S-10...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
RE: S-10... 2011/01/18 01:07:55 (permalink)
I wish everybody had the same view as you do.You don't have to spend a house payment to have a good time. One in the freezer is only icing on the cake !!
ORIGINAL: retired guy

Hey OUTDOOR I use an old Hoyt compound with 31"  Easton Alum. arrows and 125 Thunderheads along with straight fletching and those old glow pins. About the only upgrade I have made since my hair was dark is a trigger release . I love that release.
   Shoots straight-passes through- weighs a lot, and has taken mucho deer, lots of Turkey and a bear also assorted small stuff- love it.
    Besides its not about how much stuff you kill - its about a good time,

BIGHEAD
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: S-10... 2011/01/18 07:57:19 (permalink)
Over the years I have tried a few different broadheads. And Have killed deer with all the ones I have tried. But I still love the sound of a 125 Thunderhead smacking a deer over all the others. The only problem with the thunderheads is they are not as straight as they use to be. Using a spinner for tuning roughly one out of a pack of six are good to go. The older ones was always the opposite, One out of six was not quite up to par. Good thing for me is that I found a couple new 6 packs of the old thunderheads and new blades in the back of the gun cabinet. Which I will be using for a long time!!!
post edited by BIGHEAD - 2011/01/18 07:59:58
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: S-10... 2011/01/18 20:04:57 (permalink)
The Thunderheads do seem to be amoung a fairly small number of fixed heads that are simply but efficiently designed for a minimum of friction on pass through and a tip that is no larger than necessary for starting the penetration. I started my grandson on my extras when I went to expandables and he has had very good luck with them. I see a few others I think would be as good but I am not one to do a lot of expermenting. Heck, I shot aluminum arrows, feathers and fingers until five years ago.
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: S-10... 2011/01/19 16:40:12 (permalink)
Hey Big-
Went nuts one season by loosing a couple of new packs of thunders and had to go out and buy more. They were expensive on my budget at the time. Since finding  the first ones I had so many around I didnt need them all.
It was a blessing in  disguise, now have a lot of 'the old ones"  and just file them a bit now and then when the chisel point gets dull- they still hit true.  Have been using the same heads for a number of years and only shoot field tips for target till my last day or so when I change over and pick out my 4 hunting tipped arrows to place on the bow carrier.
No need to take a chance on messing up the hunting heads practicing with them all the time.

BTW- that SMACK is a great sound-generally followed by YEEEEHAAA
post edited by retired guy - 2011/01/19 19:25:06
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: S-10... 2011/01/21 14:48:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BIGHEAD

Mike, Crimson made these a few years ago and they looked cool and sold me. And Saw them on a sportsmen show and they showed them cutting a hole threw a telephone book and It did in fact drill a hole the hole way threw. But I killed 2 deer with them and on impact they veered off the one side or the other. Both shoots hit right in the heart and one ended up coming out the brisket the other went into the guts. Also they were broadside shots!!!!!there is a pic Dave

The way the law is written as "same plane" these are illegal. They were but it was reversed because the president of the company made a trip to PA and dicussed with game comm. Interesting. Wonder how a visit can justify a change ?

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: S-10... 2011/01/21 21:45:40 (permalink)
     Yea there has been a ton of head innovations over the years some made it others didnt fare too well.- I have never liked these new blades that open on impact. Too many stories of impact that wasnt exactly square and the head opening and the arrow turning on a wierd angle on entry cause one blade opened and struck bone quicker than the other. I hate to wound.
    Anyone remember those old Colt Super Hilbre heads. Probably back in the  60s. They were real long and came to a real narrow point. Actually about 3 inches long and the metal cutting edge was imbeded into some kind of plastic. The head was so weak and thin I think it curled over in a stiff wind. The extra cutting blades were far back and real small. Couldnt replace them as I recall. Hard to sharpen the whole thing.
     They were crazy on woodchucks cause you could take pliers and rebend the tip. Didnt have to be that sharp either.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: S-10... 2011/01/21 22:10:34 (permalink)
I've got a dozen old wood arrows in my collection that are tipped with those Hilbre heads. As you said the plastic caused too much drag on entry and the heads bent upon hitting anything solid. A lot of guys around here used them but I stuck with the Bear Razors. The Hilbre were tough to sharpen and hard to fit back in the plastic. The first ones came out about 1959 but the one your talking about was mid 60's. They didn't break on impact often but they sure did bend.I never tried them on chucks.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: S-10... 2011/01/22 20:37:19 (permalink)
If you could stalk a chuck you can stalk a buck- best darned practice going
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: