The River Gauge

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/01 16:08:26 (permalink)

The River Gauge

There forecast page is a bunch of BS for the outflow.

Thought the water was a little high for 1340 when I got there.
Was still able to wade out and fish down to the island.
Had a sneaking feeling they might be raising it so I kept an eye on the shore rocks to keep an eye on the water level.

Good thing about every third cast I would look back and more of the rocks were under water.

Decided I better vamoose out of there. I was part way down Dixon and really had to high tail it out.
It was pushing my vest hard and the current was dangerous when I finally hit the shore..Getting across in 3,000cfm is not reccomended.

Be careful down there, if I had waited 10 more minutes I would have been in trouble. That water comes up fast when they open them gates...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

5 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: The River Gauge 2011/03/01 16:59:31 (permalink)
    Been there, done that, wasn't fun any of the times. Folks have been stranded on various islands until someone heard them yelling and got a boat out to them. You should have been fishing there in the 60's before all the changes to the system.
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: The River Gauge 2011/03/01 19:41:03 (permalink)
    Good thing you got out Bings. I was ready to head up early this morning. Saw the guage was at 1420 or so, but I had a hunch things might have been different when I got there.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: The River Gauge 2011/03/01 21:45:15 (permalink)
    Guess that's what they mean by "Future operations shown on this forecast are as expected, but not promised."

Glad you're safe, Friend.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    for safety sake 2011/03/04 13:00:03 (permalink)
    just for safety sake,

People really should access dixon island from the north hemlock side with the possibility of high water. The little back water can probably be safely waded near 5000 (that is admittedly a guess).

but much above 2500cfs your really risking yourself on the main river.

I think I would rather walk to warren and call a friend to get your car from the visitors center, then the alternative.

having said that I've sometimes taken risks I shouldn't have in waders. live and learn. but at least by mentioning this online maybe people will learn about the alternate safer way to dixon.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    RE: for safety sake 2011/03/04 16:53:44 (permalink)
    That was where I went in at.
    My numbers could be a little off, I'll bet it was pushing 4,000 when I hit shore.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Jump to: