. Furthermore, the PGC has failed to provide the age composition of the 2.5+ buck harvest since 2006. Can you explain why the PGC is hiding that data?
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/31 13:18:43 (permalink)
The fact is the deer are proving that hunters can’t over harvest their numbers where there is suitable habitat to sustain high deer numbers.

That's what they said about the buffalo.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/31 18:45:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

The fact is the deer are proving that hunters can’t over harvest their numbers where there is suitable habitat to sustain high deer numbers.

That's what they said about the buffalo.

The Wolves ate the Buffalo...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/03/31 19:00:55 (permalink)
The buffalo died out because they ate all the grass! Then the poorly fed buffalo all quit having as many baby buffalo.

The millions killed by market hunters had nothing...i repeat NOTHING to do with the decline, on proper range you just cant over-hunt them. And if you dont believe me, just ask Rsb. lol.
stradic1
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/04/07 22:31:29 (permalink)
The game commission has an agenda...and I am pretty sure it doesn't involve hunters. In fact I think you could make the case they are now an anti-hunting organization. As I see it there is nothing to be gained from arguing with them because no matter what you See, 'KNOW' or say about what they have done and or are doing to our deer herd doesn't matter and you are wrong. The only way to stop this is for every hunter to get involved, join in and get a bigger and better lawsuit going. I would love to see the PGC held accountable for what they have and are doing to the deer herd in this state.  P.S. I could be wrong...but I'm not. 
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/04/08 07:58:28 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: stradic1

The only way to stop this is for every hunter to get involved, join in and get a bigger and better lawsuit going. I would love to see the PGC held accountable for what they have and are doing to the deer herd in this state.  P.S. I could be wrong...but I'm not. 

If you take deer out of the equation, how is the PGC doing, in your opinion, with all of our other game species? 

My rifle is a black rifle
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/04/08 08:50:45 (permalink)

The game commission has an agenda...and I am pretty sure it doesn't involve hunters. In fact I think you could make the case they are now an anti-hunting organization. As I see it there is nothing to be gained from arguing with them because no matter what you See, 'KNOW' or say about what they have done and or are doing to our deer herd doesn't matter and you are wrong. The only way to stop this is for every hunter to get involved, join in and get a bigger and better lawsuit going. I would love to see the PGC held accountable for what they have and are doing to the deer herd in this state.  P.S. I could be wrong...but I'm not. 

hahahahaha hahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha (break) hahahahahah hahahahahaha

Now that right there is funny...
As long as you and your 3 USP buddies use your own money for your lawyers, keep on filing lawsuits and they'll keep on getting thrown out, until you run out of $.

PGC, antihunting, come on, you got to be kidding me? They may be a lot of things to many people but antihunting?

Thank god it is time to go turkey hunting and crappie fishing.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/04/08 10:00:43 (permalink)
As long as you and your 3 USP buddies use your own money for your lawyers, keep on filing lawsuits and they'll keep on getting thrown out, until you run out of $.

AMEN EYES !!!

After three and one-half years of litigation and $60,000 in legal fees retired Judge Barry Feudale unilaterally dismissed USP’s case not once, but twice,
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/04/08 10:01:49
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/04/08 10:27:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dpms

The only way to stop this is for every hunter to get involved, join in and get a bigger and better lawsuit going. I would love to see the PGC held accountable for what they have and are doing to the deer herd in this state.  P.S. I could be wrong...but I'm not. 

If you take deer out of the equation, how is the PGC doing, in your opinion, with all of our other game species? 

Turkey could be next. The Pa Gas and Timber Co better known as the Pa Game Commission will never lack funds at the rate they are going. Some day after they run out of timber and gas they might actually manage game.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/04/08 11:44:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

The game commission has an agenda...and I am pretty sure it doesn't involve hunters. In fact I think you could make the case they are now an anti-hunting organization. As I see it there is nothing to be gained from arguing with them because no matter what you See, 'KNOW' or say about what they have done and or are doing to our deer herd doesn't matter and you are wrong. The only way to stop this is for every hunter to get involved, join in and get a bigger and better lawsuit going. I would love to see the PGC held accountable for what they have and are doing to the deer herd in this state.  P.S. I could be wrong...but I'm not

hahahahaha hahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha (break) hahahahahah hahahahahaha

Now that right there is funny...

PGC, antihunting, come on, you got to be kidding me? They may be a lot of things to many people but antihunting?

Thank god it is time to go turkey hunting and crappie fishing.

I agee that it takes quite a stretch to paint the PGC as anti-hunting.  That being written, I wouldn't exactly characterize them as pro-hunter either.  I think they are tolerant of hunters at best and ambivalent at worst.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/04/08 11:44:51 (permalink)
If you take deer out of the equation,

Why on earth would we "take deer out of the equation"??? Deer hunting IS hunting in Pennsylvania.

Thats the problem as i see it, too many want to "take deer out of the equation" although they want to do it literally. Pgc, audubon, dcnr...
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Deer Still A Problem ?? 2011/04/08 11:46:57 (permalink)
I agee that it takes quite a stretch to paint the PGC as anti-hunting. That being written, I wouldn't exactly characterize them as pro-hunter either. I think they are tolerant of hunters at best and ambivalent at worst

I think that a fair assessment Dards. And that really isnt a whole lot better for a GAME management agency.
Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 7 of 8
Jump to: