Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
NOSteelerz
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/14 22:01:34 (permalink)

Erie Bait

Hey I'm lookin to do some ice fishing this weekend in Erie. Anyone got any advice on where to get bait? Any places to avoid?

33 Replies Related Threads

jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/14 22:27:43 (permalink)
    poor richards is your best bet for minnows. other than that any shop will work. Bac is located just above the peninsula
    B.HINES
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/15 19:53:40 (permalink)
    I would avoid BAC at all costs, they charge way too much and only give you a small amount of bait. For example, when you buy a dozen of minnows, they only give you 12(most baitshops give you a full scoop). Not a very good deal at all.
    post edited by B.HINES - 2011/01/15 19:54:37
    jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/16 00:10:47 (permalink)
    Bhines....your correct just misinformed. BAC will definitely count your minnows shamelessly. If you pay for a dozen you get a dozen. Poor richards will give you a "scoop".

However, the prices on any other bait, spoon, hook, bobber is comparable. BAC is a great shop for hard to find items. They also have a great bargain bin in the back.  Great for everything EXCEPT minnows.

Don't be so quick to trash a shop over minnow prices, he been there almost 35 years. He's doing something right.
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/16 06:53:33 (permalink)
    I always get my minnows from bac when i head up to PI and i've never had a problem with their bait count. I pay for what i ask for. If i need more, i pay for more. I dont expect them or any other shop to just give me free bait.
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/16 09:08:08 (permalink)
    I know some locals that drive out their way and waste the extra 1-2 bucks in gas to avoid bac.  Doesn't seem logical, but they felt they have been burned too many times.   
    bubbaman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/17 09:59:47 (permalink)
    same story with me, I have bought 2 doz at BAC and thats what I got 24 minnows, and when I questioned the low count, I was told that was it , and if I didn't like it go next door ! i/e there is now one else in the imediate area, so you no what I drive 5 miles out of my way to someone else. and BAC can stick his shop where the sun don't shine.I have fished and bought bait for more years than I like to remember, and can't recall anyone actually counting bait. Hannson's would give you a very generous amount,and we always spent alot more on last minnute supplies and snacks. just saying, I'll take the extra time and take my small patronage elsewhere !
    Bigpikeguy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/17 15:54:35 (permalink)
    Really should not be so hard on the guys at BAC. They are nice people and are always happy to give you a good report on what going on in the bay as far as fishing goes. I rarely get minnows but when i do i get them at BAC and they last all day for me which is more important to me than getting a few more.
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/17 20:49:24 (permalink)
    I have been going to B.A.C at Presque Isle for many years and NEVER had them count each minnow. I always got more than I paid for. I have known them for many years, maybe that helps. Al his son & nephews and his brothers are Great people.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    chrishinesg
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 432
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/18 08:27:23 (permalink)
    i have been fishing the area for a while and have tried several bait shops all around. the people at BAC have never NOT counted my minnows, and when asked about their practice of counting, i was given and attitude, so i stopped going there. a "dozen" minnows is a relative term...im not buying eggs. if you are a friend of the people working at BAC then i am sure you are getting good deals on bait and accurate reports....but for the people not familiar to the workers at BAC, spend the extra buck or two on gas and easily save that much not having to buy extra "dozens" to get you through your fishing day. my favorite shop is presque isle angler located at state & bayfront....minnows cheaper per "dozen" and you get more in your "dozen" with a great attitude from the workers.
    beerman0303
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 869
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/18 10:08:31 (permalink)
    Why do people expect more than 12 minnows when thats what they pay for. Its not just this thread, I have seen it posted on numerous others. True, some places will give you more than a dozen, but you should consider that a bonus, not expect it from everyone. On the other hand, if they count out 12, you are not getting "RIPPED OFF," you are getting what you paid for. I'm sure that any of the small business owners on this site would take offense to one of their customers claiming to be ripped off, when you provided what was agreed upon at the agreed upon price. OK rant over, sorry!!
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/18 10:31:51 (permalink)
    i wish i can get a few extra bottles of beer from my friendly beer dist. when i buy a case!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8511
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/18 10:44:14 (permalink)
    Just cut the minnows in half.

B.HINES
    Avid Angler
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/18 14:30:06 (permalink)
    Okay heres the bottom line:

PI Angler "Emerald Shiner dozen" = 24+ MINNOWS for $2.50
    BAC "Emerald Shiner dozen" = 12 MINNOWS for $3.00

These are FACTS.
    ToothyCritterGitter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/18 18:05:25 (permalink)
    IMO, A dozen minnows is more based on the WEIGHT (the shops buy it in weight not count), not meticulously counting 12 minnows.  I like BAC but I agree with the masses...  It's greedy...  A dozen minnows is not 12.  Crawlers, grubs, etc is a little different.  You don't have the loss.
    chrishinesg
    Expert Angler
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/18 18:30:08 (permalink)
    beerman...if you want 12 minnows for $3 when you can get more for your money then go right ahead. i, and about 250 million americans, look for the BEST DEAL. its the AMERICAN WAY. all this thread was started for was to awnser a simple question about bait shops so enjoy your dozen(12) for $3 from BAC when you can get a "dozen" (20-30) for $2.50 elsewhere.
    saltydog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/18 18:37:48 (permalink)
    I would rather give an honest business man a thousand dollars, than give one dime to a guy that's gonna stick it in as far as he can go
    post edited by saltydog - 2011/01/18 18:39:11
    beerman0303
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 869
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/19 08:11:12 (permalink)
    I don't begrudge anyone for looking for the most value, I do it all the time. In fact, if you don't you are just plain wasting money. But that is different from waht people are saying on this thread.

1. "I got 2 dozen minnows, and when I only got 24, I questioned the low count. The count is not low, it's 24.

2. IMO a "dozen" is based more on weight. Wrong, a dozen is, was, and always will be 12. Lots of business buy their inventory in differnt units from which they sell to customers, how the bait store buys it's bait is irrelevant.

That being said, I don't blame people for going elsewhere, I would too, just don't make it sound like this place is ripping people off, cause they are not. I don't even know anything about the bait store in question, it just seems to me that a lot people what something for nothing.

Imagine its quitting time at your job. Your boss says, "Hey at the company across the street, the guys work 10 hours, so stay for two more for the same price." I can only guess where you guys would tell him to stick it!!! LOL
    bubbaman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/19 13:27:31 (permalink)
    as soon as the law was changed about transfering emerads out of the erie water shed the price went up everywhere. the old supply and demand thing. It's. If you are buying large suckers or shiners then I can see counting, but emeralds or crappie minnows are bought by the pound or netted from the lake, maybe we should ask for 8oz or a lb and save the bullcrap from the people behind the counter at bac.when you ask about why they count each minnow.wich comes out to 25 cents per minnow, every one needs to make a living, but I think selling more tackle is a better buisness than selling bait, I always thought bait was to get customers in the door, tackle and supplies was where you made your profit. Heh it's their buisness, but myself and quite a few others won't step inside their door!
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/19 19:12:00 (permalink)
    maybe catch your own? creeks are loaded at the mouths on the east side tribs with them. I go to any creek around there in my waders and get 5 dozen in 5 mins
    eyesofsteel
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/20 23:20:14 (permalink)
    greedy guy with a loyal following if customers and no competition within 8 miles.  i have had words with them many times before. simple solution, i don't shop there.  would not P!$$ on him if he was on fire still...

i try to make my dollars last as long as possible. 

don't let them try to fool you they have a golden cash cow and they catch their own bait!
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/21 09:49:26 (permalink)
    It's his business what he charges for a DOZEN (That's 12...) minnows. You can call it greedy if you want...dishonest? No. I would argue that it's unwise from a marketing/business perspective. It's YOUR business where you get your minnows. I'm always amazed at people that expect more than what they paid for. If I purchased minnows from BAC and I noticed that I could get a better value from the guy a few miles down the road, then I'd have to decide if it was worth the extra drive to get minnows at the other place next time. I wouldn't argue with the owner or employee at BAC (unless I thought I DIDN'T get the amount I paid for), what's the point in that?

We're talking about purchasing a couple dozen minnows guys...not stereo equipment or boats.
    chrishinesg
    Expert Angler
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/21 12:38:53 (permalink)
    for the people going ice fishing once or twice a year i would agree. i am on the ice 2 or 3 times a week and paying and extra $3 each time adds up over the course of a 10-12 week season (if we are lucky). $3 x 3 times a week=$9. $9 x 10-12 weeks=$90-$108. plus im getting my minnows for $2.50 per "dozen", so factor that into the situation. im using the money i save to buy a used underwater camera for $100. you're right, its not stero equipment, but it is worth the time to drive somewhere where they dont count your minnows if you are fishing more than a couple times a season, and its obvious that there is only one bait shop that uses this practice. so the issue is not what a dozen consists of, but what is the standard practice of selling minnows to the public, and the standard is bait shop ownerns dont care to count out 12 minnows per dozen unless they are GREEDY!!!!!
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/21 14:16:35 (permalink)
    The only solution for this is buy more than you'll need when you go to the baitshop thats out of the way. That way you save time on your next trip out. That is, if your bait survives. Everybody has their opinions here. I dont understand some but i respect everyones right to one.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/21 15:29:36 (permalink)
    Took your advice bought 12 dozen minnows(at local bait shop) and thats just what I got,it took the girl 15 min. to count to 144 minnows,Cheap a--,I don't buy bait at that shop.Nor do I buy grubs there or anywhere,JADA 2000 waxies $ 48 bucks no shippping and no money spent on gas driving around,I'd rather throw half of them away than run out of bait.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/22 07:42:10 (permalink)
    when a shop owner tells me to go elsewhere if i don't like what i'm getting from him, that's exactly what i do. haven't been to BAC in years and will never go back. they can stick their attitude up their dupas. all the other bait shops are more than generous with their minnie counts (love the old guy at the East Ave. marina). can understand the low counts as the summer wanes on and the minnies are going deeper and are harder to get to, but not in the spring and early summer. i'm not looking for something for nothing, just liked the customer service and the need NOT to make the biggest buck off of your customers if it keeps them returning. customer satifaction and loyalty need not become a thing of the past in this industry too. the old bait shops were like the old general stores of eons ago: a place to buy what you needed, get info, congregate and just shoot the bull, AND NOT GET RIPPED OFF! Ahhh Smitty's!!!!!! i'd like to know the ages of the posters here who thinks a "dozen" minnies is the actual counting out of 12 baitfish. willing to bet they're younger and used to these kind of changes in the american marketplace. old timers like myself tho know a dozen minnies is always a healthy scoop.
    chrishinesg
    Expert Angler
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/22 10:59:03 (permalink)
    amen pike...i remember smitty...those were the days...although i dont consider myself an old timer...i just love the fact that some of these guys think a "dozen" minnows is 12 counted out in front of you...what a joke
    jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/22 22:51:13 (permalink)
    This is by far the biggest collection of greedy whiners I have ever seen. Any of you that complained about BAC have bigger problems than math. If I owned the store, I would ask you to shop elsewhere as well. Dude don't need your minnie money, or your hassles, believe it.

All of You should be ashamed, what an "expectant" group of people. That's my last comment on it, whine away
    B.HINES
    Avid Angler
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/22 22:56:42 (permalink)
    If YOU owned the store, this thread would probably be more focused on the arrogance of the owner...
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Erie Bait 2011/01/23 09:34:04 (permalink)
    Sure do miss the days of the Bait Pond up at Chautauqua.
    used to buy them by the scoop for $2. 3 dozen minimum.
    If you were a regular you got even more..
    Was getting bait for the Canadohta derby once and asked for 3 scoops, There was more bait there than you could keep alive in a 5 gallon bucket...

Only time I have ever had my bait counted was at the shop on Dobbins landing many years ago.
    7 of us were going to hit PI that day and stopped in there for bait.
    We spent well over $100 between the 7 of us.
    I asked for 5 dozen minnows not realizing they were going to be counted (as this had never happened before).

As he was counting the minnows I repeatedly asked him for the larger minnows as that was the bait we desired, he kept telling me I did not want the large ones and kept counting out the smallest minnies in the tank, giving me more attitude as his counting progressed. Not what I wanted or asked for..If you can pick out the small ones you can just as easily pick out the larger size.

He was lucky we had two young boys with us, this kept me from arguing with him over the deal.
    He was dam lucky I didn't trip on the way out of his store and spill my 5 dozen mini minnies on his shop floor. Was the last time I ever set foot in his establishment...
    Mind you this was before any of the restrictions were put on bait and the prices rose.

I have bought a lot of bait over the years and very seldom are they counted to the exact number.
    So I choose to frequent the places that are a little more generous with their "dozen" minnies.

post edited by bingsbaits - 2011/01/23 09:37:30

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: