Explination of reels?

Author
Wally Cat
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1073
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/05 22:41:20 (permalink)

Explination of reels?

Could someone give me a brief explination of the differences in this line up of reels and the advantages or uses of them.

Battenkill standard fly reel by Orvis

Large arbor reels

Spey reel

I read about them, see a lot advertised in varios magazines but not familiar as to the proper uses of each. And why do they cost so darn much.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
Author..... Wally Cat

9 Replies Related Threads

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Explination of reels? 2007/04/06 09:09:20 (permalink)
    I own a battenkill.... standard means regular arbor, doesnt retrieve line super fast, I love this reel, infinate drag system meens you can make it as tight or free spooling as you wish.(typical for trout, and good enough for steel)

Large Arbor - Designed to pick up lots of line fast, these reels are huge, just like they say large arbor(big around) - Best used in LARGE bodies of water(lakes,rivers,ocean)

Im not familiar with a spey reel but I assume the hold lots of line as thats what a spey rod is designed for, long casts.

A standard or Mid arbor will serve you well anywhere in pa.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2007/04/06 09:13:32
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    RE: Explination of reels? 2007/04/07 12:23:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback. Not quite as complex as I thought it was going to be. You're right about the battenkill, absolutely wonderfull drag.....as good as or better that most of my spinning reels. I use it for steel and carp.

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Explination of reels? 2007/04/08 16:24:05 (permalink)
    I have the BBSII - I wish I would have went one bigger for more room in the reel. I put it on a 4wt rod, but then used 5wt line. Took a large trout last summer on it. Initial run had me clear into the backing. I landed that fish!

I own the cortland endurance large arbor. I bought that with the intention of fishing it on smallies in the river. I will however use that also for steel. Even though I RARELY play a fish at the reel.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Explination of reels? 2007/04/08 17:36:08 (permalink)
    There is no easy way to compare a standard reel to a lg arbor of different manu. To do a comparison of two reels of different arbors you need to look at the overall dia's of each of the same manuf. If both dia's are the same then the standard arbor reel will hold more backing and pick line up at the same rate as the large arbor one, w/ the same amt of line drawn off of it. W/ lg arbor reels you can be giving up a lot of backing capacity. Spey reels are nothing more then a lg dia reel to hold the backing and extra long lenghts of spey line.
    Tom
    ORIGINAL: Wally Cat

Could someone give me a brief explination of the differences in this line up of reels and the advantages or uses of them.

Battenkill standard fly reel by Orvis

Large arbor reels

Spey reel

I read about them, see a lot advertised in varios magazines but not familiar as to the proper uses of each. And why do they cost so darn much.

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Explination of reels? 2007/04/09 10:18:44 (permalink)
    salty you also have to look at the width.  most large arbors are 2X wider than a standard arbor reel.  this also helps keep the line pick-up speed.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Explination of reels? 2007/04/09 13:09:28 (permalink)
    thanks for remembering that, I was trying to thing of a good comparison models and the only ones that are easily comparable are the abel's. Like the super 10 and the standard 4 are from the same frame w/ two different configured spools.
    Tom
    ORIGINAL: RIZ

salty you also have to look at the width.  most large arbors are 2X wider than a standard arbor reel.  this also helps keep the line pick-up speed.
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    RE: Explination of reels? 2007/04/10 02:36:10 (permalink)
    Thanks fellows!

Author..... Wally Cat
    steverino111
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Explination of reels? 2007/04/22 22:51:07 (permalink)

To JLH42581---------- You mentioned that you never play a fish from the reel. I have been fishing salmomoids for a long time and I was taught to pick up the slack as soon as 'FISH ON" was hooked . I personally think that it is much easier to play the fish from the reel than from loose line on the water. All the old timers used this method. that`s where I learned. If you have the drag set properly , let the fish fight the drag instead of your fingers. Try it , you may like it.

Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    RE: Explination of reels? 2007/04/23 20:23:01 (permalink)
    Steve.....I always play the fish to the reel.....that's what I really like about it.....a drag that lets you play the fish without fear of guessing about how much tension to put on it.

Author..... Wally Cat
    Jump to: