Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/25 13:50:43 (permalink)

RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb

Don,t take this like I,m bashing the PAGC. I,m in favor of nailing the slob hunters who road hunt. Back in the mid 90,s a fella who attends our church had an encounter with ROBO DOE . His property is across the road from a gamelands in Erie County and the 2nd day of doe season he was back in woods quite a distance getting near end of shooting hours He was making His way back home when he saw a doe standing out in a field about 100 yds back off road still time to spare he raised his 7mm mag steadied against tree and went for neck shot at he said roughly 200 yds. He fired and nothing happened racked his bolt steadied up again and fired he is not getting it the deer wasn't hit and he knows its zeroed for this range. He is getting ready for a 3rd shot and he hears cease fire cease fire and guys running out in the field hollering dressed in camo with a deer thats now got blue grey smoke billowing out of it. He still didnt realize this was ROBO DOE I guess he shorted the wires or took out the motor but he was standing there and cant belive his eyes. The officers were very agitated and ----- walked out to them as they were still yelling at him. Where did you park over and over. He pointed almost 1/4 mile, that way my truck is in my driveway. They knew he was not a violater once their adrenalin stopped pumping . He told me this story a year after his encounter with ROBO DOE when I had a similar encounter with ROBO BUCK at another gamelands in Erie County, and was telling him about how I snuck in on a deer downwind using trees to shield my advance because the snowfall was so heavy at 9+ on my scope I could hardly make out 8 points at 80 yds. I almost shot him when I could hear someone yelling to come up out of there and it was a guy in cammo standing up on the road.The same result I was let go cause I did it right. Just funny how 2 of us from the same church had this happen to us in 2 consecutive years. Curious how many times those deer get shot by hunters who are in the right?  

30 Replies Related Threads

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/25 14:00:53 (permalink)
    I've never seen a ROBO deer in action in my part of Claron County, but then again, I'm usually well into the woods on SGL 45

To answer your question, prolly 1 in 10 are shot where the hunter is in the right
    post edited by psu_fish - 2011/02/25 14:01:37
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/25 14:11:46 (permalink)
    Kinda weird, the PGC wants the deer population reduced and uses entrapment to raise funds.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/25 14:49:01 (permalink)
    I've heard of it happening more than once like you described. I've also known of one case where the guy saw the robo deer and came in behind it and shot it on purpose. Last I knew a few years ago he was still fighting it. I think it's comical when someone gets busted for shooting out the window at one. Around here they use them quite a lot and when I was still working someone would get nailed almost every year. The poor slobs life would be hell for at least a year until someone else got nailed. It wasn't the fine you worried about but the grief you knew you were in for from your co-workers if you got caught..
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/25 16:27:50 (permalink)
    Robo is a good tool for catching a poacher but how the PGC operates is better than watching cartoons. Funny how pizzed they get when the hunter is in the right and shoot at Robo. If they don't want it shot don't put it up. A shame the licensed hunters has to pay for the damages done.
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/25 19:07:32 (permalink)
    It is also a fact that hunters make up stories about things that simply never happened concerning the decoys.

I have had a number of similar type story told by hunters about legally shooting at decoys in my district. But the REAL fact of the matter is that no one except those that saw it from their vehicle has ever shot at or even attempted to shoot at one of my decoys. I have worked dozens upon dozens of decoy set up and no one ever shot at one legally. I have had a few hunters that saw it from the vehicle, drove down the road a ways then got out to go hunt it legally. They were honest and honorable hunters and we always made contact with them stopped them from going off in pursuit of the decoy and praised them for being an honest hunter.

I have also heard several stories of hunters seeing one of the decoys along this or that road, recognizing it as a decoy and driving on without shooting at it. I hope those stories are true though since in almost all such stories we never had a decoy set up in that area.

I guess if we are to believe those stories the decoy use is working, as it sounds like hunters are passing up some real deer they saw while road hunting because they think they are decoys.
     R.S. Bodenhorn  
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/25 20:31:06 (permalink)
    These stories were not made up.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/26 11:16:44 (permalink)
    RSB.. cant believe you are questioning my credibility on above post. And the part where you said( make up stories about things that never happened.) Are you discrediting or belittling the above said mentioned post ? The first in post mentioned happened on GL 101 where Tracy Rd. and Griffy intersect in NW corner of said GL. If I remember right there was a report in Pa. Game News about said alleged incident where hunter damages a decoy here is the key RSB .It says HUNTER not violator or road hunting,poacher. Remember I said mid 90,s. The second My alleged encounter the following year with said decoy. The officers name is known to me because of the conversation we had after he called to me to come up out of there. This happened on GL 314 south of Old Lake Rd. between Rudd and Stateline Rd. I almost shot the decoy in the white spot under his jaw (upper neck) and would have been completely in compliance with hunting regulations.If He reads this post he will remember me saying (the ears didn't move). This post was not a PAGC bashing ,I am for this 100% and think its great when they catch the road violators in the act. There is obviously a chip on someones shoulder when they have to counter everyone's posts with a never happened or made up story attitude? The sheild that you carry, or carried in the past makes you a representative of said organization. If the respect and attitude you carry towards hunters will mirror what you get in return. If you have no respect for hunters why should you expect anything but this in return! 
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/26 12:15:47 (permalink)
    I certainly didn’t mean to imply that your incident didn’t happen the way you said. I don’t doubt there have been incidents when someone made a legal shot at a decoy, I have heard of such occurrences but they are not all that common when compared to the number of hunters that shot at them illegally.

I simply pointed out that not all stories about the Game Commission and the WCOs relayed by hunters involve real events. I have had a number of stories relayed by hunters concerning incidents where my name was used that never happened at all. I have even had occasions when people were telling me, while I was out of uniform and out in the public, about dealings with Bodenhorn that were 100% made up stories since they had never had any encounter with me and didn’t even know who I was when they were telling their fairy-tail.

In fact it is my experience that it is very rare for hunters to relay any incident they had with a WCO completely accurately. They usually turn event around to make it sound like they didn’t do anything wrong and the WCO was just a Jerk, they told him off and walked away a hero. People would be surprised how many of their hero fairy-tails get relayed back to the WCO, when in reality it didn’t happen like they said at all. We usually just have a good laugh about their story but it might also affect the outcome any future dealing we have with them too.
     R.S. Bodenhorn
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/26 13:00:18 (permalink)
    RSB the post was not fabricated or twisted turn of events, in fact I stated that I am FOR the use of decoys catching road violators 100% and that goes with the officers who obviously are confronting armed individuals. That in itself is dangerous hats off to you guys and girls doing this.I simply stated that 2 guys had very similar experiences in 2 consecutive years in 2 different locations. That,s just 2 funny isn't it? 
    egg_drifter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/26 16:17:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tull66

Kinda weird, the PGC wants the deer population reduced and uses entrapment to raise funds.

Entrapment huh? Maybe you should find out what the definition of entrapment means befor you start playing with such large words... Here let me help ya..
    Entrapment holds if all three conditions are fulfilled:

1.The idea for committing the crime came from the government agents and not from the person accused of the crime.
    2.Government agents then persuaded or talked the person into committing the crime. that crime.Simply giving someone the opportunity to commit a crime is not the same as persuading them to commit
    3.The person was not ready and willing to commit the crime before interaction with the government agents.
    On the issue of entrapment, the prosecution must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant was not entrapped by government agents.

So now, Please tell me how using a robo deer is entrapment?
    The PGC is trying to do us all a favor by trying to put a stop to roadhunting and poaching in certain areas, and you want to make an ignorant comment like that? Maybe you should look up what ignorance means also...
    Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge).
    post edited by egg_drifter - 2011/02/26 16:21:11
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/26 17:45:48 (permalink)
    Don't you know by now that WCO's are always right ? They are also the most friendly of law enforcement. That's why the only had 6 complaint's filed against them according to the Commissions records last year.Believe those stats and I'll sell you a bridge . LOL
    ORIGINAL: rmcmillen09

RSB the post was not fabricated or twisted turn of events, in fact I stated that I am FOR the use of decoys catching road violators 100% and that goes with the officers who obviously are confronting armed individuals. That in itself is dangerous hats off to you guys and girls doing this.I simply stated that 2 guys had very similar experiences in 2 consecutive years in 2 different locations. That,s just 2 funny isn't it? 

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/26 18:07:49 (permalink)
    They probably only include complaints about things that actually happened, which would cut out about 95% of the stories spewed about WCO's.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/26 18:54:13 (permalink)
    Only 6 complaints, does anyone buy that crap ??
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/26 19:11:34 (permalink)
    More realistic than some other things, such as:
    - There being two species of deer in PA, Brown and Grey
    - The PGC cross breeding wolves and coyotes to decimate the deer herd

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/26 22:39:30 (permalink)

Don't forget the Amish and the mountain lions !!!!

Lancaster New Era
    Nov 20, 2008
    By AD CRABLE, Staff Writer

With charges apparently imminent against an Amish farmer who claims he was attacked by a cougar in Sadsbury Township Oct. 9, a sportsmen's group has hired an attorney to represent him.

"The whole purpose is to protect Samuel Fisher's rights, not to prove he is guilty or not guilty," said Charles Bolgiano, an East Hempfield Township resident and board member of the Unified Sportsmen of Pennsylvania.

The group has retained Middletown attorney Kendra A. Mohr "to protect Samuel's legal, constitutional rights," according to a USP statement.

USP has set up a defense fund for Fisher and is asking that donations be sent to USP Legal Defense Fund/Samuel Fisher Defense, Unified Sportsmen of Pennsylvania, 260 Orchard View Drive., Leola, PA, 17540.

Mohr has sent a letter to the Pennsylvania Game Commission, notifying them Fisher was not to be approached anymore for questioning.

The attorney is the daughter of Stephen Mohr, of Bainbridge, who is president of USP.

According to sources, a Pennsylvania Game Commission official contacted Fisher's bishop recently and notified him the agency would be filing charges against Fisher.

An unnamed Game Commission official was quoted in the latest issue of Pennsylvania Outdoor News as saying charges against Fisher were a matter of when, not if.

Fisher, 42, of 92 Windy Top Road, says he shot one of three mountain lions seen near his farm on the afternoon of Oct. 9. He was following a blood trail of the animal when another jumped from a tree onto him, causing lacerations that had to be treated at a hospital. He said the attack ended when he stabbed the mountain lion and it ran off.

Reports of a large catlike creature had surfaced in the area for weeks before the incident — and continued for several weeks afterward.

After the alleged attack, a massive hunt ensued, involving a helicopter, dogs and traps.

The Game Commission said samples of what Fisher pointed out as the blood trail were sent to a lab and turned out not to be blood. Also, blood found on the knife Fisher said he used to stab the animal turned out to be human blood, not from an animal, the agency reported.

The agency is still awaiting further analysis of the substance collected from the supposed blood trail.

The Game Commission says the whole incident was a hoax and that it might charge Fisher with making false statements.

Fisher has repeatedly stuck by his story. And USP has been supportive, charging the Game Commission with minimizing reliable sightings of mountain lions in the area.
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/02/26 22:49:26
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/27 10:26:40 (permalink)
    This whole thread was doomed from it's inception.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/27 11:36:22 (permalink)
    RSB,so your saying if I drive by and see ROBO DEER (or live deer) I can drive by and park and try to hunt it legal,I thought the use of a vechicle to spot game was a no no written in the law book. More grey area with the PGC.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/27 21:46:48 (permalink)
    Not sure about this ? are you allowed to go after deer after you see them or are you supposed to ignore them and keep on going as if they weren't there. 
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/27 22:34:41 (permalink)
    see page 16 of the digest that comes with your hunting license. It is explained there...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/02/27 22:35:04
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/28 08:58:08 (permalink)
    thanks
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/28 09:54:30 (permalink)
    From Page 16...

Road Hunting: It is unlawful to 1) hunt from a vehicle; 2) shoot at
    wildlife on a public road or right-of-way open to public travel; 3)
    shoot across a road unless the line of fire is high enough to preclude
    any danger to road users; and 4) alight from a vehicle and
    shoot at any wildlife until the shooter is at least 25 yards from the
    traveled portion of the roadway.

That's pretty straight forward and easy to understand unless you have to look into the smallest detail about it all.  Then again, if you scrutinize it that much you should also be scrutinizing the deer that you are shooting at and be able to realize that it's a robotic deer and not shoot it.  I'm pretty sure I learned something in a hunter's safety course a long time ago about "Verifying your target before shooting" but I could be wrong

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/28 11:39:19 (permalink)
    thanks iknowyou your comment sure helped me, knew about those from long ago just didn't know if you were aloud to travel on down the road and enter into woods and double back at the game you saw in passing is legal. I appreciate the hunter safety course thing also . I,m so glad you're here to help me.   
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/28 12:00:52 (permalink)
    I have never encountered RoboDeer.

How realistic is it?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/28 12:16:30 (permalink)
    The heavy snow falling added to the difficulty I saw a deer at 200 yds that's all , at 80 yds at 9 power I could make out rack possibly 8 points ? , this was before antler restrictions . Was gonna shoot in neck but just seemed strange its ears weren't moving then I heard the voice calling to me. My friend who shot the decoy couldn't believe what he was looking at 200 yds out his doe had smoke rolling out of it! 
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/28 12:42:34 (permalink)
    I have never encountered RoboDeer.

How realistic is it?

Realistic enough that if your not thinking decoy you will count the points and shoot. They usually set them up in a bit of brush and the later models move ears or tail for added reality. If you were close and took the time to study one you would probably realize it was fake but your looking for a buck and there he is, shoot before he runs, and you do.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/28 13:00:23 (permalink)
    Wonder if the CWO that asked why I didn't shoot and I told him( the ears didn't move) and I thought it was strange. They added the feature (maybe get some royalty's) like a forest gump thing ya know. I have watched a couple youtube videos on this decoy being utilized and the guys (violators) were so pumped their spideysenses weren't working. They just wanted a deer and were willing to break the laws to get one, ya should check it out there are some real shooters in them
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/28 13:01:57 (permalink)
    I have seen them in action and yes realisic.. almost the same as a full body mount from the taxidermists...some even move a little...

I think part of what makes them a successful tool is the "road hunter" already has a little "something" going on in his head knowing he is road hunting and then is going to really break the law by shooting at that deer standing there from his truck or from the road without moving the required distance before shooting.. It's like he has to hurry and shoot fast so he does not get caught...

I say this because = #1 I would never road hunt or even travel with a loaded rifle in my truck..
    So if I did stop on seeing one along a road standing , by the time I pulled over got out of the truck loaded my gun and looked again and the deer had not move an inch I would automatically think something is "fishy"

As for walking up on one.. same thing I do not believe they have one that the legs move and rarely will a deer not lift or move a leg regardless of what is on it's mind, same with tail and ears and usually they all sort of move together in alert mode or the courteous mode

so I do not think I would make that mistake.. PLUS they are always close to roads and I usually do not see too many deer standing still close to roads in deer season..

but that's just my 2 cents worth.......
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/28 13:23:15 (permalink)
    I mentored 2 brothers years ago and 1 couldn't bring himself to kill again just wasn't for him. The other liked to hunt and we went out, taught him well I thought. He took a nice buck in my company neck shot like I instructed at 125 yds with his 30/30 .   He made a dumb move though a couple years later he was out with friends and they had a better plan, decided to drive around instead of getting out and doing things right. He later told me about this He knew I was disappointed with his choice. I didn't condemn him just said Did you learn anything from this....He is now a SGT.1ST class in the army so I think he learned. 
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: RoboDeer makes nice smoke bomb 2011/02/28 14:01:19 (permalink)

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: