german shorthaired pointer

Author
fish stick
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/15 07:59:05 (permalink)

german shorthaired pointer

this is my first gun dog and i recently bought 6 chukar any ideas on how to train her shes 5 months old???

22 Replies Related Threads

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/15 08:43:16 (permalink)
    Fish,

If you do a search on this site, back a few years, I posted a lot of information on how to start the training process on a pointing dog.  If you can't find it, I will redo some of it for you.

First off, however, congratualtions on your dog.  Second, congratulations on understanding that bird is a birddog's first name and they are needed for training.

Now kill those chukars and eat them in a nice chukar stir fry -- your dog is too young to start and chukars are too big to start with.  Starting a dog one day too soon causes way more problems, many of which are difficult to correct, than are caused by starting a dog 3 months too late.  They can always learn, it is tough for them to unlearn bad habits.  As for birds, you want to use quail.  They area game bird (pigeons will cause future issues with pointing non-game birds), the right size for a puppy, hardier than chukar so they can be reused (I have resued quail up to 10 times before they became too beat up to continue), easier to handle, eat less, and don't fly as far when weighted with a hose shackle.

Get a couple good pointing dog training videos (get more than one, so you can take tips from each) and a couple of good books (Smith is a good one) and read them while you wait for your dog to mature.

When is your dog mature enough to start?  With a male pointing dog, that is when it lifts its leg to pee on a consistant basis.  Up until that point it literally sees the world through its eyes and not its nose.  Once that activity starts, then the nose turns on.  Without the nose on, real dog work isn't happening.  They are being trained to do something they know nothing about yet and when their instincts and breeding kick in, they will be conflicted by what they were taught and what they "know."  This is evident when you get those peope that say I don't know what is wrong with my dog, it pointed at 5, 6, or 7 months and now that it is a year old, it mess up constantly.  They were so eager to get into the training process that they did some real damage.  Keep in mind that these dogs have been doing this somewhere in their bloodline for about a 1,000 years, they need our assistance, not to educate them.  Because you have a female, the leg thing doesn't work for you.  So watch for signs that she is starting to stop "looking" for and at things and starting to "smell" for and at things.  This may be as early as 6 months or as late as 12 months.  Be patient.

Separate yard work -- commands such as here, whoa, heel, etc. -- from field work for the first couple of months.  Teach yard work first.  This can be done before the nose turns on.  Also, while waiting for the nose to come online, devise a schedule of just what you are going to do and when.  The videos and books will provide the major divisions of work to be accomplished.

Training your own can be fun, frustrating, but very rewarding.

Best of luck.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    fish stick
    Novice Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/15 09:05:41 (permalink)
    wow i didnt know there was so much involved i see i have alot of work ahead of me thank you so much for the information i wasnt sure what the right age was to start her training right now shes very anxious and hard to hold her attention but she is a puppy so i assume that is normal for her
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/15 09:28:07 (permalink)
    That is very normal.

fish stick
    Novice Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/15 11:01:59 (permalink)
    i got her to point a wing but she only pointed very briefly do you think she is too young for that also
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/15 11:14:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fish stick

i got her to point a wing but she only pointed very briefly do you think she is too young for that also

I never use wings.  That promotes sight pointing because they have no scent.  Pointing dogs key in on the scent cone produced by breath scent and body scent.

If a dog develops sight pointing, it will cause issues down the road that are very difficult to fix such as wanting to get too close to the bird in order to see it as well as smell it.  That will turn into bumped birds which can then turn into not holding point and the dog wanting to flush the birds.  Remember it is much more fun to chase a bird and make it fly that it is to stand still.

In addition, messing with wings on a pole and line seems to always turn into a "play" activity.  Rules and control go out the window.  Hunting to a birddog is not play, it is "work."  They love their work, but it is work.  Bringing play into training is also going to cause problems down the road that are difficult to correct.

If you are anxious to do some type of training, work on the yard stuff like here, whoa, and heel.  These are "learned" activites, not instinctual.  Keep it short -- 5 to 10 minutes -- several times per day.

fish stick
    Novice Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/15 12:20:18 (permalink)
    i totally agree with you on the play factor with the line and wing she seemed to wanna pounce and jump around since i am new at this and i saw these birddogs pointing at 8 weeks on websites it just really got me worried that i was too late for the proper training
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/15 12:35:36 (permalink)

i totally agree with you on the play factor with the line and wing she seemed to wanna pounce and jump around since i am new at this and i saw these birddogs pointing at 8 weeks on websites it just really got me worried that i was too late for the proper training

Most trainers (and their websites) make the bulk of their money by correcting issues that wouldn't be issues in the first place if the dog wasn't started too early or rushed through their development.  They all like to boast how early the dog does this or that.  It does a couple of things -- it purports that their dogs develop early, so you can hunt them earlier and hence get more use in terms of an extra season out of your dog and it brings them lots and lots of business in fixing the problems that happen when owners try to get their dogs to perform that early.  Overt he hunting lifespan of your dog, which will be about 10 years, you have to ask yourself, do you want to hunt it one extra season and spend the next 9 seaosn fixing issues or do you want all solid seasons?

Keep this in mind -- at a year of age, a birddog size dog is approaximately 6-8 years old in human terms.  How much can your 1st to 3rd grader handle and how long will they last in the field?

Even if your dog developed at a rate that it was ready to train at 8 weeks and you spent the next six months working on it, how long do you think it would last in the field based on its stamina and endurance?  15 minutes?  30 minutes?  Think of dragging a 7-year-old through cover when thinking about that question.  In addition, think about the risk of injury to a dog that age.

A lot of these dogs that you are seeing featured are "field trial" stock.  Field trial dogs are like top fuel dragsters.  They are meant to run as hard and fast as they can for a very limited amount of time.  Most are done for the day in 20 minutes or less.

Hunting stock dogs, if properly conditioned, are typically good for 2 -3 hours if rested and continuously hydrated and carbohydrated up before the hunt.

fish stick
    Novice Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/15 15:05:41 (permalink)
    dang i wish you were close to my area so you could teach me hahaha thanks so much for all the info ill take what you gave me and put it towards her once again thanks so much dar
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/15 15:18:11 (permalink)
    No problem.

Buy the videos, buy the books, study first, map out a schedule, and enjoy yourself.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/15 16:11:20 (permalink)
    Right on with eat the chukars- hated them they tended to walk off- liked the pigeons cause they were easy to get myself under bridges with a pool net at night with a headlamp.
      My dogs were mostly woodcock dogs with an occasional pheasant thrown in and the Pigeons didn't seem to hurt the woodie pointing- some dogs never seem to like them though ( woodies)
    Hey Fish remember one important thing- your dog WANTS to point and it WANTS to retrieve - mistakes make it NOT WANT to do those things.
    Training is fine tuning those instincts.
    Dar is spot on with the books and letting the pup age a bit. All the sudden out walking you will see him start to "work" all on his own. He doesn't know whats up yet and its time to help him.
    Always worked Setters and when I got Germans they tended to run bigger,
    might not be a bad idea to know how you want your dog  to work -near or far ranging- and train that way.
      Used to take the young dogs out to a pipeline and letem go out ahead. Id whistle for their attention and wave a hand to one side and run in the woods that way after they saw me, theyd follow and play around. Did the same hand and direction for days and then changed to the other side. Its fun when walking and before ya know it they are taking hand signals right and left.     
    Always started that before putting them on birds. Its just like yard training ,    they put it together later on when you givem the signal and have a bird planted there.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/03/15 17:18:40
    fish stick
    Novice Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/15 18:56:40 (permalink)
    thanks retired its been a dream to me for years to own a german short hair and get her to be my hunting partner so i could use all the help i can get!!
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/15 19:18:42 (permalink)
    Shorthairs are a great dog=family friendly hunters- -had them for several years and started several from my first litter ( had been breeding and raising setters before that). My stud was a dog right from Germany and my female was a local dog- she wasnt very well bred but the pups hunted very well. It was my only litter of Shorthairs before turning over to Labs which I have now had for many years.
    One in particular went to upstate NY in the Aderondiak SF and was later described to me by a guy as  his dads best grouse dog ever. Mine eventually became Pheasant dogs as the Woodcock populations had started to crash but they did well on the woodies which were my favorite bird to hunt.
    They were large dogs by todays hunting standards and were darker than many of the light colored smaller dogs I commonly see today.
    They did want to range much bigger than my FDSB Setters did, but took care of that in training and they handeled very well afield. Now and then they would have a mind of their own compared to the Setters and Labs  but overall they were great dogs. Never mean or nasty in any way.
    Bird hunting is a great pastime when shared with a dog- especially the first one you personally trained - I never forget my first.
    If I have Dardys figured right he is an accomplished bird dog guy and you may well look up that old stuff he mentioned
      BTW- get rid of the wing like Dar said - can confuse the heck out of the dog and may end up making him hard mouthed( biting too hard of retrieved birds)
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/03/15 19:47:07
    fish stick
    Novice Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/16 06:48:15 (permalink)
    well i wanted to train mine for pheasant hunting thats why i wasnt sure why some people were telling me to get smaller game birds because wouldnt you want them to focus on what they would be hunting in the future? I did get rid of the wing because it seemed like more of a play toy than a training device
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/16 08:01:50 (permalink)
    Fish,

I don't know why, but if you train on quail, the dog will transition to point grouse, chukars, huns, and pheasants without any problem.

As Retired guys wrote -- woodies might be another thing.  My older dogs will point them solid as Sears used to be, the younger one wouldn't point one to save his soul.  Neither will point pigeons or doves.

Retired Guy,

We have shot a few birds over the mutts.

fish stick
    Novice Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/16 20:44:51 (permalink)
    hey dar what did you use to carb up your dog before you took them out?
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/17 05:57:38 (permalink)
    Hey Dar-
        An old timer  ( now we are the old timers) once told me that some dogs wouldnt work Woodies cause they were worm eaters and had a strange scent for the dogs.
         Might be something to it cause some dogs just didnt ever seem to want to point them and others were hotter than heck on them.
        How many Woodies does it take to make a meal ?- They were certainly a bird just for the fun of the hunt- They never came back in any numbers around here. Thats a big reason I stopped using pointing dogs and went to the Labs.

Hey Fish-
          Sometimes those smaller birds are best to start your young dog on- Using a larger bird like a pheasant can cause a problem with training to retrieve cause they tend to flap the wings a lot and the young dog gets a bit whacked around when picking up the big bird. In some dogs it makes them skittish about the pickup.
      Then  there is the occasional dog that simply never wants to pickup and will just run over and kind of show you where the bird is lying- Had a couple over time that just never seemed to want to retrieve- always wondered if it was a mistake in training but others retrieved great using the same methods.. Had a Setter once that even swam out for ducks.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/03/17 07:00:25
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/17 07:32:04 (permalink)

hey dar what did you use to carb up your dog before you took them out?

Whatever carbs I have around.  If I know I am going hunting the next day, we will have some type of pasta for dinner and over make it so that there is enough left to feed the mutts in the morning.

I am heading out to hunt in about 30 minutes and I just fed them rolls with peanut butter -- carbs and protien because it is going to be warmer today and they will need the extra energy.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/17 07:42:32 (permalink)
    Retired guy,

I have heard the worm theory on the woodies too.  It might be correct.

I don't shoot them anymore because I won't eat them -- might as well cut out the middle bird and just eat the worms -- and the folks I used to pawn them off on for fly tying feathers have plenty -- and they won't eat them either.

As for the retreiving thing, it is not in a pointing dog's DNA to do that.  We have bastardized them into it over the years.  If oyu hunt down south, the pointing dogs point the birds, the hunters shoot them, the pointers return to the wagon, and they release the labs or springers to find and retrieve the dead birds.  One can "force fetch" a pointing dog, but I think that dampens their spirit for the bird finding part of the job because they know that once they find a bird, they will more than likely have to retrieve it.

Our older dog, who turned 9 yesterday, is a gung-ho retriever.  Btu he wasn't always.  It took him until his third season.  Our younger dog loves to carry birds, jut not back to me.  We call him our "union" dog -- "Retrieve?  I'm a pointer, its in the name.  You want a retrieve, you got the wrong union." -- LOL.

He will come around though.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/17 10:48:56 (permalink)
    Love the UNION DOG, 
       If I wont eat it I wont kill it, so used to save up the tiny breasts til there were enough for a fry pan with a lot of butter and bacon-still difficult.
    My Setters always retrieved fairly easily but the Shorthairs were a bit harder to train for that, the labs- cant stop them. The Shorthairs  always went over and marked the dead bird even when they were having a bad retrieve day. Thats a bit of what I meant about them occasionally having a mind of their own.
      A friend  on the first actual hunt on the first day of a season with a young Lab he had recently finished training  was in his blind with a couple of other guys. It was a crowded place and there was a blind across the way from him and a bit down the coastline. The other blind  had all the action.
       My friend came to work the next day completely destroyed. Every time the other blind  shot a duck my friends dog charged out and brought the other folks ducks back to him.   OOPS
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/03/17 10:56:52
    fish stick
    Novice Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/17 12:19:52 (permalink)
    hey dar what are you hunting this time of year??
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/17 15:06:23 (permalink)
    Unfortunately we hunted pheasants at the club today.  Typically I won't hunt them beyond early February -- the hens have a nesting instinct and you have to actually get a foot under them to get them to fly, if then, and the roosters are out looking for hens, so they just want to run.  But an old friend was up and he wanted to hunt pheasants.  So we did.

I would have much prefered quail.  We did point and shoot three quail in the process and my freind was "I like this."  I could have cuffed him upside the head.

fish stick
    Novice Angler
    RE: german shorthaired pointer 2011/03/17 15:39:32 (permalink)
    ya thats no fun if you have to actually kick the birds to get a flush hahaha he needed cuffed in the head
    Jump to: