Spinning Gear

Author
pistolpete76
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 214
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/20 18:27:55 (permalink)

Spinning Gear

I'm using a 9'6" rod that I had my buddy cut some of the butt section off of.Cabela's Tourney Trail IM-7 rated for 8-12 lb. line. Too short? Worked great in smaller tribs and fun for salmon.Everybody else seems to have longer rods but they don't seem to be noodle rods.I know, I'm blaming the equipment-not the operator. Don't seem to stay in contact with bait/fly as well as I should be.What about line; hi-vis main?, 12lb too heavy? 6lb leader O.K.? Please help,can't let this river beat me.

29 Replies Related Threads

pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/20 18:31:53 (permalink)
    Oh yea, as soon as I get working again I'm going to book with Randy. He sounds solid and I like the way he is free with info. Is it all true,I'll have to see.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/20 20:41:14 (permalink)
    Hey Pete,
    Congrats on trying to fish in that nasty weather Saturday. What a change, was up Friday and it was sunny and in the mid 50s.
      Felt like my 6wt  rig was small by comparison in the LFZ and its 8'6". Using rigs for spinning and heavier fly stuff on sharks around 9' and they seem small by comparison too. My noodle is 11' and seems to fit right in.
       Seems like all the rods are getting longer lately and with good reason. Those guys are getting out there and having much longer drifts than the smaller rigs. Looks like they get more time in the strike zone.
      That being said it seem like Im still getting a good number of fish with the smaller stuff. May well get a longer rod one of these days but wont  go out and remortage the house for it-smaller works very well.
    Hey- love those crawlers for Steel too but am thinking of using smaller worms this time of year.
      Good luck next time out.
      BTW Pete- some of those Pulaski shops have rod/reel combos already made up complete with line at some real competitive prices-dont see that big river stuff in shops at home- take a look up there before you buy.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/20 20:51:41
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/20 20:53:37 (permalink)
    Hey pete,12 may be a little heavy for main line. Not to say it wont work... I go with. 6 or8 as mainline. Nothing wrong with 9'6", I do prefer a 12 or more in most spots though. Don't mind me though:)
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/20 21:08:35 (permalink)
    Hey Dime
     What do you suggest for Kings- my 10 wts are  91/2 ft and seem fine but am starting to see lots of those longer rods out there.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/20 21:30:30 (permalink)
    Should do the trick. I love using a 9' 9 weightfor kings in tight water. I do go as long as 14'3" though.call me crazy...
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 06:56:27 (permalink)
    Pete - when I use a spinning outfit (mostly to toss rooster tail spinners) I prefer a 9' rod.

Here's why - when I cast spinners using a longer whippier noodle rod, I always seem to get the line tangled around the tip - which can result in a snapped leader and a $2.50 spinner rocketing into the woods never to be seen again, worse yet - it can snap the tip-top off the rod. (Add wind and it gets worse).

Yes - it is 100% operator error..
    Yes - I know I can prevent this problem by paying closer attention when casting, but that book don't mimic my reality.

I also noticed that the longer noodle rods makes my wrist sore after awhile - many,many casts with a spinner that is 1/4 to 1/2 oz.

So, that's my personal experience and why I prefer a shorter rod (under 10') for chucking spinners.

p.s. = per regs - spinners must be set up with one hook - no trebles...

post edited by draketrutta - 2011/02/21 07:00:00
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 07:33:41 (permalink)
    Definitely a shorter faster action rod for spinners or jigs.drake is 100% right. With lighter tippets while bottom bouncing or floating, I do prefer a longer slower actionrod. In my opinion, an angler can justify having maybe atleast 5 different rods to choose from when fishing the salmon river. It just all depends on water type/level, method/presentation, and of course comfortability. Of course though, there are the staple well rounded rods that will work about anywhere... but drake, unless it has changed; I wasalways under the nov. 1st rule in which after nov. 1st one can use a treble hook on lures. Please correct me if im wrong. I know your good at citing the regs. I'll wait for your link...
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 10:02:26 (permalink)
    Dime, the way I read it trebles are only allowed on FLOATING lures after Nov.1st. Maybe that's why I saw guys throwing Rapalas.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 10:27:11 (permalink)
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31420.html

I know there is a time frame when you can use trebles on non-floating lures in the SR.
    Something tells me that it is April through August, but I am not sure. There is a mention of it somewhere in the regs in a very obscure area that I don't have the energy to reserach right now.

I provided a link to the most common regs for the SR.

I hope to make it up there soon - in a week or so.
    post edited by draketrutta - 2011/02/21 10:33:54
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 11:54:58 (permalink)
    April through August would make sense since that warmer weather brings in the bass.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 14:03:40 (permalink)
    For some reason I think its november to august... im up the second weekend in march... can't wait
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 14:05:48 (permalink)
    "Special tributary regulations are effective SEPTEMBER 1 THROUGH MARCH 31 for all tributaries except the Salmon River in Oswego County where the effective dates are AUGUST 15 THROUGH APRIL 14."

I went back and read it again:

Legal Trebles = 04-15 thru 08-14.

p.s - if the droppies drop late, don't even bother buyin bait - just SPIN your way for a BIG WIN on the RIVA !!!...
    post edited by draketrutta - 2011/02/21 14:07:55
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 15:02:50 (permalink)
    In the spring I use rapalas from time to time. They are considered a floating lure. Correct me if im wrong drake... but it seems as if a floating lure is the one exception to the rule with trebles... is that correct?
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 16:11:55 (permalink)
    Hey dime,how do you get any plumbing done posting in the middle of the day?WAIT....it's presidents day so you have off?
    Yes I'm bored and getting the itch to wet a line....now if only winter would end....
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 16:28:45 (permalink)
    Well today was a plow snow morning and then paperwork... I have an android phone with internet access though... the last thing a steelhead addict needs... my crazy self checks the weather, fishing reports and this forum a few times a dayfrom my phone....
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 16:39:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pafisher

Hey dime,how do you get any plumbing done posting in the middle of the day?WAIT....it's presidents day so you have off?
    Yes I'm bored and getting the itch to wet a line....now if only winter would end....

Teachers are off today..

Dime is making a house call plumbing a teacher.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 16:41:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

In the spring I use rapalas from time to time. They are considered a floating lure. Correct me if im wrong drake... but it seems as if a floating lure is the one exception to the rule with trebles... is that correct?

Rapalas Float

Rooster Tails don't.

Read the reg link I attached.

p.s. - they are written in friggin legalese instead of PLAIN ENGLISH.... It is easy to get confused reading that bureaucratic bullspit. I had to read twice to figger it outz....
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 17:47:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

Teachers are off today..

Dime is making a house call plumbing a teacher.

LMAO :)
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 18:35:10 (permalink)
    Retired,or anyone else, without bashing any shops, where would you suggest shopping for gear up there.I've only been in a couple.One of the bigger,fancier ones has gotten some bad press but they have always been O.K. with me.I think it is official-I'm hooked. I will still do smaller waters during salmon circus and maybe spring when they are fishable again. Just like being alone when fishing.This past Oct. I took my son to look at SUNY Oswego.He stayed with a friend on campus and I fished. Met some guys on a creek as we fished for salmon (or snagging mudsharks). We took turns on a prime drift and it was great. The one guy hooked one and handed his rod to a kid about 12 yrs old.. His father really had no clue what he was doing. We looked at each other and he said "this is what it is all about".Truer words have never been spoken. SR is world-class but sometimes just too crazy. That is why I like Steel season, the weather thins the crowd and it is one of the few waterways that stay open.You guys have been a great help and I'll try again in a couple of weeks. Good luck to all-the tug is the drug.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 18:42:54 (permalink)
    Hi Pete,
      Over the years have dealt with most all the shops in the area at one time or another. Many of the old owners who I knew personally have moved on with new owners who I guess someone else is getting to know personally. I have never been to one that I didnt like. Well there is one but its a bit farther away.
      I know the shop you talked about and they have a large selection of quality stuff. There are others by the river with smaller selections but very similar equipment and when you decide what you are after- shop around for it. Some of the smallest places in that area also have nice gear and most all the shops give excellent prices and service.
    I would like to make a stronger suggestion but its kind of a tough thing cause we all have different likes and dislikes.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/21 20:27:53
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 19:08:37 (permalink)
    Pete,if you want fly equipment Malinda in Altmar is very good.She knows what she is talking about and if you ever have a problem with anything she'll take care of it.
    A quick one about Malinda.A friend broke his flyrod up there and went to her shop and bought a replacement.Within a hour he fell while wading and broke his new rod,he went back to her expecting to buy another as he felt it was his fault and no one else that the rod is busted,she took a new one off the rack and said "no charge" go hook a big one:)Those are people you want to do business with.
    For all other gear I buy at All Seasons,large inventory,reasonable prices,and helpfull people.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 19:12:42 (permalink)

Yes I'm bored and getting the itch to wet a line....

see what you started jack... hey drake dont be blowing up my spot now... lets contain ourselves now gentlemen...lol...

hey pete, i find myself in all seasons aka TACKLE... always get what i need there...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 20:41:39 (permalink)
        Quite frankly I have met only a very few up there who were not helpful and informative even when  it may have cost them a sale with me.
       The stores,for me  however, havent been the same since Jim sold Whitakers and moved on.
         I buy odds and ends in all of them and am quite satisfied with the service but its just not the same.
        That being said I kick myself in the butt regularly for having bought the majority of my rods and reels elsewhere cause the River shops have the BEST stuff for the river and at reasonable prices.
      I have seen folks come back to several of the shops with stuff that broke or didnt meet expectations and have always seen them get positive assistance. Have always been pleasantly surprised at the customer relations they all seem to have ( cept for one a bit farther away)
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/21 20:45:27
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 21:05:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

hey pete, i find myself in all seasons aka TACKLE... always get what i need there...

I can share a horror customer service story about the place with the Big Plastic Mudhark, and it involved the owners, not a sales clerk. But I'll spare them the bad publicity they deserve.

Jim & Crew at All Seasons are tops!!
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/21 21:26:24 (permalink)
    Say no more.I know what side of the street I'll shop. You guys are confirming other stories I've heard.Thanks.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/22 04:49:51 (permalink)
    All Seasons do not sell USED Rods that were returned by a previous customer as NEW.
    Jim has way more class than that.

The Fat Plastic Mudshark folks got "BUSTED" when I returned a St Croix Float Rod to the manufacturer for repair (and subsequently got a phone call from Wisconsin informing me that the serial # was previously recorded by someone else).

St Croix stood by their product warranty and took care of me.
    I dumped the beans on the Fat Plastic Mudshark people to St Croix, informing them of the low-ball,scum-bag, dirty rotten scoundrel tactics that one of their dealers were up to.

On my next trip up North, I walked into the home of the Fat Plastic Mudshark and raised a stink over their deceptive selling practices, and did so loud enough for several of their customers to hear. Then I made sure to drag my Korker sandals across their fancy tile floor on my way out.

F Them - I changed my mind about not sharing my story.

No need to protect SCUMBAGS..

They GOT GREEDY after they built their little Mansion on Rte 13.

I prefer to deal with reasonable, honest, people like the good folks at All Seasons that do not feed you BS or try to cheat you.

post edited by draketrutta - 2011/02/22 04:52:25
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/22 11:07:16 (permalink)
    6-8lb McCoy Mean Green will handle kings, steelies, silvers or whatever. landed several nice big kings with this stuff. 9.5' noodle rod as well.
    post edited by JEB - 2011/02/22 11:08:06
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/22 12:39:50 (permalink)
    I shop across the street most of the time too, also further upstream.

BTW Drake- I give you credit for being such a gentleman about that mudshark place and the rod fiasco.  Some guys would have got pinched making their point over that one. Places like this help to get even though. I wont even go there for a hook after reading your story.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/22 15:58:47
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: Spinning Gear 2011/02/24 17:28:35 (permalink)
    I will still use the bathroom there. It is clean. I will then go across the street to buy stuff. I have heard bad comments about NJ and downstate folks. All may be true but everybody with a buisness up there needs them.The Pacific runs are a circus also from what my buddy has told me.
    Jump to: