Question for the Musky guys

Author
Noplacelikehome
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/08 14:00:11 (permalink)

Question for the Musky guys

I catch between 10 and 12 Musky per year(Susky river). I even caught 5 in one afternoon 3 years ago. Sounds good BUT they are all between 27 and 31 inches, everyone. The biggest one I ever landed was 37 inches(small I know). My question is why can I not ever hook into a good one(45 and up)? There has to be a couple around. Do smaller Muskys school together? I have tried larger baits(HJ14s),bucktails but I usually catch the same size fish or none at all. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?    In my opinion Steelhead caught on spoons(using light line) in the lake are the best fighting freshwater fish there is.    Thanks.

2 Replies Related Threads

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Question for the Musky guys 2011/02/08 14:35:05 (permalink)
    I fished hard for almost 2 seasons before I ever broke the 40" barrior. IMHO, fish in the 45+ range do not come a dime a dozen anywhere (well except for one place I know maybe)...keep in mind, you're NOT dealing with a schooling fish or one that is in abundance anywhere on most any body of water. Nature has proven that any given area of water can only sustain a certain number of muskies. There is an equasion for it and I forget what it is right now....I think its 1 or 2 fish per square acre of water. Therefore, my suggestion to you is that if you are catching some muskies in the Susky, keep fishing it, I'd be willing to bet there are some big ones around. Its just a matter of time before you hook into one. Persistance and time...those are the keys to muskie success. Good luck!

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Question for the Musky guys 2011/02/08 15:46:40 (permalink)
    ShutUpNfish makes some good points.  There are few really big ones out there, at least in our area.  It can take quite awhile to get into a really big fish.  I have fished for muskies in several areas where there quite a few and only put a couple into the canoe that were over 40.

I have heard that in the more northern lakes in Canada and the mid-west you can find some monsters that can go into the 60 inch range, but even there you have to work to find them.  Of course, there is a bit of luck involved as well.

I did read an article awhile back about a guy who was fishing with believe it or not dead squirrels.  He would rig them up and cast them out and within a short period of time had monster muskies attacking them.  I have not tried squirrels for bait, but maybe it is worth a try.  The trick is finding them dead in the summer time.  You can spend quite a bit of time looking for good road kill...

pax vobiscum +
    Jump to: