Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
smallhook
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 964
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/08 15:49:00 (permalink)

Smallmouth on the Tribs

Why is it that the Smallmouth run into the cricks doesn't get the attention it deserves? I had a great Smallmouth Fishing trip on Elk Creek last year. Yes, the numbers of Smallmouth was down as compared to previous years but the fishing was just incredible. I can't wait till this springs run. It is crazy how many Suckers and Smallmouth run the tribs. Much more fun than Steelhead fishing. I had a 24" Smallmouth Bass break my rod last year at the Legion hole and it was simply one of the best fish that I caught last year.

71 Replies Related Threads

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3144
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 15:57:03 (permalink)
    how far up do they run and what time of year? like march/april?

I usually stick to fishing Allegheny River and French creek for em but that is interesting
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 16:00:39 (permalink)
    Are you trying to give it that attention?
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 16:03:15 (permalink)
    Smallhook I think with this post you are bringing it to the attention of people.  There are people who are very well aware of this, but have chosen to not broadcast it to the whole world.  I am not quite sure why you would want to.

I also think that most people prefer to fish for the smallies in the bay and the lake.
    post edited by Bughawk - 2011/02/08 16:04:08

pax vobiscum +
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 16:24:12 (permalink)
    I can't believe you have not learned what damage the internet can do in a VERY short amount of time. Do you really want the tribs to get more pressured???? Can you say more posted areas. Thanks!!!
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 17:37:48 (permalink)
    "Smallhook I think with this post you are bringing it to the attention of people. There are people who are very well aware of this, but have chosen to not broadcast it to the whole world. I am not quite sure why you would want to."

The same reason YOU post about fishing for cats on the tribs.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 17:45:57 (permalink)
    "I can't believe you have not learned what damage the internet can do in a VERY short amount of time. Do you really want the tribs to get more pressured???? Can you say more posted areas. Thanks!!! "

It has been brought up every year, and "the end" hasn't come. Sure the Smallie fishing is good. But that time of year, there is good/great fishing for numerous species all over the state. Most folks are taking advantage of those opportunities close to home. You'll never see "the masses" planning weekly trips for the tributary Smallie fishing.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 18:02:55 (permalink)
    Spoon, I sure hope you are right. BUT for the last 2 or 3 years I have now seen MORE people than fish at MOST of Erie's tribs in the fall.(I mainly fish the bay and lake) Keep in mind Spoon I have fished the Erie tribs since the late 70's. You don't think the web had any hand in this? People LIKE to be spoon fed and not have to EARN a fish. Its called being LAZY.  In Bug's defence I don't know anyone who willingly targets catfish. Bass is an entirely different subject.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 18:22:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Noplacelikehome

Spoon, I sure hope you are right. BUT for the last 2 or 3 years I have now seen MORE people than fish at MOST of Erie's tribs in the fall.(I mainly fish the bay and lake) Keep in mind Spoon I have fished the Erie tribs since the late 70's. You don't think the web had any hand in this? People LIKE to be spoon fed and not have to EARN a fish. Its called being LAZY.  In Bug's defence I don't know anyone who willingly targets catfish. Bass is an entirely different subject.

Now there is some spin. You mention the pressure of the tribs in fall, smallhook says spring run of smallmouth. Apples to Oranges

PFBC with its regional reports has mentioned catfish being caught at Walnut access. People know bout them

As far as Bass: Allegheny River, French Creek, Clarion River, Yough River, Connoquenessing Creek, Slippery Rock Creek, Shenango Lake all are better than Elk Creek for smallies in Western PA alone. Plus throw PI bay and open lake, the majority will not invade Elk Creek

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 18:25:26 (permalink)
    there are no smallmouth on the ohio side of pymatuning, just small carp and mudpuppies.

Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 18:44:46 (permalink)
    PSU, My point is this: I have seen the demise of the tribs in the fall. I don't want to see there demise almost ALL year long. I don't think land owners will accept even MORE pressure. This will bring about MORE posted land. Which equals less areas to fish ALL year. By the way I don't even consider myself a bass fisherman.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 18:53:40 (permalink)
    I guess it depends how far they run...I would think they come into the creeks during spring to feed or spawn or both then run back out to open water. I doubt many bass stick around in low water during the summer heat in a slate bottom creek, but by then I'm on the Allegheny and French and not even thinking bout Erie tribs
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 20:27:05 (permalink)
    I had fun and practiced my fly fishing skills when the carp were spawning - unbelieveable numbers!
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 21:41:51 (permalink)
    because, maybe guys don't want to be pole to pole casting for bass. please delete this thread...
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 21:58:00 (permalink)
    Spoon I do talk about cats on Elk and where I fish, at the mouth.  That bit of information is about as well known as there are steelies in the lower part of Elk in October.  Big difference in my book.

pax vobiscum +
    elkmaster
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 22:51:08 (permalink)
    Don't let the russians here about this
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 23:03:14 (permalink)
    Well what the hell are we supposed to talk about here? Some of you guys act like you are Templar Knights and you're protecting the Holy Grail. Geez. I prefer to fish for Smallmouth on the Yough but the tribs are alot of fun in the spring. They are in the creeks for less than a month and yes, they are a ton of fun. I have never seen a Smallmouth in the creeks after July.
    Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 294
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 23:05:45 (permalink)
    [Spoon with the only logical post in this thread... yinzers aren't going to flood the streams and pack Poor Richards for smoked bass.

Bass are better eatin'...I can't stand the taste of steelhead 

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
    ~by Henry David Thoreau~

fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 23:05:57 (permalink)
    I can remember several times where guys gave spots away to the world and on this site and came up to it and the hole is packed with guys or the spot is used more than it ever was before it was put online. I'm not into the whole spot burning idea as a terrible thing but I just don't want to give away the only spots and time there is to everyone out there.
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 23:25:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Noplacelikehome

In Bug's defence I don't know anyone who willingly targets catfish. Bass is an entirely different subject.

And the problem with catfishing is what????
    I've met many catters that have better "on the water" manners and consideration than bassers and steelheaders!

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/08 23:27:52 (permalink)
    You can talk all you want on this site about smallmouth in whatever numbers and how good the fishing is for them in the tribs. The fact is there will be no pressure for them whatsover this spring. There never has been and I really don't think mentioning them on here will.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/09 01:36:21 (permalink)
    I drive 6.5 hrs to fish for Steelies in Erie 'cause that's the only place they are in Penna.,but I'm not burning that gas for Smally's as they are everywhere in the state.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4913
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/09 08:28:22 (permalink)
    "That bit of information is about as well known as there are steelies in the lower part of Elk in October."

There are steelies in the lower part of Elk in October?

Who knew?

Man, I'm going to have to go up and fish for them.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    PaWolfman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/09 08:42:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pafisher

I drive 6.5 hrs to fish for Steelies in Erie 'cause that's the only place they are in Penna.,but I'm not burning that gas for Smally's as they are everywhere in the state.

You got it!!! You can only fish for Steelies in one area of the state. You can get Smallies all over the state. There is no way talking about smallmouth fishing in elk creek on this site is going to increase the fishing pressure much at all if any. I am not going to drive up to Erie to fish for smallmouth unless I want to fish with people that live up there. There are a lot of places closer to where I live that I can fish for smallies.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-Thomas Jefferson
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/09 08:43:36 (permalink)
    I guess I may over reacted a bit, but we all are aware of what the internet can do to a fishery.  Our beloved tribs are not what they were because of the internet.  I am not passing any judgment on that, just simply making an observation.

When it comes to smallmouths, they are in the streams tribs, Elk in particular.  That is not news.  You can catch them in Elk in the spring.  Again, that is not news.  To have a detailed discussion about where to catch them in public waters, i.e. down at the mouth, the Legion hole, etc... is not news. 

Hey as far as I am concerned, fish the creeks if you want, but unless you know where the good holes are, you will be spending more time walking the creek beds than fishing.

If you want trophy smallmouths, Elk creek is not the place to go.  There may be a few there, but there are way more in the lake and the bay.

pax vobiscum +
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/09 09:09:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys

"That bit of information is about as well known as there are steelies in the lower part of Elk in October."

Who knew?

Don't be afraid to look "above" route 5 you wouldn't beleive how far they travel...Oops cat out of bag.....sorry....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4913
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/09 09:36:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

ORIGINAL: DarDys

Who knew?

Don't be afraid to look "above" route 5 you wouldn't beleive how far they travel...Oops cat out of bag.....sorry....

I tried that once but ran into some real rifraf type people -- some smoked cigars.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Youghman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/09 09:40:31 (permalink)
    Smallhook- Now you really did it!!!!!
    The Yough will be like Manchester Hole. LOL
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/09 10:07:20 (permalink)
    worlds greatest fisherie... in the world

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Smallmouth on the Tribs 2011/02/09 13:02:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: smallhook

Why is it that the Smallmouth run into the cricks doesn't get the attention it deserves? I had a great Smallmouth Fishing trip on Elk Creek last year. Yes, the numbers of Smallmouth was down as compared to previous years but the fishing was just incredible. I can't wait till this springs run. It is crazy how many Suckers and Smallmouth run the tribs. Much more fun than Steelhead fishing. I had a 24" Smallmouth Bass break my rod last year at the Legion hole and it was simply one of the best fish that I caught last year.

Why do you ask??? Would you like to see it as much a fiasco as the steelhead fishing??

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: