Keeping minnows alive

Author
DJ2007
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 523
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/30 20:57:01 (permalink)

Keeping minnows alive

How do you guys keep minnows alive and well. i got a mix of fathead and shinners 2 weeks ago and threw them in a fish tank with a 2 filters and a aerator, and the fatheads started dying a few days ago. All shinners still alive. Feed them normal goldfish food.
Any tips. Had to work the last two weekends and hope to get out sat. thanks

19 Replies Related Threads

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/30 21:28:44 (permalink)
    citycop4
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 85
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/30 22:47:22 (permalink)
    I have minnows in my garage. I keep them in a plastic laundry tub with a filter and aerator. They do just fine. I feed them dehydrated algae. Doesn't cloud the water. I have a few die here and there it happens. If you are having a severe kill off check the filters. You may have a ammonia buildup.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/31 00:30:09 (permalink)
    Keep em good and cold. No city water. Bait saver helps and no food. They last a long time this time of year. Aerate if you can.
    carpediem
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/31 06:14:17 (permalink)
    If you just set things up and then drop a bunch of fish in, you're going to get ammonia buildup.  You have to have a system set up, and a filter (with good media) running for a long time to create a culture of beneficial bacteria to break down the ammonia and nitrites that result from the fish waste.  
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/31 11:09:48 (permalink)
    Wayne C:

Nice set up !

I used to use a 50 gallon horse trough in the basement, but it was not that eloaborate ! Thats awesome !
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/31 14:01:07 (permalink)
    If I'm just waiting 'til the next fishing trip, I stick 'em in a cooler on the back porch and change up to 50% of the water every couple of days. When I add the new water I pour it from a few feet above in order to help aerate it. I have never had an inexplicable die-off with this method.

Aerated or not, water changes and temperature (cool as possible) are the biggest factors in keeping them alive at home.

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    DJ2007
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/31 16:51:49 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, I set up a 10 gallon fish tank with 5 dozen or so minnows. May have to try something else. Let the water sit for a week to dissipate the chlorine and my filter has and ammonia reducer.

Do any of you catch your own? I have only gotten chubs and suckers when iv'e tried
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/31 16:53:01 (permalink)
    X 10 !!
    ORIGINAL: luvinbluegills

If I'm just waiting 'til the next fishing trip, I stick 'em in a cooler on the back porch and change up to 50% of the water every couple of days. When I add the new water I pour it from a few feet above in order to help aerate it. I have never had an inexplicable die-off with this method.

Aerated or not, water changes and temperature (cool as possible) are the biggest factors in keeping them alive at home.

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9722
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/31 16:54:55 (permalink)
    Waynec - awesome setup.

Have you ever tied to keep gizzard shad or alewives alive in there?

Those things are a pain to keep alive.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9722
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/31 17:02:18 (permalink)
    DJ -

That's all I have been able to catch too, besides shad in the rivers and alewives at Arthur. Also catch some darters. Not sure if fatheads or shiners are very prevelant in local streams? Chubs seem to be pretty hardy, but the 5"+ ones will take up a good bit of oxygen, so can't keep too many of them. They also like to jump out, so make sure you have a cover of some sort. Those rubber maid tubs with lids (drill a bunch of holes) work well. They're pretty cheap right after any holiday. I also used one of those beer tubs for a while, but had to improvise with a lid. Supposedly, shad and alewives need something without any edges, or they'll get caught in a seam and sufficate themselves. I wasn't too successful with the tube approach either.
    bronzeback2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/31 18:24:59 (permalink)
    Alwives have to be one of the hardest things to keep lively they seem very fragile, and they almost seem panicky, guess I'd be high strung too if I had to dodge wipers every spring and summer.
    petrulak
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/31 18:33:26 (permalink)
    i had some shinners that i had in a bucket in the garage with air.water was not cold,room temp. when we took them out to the lake they didnt do well.how do you guys get them ready for the colder water?
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/31 18:56:23 (permalink)
    ice. just sayin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    bigwillidm87
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/31 19:44:11 (permalink)
    you gotta keep the shinners outside ,  room temp is no good. soon as they hit the ice cold water, bam! they go into shock. i always have a styrofoam bucket  and i use a fish tank filter to  airate and clean the water
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/31 19:46:43 (permalink)
    Pork, yeah, it keeps shad just fine. I have had, maybe 3 dozen three or 4 inchers tops once. A couple of other times have had less, some smaller. Would love to get some larger ones. Hard for me to catch since cast nets arent legal around here...so i sometimes do some pizz poor improvising and manage to catch a few once in awhile. Theyre all pretty delicate, but seems the smaller ones are more delicate than the larger ones.

I find the hardest part is to keep them in good shape when and just after being caught. If you can get them straight into a large container with something like shad keeper or salt, to help keep their scales on, then get them home fairly quickly, the ones in good shape when they get home, they keep very well in my tub. Its just a 100 gallon horse tub, and got the idea of how to make a filter online with large bucket filter media, and a garden pond pump. Ive made a transport container out of a cooler, and ran pvc plumbing system inside self contained, with a livewell pump. No filter on it though. Though i may have to make a smaller version of my big one this season to go in the cooler to filter out scales etc. Freshly caught bluegills expel all kinds of things and make a mess out of the water at times. Cant keep them in it long. Same with shad, they lose scales and breathe them in, and ive read that damages their gills.

Ive kept just about any bait fish you can think of in the tub at one time or another... 'Cept alewife, we dont have those around here.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/01/31 19:57:56
    carpediem
    Avid Angler
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/31 21:38:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DJ2007

Thanks guys, I set up a 10 gallon fish tank with 5 dozen or so minnows. May have to try something else. Let the water sit for a week to dissipate the chlorine and my filter has and ammonia reducer.

Do any of you catch your own? I have only gotten chubs and suckers when iv'e tried

That aquarium ammonia reducer doesn't do much.  Especially when we're talking 5 dozen fish in a 10 gallon tank!  There are 2 ways to remove toxic fish waste from an enclosed ecosystem.  Water changes, or a bio-filter (like Wayne's bucket) which will give a place for bacteria to bloom.  Those bacteria break the ammonia down into nitrites causing another bloom of bacteria that break the nitrites into nitrates.  All of this takes a few weeks and if you just drop a ton of fish into a dead ecosystem with no bacteria in your filter media, the ammonia will go through the roof and kill the fish.  Occasional partial water changes are always a good idea, even with an established colony of beneficial bacteria.

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/31 22:28:40 (permalink)
    Yep. In the bucket there is filtering media, plus alot of quartz stone gravel. The nooks and crannies between the gravel stones builds up bacteria and gets some sludge, white film etc. in the bucket built up, and the water in the tank is crystal clear, and low ammonia. The amonia gets fed on as it passes throught the filter media & gravel containing the bacteria i think.

I dont do partial water changes, my filter was actually to the specs. that would be sufficient for even larger container, so it does a pretty good job. But i do add a bucket of water that i set aside so the chlorine evaporates and dump it in when i take a bucket out to take bait fishin'to keep proper water level. I will once every few months do a total water change, especially when ive been keeping lots of large baits in there, pretty much steady. Especially if there is a little sediment in the bottom that didnt get sucked to filter & walls of tub get a little slime/film build up.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/01/31 22:33:32
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/01/31 23:50:55 (permalink)
    Don't worry about getting them too cold. I have seen them freeze, then thaw and still swim.
    ORIGINAL: petrulak

i had some shinners that i had in a bucket in the garage with air.water was not cold,room temp. when we took them out to the lake they didnt do well.how do you guys get them ready for the colder water?

carpediem
    Avid Angler
    RE: Keeping minnows alive 2011/02/01 06:31:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wayne c

Yep. In the bucket there is filtering media, plus alot of quartz stone gravel. The nooks and crannies between the gravel stones builds up bacteria and gets some sludge, white film etc. in the bucket built up, and the water in the tank is crystal clear, and low ammonia. The amonia gets fed on as it passes throught the filter media & gravel containing the bacteria i think.

I dont do partial water changes, my filter was actually to the specs. that would be sufficient for even larger container, so it does a pretty good job. But i do add a bucket of water that i set aside so the chlorine evaporates and dump it in when i take a bucket out to take bait fishin'to keep proper water level. I will once every few months do a total water change, especially when ive been keeping lots of large baits in there, pretty much steady. Especially if there is a little sediment in the bottom that didnt get sucked to filter & walls of tub get a little slime/film build up.

Over time, you'll have nitrate buildup if you don't do some type of water change.  Ammonia and nitrite are very toxic to fish, nitrate is a lot less so, but still toxic at very high levels. 

Couple things...  Don't ever mess with that filter media unless you have to.  I might add a pad to the top of the bucket so the water drips through the pad first, then through the biological media.  Then you can take the pad out, rinse the sludge off, and put it back in without messing with your bio-filter.  If you empty the tank out and let the media dry out, you'll kill your bacteria.  If you empty the tank and fill with chlorine water you'll kill off a good deal of the bacteria.  It sounds like you're doing the right things, nothing speaks as loudly as success.  I've used similar setups on a much larger scale i.e. I built canister type filters out of 55 gallon pickle barrels that ran my entire fish room.  Yours is a very nice setup for bait fish.  Right now I have a leaker 210 gallon tank in my basement that I'm considering repairing and turning into a bait tank.  I'm just not sure I use live bait enough to justify it.
    Jump to: