Three rods in Pa.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
TastyTrout
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 732
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2010/12/30 18:19:27 (permalink)
idiodic idea for Steelhead but otherwise a good idea for OPEN bodies of water
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2010/12/30 19:01:47 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: doubletaper

and i never thought of ice fishing.

Rotten greedy ice fishermen are allowed to use 5 rods.....

We should not measure all fishermen and their ethics by the use of the First Day Bucket Brigade or the Wall of Nuts as our standard...

Although I would like to see DT tryin to throw 3 fly rods at the same time.

Do away with the first day madness and don't publish the stock truck dates and you can solve 90% of the problems on inland streams..

They could easily make the tribs a 2 rod only area as well to alleviate the problems in this congested area...

They could define "under immediate control" to a set distance that you can have your rods spread out...

Carp, Musky, Walleye, Panfish, Catfish fishermen could all benefit from this..
Only problem seems to be on the trout streams.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2010/12/30 19:55:50 (permalink)
Two lines from shore, three in a boat. Sounds like a plan. I have tried to keep track of three lines when fishing on a pier in Nags Head. It is not easy to properly attend to three lines, especially when the fish are biting. I would think that two lines is plenty when fishing from shore.

pax vobiscum +
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2010/12/31 00:33:38 (permalink)
jus fish

I have become comfortably numb
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9827
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2010/12/31 09:55:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bughawk

Two lines from shore, three in a boat. Sounds like a plan. I have tried to keep track of three lines when fishing on a pier in Nags Head. It is not easy to properly attend to three lines, especially when the fish are biting. I would think that two lines is plenty when fishing from shore.

I can't tell you how many fish that I have lost with the - 1 bait rod & 1 plugging rod in the surf. At least there, you have seemingly endless shore line, and even when crowded, guys give you 50+ feet.

3 rods in PA is a horrible idea IMO. OK for boat trolling/jigging, but don't think you can leave the shore guys out, unless it is some sort of boating 3 rod stamp.

Many that fish with a chair and rod holder are curtious people and could handle an additional rod in a thoughtful way. Issue is, on ALL PA waters (that I have fished) there are people that could care less about others though, including those on boats. The lazy lawn chair brigade which is my name for the most ignorant of these trash balls, should probably quit fishing and start exercising a bit more. I wish that was on the PFBC's new regulation agenda. Give these idiots an additional rod (many already go with 3)? These morons are the very reason that I and many others quit shore fishing the 3 rivers. I would never take my kids shore fishing to the rivers or any "trout lake" if this 3 rod deal came about, to avoid these idiots. I was raised fishing Cannonsburg Lake and the rivers, which 2 rod limit was constant untangling at peak times. Guys that got up at 4AM to stake out the 20+ feet between rods of the prime spots (on the trout lakes and 50' between on the rivers) would take up an additional 20'-50', leaving about half of the other license paying anglers virtually nowhere to fish.

I find the arguement rather amusing that "this gives the young kids a chance to catch more fish"??? What young kid can handle 2 rods on their own, yet 3? If they can do that, they can definitely handle the chaos of the Erie tribs. How would these young kids get up and race to the lake/stream/river to compete for the even less fish holding water available to them now.
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2010/12/31 11:04:05 (permalink)
Pork- People will use the "its good for the kids" excuse to try and justify anything. I've seen, at least a dozen times, fathers looking to fish for free using the "I just want to take my kid fishing argument". You can tell them 100 times "HE (the son) can fish, but you can't unless you have a license. You can help him bait the hook, and take the fish off, YOU just can't fish for free" then they say "C'mon, I guess a guy can't take his kid fishing". No, a guy just can't use his kid as an excuse not to buy a license like everyone else.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
Bogeyjoker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1704
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2010/12/31 15:40:40 (permalink)
I'm not certain as to where this proposed change originated from, but I only see a few applications where it would be feasible and or helpful. I can't imagine anyone is seriously considering this for stream fishing. However, it makes perfect sense for trolling, especially on Erie, or spider-rigging for crappie. Carp and Cat anglers would benefit from this as well. I haven't done this in years, but I don't recall too many instances where catfishermen were battling for real estate...it may happen, I've just never witnessed it. Other than that, what other applications does more than 2 rods make sense?
Bughawk
Pro Angler
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2010/12/31 16:03:35 (permalink)
I can see three for cats, but really I can't imagine why you would want to try to keep up with three rods unless you were trolling or had some set up in a boat. My guess is that most guys will fish the way they always fish no matter what the rule. I like to fish for cats, but if there is a three rod limit, I don't think I will take three. It can get a bit crazy at night with two lines out, let alone three.

pax vobiscum +
accordbw
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 374
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2010/12/31 19:12:28 (permalink)
Actually myself and the original poster of this thread started this proposal.We were trying to keep open minded and also keep in mind the issues that will come up with such a change. First of all I do quite well fishing but there is always a day where its slow and its tough to figure out a pattern. Allowing a 3rd rod will allow me to zone in on the changes faster and hopefully get more bites. As I have grown older I have also noticed that time in my life has grown shorter to enjoy my favorite past times. So the time I am out there I want to catch as many as possible in that alloted time.

There is always going to be people who are too idiotic to have any type of common sense. Why focus on these people? I am more interested in the 90% of people that want to enjoy themselves and respect others in doing so. If I am out fishing and not catching I will fish 3 rods if this happens. If I start catching a lot I will go down to 2 or even 1 rod based on my judgement of what I feel I can handle comfortably.

Now one thing I also felt was good is this. Lets say I am targeting a specific specie of fish with 2 rods that then allows me to target another specie with the 3rd rod. Now you will say you can do that with 2 but again your odds are greatly increased compared to 2. I can't tell you how many times I was fishing 2 rods and had a huge bass or pike crash near me and wished I could tie on a lure and use a 3 rod just to see if I could trigger a strike.

I would say boaters will benefit as already mentioned. The thing is I can't tell you how many times I see guys in boats using more than 2 rods per guy so this will just make it ok for what they already do. Its not just one or two guys either trust me.

Any angler can benefit from this. If you are even bass fishing or pike fishing where you are strictly using a single rod you could have live bait out on others and so on.Even though a limit may happen faster you still have to oblige by the limits mandated. Obviously a number wasn't pulled out of a hat in the limits so there may only be a little effect overall there. Now with the guys that get a limit and come back for more. Well go tell a game warden then because its not legal to do so.

I do see this being an issue on crowded streams for trout or steel head but again its not that you have to use 3 rods. Its merely a change that you can or can not choose to do. Most anglers will not use 3 in a crowded situation.Some will of course but after a few guys yell at them I am sure they will then reconsider and think what they can and can not handle.

Ok keeping up with the rest of the world.There are a lot of states that do allow 3 or more rods. All of these concerns do appear valid that are mentioned but if you go to the states that have 3 rods already you don't hear people complaining about it. Maybe the first year you will have some overuse of it and the fad will wear off. I need to check with my friend from south carolina I believe it is where he fishes with 10 rods and its legal to do so.Its up to the anglers to choose how they want to fish and if all these other states can do it and no issues then why magically should PA have an overabundance of issues associated with this?

Also the kid thing that was mentioned before can be valid or it can be an excuse. Again its up to the individual. If you have a kid that sits there fishing all day with no fish do you think he will enjoy himself when he can sit at home all day playing video games? No Not saying 3 rods is the answer but if that 3rd rod allows a single fish to be caught for that kid the odds of an excitment building for fishing just increased so isn't that worth it in a society where kids want to sit inside all day?

My last idea was the fact that if a 3rd rod is added it could be a nice economy booster for anyone and anything associated with fishing. You would need a new rod reel and terminal tackle and bait. Those who chose to fish a 3rd rod would also have a positive impact on the states economy.If 100,000 guys spent an extra $1 and if they spent an extra $100 it would really add up.

These are the main ideas I had in my idea of what I felt and some of the positives of what it would mean if a 3rd rod was passed. Hope this clears up anything you were wondering about what I was thinking in doing so. Thanks for reading.

ORIGINAL: Bogeyjoker

I'm not certain as to where this proposed change originated from, but I only see a few applications where it would be feasible and or helpful. I can't imagine anyone is seriously considering this for stream fishing. However, it makes perfect sense for trolling, especially on Erie, or spider-rigging for crappie. Carp and Cat anglers would benefit from this as well. I haven't done this in years, but I don't recall too many instances where catfishermen were battling for real estate...it may happen, I've just never witnessed it. Other than that, what other applications does more than 2 rods make sense?

post edited by accordbw - 2010/12/31 19:15:42
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/01 11:10:53 (permalink)
As long as there are daily bag limits, why limit how we attain them? I agree with Bug, make the change according to land or boat fishing....although I feel there should be an unlimited use of rods on a boat.

Bughawk
Pro Angler
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/01 11:59:43 (permalink)
Honestly, I think it will not make much of a difference. I usually only use one rod at a time when I am fishing because I am usually fly fishing or casting for muskies. Kinda tough trying to cast cast two fly rods at once.... I sometimes will use two when cat fishing, but once the sun goes down, I usually go to one simply because it is easier to keep track of and because I usually fish alone and when I do hook one, it is a pain if the fish gets tangled up in the other line... Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

The bag limits are the key. Keep them as they are for now and adjust them in the future as needed.

I would agree there will always be that small percentage of idiots out there who will find a way to screw things up for everyone, but hey, they are already doing that with a two rod limit or even with just one rod sometimes... i.e. the guy who decided to swing flies in the Stop sign hole and did not understand why the people he was constantly fouling up with were angry at him....

pax vobiscum +
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/01 12:33:32 (permalink)
I'm 36 and have been fishing since I was 4. I can't remember one single time in those 32 years that somebody using 3 rods around me instead of 2 would have negatively impacted my fishing experience.

I really fail to see what the fuss is all about with going to 3. Aside from maybe opening day on a lake, or a stream with a big, slow pool, I can't really see where this would create problems for anybody.

nw/jigmaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/01 14:27:42 (permalink)
All u opposed don't go to texas.. 5 rods is the limit.. just sayin 

Fish On !!!
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/01 15:05:14 (permalink)
i tend to agree with bug. last year at pymy, i set up for cats using two rods. once the bite started, i couldn't keep the two going. i think i would have enjoyed it more using one rod, but three would have been comical. 99% of my fishing is casting, either a fly or spinning rod, so i limit myself. however, i have seen crappie and cat fishermen on shore using two rods and doing little. a third would not have made that much difference. why not try it for a year and then listen to the pros and cons.

nw/jigmaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/01 15:20:07 (permalink)
Pymie on the ice   5 rods..  already allowed to do it..
Riverbum
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 294
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/01 16:26:10 (permalink)
it seems it would benefit the charter folks the most, but probably a can of worms

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
~by Henry David Thoreau~

mothermoose
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/01 19:54:44 (permalink)
I fish offshore and 3 rods per person would be a bonus... It would allow me to target different kinds of fish....Lake trout deep, then steelhead a little higher, then brown trout and walleye...

It will allow a chance to put some (Trout) rods out... Knowing that they might only fire once... lol

I enjoy trout fishing in the lake, but my time on the water is limited to weekends.. My fishing buddies never buy a trout stamp for reasons stated but with 3 rods...... It would be manditory on my boat... More $$$ going to the trout programs...

In my case 6 more trout stamps....

MM

What's another hunded dollors,when we are spending thousands, I mean THOUSANDS.
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/01 22:32:14 (permalink)
I'm a charter captain and I can't see how three rods would help on a charter trip. With 4 customers on my boat I can run 12 rods now and with 6 customers I can run 16 rods. 12 is a nice spread and i don't think I would run 18 with 4 customers or 24 rods with 6 customers.

Now when I'm fishingbwith a friend or 2 it would be nice to use the additional rods.

When I shore fish the rivers I normally am casting plugs or jigsnand 1 rod is all I can use there.

Catfish or carp fishing when it's slow, it would be nice to use an additional rod. I never had a problem with space at the river below the highland park dam while shore fishing. I could never use 3 rods when fishing with the kids they keep me plenty busy with 1 rod each

Stream fishing I can't see this being a problem most people only use 1 rod in the streams I fish.

Lake fishing for trout I can see a potential problem the first couple days and maybe the weekends for trout.

But why let this stop everyone from having the choice of using an additional rod to fish?

From what I understand the Fish Commission is looking at all or none for this proposal. They don't want to allow three rods for just boat or Erie fisherman.

Let's get this done!
YES, YES, YES
Bogeyjoker
Pro Angler
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/02 13:42:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: accordbw

Actually myself and the original poster of this thread started this proposal.We were trying to keep open minded and also keep in mind the issues that will come up with such a change. First of all I do quite well fishing but there is always a day where its slow and its tough to figure out a pattern. Allowing a 3rd rod will allow me to zone in on the changes faster and hopefully get more bites. As I have grown older I have also noticed that time in my life has grown shorter to enjoy my favorite past times. So the time I am out there I want to catch as many as possible in that alloted time...

...These are the main ideas I had in my idea of what I felt and some of the positives of what it would mean if a 3rd rod was passed. Hope this clears up anything you were wondering about what I was thinking in doing so. Thanks for reading.

ORIGINAL: Bogeyjoker

Accord,
You may have misconstrued my intent here. I'm all for the proposed change. I'm a offshore troller during the summer months and would love to be able to use 3 rods per person when I'm fishing by myself, or with one other guy. My point was to the people that thought it could be abused or create havoc in inland/small stream situations.

What I meant to get across was I didn't think very many people would be willing/able to use 3 rods while trout or steelhead fishing on small or medium size creeks. Same thing with perch fishing on the lake. I end up missing more hits by using two rods than with one when perching...anyone that could effectively manage 3 rods while perching would be my hero. It's not that I think people shouldn't be able to use 3 rods in these scenarios, it's just that it doesn't seem like it would be that desirable to do so.
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/02 14:41:13 (permalink)
I think DT can handle 3 fly rods at once, no problem....[and lite a cigar at the same time]..WF
accordbw
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 374
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/02 23:09:54 (permalink)
I apologize. After rereading it I can see your interest. Thats the only thing about the internet its hard to see what exactly someone means. A person could write a sentence and 10 people could all interpret it differently. Thank you for clearing it up for me.

I posted the rest just to clear up a few questions and comments others were expressing. Thanks for your approval on this!
BorgCollective
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/02 23:47:12 (permalink)
3 rods???
Why not legalize unattended trot lines as well???

3 rods with 3 hooks each or 1 line with 9 hooks, the math is the same.

Yes, we are still here!
fish whisper
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 529
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/05 16:13:37 (permalink)
good excuse to get a new rod
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/05 19:39:56 (permalink)
Come on, isn't it enough dealing with 2 rods? Do we really need a third? I'm not in favor of this, for reasons already mentioned.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
Bughawk
Pro Angler
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/05 19:57:11 (permalink)
Maybe the issue is how one attends to the rods. If a person is fishing in a an area where three rods are not bothering anyone, the fishing pressure is light and they can keep track of all three, I honestly don't have a problem with three rods. When there are lots of people around, all with three lines out, the fish are biting, and people are not able to keep up the fish on the lines, then this is a recipe for a mess. I would hope that the average fisherman would recognize when using three rods is appropriate and when it is not. Of course, there will be those who are clueless and would decide to set out three rods on the wall at Walnut in the middle of a run and pretty much screw up the fishing not only for themselves, but everyone around them... I guess there are some who could do that with just one rod...

pax vobiscum +
fish whisper
Expert Angler
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/05 21:17:51 (permalink)
OHHH S***!!! imagine when the pinners use three rodds at once 150 yards of drifting..won't that just be great!
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8537
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/05 22:28:24 (permalink)
whats a pinner...

fish whisper
Expert Angler
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/05 22:38:56 (permalink)
pinner definition; there guys who spend all their money on useless 20 foot trees with reels the size of car tires and use the whole creek for one drift
killdeer19
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 654
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/06 08:43:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Big Fathead

I'm a charter captain and I can't see how three rods would help on a charter trip. With 4 customers on my boat I can run 12 rods now and with 6 customers I can run 16 rods. 12 is a nice spread and i don't think I would run 18 with 4 customers or 24 rods with 6 customers.

maybe I'm missing something... How can you run 12 rods with 4 customers? 4 customers x 2 rods/person = 8 rods total (plus your 2 rods would be 10 max),not 14; OR 6 customers x 2 rods/person = 12 rods total (plus your 2 rods would be 14 max), not 16.

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Bogeyjoker
Pro Angler
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/06 08:51:07 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: killdeer19

ORIGINAL: Big Fathead

maybe I'm missing something... How can you run 12 rods with 4 customers? 4 customers x 2 rods/person = 8 rods total (plus your 2 rods would be 10 max),not 14; OR 6 customers x 2 rods/person = 12 rods total (plus your 2 rods would be 14 max), not 16.

The captain and first mate can run 2 rods each. Charters won't really benefit from this regulation change...they've got their spreads covered without it.
post edited by Bogeyjoker - 2011/01/06 08:57:03
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: