NORTHERN CHALLENGE

Author
eagleed
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/03 18:27:14 (permalink)

NORTHERN CHALLENGE

Eagle Crg and I will be off to the Northern Challenge on Mason Pond, Saturday Feb. 5th and will hope for weather a little warmer than last year.  When we arrived at 6am it was -12 with plenty of wind and our fishing spot only had 6' of water.  Needless to say we got skunked, but were glad we had a tent w/heater to keep us warm.
This year we will try for one of those great prizes while huddled around the campfire on the shoreline enjoying fine food, fellowship and plenty of the liquid refreshment.  Nice thing about this tournament is all the fun people you get to meet.  Even saw Wisdom up there with his Viking's jacket, while I had my Eagle's jacket.  Weather this year appears to be a little more comfortable with warmer temperatures, but that's the fun of ice fishing.
If others are going; look for the guy in the ragged Eagle's jacket and say hello.

Eagle Ed

2 Replies Related Threads

dakota man
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: NORTHERN CHALLENGE 2011/02/04 08:26:49 (permalink)
    Ed: Good luck to you and Lou in the 50-50. That sure was a cold day last year. Hope you guys have a great weekend. 

Dakota Man
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: NORTHERN CHALLENGE 2011/02/07 12:34:35 (permalink)
    Art:

Good thing you stayed home as they had the largest number of participants ever, BUT getting off at the shoreline was a circus with water up to 18" deep at the exit point.  Several people had to be rescued from the lake by high riding jeeps and other types of vehicles.  We didn't catch anything nor did we win any prizes.  By the end of the day the snow started again and by the next morning we had 6-8" more snow.
    Lou had great luck on Racquett Lake getting an 8 lb and 15 lb laker, but I got nothing.  Monday morning Lou went out and got another 8 lb. laker, but I headed home.  Tough walking out on any of the lakes as most had over a foot of snow with about 6" of slush underneath.  The ice was only 8-10" thick due to the slush under the snow.
    Plenty of good food, drinks and warm accommodations for the Super Bowl.

Eagle Ed
    Jump to: