pretty good news

Author
bluntman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 684
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/07 22:59:22 (permalink)

pretty good news

Pymatuning Lake 2010 Fall Walleye Survey Results Make It A Three-Peat For Success
Dec 21
Written by: ODNR Division of Wildlife
12/21/2010 
Pymatuning Lake 2010 Fall Walleye Survey Results
Make It A Three-Peat For Success
 PYMTAUNING LAKE, OH - Usually, a “three-peat” refers to a professional sports team winning a championship three years in a row.  For Pymatuning Lake, a three-peat means that the Ohio Division of Wildlife and the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission have discovered that there have been three successful years of survival of first-year walleye since 2008. A change in stocking strategy appears to be boosting the walleye population in Pymatuning Lake, which began dwindling in 2001.  Since that time, biological changes in the lake had resulted in poor survival of walleye that had been traditionally stocked as ¼-inch fry each April.  This stocking strategy, initiated by the Ohio Division of Wildlife and Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, involves stocking lower numbers of larger walleye fingerlings (one inch plus) during late May and early June.  Fall surveys, conducted jointly by Ohio and Pennsylvania, indicate that first year survival of walleye from 2008 through 2010 has been the best observed since 2000.  Each September, these shoreline, night-time electrofishing surveys are implemented to gauge survival of walleye that were either stocked during spring or resulting from natural reproduction.  Based on survey results, fisheries biologists expect that walleye stocked during the 2008-2010 period will be rebuilding the fishery in Pymatuning Lake.  The 2009 year class of walleye, in particular, is anticipated to provide exceptional fishing because survey results were more than twice those realized in 2008 or 2010.After three successful years of stocking fingerlings, fisheries biologists are optimistic about the recovery of the walleye fishery.  Virtually all walleye from the 2008 year class should exceed the 15-inch minimum length limit during spring of 2011.  A substantial percentage of those walleye stocked in 2009 should reach 15 inches by mid-summer of 2011, whereas fish stocked in 2010 will start to reach that benchmark by mid-summer of 2012.  Pymatuning Lake has been one of the best inland walleye fisheries in either Ohio or Pennsylvania.  Successful survival of walleye stocked during the past three years should provide great expectations for the future of the walleye fishery at Pymatuning Lake.

4 Replies Related Threads

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: pretty good news 2011/01/08 00:52:00 (permalink)
    bluntman, that is awesome. thanks for posting this. guess i am back in the saddle this spring. i waded that lake from the mid 70s until three years ago for spring eyes, but quit when the bottom dropped out. this is really great news.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: pretty good news 2011/01/08 07:02:01 (permalink)
    WooooHoooooo......Good news for sure..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: pretty good news 2011/01/08 10:28:17 (permalink)
    I fish this lake very frequently and it's great to hear they're trying different strategies.  The walleye fishing lately has been average, but nothing near what it used to be 10 years ago.  Thanks for the info!
    Icefisherman52
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: pretty good news 2011/01/09 10:13:41 (permalink)
    I have Icefished the lake 3 times this winter and have not got a walleye yet. I used to have 5-6 fish days all the time back in the mid to late 90's, anywhere you went you caught fish. I have a 2+ hr drive to the lake and its just not worth the drive anymore. 
    Jump to: