Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/14 15:16:22 (permalink)

Turkey

Hey guys,
  If you haven't tried turkey with the bow DO IT. Its a hoot. I like to fill a tag with the shotgun and spend the rest of the Spring season with the bow. Its a lot different when a bird comes in to have to draw and shoot than simply pull a trigger. Have taken a good number over the years though- Persistence pays  but this isnt for the guy with real limited time afield.
  Try an go out a week or two before the season and find where the action is and set up a blind by your decoy setup where you can stand and shoot -works just like shotgunning but you need the place to draw..Also  Toms generally come down and go off in the same direction each Am so a big trunked tree is often a great place to ambush one on his way to a strutting area or to where he generally hooks up with a hen, they can be very predictable for a week or so at a time... Remember though Turkeys are a lot lower than  Deer, so practice with your target on the ground- not set up at chest high.
In the fall believe it or not flocks can be VERY stalkable- Go out later in the AM and follow flock scratching on the oak ridges and then move around and in front of them and wait them out. When they come in you often have to slip up on them for a shot. If they bust move off about 50 yards and start gathering calls, one will show. NOW see if you can draw.
Never had so many hunts with such great memories of so many blown chances - it aint about filling a tag all the time.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/14 18:19:50

19 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/14 19:27:27 (permalink)
    I shot my first fall turkey with the bow two years ago. I didn't start trying until they ran archery and turkey together and missed a couple before finally connecting. I've cut feathers off four gobblers but never a drop of blood. I guess the blind is the way to go for them. It's definiatly tougher than with the Ithaca mag 10.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/14 21:38:40 (permalink)
    If you and I have the same issue shooting at turkeys its HIGH shots. Thats why I say shoot at a ground level target for a while. Shooting at a 20 yard bird is usually a down hill type of shot for us even on level ground cause we are standing. Same principal as from a tree stand  --you end up overshooting.
      The other thing is that we are often shooting much quicker than when holding a shot for a deer. With turkey its a lot of draw and shoot cause they often see us. Perhaps a bit of overdraw happens for those high shots to occur- if that the issue . Its a ball though. Sometimes wonder if they duck a shot like deer too.
    Try that big tree thing when ambushing a moving bird. Draw behind the tree and lean out for the aim and shot. Shot right over a Jake one time and took the head almost off the one behind him. A sucessfull miss.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/14 21:46:53
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/14 21:59:44 (permalink)
    Way before there even was a spring season I knew of two outlaws that hunted them with the recurves in the spring. They would get about 30-40 yards apart in line with the gobbler and the caller would bring the bird past the shooter who was facing the caller. When the bird was strutting towards the caller the shooter would aim for the bung hole and let fly. They killed a few before an arrow deflected off a bird and got the caller. I never heard of them doing it again.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/14 22:14:47 (permalink)
        Started 5 or 6 different responses to that but am left amazed at what some guys will do, although he clearly hit what he aimed at.
         What are you using for heads 10- I use old blades on my Thunderheads. It doesnt take much to go through the birds.
         Didnt think this would get much response cause archers for Turkey is probably one of the smallest groups of hunters out there.  Have never seen anyone else doing it and when guys see me they think, hmmmm- nuts.   Nice to know Im not the only Nut willing to spend time at it.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/15 13:27:47
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/15 15:01:23 (permalink)
    I used Thunderheads for all but the one I killed. It was with a Rage. It went through the bird and into some high weeds. $25 for one bird is a bit much for me so I will go back to Thunderheads for birds. I can drill 3" circles all day long but just shave a 20# bird. Course the circles don't have eyes or move around.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/15 15:33:03 (permalink)
    I have spent some time considering it. It's probably the only way I would turkey hunt. I'd rather spend my time fishing at that time of year. It's just more worth it. At least until the PGC cuts tag allocations to allow the flock to increase.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/15 16:42:58 (permalink)
    You could were your pajamas.

You joke about the tukey numbers, but there must be something seriously wrong with the turkey numbers -- too many or too few -- because the PGC is allocating manpower and money to study hen mortality with respect to season length.  Why would a cash strapped entity spend money on something where there wasn't a need for a change?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/15 21:04:03 (permalink)
    There are areas in the state where the turkey population has not increased as they originally felt it would and other areas in the Northern tier and SE corner where they are decreasing, in some cases fairly rapidly.
    Statewide there has been a decrease in turkey numbers over the last decade.
    Statewide there has been an increase in coyotes and fisher over the last decade. Hummmm
    post edited by S-10 - 2011/02/15 21:24:27
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/15 21:22:46 (permalink)
    Seen it happen out back of my place - couple of back to back wet springs including one year with a lousy nut crop and the turkeys went straight downhill. About 800 acres of posted property with VERY little hunting around it. Most of the old roosts in there became memories for a while - after a couple of decent years they are starting to bounce back. Nothing to do with Hunting-just nature at work.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/15 21:29:40 (permalink)
    Our populations also rise and fall based on spring weather but it has been in a gradual downward trend for about 10 years. I used to have 50-70 on feed each winter, now I get 20-40 on average. Still enough for decent hunting but for sure not like it used to be. I blame it on the increased predators. Maybe the studies will tell us for sure.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/15 21:41:47 (permalink)
       Had a huge roost with dozens of birds  each night in a big hemlock grove years ago out back- I could hunt it then and it was GREAT- suddenly there were few if any birds on that roost Spring and  Fall. In Deer season I found out why--the few birds left were being chased all over the place by 2 mongrel dogs from a house over that side of the mountain. The tracks were all over the place in the snow- Ran Deer too.
    Dont know what happened to those nice doggies but they never came back-- The birds never came back in the same numbers either.
     Now the blight killed the hemlocks and the new owners posted the whole place.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/15 21:46:05
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/15 23:09:34 (permalink)
    I know this is about turkey hunting but when the increase of predators was mentioned as a possible decline in the turkey, it makes me wonder if my thoughts on the complete disappearance of grouse in the Erie county area was due to fur prices plummeting to almost nothing, and all the predators getting to the nests because the trappers just quit taking them in traps?
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/16 08:51:05 (permalink)
    S-10,

Thank you for the insight.  I don't hunt turkeys, except for lookng for just the right size Butterball, so I did not know if the population was going up or down.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/16 09:06:34 (permalink)
    Shawn - you're on here alot. Go get a job or something. Getting closer to graduation.

I don't turkey hunt but spend enough time seeing them. I'd guess the population where I hunt had already peaked. Seeing more bobcats every year. Buddy had 8 poults at camp last year and a resident bobcat (about 15 pounds). It took about 3 weeks .. one by one, my buddy found 8 piles of little feathers in his clover. He even got both poults and bobcat on camera.

Guys there say "Ain't no deer up here anymore but the turkey population is good."
    post edited by SilverKype - 2011/02/16 09:14:57

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/19 18:26:04 (permalink)
        Wonder a lot about predator influence on general game populations. It is common knowledge that when "game" numbers increase so do predator numbers. I'm sure that this has much impact on the fact that some game numbers subsequently diminish.
        Some of the Yote impact on Deer surveys and fawn survival percentages in Yote infested areas that I read years ago when Yotes were just arriving in the East were downright astonishing. If you can find this stuff read up on the den digs that were made during the pup and fawn dropping season. I recall they showed large numbers of fawn bones in the dens, much to the surprise of the biologists doing the digs.
       Have to wonder if several families denning in some  areas can have as much impact on deer as the local hunters do.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/19 18:28:37
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/20 10:45:57 (permalink)
    Don't blame Mr Coyote about less turkeys but I'm sure he gets his share.Mr Coon wins hands down,they never let them get out of the nest egg eaters,no trapping coons less turkeys.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/20 12:48:11 (permalink)
        Was Spring Gobbler hunting couple of years ago on my Uncles Farm and saw a hen go into a swamp near my setup and stay there- figured she had her nest in that thicket, had seen her do this for a couple of days in a row...... A bit later she was clucking and squawcking like crazy .... a while  later an opossum walked out.
       Guess that opossums with those two nice Turkey and Deer chasing doggies I mentioned a few days back.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/20 12:49:30
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/22 09:14:54 (permalink)
    Yea,Opossums,coons,and skunks are egg eaters.They love turkey,ducks and goose eggs.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Turkey 2011/02/23 18:50:11 (permalink)
    Dont know where the heck they go but the Turkey have left behind my place each fall for 5 or 6 years and dont come back all winter- no track at all.
    In the Spring there will be 3 or 4 Toms gobbling each morning though. Always a boss or 2 and some jakes. Then they stay all Summer- see em each day along with the hens and young.

UPDATE- just found out a guy over on the next road feeds Turkey all winter- has a few dozen all the time. Had a bear there too last year. Not many Bear around in central Ct. -glad to hear it.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/23 21:36:35
    Jump to: