Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
fish whisper
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 529
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 16:31:58 (permalink)
I think the smolt are getting eaten just my theory, a lot more smallmouths then I used to see in walnut and other small creeks and I just think thats their major food source in there. I use spoons and rapalas that look like smolt at the tips of creeks during spring and harmer smallies. Plus big walleyes, plus they stock way to many smolt, i guarantee if they stocked less but bigger smolt the numbers would increase, plus if the increased size limits to 20 inches then we wouldn't have fishermen being the biggest predators
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 18:17:12 (permalink)
50 fish with 55 guys; thatsucks. it's a shame you can actually see them though... maybe thats the problem. i have heard some horror stories about elk and walnut. maybe the creel limit reduced would help; not for natural repro or returning fish, but moreso for the fish that actually make it back. maybe with a reduced creel limit the fish will be in more abundance throughout the year...and whisper, the larger smolts is a very good point...
deetz4352
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3549
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 18:39:47 (permalink)
Just a thought here , since there were so few fish on the "east side" this year and years past you all need to go to the "west side" to fish then. Dont complain if you "think" there were fewer fish on the east side. Its how its always been.
There has been the same numbers as years past IMO. The only difference has been the increase in anglers fishing for them. And if those increased numbers of anglers "take" fish home with them then of coarse there will be less fish to catch.
It aint rocket science.
 Im not the smartest guy by any means but if ya just look at it in the simplest of means the answer can be found. A lot of factors have an impact on the numbers of fish that return or do not return to the cricks each year. Pick a few of those factors that you feel are the ones that impact those numbers and quit complaining about it. The answers are there. Open yinz eyes and thee shall see.

The Deetz

The Deetz
Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 18:39:54 (permalink)
How do we grow larger smolts? Aren't they all around the same size at the time they need to be stocked?
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 18:53:42 (permalink)
"the smolt the PFBC stock now are 2-4 inched smaller than the smolts stocked previous years(good years).

they chose to stock smaller younger smolts in a effort to slash some of the feeding costs."

They stock the smolts when they are READY to be stocked, feed costs have nothing to do with it.

"3cu fish are mainly the ones you have seen the past couple years..
so, always support 3cu because as it is, they are the ones stocking your fish.".

The 3CU does a great job, and plays a vital role. So I'm not suggesting that folks not support them ( quite the opposite ).
However, while many fish you catch are 3CU stocked. The PF&BC stocks ten times the fish, that 3CU does. So the above statement,is FAR from accurate.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 18:58:50 (permalink)
There have been TWO down years. It HAS happened before, and it WASN'T a crises then. It's NOT a crises now. And it's won't BE a crises, when it inevitably happens again.

Please remove your finger, from the panic button.
post edited by spoonchucker - 2011/01/11 18:59:39

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 19:30:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thedrake

How do we grow larger smolts? Aren't they all around the same size at the time they need to be stocked?

don't know myself, but IF predator fish are an issue; stocking the smolts at a larger size and maybe closer to the lake would maybe increase lake return smolts... i just thought whisper had a decent point; i myself dont have the answer. i'd say creel limits though would definitely help . put 10000 fish in a barrel and let 1000 fisherman fish for them for months at a time(no fact base numbers, just a generalization)... the fish are bound to run out...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 19:33:46 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

There have been TWO down years. It HAS happened before, and it WASN'T a crises then. It's NOT a crises now. And it's won't BE a crises, when it inevitably happens again.

Please remove your finger, from the panic button.

you are most likely 100 percent right. the hook always brings it back; no pun intended... i remember years where fish were sparse; even many years straight where there were more lake trout than steelhead in my common waters... everyone was worried of course; but now we are having the third phenomenal steelhead season on the eastern end of lake ontario... many are saying this year might be the best...i will say though that i belive catch and release practices that have broadened in the past 10 years has contributed a lot...
post edited by dimebrite - 2011/01/11 19:38:58
><>er man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 19:35:54 (permalink)
I haven't caught a steelhead in about 3 months!!!!!!!! Wish the runs were as big as they were a few years ago. or maybe i need to just get off the couch and drive up and do some fishing. hahaha 
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 19:46:07 (permalink)
" put 10000 fish in a barrel and let 1000 fisherman fish for them for months at a time(no fact base numbers, just a generalization)... the fish are bound to run out.."

Not when you are consistently putting another 10,000 back in the barrel. Or in this case 1.2-1.5 million.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 19:55:59 (permalink)
Dime,

I know folks always want "an answer", and that can be good. In this case, they're looking for an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

You ? does deserve one though.

The predators in question, are IN the lake. So stocking smolts closer would have no effect. Secondly, the predator "problem" is cyclical. The adult Walleye population should be on a downward swing. So predation will decrease as a result.

Also Creel rates no doubt appear higher than they actually are. Because IMO most folks focus more on the ones they see roped, than the ones they see released.

As for stocking size. To properly imprint, the smolt must be stocked at a certain stage. From conversations I have had with those involved. The fish's behavior in the raceway indicate when that occurs. Basically THEY tell us when it's time to stock them.
post edited by spoonchucker - 2011/01/11 20:00:10

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 19:57:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

" put 10000 fish in a barrel and let 1000 fisherman fish for them for months at a time(no fact base numbers, just a generalization)... the fish are bound to run out.."

Not when you are consistently putting another 10,000 back in the barrel. Or in this case 1.2-1.5 million.

you're just misunderstanding me spoon... i'm referring to the fish that actually return for that year. let's use a round number of 20000 fish returning to whatever river you want to think of. now in the first two months of that season there are 2000 fisherman that each kept 6 fish with in those 2 months. that is 12000 less fish for the rest of the season. so now there are only 8000 fish left in the river system for anglers to catch... maybe this explains my point better than the last...
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 20:15:51 (permalink)
Dimee,

Im get you, but with harvest rates fairly consistent at 22-25%, I don't see this as a problem. Nor does the PF&BC, hence the limits. I have never had a problem finding fair-good numbers in late winter, even mid spring. Sure, there might have been more, with less harvsest. But it begs the question, ( How many do you/we need? ). There should be a balance between the ( needs? ) of the CR guy, and the meathunter. How much do limit their right to harvest, in order to have more fish for you/us to play with? Particularlly in a put & take fishery. From my observations, the current creel limits keep that balance, in balance.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
eyeassassin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 847
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 20:34:51 (permalink)
went to 20 a few times this year and caught fish everytime i was there it was fun

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
streamerfisher1
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 21:19:52 (permalink)
the fish are ther you just have to work for them and walk a ways its good for you and gets you away from the crowds.as eyeassassin said i too have caught fish about everytime up and the few times i didnt catch fish they were ther cause others were catching them or i could see them.not everybody keeps a limit of fish as you seem to think i see a lot more released than kept. non human predators are more of a problem than the people. and yes the numbers are down but i still catch fish and if i only catch 1 or 2 or even zero i was in the great outdoors and enjoyed my time. what more could you ask for.
wishfishin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 519
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 21:57:20 (permalink)
Good to see this ol' board has a little life in her yet...
jaymztrain
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 22:10:39 (permalink)
Have any of you pessimists fished anywhere else other than Erie? I've been to 48 states and never seen such small tribs packed with fish. Ever fished a river instead of a "stream" or "crick"?

The color yellow really does make me sad......

KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 22:39:01 (permalink)
"worlds greatest fishery"... in the world

ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/11 23:03:07 (permalink)
I thought this year was an improvement over last year...whenever we were able to find open water and not have knee surgeries that is.

Again, its a manufactured fishery...as long as they keep stocking the fish, it will always be better than average steelheading. Theres a much tougher element to avoid when fishing Erie tribs anymore and it has nothing to do with the amount of fish, skill levels or conditions. Anywhere you go...Tricky
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/01/11 23:04:40

dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/12 06:46:01 (permalink)
sorry for coming off as a pessimist; in recent years i myself keep a fish here and there. I don't fish erie, but in my kneck of the woods (eastern lake ontario) we have had 3 banner years in a row. lots of big, average, and small fish... we've also had periods of time and years in a row where fishing was spotty. shut up is right though, steelhead are tricky...i've always believed in the 90-10 theory if you know what i mean...i will say though that increased catch and release in past 10 years seems to be making a difference on my waters. tight lines guys...
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/12 06:55:18 (permalink)
90-10 ??

90% whine about not enough fish while 10% go fishing and catch fish.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/12 07:40:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

90-10 ??

thats a good one bing... my 90-10 was referring to 10 percent of all fisherman catch 90 percent of the fish... you'll never hear this boy whining about not enough fish :)
rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2146
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/12 08:35:03 (permalink)
I think we're spoiled. At a lot of the streams on the west coast,having ONE HOOKUP means an outstanding day of steelheading.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/12 09:08:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

90-10 ??

thats a good one bing... my 90-10 was referring to 10 percent of all fisherman catch 90 percent of the fish... you'll never hear this boy whining about not enough fish :)

I was being a smart arse..
We alaways subscribed to the 90-10 as 10 percent of the water holds 90 percent of the fish. I f you fish in the right ten percent you can be one of the 10 percent that catch 90 percent of the fish...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3030
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/12 09:12:50 (permalink)

90-10 ??

sealegs2
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/12 09:14:08 (permalink)
It would be interesting to se if there is any correlation between the size of the stocked smolts and the returns generated. Does anyone know how long the fish comission has been stocking smaller fish?

I understand that the fish comission stocked some steelhead this past summer into Trout Run. Seems like an odd time to stck smolt given the lake temperatures in July and August.

Whatever the reasons for the diminished returns I think the first place to look is at any changes that the fish comissions has made to the stocking program meaning numbers, timimg of stocking and placement of stocking.
I am also curious as to the sucess of stocking Conneuat Creek in the last few years and whether this has impacted the returns in Pennsylvania.
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/12 09:19:04 (permalink)
Numbers of steel in our tribs are FAR from natural. I think the return rate and numbers of steel stocked have far more to do with fishermen success than C&R ever will in a manufactured fishery like ours. Basically, IMO, C&R is not a necessity on any of the stocked Erie or Ontario tribs. Its called appropriate daily bag limits and They will be replaced.

Nope, steelhead aren't tricky at all
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/01/12 09:20:53

glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/12 09:35:23 (permalink)
The East side of 20 Mile definetly had more fish than the West side of 20 Mile, but I found the most fish were concentrated in the ENE section. This can be simply explained by the directional 5 degree shift of the spinning of the earth on it's axis during the atumnal equinox. I should also note that 100% of fish hooked were hooked in the lower left corner of the mouth which is consistant with the above facts.
Do rely on this info for planning trips because it could change at any time. PM me for up to date reports.
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/12 14:55:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rippinlip

I think we're spoiled. At a lot of the streams on the west coast,having ONE HOOKUP means an outstanding day of steelheading.

+1 nuff said

I have become comfortably numb
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Eastern Tribs/Food for Thought 2011/01/12 15:06:21 (permalink)
Let's try this again.

The PF&BC is stocking the SAME size smolts, at the SAME time as always. And in the same general numbers +/= 5% or so.

THe one difference there might be ( and I'm not sure this is the case ). Is when they collect the eggs. Are they taking more from late runners, as opposed to early runners. If this were the case, it might result in the "runs" being spread out more evenly thru the season. Rather than a few very large runs early.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: