Downrigger Releases

Author
Travis46
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 116
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/11 23:28:26 (permalink)

Downrigger Releases

Looking for info on which downrigger releases seem to be worth buying. Will be fishing for walleye and lake trout/steelhead. Are there any that will cover all of these? or go light for the walleye and heavier for the trout in deeper water? Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

19 Replies Related Threads

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/02/11 23:51:09 (permalink)
    There is only one...
    Black's.

http://www.fishusa.com/Blacks-Downrigger-Release-Clip_p.html

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/02/12 09:52:34 (permalink)
    you can go on the cheap shower hooks and rubber bands cheap and it works if it seems like there not walkin down the line add a egg sinker if you do stacking same band on planer release
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/02/12 13:08:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ironhed

There is only one...
    Black's.

Ironhed

+1
    Travis46
    Avid Angler
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/02/12 20:30:06 (permalink)
    thanks. i was looking into those actually. they seem pretty fool proof. do you guys know if fish usa stocks them in the store?

do you guys recommend stacking for lakers and walleyes? if so, what is the best way to stack lines if you don't mind? i have fished single lines on riggers, but havent tried stacking or set the lines when i actually did fish off of stacked riggers.
    post edited by Travis46 - 2011/02/12 20:33:01
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/02/12 21:00:46 (permalink)

I personally don't stack on Erie, not even for lakers, but I know guys that do. I only target lakers in the spring, and they're shallow enough for dipseys then. There are days that the riggers are king, but most of the time my boards and dipseys are taking most of the fish.
    Travis46
    Avid Angler
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/02/12 21:28:53 (permalink)
    thanks for the info. i was planning on trying the shallow lakers in the spring too. do you usually do ok?
    Travis46
    Avid Angler
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/02/12 21:55:33 (permalink)
    another question regarding them. What is a good mono line to use for walleye/laker fishing. i was thinking maybe 12 or 14lb xt.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/02/13 09:00:39 (permalink)
    I'd recommend 20 to 30lb mono on your rigger lines.

Recommended type of release...Blacks good, I bought Du-Bros last year and they are good too....you can adjust the tension on these and they work great.

post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/02/13 10:27:32

Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/02/13 10:46:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Travis46

thanks for the info. i was planning on trying the shallow lakers in the spring too. do you usually do ok?

It's often hit or  miss.  IF you can find them, they're usually pretty active and hungry in the spring and usually aren't too hard to catch.  However, they don't typically stay in one place very long and you might have to do some searching before you get on top of them.  Rigger balls (or dipseys) in the dirt is the key.

ORIGINAL: Travis46

another question regarding them. What is a good mono line to use for walleye/laker fishing. i was thinking maybe 12 or 14lb xt.

SUNF is right I'd use at least 20#.  On my rigger rods I use 30# Ande or Triple Fish mono as backing then 50' of 20# Seaguar fluoro for a leader.

Sluggo / NY
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/02/13 15:31:56 (permalink)
    Blacks are very good.. I also like Roemer's. They have a seperate adjustment for the release trigger so you can set it very light and still crank the rod down tight in the holder. As Bogeyjoker mentioned.. and I agree.. the planer boards and dipsies produce far more fish (especially walleyes) for us than the riggers. The only time I bother with them is on the eastern basin in late summer when we hit deep water and bounce bottom for lakers. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)
    Travis46
    Avid Angler
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/02/13 17:39:24 (permalink)
    thanks for all of the info. it has been lots of help. looks like i will be getting some of the black's releases. i mainly wanted to use the riggers out in deeper water for steelhead and lake trout, but they will be used for walleye's too if needed. lake ontario may be on my list one day too.
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/02/13 22:50:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bogeyjoker

There is only one...
    Black's.

Ironhed

+1

+2 I use 30# big game on rigger rods and use the same rods for eyes, steelies and Kings on Lake O.
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/02/14 19:39:11 (permalink)
    I use 14 Lb Trilene big game,  more than heavy enough for any walleye or king, set the drag properly and leave it alone, the 44lb king on my wall was landed on 12 lb Trilene , took about 20 minutes from hookup to net, kept a boat at Wilson for 9 years and never broke a line on a fish except for a few times they got wrapped around the cable
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/02/15 11:45:19 (permalink)
    Well, it just doesn't make much sense to me....why even chance possibly losing a big fish? There is virtually no advantage to using 12 or 14 lb. test...and I'm talking about on a downrigger rod....If you're strictly flatlining for eyes thats one thing, but trolling for kings on a rigger....ummmmm I don't think so, not for me nor 99.9% of the guys who fish it on a regular basis.

I can think of at least 3 advantages to the heavier stuff....

-Less wear and tear
    -Strength
    -Takes less to fill a spool
    -Longer life

No brainer IMO

dewey123
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/02/15 12:34:19 (permalink)
    i use blacks releases and 40 lb braid on my gear. mostly fish lake Ontario I dont even fish the streams with less than 15 for salmon let alone in a boat trolling with 12 lb. just stupid to me. Im not saying it cant be done but the fish will die after playing it out on 12 lb line trolling especially coming out a few hundred feet. Loosing fish dont bother me but loosing a 40 dollar set up- dipsy, spin doctor and fly drives me crazy.
    spinnerspooner
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/10/22 11:02:28 (permalink)
    Travis, I am very late in responding to your post, but I also like the Roemer's alot.   They can fasten directly to the downrigger cable as far above the cannonball weight as you would like such that you can stack multiple lines off of one downrigger cable to fish various depths.   They operate on the same simple technology as a vise-grip.   They have a tiny jaw that holds the line or leader.  There is a plastic screw that tightens or loosens to increase or decrease the force required to break open the jaw or close it.   Set it too loose and the slightest tug on your line will open the jaw and release the line or trying to get a little downward bow in your rod (while trolling) without activating the release will be impossible.   Set it too tight and you could have a smaller fish-on like a perch, or smaller walleye or bass and never know it because the jaw doesn't release.   The key is trying to find a happy medium.  

The newer model Roemers have a hole that's about 3/16" in size near the top of the release and you can run a snap clip thru this hole and fasten the release to the fin of your cannonball in that manner (if your cannonball has a hole or split ring clip attached.)   So you don't have to attach it to your downrigger cable if you don't want to.   Some of the older Roemers don't have this hole.
    Let me say that I have only attempted to attach the newer model Roemers to the cannonball fin.   When you attach the Roemer to the cannonball she is only anchored at the top of the release and it will pivot.    You can get a clean release when using the newer model Roemers attached this way, But if you use an older model Roemer that is not anchored on both ends by the downrigger cable it has difficulty in releasing and often the line remains hung up in the forked lever at the bottom.    I really can't explain why this is.   It's just been my experience.  

A mistake that I made in the beginning is that when you create a little loop in your line and you insert the top of that loop into the Roemer jaws you have the little forked lever at the bottom of the release into which you insert both ends of the loop.   Then the one line goes up to the fishing rod, the other goes out to your lure or bait.    YOU MUST RUN BOTH LINES THRU THE FORKED LEVER IN THE SAME DIRECTION OR FROM THE SAME SIDE.   If you criss-cross them they will have a tendency to hang up on the forked lever either when a fish strikes or when you are trying to free a rod from the boat.  

Contrary to what you may have read in recent years about Roemer Releases they are back in business again somewhere near Rochester.  The daughter and her husband now run it.   They have a website at http://www.roemerrelease.com    Roemers are the only kind of release I've ever used (on downrigging) but that's just because someone recommended them to me and I just never tried anything else.
    post edited by spinnerspooner - 2011/10/22 11:32:22

and some of them don't even know that they're dead.......and some of them can't grasp the fact that they're on ignore.
    Rough House
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/10/22 15:09:55 (permalink)

There is only one...
    Black's.

Ironhed

These are great.  I also have started using the chamberlain releases and they are fantastic as well

Lake Erie Fishing Charters out of Erie, PA.

https://roughhousecharters.com
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/10/22 16:55:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Rough House

These are great.  I also have started using the chamberlain releases and they are fantastic as well

I've always used Black's releases as well and have loved them...this year I tried the Chamberlains and I like them even better than the Black's.  I love the fact that you can crank your rods down tight, yet set the horizontal release tension very, very light so you know if you've picked up junk. 

Rough House
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: Downrigger Releases 2011/10/23 00:56:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bogeyjoker

ORIGINAL: Rough House

I've always used Black's releases as well and have loved them...this year I tried the Chamberlains and I like them even better than the Black's.  I love the fact that you can crank your rods down tight, yet set the horizontal release tension very, very light so you know if you've picked up junk. 

x2

Lake Erie Fishing Charters out of Erie, PA.

https://roughhousecharters.com
    Jump to: