20 Mile and gas drilling

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
papinner
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1083
  • Reward points: 0
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/14 18:06:46 (permalink)
Well heres my take on all this. The rich get richer and the poor can only **** about it. I am not for the drilling around 20 mile whatsoever but if it comes to that then its out of our hands. The one landowner that makes money off 20 mile is now going to make even more money from the drilling. Maybe this will go full circle and karma will pay her back but I highly doubt it. So all I can say is deal with it and hopefully it doesnt ruin a great resource.
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/14 19:15:19 (permalink)
Pretty obvious this is a strong topic of discussion. Have not been on all week and when I saw the post concerning 20 mile, I thought it was time I threw my two cents out there for what that’s worth. For me, I’ve been following the Bristol Bay threat to a great degree and although I have been reading up on the shale drilling, I’ve kind of let my feelings go silent and for me … that’s just wrong because this is something that is taking place right here at home. When it comes to interests such as this I tend to get pretty concerned. The Marcellus Shale Drilling is something that is kind of unique in that - yes there is a huge deposit of gas right under our feet - and yes it will provide a boost to the people who live here - and yes, it will provide a resource that will help an economy here in Pennsylvania that has problems. Fracking is not new… it is a method that has been used in the past with success in tapping out shallow gas reserves. Problems have arisen though when overzealous companies like Cabot see income and profits from a minor (in their overall budgets) investment in deep drilling. They tend to put the environment at a risk in their search for their own success. Can deep wells be drilled safely without any impact to the surrounding environment? Personally, I strongly doubt it. But I hope the successful methods do come to light because I believe that the drilling will continue. I attended a two day seminar some time ago that focused on water quality. The water in our wells arrives in two ways they said - depending on the rock formations. In hard shale it can take up to ten years to reach our supply and can travel hundreds of miles. When the rock is fractured, this time and distance is decreased dramatically. - to the point where the water arrival to our wells can become very local. As posted there are many issues with hydraulic fracturing and it is a shame that is has taken this long to arrive to a consensus that stronger oversight must take place.

I feel - and again - just my two cents - that a more major issue is at stake here. We are actually in the infancy of our environment’s future history. Many of the issues we face now were not a concern 50 or even as young as 20 years ago. I fear for the world that my great - grandchildren will live in. What will it be like? Will there be that colorful native brookie in my favorite water? Will they have the opportunity to see a great run of sockeye? Will they see a coast off of New Jersey like I see it now? How will they heat their homes and power their lights? Who really knows these answers. Bottom line though is that I hope they do not look back on these times that we are living and experiencing now and wish we would have done more. Volunteering our precious time to help out on a few weekends to restore a severely eroded stream bank, getting involved with local environmental issues at municipal meetings, and discussions like we have here, both against and yes, for. These are good discussions and are things that help - not hinder. It shows that we are aware and hopefully are involved.

In the end - perhaps all of this is why when I fish, I tend to spend more time than ever before looking around the world I find myself in. Many times I have found myself sitting along 20 or Elk looking at the shale cliffs in amazement as to how this very current has created this scene I’m looking at. With age, I tend to think and sit more than cast. Guess perhaps I’m worried that with all that is going on in our world that there may be a time when it will all change.
post edited by steely34 - 2011/01/14 19:28:03

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Bwayangler
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/14 19:26:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

Lets See now
1. Can't burn wood because it puts too many pollutents in the air
2. Can't burn coal for the same reason
3. Nucelar energy is too dangerous
4. Can't use wind because windmills kill too many birds
5. Can't drill for oil or build any more refineries because it is too polluting
6. Can't drill for natural gas because it is too polluting
7. Can't use the sun because we only have 50 sunny days in the Northeast
8. It's snowing outside and the temperature is zero
9. Any suggestions

You hit the nail right on the head!

We shouldn't use any fossils fuels, and alternative energy sources are harmful in other ways, or uneconomical.   And Don't drill here..... These resources exist somewhere else, Right? As long as its not in my backyard! The Middle East has plenty of Oil.....   Face it... Nobody is willing to give up their every day conveniences that require the use of fossil fuels, and most people refuse to cut back...  Should i buy the hybrid SUV, or the one with the V8?  ehhhhh.... I think I'll take the V8. I definitely have huge concerns for our environment and our fisheries, but I sort of feel like there are a few Hypocrites out there.

So I guess my question is what are you doing to help?
jaymztrain
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/14 20:47:58 (permalink)
Riverbum
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 294
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/15 09:27:52 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: papinner

Well heres my take on all this. The rich get richer and the poor can only **** about it. I am not for the drilling around 20 mile whatsoever but if it comes to that then its out of our hands. The one landowner that makes money off 20 mile is now going to make even more money from the drilling. Maybe this will go full circle and karma will pay her back but I highly doubt it. So all I can say is deal with it and hopefully it doesnt ruin a great resource.

What exactly is wrong with the rich getting richer?? Most of the rich EARNED their wealth through hard work, taking calculated risks and making timely, intelligent decisions throughout their lives. Sounds like "wealth envy" to me and believe me I'm not among them, I just don't **** about someone else's success.

Now, the real purpose of my response was to add this from yesterday's PG...it's not the drilling or the wells, it's all about the water used. Where its taken from, and how its disposed of...

Letters to the editor
Friday, January 14, 2011
We need an accounting of drilling wastewater
I was shocked to read in The Associated Press article "Pa. Allows Dumping of Tainted Water" (Jan. 4) that despite the Marcellus gas industry's best efforts to recycle (see Kathryn Klaber's Jan. 9 letter, "Water Is Recyled"), 6 million barrels of wastewater had to be disposed of last year and 60 percent of it ended up in our waterways, where it's causing carcinogens in our drinking water.
I was even more shocked to read that despite the state Department of Environmental Protection's regulation of this activity (see DEP Secretary John Hanger's Jan. 6 letter, "Pennsylvania Is Meeting Marcellus Challenges"), DEP cannot account for 20 percent of those 6 million barrels. The department doesn't know where it went!
This situation clearly calls for Pennsylvania to enact cradle-to-grave accounting for Marcellus wastewater so that DEP is certain that those 1.28 million barrels didn't end up in our drinking water as well.
Frankly, Pennsylvania is crazy to allow this dangerous disposal method. If we stopped allowing it in our waterways and if we had cradle-to-grave accounting to track it, we'd be able to drink our water without fear.
As it is, we are all unwilling guinea pigs in the giant public health experiment called drilling for Marcellus Shale gas.
KATE ST. JOHN
Greenfield

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11014/1117776-110.stm#ixzz1B76iFkAR

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
~by Henry David Thoreau~

Riverbum
Expert Angler
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/15 10:02:29 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Bwayangler

ORIGINAL: S-10

Lets See now
1. Can't burn wood because it puts too many pollutents in the air
2. Can't burn coal for the same reason
3. Nucelar energy is too dangerous
4. Can't use wind because windmills kill too many birds
5. Can't drill for oil or build any more refineries because it is too polluting
6. Can't drill for natural gas because it is too polluting
7. Can't use the sun because we only have 50 sunny days in the Northeast
8. It's snowing outside and the temperature is zero
9. Any suggestions

You hit the nail right on the head!

We shouldn't use any fossils fuels, and alternative energy sources are harmful in other ways, or uneconomical.   And Don't drill here..... These resources exist somewhere else, Right? As long as its not in my backyard! The Middle East has plenty of Oil.....   Face it... Nobody is willing to give up their every day conveniences that require the use of fossil fuels, and most people refuse to cut back...  Should i buy the hybrid SUV, or the one with the V8?  ehhhhh.... I think I'll take the V8. I definitely have huge concerns for our environment and our fisheries, but I sort of feel like there are a few Hypocrites out there.

So I guess my question is what are you doing to help?

Hypocrites? How about these hypocrites...you know GE has the primary contract to supply and install those electric vehicle "charge stations". You drive up and plug in your car and charge it up. You talk about additional strain on the grid!  Plus, where exactly does the vast majority of that electricity come from? COAL-FIRED POWER PLANTS!

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
~by Henry David Thoreau~

papinner
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1083
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/15 12:09:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Riverbum

ORIGINAL: papinner

What exactly is wrong with the rich getting richer?? Most of the rich EARNED their wealth through hard work, taking calculated risks and making timely, intelligent decisions throughout their lives. Sounds like "wealth envy" to me and believe me I'm not among them, I just don't **** about someone else's success.

I have nothing against rich people getting richer. I am not envious of them whatsoever. What makes me mad is losing more and more of a stream that I've fished for 20 years and now it might get ruined forever because of some morons wanting to make more money. It upsets me to think that my kids will never get to experience the fishing that I have. So I say more power to you make all the money you can and hope you have enough money when you meet your maker to buy your way in. Thats it for me on this subject.
THE FERD
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/15 18:20:01 (permalink)
For anyone following this thread and may want to support the safety of 20 mile creek there will be a township meeting on Monday Jan. 17th at the township building at 9:00 AM reguarding the permits for drilling on 13 sites in North East including the two drilling sites next to 20 mile creek . please come and show your support and let the township officals know we don't want this in our town .

THE FERD
deetz4352
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3549
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/16 08:45:45 (permalink)
I was going to attend but FORGOT I will not be in town. Someone add my name to the "I dont want drilling" to the list. Or just hold up 2 hands for the "NO" vote. Thanks

The Deetz

The Deetz
Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
jon_e_si
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1103
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/16 10:02:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: deetz4352

I was going to attend but FORGOT I will not be in town. Someone add my name to the "I dont want drilling" to the list. Or just hold up 2 hands for the "NO" vote. Thanks

The Deetz

Do you want $5.00/gallon gas or $10.00/gallon gas to go fishing???
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/16 10:53:01 (permalink)
70% of the determining factor for the price of a gallon of gasoline is the value of the US dollar...Only 30% is supply and demand related....The countries who hold the oil will not accept US dollars knowing we're printing them without limit unless we allow the oil price to rise....The government could raise the margin requirement on oil trading to inhibit speculation but they won't do it....
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/16 11:59:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jon_e_si

The Deetz

Do you want $5.00/gallon gas or $10.00/gallon gas to go fishing???

Please explain this to me. So more natural gas means lower gasoline prices? How?

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/16 12:50:20 (permalink)
I honestly believe $4.50 per 1000 cubic feet of nat gas is the new base price....the cost to deliver 1000 cu. feet of Marcellus shale gas is around $3.50....Thanks to the marcellus, and other shale plays, gas is extremely plentiful...I have a hard time seeing it above $6 in the next 5 years.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/16 14:17:04 (permalink)
"Please explain this to me. So more natural gas means lower gasoline prices? How?"

By reducing demand. many fleet vehicles ( UPS, USPS, public transit ) now operate on NG. Also, anyone with oil heat, and access to gas would be a fool not to replace their furnace. Between the lower fuel costs, greater effeciency of today's furnaces, and energy tax credits. You could probably pay for it, and be enjoying savings in 3 years or less. The latter has two benefits. Lower demand for crude, and more refining capacity devoted to gasoline production, rather than heating oil.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/16 15:10:22 (permalink)
Where are you living that natural gas is cheaper than fuel oil? Its no where near cheaper where I live near pittsburgh, and its not cheaper where my parents live up north either. AFTER buying a new furnace I'd be stuck with a bill about %25 higher here.

Also, your definition of "many" is interesting when it comes to numbers of vehicles running on NG. I did some research, and America doesn't even make an honorable mention of nations that use CNG in vehicles. Use is almost entirely limited to fleet vehicles, like you said, and the purchase or conversion of CNG vehicles is highly subsidized. Unless you have $30,000 to $50,000 grand laying around, and live in California, NG isn't a viable alternative to gasoline power for vehicles.

The argument that drilling for natural gas will somehow lead to a decrease in demand for foreign oil is complete BS. The effort and expenditure required to covert a sizable portion of American automobiles to NG is astronomical. Responsible drilling is fine, but arguing that more natural gas will mean significantly less foreign oil anytime in the next 20 years is unrealistic.

OHWM
jon_e_si
Pro Angler
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/17 09:33:07 (permalink)

Please explain this to me. So more natural gas means lower gasoline prices? How?

I'm not sure I can, but there have been a couple of good explanations already. I feel we as a nation need a comprehensive energy policy that encompasses solar, nuclear, wind, coal, oil, gas, hydro-electric from the rivers and the tides, and even wood. There are "antis" to all of these. Unfortuantely, too many of our elected officials cave in to their demands and do what they feel is politically expedient.

A while back I posted T.Boone Pickens prediction that oil would go to $80.00/ barrel (it's over $90.00 now - hence the spike in prices)and he based his statement not on any great knowledge, but on the fact that the OPEC ministers said that's where they needed the price to be. If they keep printing dollars or in other ways devalue the dollar, some are predicting $125.00/barrel, which will result in another big spike, more than most average wage earners can afford, which will cut into their fishing/gas dollars.

These things don't happen overnight. You can't build a nuclear plant today and put it on line tomorrow, the same applies to a gas well, coal mine, hydro-electric facility, etc. The people in the industry who are in the business of selling energy in one form or another are going to do it at a profit or will cease to exist! All these costs are passed to you the consumer and your wages are probably not going to increase proportionately!

Most of us remember when Erie was termed the DEAD SEA as the result of industrial pollution, but has since been greatly cleaned up,by the industries that created the problem and thanks in part to the zebra mussel, which also provides a food base, but was thought by some to be an ecological diaster! We need energy to run our homes, industry, vehicles, including our fishing boats. During the embargo of the 70's, the wealthy had fuel. The cheaper our energy costs, the more of our citizens will benefit!

People need to look at the future as well as today. It's okay to protest something, but they should also be able to present a realistic economical alternative or maybe re-think their position!
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4026
RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/17 11:14:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

Where are you living that natural gas is cheaper than fuel oil? Its no where near cheaper where I live near pittsburgh, and its not cheaper where my parents live up north either. AFTER buying a new furnace I'd be stuck with a bill about %25 higher here.

Also, your definition of "many" is interesting when it comes to numbers of vehicles running on NG. I did some research, and America doesn't even make an honorable mention of nations that use CNG in vehicles. Use is almost entirely limited to fleet vehicles, like you said, and the purchase or conversion of CNG vehicles is highly subsidized. Unless you have $30,000 to $50,000 grand laying around, and live in California, NG isn't a viable alternative to gasoline power for vehicles.

The argument that drilling for natural gas will somehow lead to a decrease in demand for foreign oil is complete BS. The effort and expenditure required to covert a sizable portion of American automobiles to NG is astronomical. Responsible drilling is fine, but arguing that more natural gas will mean significantly less foreign oil anytime in the next 20 years is unrealistic.

Sonof,
Natural Gas is cheaper than heating oil, at least where I am at. 

Here is a comparison using 2008 prices. 

• One gallon of #2 heating oil produces 138,500 BTU. A barrel consists of 42 U.S. gallons, and costs $86.50, so a gallon costs $2.06. 138,500 BTU for $2.06 means 67,000 BTU per dollar.
  • Natural gas is sold in units of 1,000,000 BTU at a current cost of $6.58, which is 151,975 BTU per dollar.

Prices for NG are less (wholesale) right now and costs for heating oil are more so there is even more separation. ($4.60 for NG MBTU and $2.60 /gal. for #2 oil)
    Here are the current future prices:
    http://money.cnn.com/data/commodities/

Of course, delivery of each needs to be factored in and NG will still be cheaper and the best NG furnaces are still more efficient than the best Oil furnaces. 

Oil furnaces also require more maintenance tha NG furnaces so those costs need to be factored in as well.

I agree, not as many vehicles run off of NG but if the infrastructure was put in place to support it, it would be a viable option.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/17 13:32:55 (permalink)
    I agree with son of Z. Heating oil is $3.15 a gal where I live. NG is about $3.50 a gal.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4026
    RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/17 15:23:56 (permalink)
    Not sure what you are trying to compare here, though.  If you are heating a house at today's rates, much cheaper to be using NG vs. heating oil, at least in SW PA. 

If you are trying to power a vehicle with LNG or CNG vs. gasoline or diesel, I have not compared those costs.

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/17 15:25:39 (permalink)
    Natural gas prices are very variable.  It depends on where you live.  In some areas, it is cheaper and in others oil is cheaper.

I have lived in homes with both types of heat and I prefer natural gas.  I like to cook with gas.  I also have a gas fireplace that I can use for heat if the power goes out.  It is just my preference.

pax vobiscum +
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/17 15:43:34 (permalink)
    We're comparing the use of NG for both heating and to power vehicles. The argument was made that by drilling for NG in America, we will need less foreign oil, and that drilling for NG will result in lower, or more stable, gasoline prices. I argued that the demand for oil is so large, and increasing, that NG will not have any noticeable affect on the price of gasoline, due to a number of factors, including the limited use of CNG in vehicles.

OHWM
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/17 15:44:41 (permalink)
    When it comes to drilling, as long as it is done without damage to the aquifer or the streams, it is not a problem.  The issue that seems to be coming up here is when a problem does occur, the results can be devastating.  I would hate to see a great stream like 20 mile ruined and a lot of people in Notheast have their wells polluted.

pax vobiscum +
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/18 01:13:14 (permalink)
    If the only people that could trade oil contracts would be those that have the facilities to take actual delivery of the oil the price of oil would be then based on supply and demand.What we pay now is what speculators sitting at their computers drive the price to,it has next to nothing to do with supply and demand.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/18 06:22:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

We're comparing the use of NG for both heating and to power vehicles. The argument was made that by drilling for NG in America, we will need less foreign oil, and that drilling for NG will result in lower, or more stable, gasoline prices. I argued that the demand for oil is so large, and increasing, that NG will not have any noticeable affect on the price of gasoline, due to a number of factors, including the limited use of CNG in vehicles.

What we're actually talking about is energy costs! When oil was under $20.00/barrel you had gas (for cars, etc.) under a $1.00/gallon. Now that the demand has increased fueled by our own increased consumption, and that of Russia, China, India, etc. driving the price up, it has made it economical to develop ways to extract gas from the various shales that heretofore was uneconomical. Back in the sixties, one of my friends went to work for Niagra-Mohawk Electric in NY and I asked him how much coal they used?? He responded none, that they were using oil! They're developing alternatives that include natural gas fired power plants, wind, "clean" coal, nuclear, all of which meet with various degrees of resistance from the "antis", but which will be necessary for our future energy needs, if we are going to maintain our standard of living for our children and grand-children!

I feel that we are currently experiencing an adjustment and equaliztion period, and that oil at $80.00/barrel ++ is going to be the price and the predictions that this will create maybe 20% inflation will occur. In other words, the cost of living is going up and we are going to have to live with it and deal with it, not to mention budget our funds for hunting and fishing! As I mentioned before, we not only have to look at today, but consider tomorrow and the future!

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/18 13:22:33 (permalink)
    Sono,

The use of CNG for vehicles, can not, and will not be as limited in the coming years. The same with other alternatives. Yes, cost is somewhat prohibitive presently, but those costs will decrease as more come on line. Any new technolgy is expensive in the beginning ( think PC's, cell phones, HD TV's ), because R & D ( and tooling ) costs are spread out over a limited number of units. Once they catch on, and sales increase, those costs can be spread out over more units, and the price goes down. While it may not seem a practicle course. It is, and WILL BE a necessary course. Like it, or not oil ain't gonna be around forever, and what's left is becoming increasing expensive, and risky to extract. The "It's too hard", or "It's too expensive" attitude, is not what lead to this country becoming a world leader. But it may very well be what brings us down from the top.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/01/18 15:57:06 (permalink)
    We can wait for the Chinese to develop the vehicles and then import them.  Isn't that the new American business model????

pax vobiscum +
    Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/02/01 11:05:29 (permalink)
    Congressional panel finds diesel fuel in fracking fluid
    Concerns raised on drinking water
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011
    By Matthew Daly, The Associated Press

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11032/1122078-503.stm#ixzz1CiwKC6IA

~by Henry David Thoreau~

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/02/01 12:49:35 (permalink)
    SonofZ,

All this gas drilling will directly and dramatically lower gas prices.

Within 5 years you'll be able to run your car by filling the tank with your flammable tap water.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/02/02 21:58:50 (permalink)
    I will be selling my water by five gallon buckets. If you would like some please PM me now.

NOTE: It is your responsibility to separate the flammable liquids from the drinking water.

The Deetz

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: 20 Mile and gas drilling 2011/02/02 22:40:43 (permalink)
    do you get a discount for every gallon after that?

I will be selling my water by five gallon buckets. If you would like some please PM me now.

NOTE: It is your responsibility to separate the flammable liquids from the drinking water.

The Deetz

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
    Jump to: